State Fairs

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
Luvstoeat
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/21 13:23:38 (permalink)
My family and I took in the Illinois State Fair last Saturday (who wouldn't want to see a full size cow sculpted out of butter?). There certainly were no food products which were any different from any other fair or carnival. We opted for the standards of corn dog, pulled pork sandwich and a rib-eye sandwich (which was the best of the bunch). I did see the "Walking Taco" being sold by a couple of vendors as well as one who advertised "Everything Fried" (Snickers, Twinkies, Pickles, etc.). We eventually broke down and got an order of curly fries which were just plain awful. There was locally produced ice cream and cheese in the dairy pavillion, but we were too full after knocking back a few bladder-buster soft drinks.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/21 16:09:55 (permalink)
The NYTs reviews the trans-fat-free offerings at the Indiana State Fair:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/us/21fat.html
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/21 17:53:19 (permalink)
OK, I made it to the Iowa State Fair and took a few photos. (Lost my digital camera so had to use a disposable. Sorry about the quality.

My obligatory corn dog

Foot-long corn dog

Pella Sausage on a stick and the Letter S

Iowa Pork Producers' Pork Chop on a Stick

Iowa Beef Producers' Hot Beef Sundae

BEER ON A STICK!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6393
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/22 02:33:29 (permalink)

I like the beer on a stick!
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/31 02:28:49 (permalink)
Well I'm back from the Great New York State Fair. It was truly amazing. I went to get out of the heat of North Texas but it was in the mid 90's on friday, the 21st. The food selections were outstanding. Anything you could think of. All of the European, Orient, South American, and the Near East was represented. My wife couldn't believe all the different types of food. New Yorks dairy,veggies, apple and maple industries were well represented. I had steamed clams, spanakopita(spinach and feta in phyllo), sausage and peppers, roasted corn and fried dough. The day I was there, the free bands were Poco, Pure Prairie League, and Firefall. The show lasted a cpl hours. The courtyard was big enough to lay down in the shade but the smell of the foods were so enticing. They were working on the sand sculpture but I did get to see the butter sculpture. I did all the exhibitions, the Iroqouis village and the animal bldgs. Bought t-shirts for me and dresses and purses for the wife. crocs (shoes) and toys for the grandkids. I'll post some pics when i get them downloaded. I hope you'all get to go to the fair's in your neck of the Us.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/31 11:28:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ynotryme

Well I'm back from the Great New York State Fair. It was truly amazing. I went to get out of the heat of North Texas but it was in the mid 90's on friday, the 21st. The food selections were outstanding. Anything you could think of. All of the European, Orient, South American, and the Near East was represented. My wife couldn't believe all the different types of food. New Yorks dairy,veggies, apple and maple industries were well represented. I had steamed clams, spanakopita(spinach and feta in phyllo), sausage and peppers, roasted corn and fried dough. The day I was there, the free bands were Poco, Pure Prairie League, and Firefall. The show lasted a cpl hours. The courtyard was big enough to lay down in the shade but the smell of the foods were so enticing. They were working on the sand sculpture but I did get to see the butter sculpture. I did all the exhibitions, the Iroqouis village and the animal bldgs. Bought t-shirts for me and dresses and purses for the wife. crocs (shoes) and toys for the grandkids. I'll post some pics when i get them downloaded. I hope you'all get to go to the fair's in your neck of the Us.

I could not possibly be any more jealous. I'm glad you had a good time.
Did you get the 25 cent milk? and, do they still give away free potatoes in the horticulture building?

can't wait to see your pics.
cecif
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/31 20:04:45 (permalink)
Oh and did you see any of the great music, ynotryme...????

I second being jealous.

ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
RE: State Fairs 2007/09/01 00:44:42 (permalink)
Yes, the Poco, PPL and Firefall. It lasted a couple of hours. All the hits and many album cuts. I even caught the last 30 minutes of the evening show. They have the shows twice a day, 4 and 8. It was great.The courtyard for the show is divided by a walkway. On one side, the stage and rows of seats and on the other, A grassy shaded area, large enuff to lay around in I've been waiting for months for the schedule to come out. I have all three bands in my music collections. My other choice would have been the next day, Sat., Dickie Betts with Great Southern and the Outlaws. I was at the fair from 11am till 10. It's a tremendous day and I would recommend it to anyone. The milk, white and chocolate, milked that day, is still 25 cents but the potatoes are now a $1, but you can have any amount of toppings. There's a large array of toppings and the butter and sour cream are extremely rich and fresh. And the food, from apples to eel rolls to Galumpkes to Zeppolle. It went on and on. Any thing I can imagine,though, grin. I could haved lived without imagining eel rolls.
jnb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: State Fairs 2007/09/01 21:23:48 (permalink)
State Fair of Texas. Dallas. September 28 - October 21, 2007.
Usual attendance about 3 million.
Specialties : Corny Dogs, Fried Ice Cream, etc.
National Historic Landmark for Art Deco exhibit buildings and museums.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6373
RE: State Fairs 2007/09/02 07:54:58 (permalink)
Here is a Minnesota State Fair food eating contest video.

http://www.startribune.com/10103/rich_media/1395444.html
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
RE: State Fairs 2007/09/03 22:16:25 (permalink)
News from the Texas State Fair: A panel of local celebrity judges picked the Fried Cookie Dough – a chocolate chip, pecan and coconut cookie base that's battered and fried – from among seven competitors. The other winners included deep fried latte for most creative. it's a cappucino ice ceam sundae on top of fried pastry with syrup, whipped cream amd instant coffee sprinkles.

11:57 PM CDT on Sunday, August 26, 2007
By KATIE MENZER / The Dallas Morning News
kmenzer@dallasnews.com

They make you fat and keep you awake.

MICHAEL AINSWORTH/DMN
Michael Levy eyes a Deep Fried Latte, the new dish that will debut at his family's State Fair of Texas concession stand this year. Mr. Levy hopes the dish will take top honors in the third annual Big Tex Choice Awards contest on Labor Day. No, they're not your kids.

They're the State Fair of Texas' new Deep Fried Lattes.

"We have gained about 10 pounds trying this. I'm not kidding," said Michael Levy, a concessionaire who will debut his family's new Deep Fried Latte at the fair this year.

"I've probably eaten 300 of these trying to get it right."

Also Online
Video: Cooking up a Deep Fried Latte

Tell Us: Which new food will be best?
Deep Fried Latte – a fried pastry topped with cappuccino ice cream, caramel sauce, whipped cream and instant coffee powder – is one of seven new fair foods that will battle for fried domination in the third annual Big Tex Choice Awards contest on Labor Day.

The fair is still more than a month away – it opens Sept. 28 – but it might be a good idea to start dieting now.

"I think they're good products," said Ron Black, the fair's senior vice president of food service and novelties. "We've got experienced concessionaires, and their products all taste really good."

There will be plenty of new foods to try at the fair this year, but State Fair officials, for their contest, pick a handful they believe will most likely elicit talk around the water cooler – and entice you to stand in line in the heat to fork over your precious coupons for a bite.

Along with the Deep Fried Latte, this year's entrees include four more fried desserts, an ode to the humble Frito pie and chips 'n' dip all rolled into one tiny package.

Still, can anything rival last year's fair frenzy – when one of the new foods was copied at fairs coast to coast, featured on morning television and became the butt of jokes for late-night comedians?

"I'm not sure we have another Fried Coke," Mr. Black said.

Even its creator, concessionaire Able Gonzales Jr., questions if he will ever invent an equal to his deep-fried soda pop.

"I don't think I be able to beat that type of excitement again," he said. "That was crazy."

Still, he's proud of this year's creation, Fried Cookie Dough.

It's chilled cookie dough that's battered and fried. He's going to make an "everything" cookie dough with chocolate chips, coconut and pecans, but he might also offer oatmeal raisin and plain chocolate chip versions.

Concessionaire Allan Weiss is following up last year's underground hit, Fried Avocadoes – it was a favorite among the fair staff – with this year's Zesty Fried Guacamole Bites.

It's a scoop of guac, breaded, fried and served with ranch dressings or salsa.

"The Fried Avocado went over so well, and I think people like guacamole even more than they like avocado," Mr. Weiss said.

Although past Big Tex awards have offered nonfried options, none of this year's entries have escaped the fryer. But only one of the entries is on a stick, a favorite utensil among ambulating fairgoers because it makes food easy to eat on the go.

Country Pride Peach Cobbler on a Stick is a peach cobbler with dumplings rolled in pastry dough and fried. The whole thing is covered in brown sugar and cinnamon and skewered.

"I'm a food engineer," said Cobbler on a Stick inventor Gigi White. "You really got to work it."

Off the stick will be Fernie's Fried Chili Frito Burrito. It's chili and Fritos wrapped in a flour tortilla that's fried and topped with various adornments of your choice, including cheese sauce, shredded cheddar, jalapeños, sour cream, hot sauce and onions.

"Some people might like it plain," said concessionaire Christi Erpillo, whose family operates The Dock in the Embarcadero Building. "It tastes great just as it is."

B.W.'s Original Fried Banana Pudding also uses a fried tortilla as its casing. Inside is banana pudding, and the whole thing is topped with whipped cream and powdered sugar or cinnamon.

The recipe belongs to B.W. Morrow, a longtime fair food vendor who died of a heart attack this year. His sister decided to enter the recipe in the contest to honor him.

"I want to win this for him," said Debbie Hays.

The final entry is Mama's Fried Sweet Potato Pie, which is pie filling stuffed in a flour tortilla and deep fried. It's topped with powdered sugar and cinnamon.

Concessionaire Brent Reaves said the pie filling is his great-grandmother's recipe, and it's tasty.

jnb
Junior Burger
RE: State Fairs 2007/09/04 01:30:38 (permalink)
In addition to the foods at the Midway and Food Court Building Concessions at the State Fair of Texas are the cooking demonstrations in the Arts and Crafts Exhibit Building with samples passed out to the visitors.
Across the street in the Food and Fiber Pavillion Exhibit Building are other samples such as freshly baked biscuits.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6826
RE: State Fairs 2007/09/04 07:34:53 (permalink)
Unfortunately the Alaska State Fair is pretty lame. For a state with such great natural resources one would think that it would be spectacular! We went once and that was it.
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
RE: State Fairs 2007/09/04 11:12:04 (permalink)
2007 New York State Fair
2007 butter sculpture
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
RE: State Fairs 2007/09/04 11:13:32 (permalink)
2007 New York State Fair
2007 sand sculpture
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
RE: State Fairs 2007/09/04 11:22:41 (permalink)
2007 New York Fair roosters
2007 roosters
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
RE: State Fairs 2007/09/04 12:03:07 (permalink)
Just a small piece of the Midway. You can see Syracuse University's Football dome in the top right of the pic. I saw Pink Floyd and the Rolling Stones there twice.
midway 2007 New York State Fair
mland520
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 485
RE: State Fairs 2007/09/04 12:26:45 (permalink)
The Texas State Fair is held in Dallas ( a large metro area); runs from the last week end of September til the third week end of October; has two huge college football week ends ( OU vs Texas & Grambling vs Prairie View); a play that runs for the entire time of the Fair- usually a really good musical; new car exhibits and all the farm animals and crazy hawkers and midway rides that all state fairs have; and then the FOOD- along with all the favorites mentioned above they try out new FRIED foods, this years latest new entry ( last year it was fried coke) is fried mocha latte- Can't wait to see and taste that one!
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: State Fairs 2007/09/04 14:43:05 (permalink)
I just read about a big heist at the Minnesota State Fair.

Seems a customer wanting a rarely ordered of hunk of turkey with skin at the Turkey Growers Association concession, boosted the days receipts when backs were turned getting his bird.

Evidently the safe was out front and open.

They think now would be a good time to start doing money pick-ups through out the day.
That and moving the safe.

$20,000.00 was the "special of the day"" />!

The suspected thief added insult to injury by leaving without his order.
jnb
Junior Burger
RE: State Fairs 2007/09/04 23:21:40 (permalink)
While not exactly up front as far as food goes, I would rate the New Mexico State Fair (Albuquerque) and the Oklahoma State Fair (Oklahoma City) as fairly interesting and well worth visiting, but the Louisiana State Fair (Shreveport) was a bit lame and a bit of a disappointment.
amuseme
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: State Fairs 2007/11/30 00:04:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Kiowa1

Texas State Fair... Corn Dogs, Turkey Legs, Bob's Fries, BBQ Bologna (really), PEDRO's TAMALES!!!, etc, etc etc...
Best day is the last day... vendors start to lower prices and compete with each other... a "going out of business sale" so to speak
amuseme
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: State Fairs 2007/11/30 00:08:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Kiowa1

Texas State Fair... Corn Dogs, Turkey Legs, Bob's Fries, BBQ Bologna (really), PEDRO's TAMALES!!!, etc, etc etc...
Best day is the last day... vendors start to lower prices and compete with each other... a "going out of business sale" so to speak

Has anyone got a picture of the Fletcher's corn dog mascot costume? I had a job many years ago with a franchise and was paid to dress up in one and never got a picture. Loved the deep fried jalapenos we made there.
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1