The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Steak Diane

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
Steak Diane Sat, 07/22/06 5:58 PM (permalink)
Never seen a thread about steak diane. I've got a simple recipe that comes out great every time. sirloin, not fillet (why ruin a good fillet?)

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
    RE: Steak Diane Sat, 07/22/06 7:31 PM (permalink)
    Perhaps because Steak Diane is supposed to be made with tenderloin medalions?

sk bob

RE: Steak Diane Sun, 07/30/06 9:31 PM (permalink)
      with all the ingredients involvedit shouldn't matter what kind of steak you use(as long as it's not butt steak), tenderized good,and dried it comes out good.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
        RE: Steak Diane Sun, 07/30/06 9:37 PM (permalink)
        Steak Diane
        The Food Maven
        Arthur Schwartz's New York City

1 (16 ounce) boneless shell steak (also called New York strip steak, short loin, or sirloin strip)
        Salt
        Freshly ground black pepper
        2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
        3 tablespoons finely minced shallot
        6 tablespoons cognac (or other good brandy)
        2 tablespoons dry white wine or dry vermouth
        2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (preferably imported)
        2 tablespoons A-1 steak sauce
        1/2 cup beef broth
        2 tablespoons heavy cream
        2 tablespoons finely snipped chives

Trim all the outside fat off the steak. The steak should now weigh about 12 ounces. Cut the steak in half horizontally, creating two 6 ounce steaks. Pound the steaks lightly to flatten them to 1/4 inch thick. Season them liberally on both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat a 12 inch skillet until a drop of water dances on the surface. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter. As soon as the foam subsides, add the seasoned meat. Cook on each side for 1 minute. Remove to a plate.

Immediately adjust the heat under the pan to low. Add the second tablespoon of butter and the shallots. Sauté the shallots for 1 minute. Increase the heat to high. Add 3 tablespoons cognac and flambe, if desired. Add the wine and with a wooden spoon scrape up any browning in the pan (deglaze the pan). Stir in the mustard and A-1 sauce. Cook for about a minute, or until the liquid is reduced to a syrup. Add the broth and continue to boil for about a minute, until reduced to a few tablespoons. Add the cream and stir well to incorporate. Boil a few seconds. Taste for seasoning and add freshly ground pepper to taste.

Add the remaining cognac and ignite.
        When the flames die down, stir in the chives, taste for salt and pepper, and adjust if necessary. Add the reserved steaks and their juices (that have accumulated on the plate) to the simmering sauce. Turn the steaks in the sauce a couple of times, as the sauce reduces a little more. Place the steaks on the individual plates. Divide the sauce on the steaks.

Serve with mashed potatoes or rice, or at least some bread to mop up the sauce.
        This dish serves 2 people.

sk bob

RE: Steak Diane Sun, 07/30/06 10:18 PM (permalink)
          to simplify the recipe, scallions instead of shallots, no wine,no vermouth, NO A-1, no cream, no beef broth, dried mustard powder instead of dijoin, chives of course. simplify it, try it, you are not going to taste that other stuff if it's there or not.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
            RE: Steak Diane Sun, 07/30/06 10:49 PM (permalink)
            Hey skbob, Here on this site we try to give a recipe that will produce the most delicious food possible. Your attempt to "simplify" will yeild a tastless piece of meat that I can not see anybody wanting to eat. This site is about quality! The nature of this recipe calls for all of these ingredients. Usually it is prepared tableside by a highly skilled waiter/chef such as myself. The recipe is actually quite simple if you have all if the ingregients within reach. This is known as mis en place or everything "in it's place". The prep time is the most important time you have to get everything you need for the dish together. With this dish it is imperritive that all ingredients are present and accounted for as you will not have time to look for anything later.

fabulousoyster, Great recipe!! I am looking forward to trying this preperation on Ribeye!

David O.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
              RE: Steak Diane Mon, 07/31/06 8:30 AM (permalink)
              You're welcome Boyardee65!

BarbaraCt

• Total Posts: 333
                RE: Steak Diane Mon, 07/31/06 9:06 AM (permalink)
                I have never seen this. I have used a similar recipe without the broth and A-1. You have to use the cream, though. (as well as the mustard, cognac, etc.) I like to use recipes that include chives, because I have a pot of them that I planted years ago that come up year after year. I feel great going out on the deck with my scissors and snipping away! To me, dried mustard powder is not easier than whipping out the grey poupon from the refrigerator. I use it for salad dressings, deviled eggs, and of course, ham sandwiches.

MandalayVA

• Total Posts: 367
                  RE: Steak Diane Wed, 08/2/06 5:52 PM (permalink)
                  This brings back memories of being a kid going out to dinner at the local Hilton (why we went I don't know) and ordering steak Diane after seeing the cook flame one up at a nearby table. I remember that the sauce also had sauteed mushrooms in it and that the steak wasn't pounded. I may have to try this--hopefully I won't burn the kitchen down.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com