Steak Ranch in Amarillo

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
2007/01/20 11:13:21 (permalink)

Steak Ranch in Amarillo

I am traveling next week and one of my stops is in Amarillo, TX. I have been invited to try the steaks at the Big Texan Steak Ranch. I am not exactly sure about the name.

I am not sure but I believe some have tried the steaks here and perhaps the big steak. Maybe it was The Mayor and his sons.

Obviously I will not try the 72 oz job.

Anyone know about the steak place?

I am flying into Minneapolis, driving to Fargo, Driving to Omaha, Driving to Lincoln, Driving to Amarillo, driving to Abilene, driving to Lubbock and then back to Houston. Long trip huh?

http://www.bigtexan.com/restaurant.htm

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

20 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/20 15:45:17 (permalink)
    Paul,
    Take extra care, The area you are driving thru is receiving some really nasty winter weather now. Keep us informed of your progress.

Now for the Amarillo info- The Big Texan Steak Ranch is on the local access road that runs beside I-40 (westbound lanes). It has a huge sign that you can't miss, on the eastern side of the city. They have a wide range of meat-meals on the menu, other than the 72 oz challenge steak. Two of my sons completed the big one within the time limits. I have never attempted it...and probably never will.

Dyers BBQ just off the I-40 in the heart of the city is a fair to good BBQ restaurant (not a dive or stand-up place). We have had some pretty good meals there.

Beans N Things on Amarillo St (old 66) is reviewed in Sterns book. It is a bit more run down. We like to grab some take-out from there when we are heading West, then follow the BNSF tracks into New Mexico leaving a trail 'Hansel and Gretal' like rib-bones along the way to help us find our way home!

Don't pass the chance of visiting the Bohemian Cafe in Omaha, if you are in the city itself. It is worth a side trip if you are looking for some great Czech food!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/20 17:11:22 (permalink)
    I sorta dread the drive but it goes with the territory. 2200 miles is a tough drive in the winter. Where is the Bohemian Cafe located in Omaha?

I am definately going to do the Texas Steak thing in Amarillo but it will not be the 72 oz thing.

I got a 7:00AM flight out of Houston for Minneapolis. Meeting brother there and we will do the Twin Cities Grill for walleye before watching the playoff games. I would like to see the Saints vs. Colts in the superbowl. I wondedr who Archie Manning would be for??? Obviously son Peyton but he has to have feelings toward the Saints.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/20 17:42:10 (permalink)
    I never tried eating the 72 ouncer (and all the fixin's, and the management decides what's edible gristle), but the normal-size steaks I've had at the Big Texan are pretty good.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/20 18:12:40 (permalink)
    Michael,
    We have stopped at the Big Texan at least a dozen times in the past 13 years. I would agree that the 'alternate' menu offerings are decent! We had one stop in 2004 that was terrible, but have since been there twice and the place seemed to be back on track. Their Brisket isn't bad either.

Paul, Here is the website for the Bohemian Cafe in Omaha. It is reviewed in detail in the restaurant review section here on Roadfood.
    http://www.bohemiancafe.net/location.htm
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/21 07:49:45 (permalink)
    We were at the Big Tex a few weeks ago on our Rte. 66 trip. You also might consider the chicken fried steak. I had that and it was excellent. Also the beans are wonderful. All the steaks are cooked on a fire in view of the dining area and looked excellent as M. Stern pointed out.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/21 13:34:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Michael,
    We have stopped at the Big Texan at least a dozen times in the past 13 years. I would agree that the 'alternate' menu offerings are decent! We had one stop in 2004 that was terrible, but have since been there twice and the place seemed to be back on track. Their Brisket isn't bad either.

Paul, Here is the website for the Bohemian Cafe in Omaha. It is reviewed in detail in the restaurant review section here on Roadfood.
    http://www.bohemiancafe.net/location.htm

Al, I will be in Omaha on Wednesday and I will definately do the Bohemian.

I will be in Amarillo on Friday evening and Saturday and I will visit the Steak House. Oneiron tried the chicken fried steak and that sounded really good. I saw it on their menu. I do not know yet and will probably make up my mind once I get there. I was leaning toward the ribeye???

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7896
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/21 14:00:47 (permalink)
    Paul, I see you're going to be in Fargo
    If you have a chance you should stop at either The Old Broadway or Jim Lauerman's for their Beer Cheese Soup> Both are located Downtown.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/25 20:54:15 (permalink)
    I am OKC now but I will be leaving for Amarillo early in the morning and I am looking forward to trying the Texan Steak place tomorrow evening. Al suggested that I do the chicken fried steak and that I will. I believe Oneiron did the same.

I have had a heck of a week. I flew into Minneapolis this past Sunday, worked Minneapolis on Monday, worked Fargo on Tuesday, Worked Omaha and Council Bluffs on Wednesday, worked Lincoln on Thursday and I am here in OKC now waiting to drive to Amarillo tomorrow. Will be drivinng to Abilene and Lubbock on Saturday and then back to Houston. About 2200 miles.

I need a good steak.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/25 21:06:23 (permalink)
    The Big Texan is a Large Place. Don't go in expecting a 'clubby' intimate sort of dining area. It is more like a Skating Rink or Convention Hall. Even though you aren't going to try the 'Big One', take a look at the display version out by the door. Even looking at it fills me up!!

Drive Careful my Friend. Just a couple of weeks to go til we get together.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/25 21:15:06 (permalink)
    I gurantee that I will not try the big one. Maybe a small chicken fried steak and a few sides. That is all. I do not expect a very fancy place. I have already reviewed their web site. I am sure that it is very spartan, Texan and just perfect.

Thanks Al for the wishes.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/26 07:16:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I gurantee that I will not try the big one. Maybe a small chicken fried steak and a few sides. That is all. I do not expect a very fancy place. I have already reviewed their web site. I am sure that it is very spartan, Texan and just perfect.

Thanks Al for the wishes.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

The CFS is fairly large also, but after a long drive you should be able to polish it off. Don't forget the beans, they were wonderful. Even in my sordid past I wouldn't have tried the 72 oz'er. See you in a few.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/26 14:23:06 (permalink)
    Oneiron and Al. I drove by the Steak place earlier today. I am picking a buddy up at the airport in Amarillo at 4:00PM and we will stop by there on the way back to the Residence Inn.

As the both of you suggested, I will try the chicken fried steak.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3737
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/26 14:34:42 (permalink)
    Be sure and ask your server if anyone in the dining room is trying to eat "the big one"..........if someone is, and sitting near you, it is a lot of fun to watch them go at it!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/26 15:02:15 (permalink)
    Greymo, Do they do it on stage or just at the table?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/26 15:26:42 (permalink)
    LOL No stage! But the servers are always most happy to tell you if there are any diners trying to munch their way through this meal AND if you are sitting nearby, you can watch the fun!
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/26 15:31:25 (permalink)
    Not to be repetitive, but I was going to put in my son's recommendation for the chicken fried steak. He ate CFS for breakfast and/or dinner just about every day on a trip from SoCal to Chicago, to Ohio and back and declared Big Texan the winner.

I seem to remember a 'stage' for those attempting to earn to free 72oz steak dinner. Big timer clock behind the 'guest of honor'(infamy?) seat. We apparently just missed someone's attempt because not all the dishes had been cleared yet when we passed it on the way to our table. I assumed that's what it was, anyway, because the table was raised somewhat above main dining floor.

My other son had the New York, hubby had TBone, and I had the ribeye. All were most excellent. After sharing bites all around, each of us declared our own choice the best of the evening!

Gotta love the kitschy motel and giant steer...Don't forget to set a spell in the giant rocking chair...

Safe travels to you!

(We have often thought of mail-ordering the 72oz-er to fix at home and share 4 ways!)
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/26 15:33:37 (permalink)
    they used to sit the people who were attempting to eat
    the 72 ouncer on a stage facing the entrance. when we were
    there, a trucker we met attempted to eat one. as hungry as he
    was, he only finished about a third but didn't mind paying
    for the experience alone.
    we spent the night in the motel there. the swinging bar doors on the
    bathroom was cute..for about 10 minutes.
    this was in 2005 so it very well may have changed.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/26 16:08:38 (permalink)
    OK you are probably correct. I have not been there in four years. I guess that is a good idea as the last time we were there, there were many people who had gotten up and gathered at a table when a fellow had 5 minutes to go and it seemed like he could make it......alas, he did not. He could no longer swallow.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/27 18:14:25 (permalink)

OK Paul, What Happened? Did you decide to take on the 72 oz. Monster? Are you washing dishes to pay your check? Do we need to call a Bail Bondsman to help spring you out of Amarillo?
    Inquiring minds need to know??
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Steak Ranch in Amarillo 2007/01/29 09:49:51 (permalink)
    I made the stop and I had planned on getting the chicken fried steak but when I saw others getting good looking steaks, I opted for the rib eye.

Salad was great, bake potato was super and the ribeye I got was full of grisel and not tender. I brought it to the attention of the server and they brought me another. Same thing happened. I barely had a bite of it.

They did not charge me for it and that was OK but I really wanted a good steak. It smelled good.

I met a friend there and they got the filet. It was very good and tender. I just wanted the marble and taste.

Perhaps I caught them on a bad steak day??

I sat in front of the stage hoping to enjoy the 72 oz marathon but no one attempted it while I was there.

They do a lot of business.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1