Steak Sauce, or not?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/22 11:58:52 (permalink)
The steak has been a failure if I have to uncap the sauce.

But a good bernaise complements a chataeubriand at Raleigh's "Angus Barn" or Omaha's "Johnny's", and dipping "Peter Luger's" porterhouse in the pooled juices on the serving dish is altogether different from pouring on A-1 or 57.
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/22 17:36:17 (permalink)
The last time I grilled steaks I marinated them for about 10 minutes in a little Worcestershire sauce as an experiment, which I will not repeat. Normally I salt & pepper them. Yes, salting meat before long, slow cooking toughens it, but in the case of grilling a steak--or hamburger--the salt just brings out a little of the juice, which causes the crustiness we love.

My dad added that pat of butter at the end, but on Food TV they showed a "grill-your-own-steak" restaurant where the chef critiqued the customers' techniques. Chef said the customers added too much butter while he was apparently flinging melted butter on the steak while grilling. What's up with this? Please tell me how to grill steak with butter.
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/22 18:28:04 (permalink)
I have never grilled with butter, but I do use a little olive oil. In fact, I bought some a prime rib eye and strip steak today and will grill them in the Tuscan manner: place them in a little of the best EVOO, add a crushed clove of garlic, sea salt (you heard me, SALT), and some freshly ground black pepper. Let sit about an hour and build a two stage fire (very hot on one side of the grill, and very low on the other) of hardwood or hardwood charcoal. Grill on hot about 2 minutes per side, turning only once, and transfer to the low part of the grill, add some soaked hickory chips, and cover. Cook to no more than medium-rare. Let sit about 5 minutes or so before cutting into them. You need nothing else but a desire to have some of the most flavorful steaks you ever tasted. Two-inch porterhouse or bone in rib eye are best, but hard to come by.
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/23 01:08:53 (permalink)
I confess to liking all kinds of steak sauces, but when I do have what seems to be an especially well grilled piece of meat, I will definitely eat it naked.

I also like a nice thick blanket of buttery mushrooms on steak.

And make my own dipping sauce of sour cream and yellow mustard. Very piquant with a nice bloody piece of cow.
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/23 01:10:30 (permalink)
One thing I definitely do NOT like, and that is grill base so many restaurants use, far far too salty.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/23 01:30:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

I would never ruin a good steak with bottled sauce. If it needs bottled sauce, it's not a good steak and simply isn't worth the bother. You might as well overcook it and drown it in ketchup. In that case, save your money and eat an old Dr. Scholl's shoe liner.

Marinades, pan sauces, and reductions are another matter, but I assume you are talking about gloop like A-1 and its other myriad and sundry bottled bilious brethren.

I like to top off my steak with A-1 sauce! Shoot me now, but I like the added flavor. Now if I have a Prime Rib Eye, normally it has plenty of flavor that I would never use any sauce. But even with some of your better butchers, you still get cows not fed properly resulting in poor taste (commercial feed, or the ones adding cemet mix to the food to increase gross weight for sale purposes).. Then there's buy Angus thats not true Angus... But when you find a true grain fed cow, that sauce will sit on the shelf a little longer considering so much less is needed!
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 634
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/23 01:40:38 (permalink)
I now i'm the minority, but I lather my steaks, pork chops, roast, etc,,,in steak sauce or worcestershire sauce all the time. I suppose I dont have a very distinguished pallet, but I enjoy my Jim Beam and A-1 steak sauces.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/23 05:44:33 (permalink)
Why all the apologies from the people who like touse steak sauce? When I was young, I loved steak sauce, thought it was the only way to eat a steak. Then I was told that true steak lovers do not use sauce and I thought that was interesting so gave it a try. I now prefer it that way myself, but wouldn't belittle someone else who liked sauce.

carl reitz
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/23 08:54:30 (permalink)
salt and pepper! Although,HP sauce from the U.K. is a treat at times,I use it on hamburgers and the occassional 'cheaper-cut steak
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/23 15:26:40 (permalink)
A nice choice rib eye, grilled to med rare on the Weber, slap it on the plate next to a pile of mashed potatoes. Let it sit for a minute or two after salting (and pepper) so that the juices run out.

Slice off piece by piece and bathe them in the AuJus and alternate with the buttered potatoes which, once the meat is gone, are mixed with the remaing juices and eaten. Ahhhhhh!

Don
Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/23 16:44:02 (permalink)
I'm half and half, I like a little on the side and dip some of my pieces into it. Or, I'll saute mushrooms in a bit of cream, mustard, rosemary and broth for a side. I started realizing that plain was maybe better when I was cutting up the dogs steak and his tasted better than what I had just eaten.

I am very liberal with the salt. I believe it's a myth that salt will dry out a steak, it's just not going to have any drying effect that quickly.
danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/11/30 16:49:05 (permalink)
Nothing less appetizing than a good steak ruined with A-1 sauce poured all over it.

Worcestershire, on the other hand, has some fine points, especially when the meat isn't very high quality. I enjoy it on hamburgers, for instance. But a great steak needs very little seasoning, if any.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/11/30 16:57:19 (permalink)
Nevah. Nevernevernevernever.
Buckshot
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/11/30 17:22:31 (permalink)
I never use steak sauce on my steaks, as the marinade that I use makes salt, pepper or steak sauce unnecessary. Occasionally I'll use steak sauce or ketchup on hamburger steaks. Sometimes I'll fix a teriyaki ribeye though.

Buckshot
Bill B.
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/11/30 17:30:52 (permalink)
Ah gits me a big ol' hunk'a Argentina sirloin from Wally World, and ah throws it in a hot skillet for an hour...And when all the juice has cooked out and there ain't no pink in that puppy anywhar, ah puts it in the microwave and nukes it on high til it whistles...Then ah biles it in a pot of water for an hour...Then I throws it in the skillet and grills it some more, just to put some brown back on it...Then ah cracks me a fresh bottle of Heinz 57 and -- whoo-eeee! -- that there's some FINE eatin', let me tell ya. Just don't make the mistake of overcookin' it.
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/11/30 17:42:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bill B.

Ah gits me a big ol' hunk'a Argentina sirloin from Wally World, and ah throws it in a hot skillet for an hour...And when all the juice has cooked out and there ain't no pink in that puppy anywhar, ah puts it in the microwave and nukes it on high til it whistles...Then ah biles it in a pot of water for an hour...Then I throws it in the skillet and grills it some more, just to put some brown back on it...Then ah cracks me a fresh bottle of Heinz 57 and -- whoo-eeee! -- that there's some FINE eatin', let me tell ya. Just don't make the mistake of overcookin' it.

You forgot an important step! After you pour the Heinz 57 on you must put in oven at 200 degrees for 1 hour
Bill B.
Cheeseburger
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/11/30 17:52:44 (permalink)
Yes'm, ah'll have to try that. Sounds like you really know your way 'round a skillet. Didja ever cook fer a passel'a trail bums?
jlobough
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 94
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/11/30 18:39:00 (permalink)
I think one of the big difference makers here is whether you drown the meat in steak sauce or dip it. Personally, I see no issue in dipping the meat (especially if it isn't the greatest cut of meat) and haven't seen too many who admitting to drowning their steak in the "evil sauces". Then again, I'm a bit uncultured.

I did realize though (after hearing the many viewpoints on here) that the best steaks I've ever had were occasions that I didn't need to open the bottle. Anything that makes you think is definitely a good forum topic.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/11/30 18:40:44 (permalink)
Properly cooked, the meat should speak for itself.
danimal15
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/12/01 13:43:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bill B.

Did you ever work for Denny's?
Bill B.
Cheeseburger
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/12/01 14:16:00 (permalink)
At the restaurant where I worked, our motto was "All you'll care to eat..."
elswinger
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/12/01 14:37:18 (permalink)
If I get an expensive steak (whether I cook it at home or spend $40 at a restaurant) I'll eat it as is, but if I get a cheap steak (like an $8 t-bone or NY) or as steak and eggs at a restaurant, I'll usually go for the Heinz 57 for the meat and Heinz Ketchup for the potatoes (and Tabasco for the eggs). I also like Jim Beam Steak Sauce and Makers Mark too.
mistertawny
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/12/02 18:35:49 (permalink)
This topic is like the Italian parliment. 100 members with 105 political positions, and willing to fight to the death over who's right...

Anyway, there are cuts of meat that absolutley demand some flavoring. Whether it's steak sauce or a nice roux. The more tender a beef cut is, the less actual flavor it has. If you want a steak to speak for itself get a nice porterhouse or strip, LIGHTLY rub with a LITTLE olive oil and maybe a hint of garlic. Slap it on the grill until medium rare, and chow down. Salt or not to salt is up to you.

But when you have something like a high end medallion, you need something to kick it up a notch. I prefer (*SHUDDER*) teriyaki instead of most other flavorings. I lightly coat my medalions with a touch of kosher salt, tie them off (2" thich is about right) with butchers twine and pan sear the outside to crispy (super hot and fast), put a light dab of teryaki BASTE on both sides, then finish in a 300 degree oven until finished. After resting a few minutes, when they head to the plate, place a small pat of garlic butter to finish. Viola'! Add pommes frites, spinach or my favorite brocolli in garlic butter with a few scampi on the side.

Of course in the course of all my "fine" dining experiences, I have had occasion to eat at Sizzler's. While I think we can all agree this is the not the ultimate steak house, thier steak sauce is amazingly light and adds a nice touch to even "super" steaks. It maybe blasphemy, but buy a bottle and try it on the side with your next "prime" endeavour.

I even used it as a kicker in an au jus for a REAL prime rib I did a few years or so back. Many of my guests were self appointed "gourmands", and they demanded what was the special ingrediant of my au jus, and I flat out told them. I was amazed at the attitude. 10 seconds before they were practically drinking it by the ladle, now it looked like they wanted to spit it out on my floor. A few though were above the sheep instinct and admitted they would have to try it too.
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 593
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/12/02 18:44:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

There are a lot of great steak sauces around, yet I read where a true steak lover eats his/her steak without sauce, that it kills the steak?
I prefer mine with no steak sauce but wonder what others think?

carl reitz

Hi Carl.

Without steak sauce in my book. Sometimes I will use a little bit of a compound butter with a nicely grilled steak but that is it.

John
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/12/02 18:56:53 (permalink)
Hey mistertawny, tour experience with the snobby friends and sizzler steak sauce reminds me a few years ago I went to see Der Fleidermaus, the opera, and there were these snobs with the sheet music looking for the opera to make "mistakes" that they could point out, instead of sitting back and enjoying the music.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4076
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/12/02 20:01:32 (permalink)
I use steak sauce-----in three situations. First, I enjoy it on a hamburger occasionally---makes a nice bit of variety. Second, it's great for dipping french fries. Finally, if the steak is dry or chewy (I know, sometimes the market has steaks that aren't the greatest, or---heaven forbid---the steak is overcooked) then steak sauce helps.
To put it on a good steak, however-----no way!" />
RockyB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/12/05 12:37:51 (permalink)
This is one of those topics where I figure people can eat whatever they want in whatever way they like it. I've never understood why anyone would want A-1 or Lea & Perrins, or God Forbid..Heinz catsup on a steak. But if that's they way they like, what do I care?? For me, a little salt & pepper, and as mentioned earlier, maybe a little seasoned butter. To me, steak stands all by itself.
danimal15
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/12/17 14:49:36 (permalink)
On a similar note, I went to a fancy restaurant in the Chicago suburbs last weekend and ordered a NY strip. The meat was pretty high quality, I could tell, but someone had poured what tasted like a whole container of "salt and spice" on it at some point, and it's all I tasted.
Seriousfoody
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/12/22 12:07:00 (permalink)
The only reason I can think of to put sauce on a steak is to give a lousy piece of meat some flavor. Good meat requires nothing but salt and fresh cracked pepper - yum!!!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2005/01/02 10:47:06 (permalink)
Salt and pepper, nothing else
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1