Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Steak Sauce, or not?

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 101
howard8

• Total Posts: 355
RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Sun, 01/2/05 4:32 PM (permalink)
Steak sauce, hell no.
If you're using steak sauce
it means you just don't want
to taste the natural flavor
of good beef.

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Sun, 01/2/05 5:31 PM (permalink)
    Carlton Pierre,you must realize(and I speak from 4oyrs of orchestral experience,I'm a trumpet player) that folks who go to the 'Fleder' are usually not the kind of folks who would be happy with ANYTHING,let alone one of the worst opera's(actually an operetta)ever written. You would have been better served seeing "Tommy",that way,you could have rolled up your score,filled it with whatever,lit it,and breathed deeply as you made friends with everyone within 100yds of your seat

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
      RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Thu, 02/3/05 8:57 AM (permalink)
      I actually did something like that, Garykg6, about 30 years ago at an all day concert/fest at the old Cincinnati Gardens. Someone has a phot to prove it.

WingLover

• Total Posts: 145
        RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Mon, 02/7/05 10:49 PM (permalink)
        No steak sauce for me! I normally eat my steak plain, maybe with a bit of ketchup, but no steak sauce of any kind.

~Jessica

Green_Chile

• Total Posts: 115
          RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Mon, 02/7/05 11:10 PM (permalink)
          I used to use liberal amounts of A-1 back before I knew better. These days I have to have buttons mushrooms in a butter sauce for a transcendent steak experience. I will use A-1 in a pinch if it's an inferior steak however.

SouthHillbilly

• Total Posts: 295
            RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Sat, 02/26/05 12:57 AM (permalink)
            Purist. . . None.

I once took a young woman out to dinner. I knew she liked steak, so I took her to a very upscale restaurant for a steak. I suggested she get the fillet mignon. . . she didn't know what it was but I convinced her it was her best choice (hey, I wasn't dating her for her intellectual brilliance and worldliness!).
            When her fillet came she grabbed the ketsup bottle that was brought for her fries. . . I stopped her just as she was about to drench the fillet in ketsup.
            "Wow" she said, "this here's the best steak ah ever haid!" Damn that girl was fun!

MartinT

• Total Posts: 30
              RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Mon, 03/28/05 10:53 PM (permalink)
              Peter Luger`s steak sauce is great but I prefer it on the side. Also good as they serve it with their tomato and onion salad.

hjbyun

• Total Posts: 100
                RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Mon, 03/28/05 11:52 PM (permalink)
                I love a good steak but despite that fact I love my A-1 with it. I just can't explain it.

luv

• Total Posts: 22
                  RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Sat, 05/7/05 1:25 AM (permalink)
                  i only use A-1 on cheaper cuts like sirloin. for filet i either nix the steak sauce or use bearnaise sauce. for ribeye, i use worcestershire or nothing at all.

luv

• Total Posts: 22
                    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Sat, 05/7/05 1:27 AM (permalink)
                    i only use A-1 on cheaper cuts like sirloin. for filet i either nix the steak sauce or use bearnaise sauce. for ribeye, i use worcestershire or nothing at all. i like bleu cheese on my sirloin.

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
                      RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Sun, 07/24/05 5:51 PM (permalink)
                      Steak sauce? I very seldomly use it, but it is fine for a cheaper steak. I am not very impressed with the A-1 type sauces, although I have used A-1.

Worcestershire is my idea of a steak sauce and it must be Lea & Perrin's.

For the most part, I am of the salt and pepper school. Trying to guild the lilly is usually a mistake.

MEANCHEF

• Total Posts: 14
                        RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Tue, 08/23/05 5:11 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by carlton pierre

There are a lot of great steak sauces around, yet I read where a true steak lover eats his/her steak without sauce, that it kills the steak?
                        I prefer mine with no steak sauce but wonder what others think?

carl reitz

MEANCHEF

• Total Posts: 14
                          RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Tue, 08/23/05 5:13 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by carlton pierre

There are a lot of great steak sauces around, yet I read where a true steak lover eats his/her steak without sauce, that it kills the steak?
                          I prefer mine with no steak sauce but wonder what others think?

carl reitz

Of course not. Unless , of course , you have a bad steak

NYC2SoCal

• Total Posts: 19
                            RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Wed, 11/16/05 5:16 PM (permalink)
                            Steak sauce.. Almost never.. One person had a good point.. No steak sauce when I pay more than $20 for it, or if I cook it myself.

2 stories

1) I was at a Palm Steakhouse in VA I think, or was it MD.. Where ever Tysons Corner is, I forget.. anyhow, I ordered my ribeye medium rare, and the waitress comes to me and asks "Would you like steak sauce with that?". I waved to her to come closer and told her politely in a very low voice "If this steak NEEDS steak sauce, I'm walking out".. :))

2) When I cook steaks for friends and family, I see it as an outright insult to me if someone asks for steak sauce.. Well, this past Sunday someone did (Cousins wife), but then the excuse/reason was legitimate - I had to cook her steak well done because she's 4 months pregnant... Prior to the pregnancy, she was a medium rare gal.. :D Man cooking that steak well done was driving me nuts... There was a desparate urge to take the suffering steak off the grill. ;-)

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                              RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Wed, 11/16/05 6:10 PM (permalink)
                              all condiments are a matter of preference.

Would you say, "if these fries NEED ketchup, I'm walking out"?!?

I should think that most steak houses would have steak sauce as an option, for people who like the taste of steak sauce on their steak.

It's not a question of whether the steak NEEDS steak sauce, it's whether or not you prefer to HAVE steak sauce or not.

I don't get offended when my brother puts hot sauce on just about everything I cook. Why?, because he puts hot sauce on just about everything he eats. The food I prepare, the food he prepares, the food he eats out, the food my mother makes, roadfood, you name it.
                              It's what he likes. How can I get offended? I have NO control over that. Sometimes, I add heat to his dish, because I know he like everything to be spicy. In my opinion, it can ruin my dish, but THAT'S how he eats his food. Hot, and spicy. I don't get offended, and I don't care.

so, if he asked for steak sauce, I'm confident it's not that the food I prepared was done incorrectly, it would be because, that's how he likes it.

HotDogHead

• Total Posts: 665
                                RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Wed, 11/16/05 6:22 PM (permalink)
                                I love HP steak sauce on my nana and mom's meat pies. It's a tradition around Christmas time. It's hard to find in the US but it is readily available in Canada and the UK.

Occasionally, I'll put A-1 on grilled steaks. I also like horseradish on steak.

NYC2SoCal

• Total Posts: 19
                                  RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Wed, 11/16/05 7:29 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Scorereader

all condiments are a matter of preference.

Would you say, "if these fries NEED ketchup, I'm walking out"?!?

I should think that most steak houses would have steak sauce as an option, for people who like the taste of steak sauce on their steak.

It's not a question of whether the steak NEEDS steak sauce, it's whether or not you prefer to HAVE steak sauce or not.

I don't get offended when my brother puts hot sauce on just about everything I cook. Why?, because he puts hot sauce on just about everything he eats. The food I prepare, the food he prepares, the food he eats out, the food my mother makes, roadfood, you name it.
                                  It's what he likes. How can I get offended? I have NO control over that. Sometimes, I add heat to his dish, because I know he like everything to be spicy. In my opinion, it can ruin my dish, but THAT'S how he eats his food. Hot, and spicy. I don't get offended, and I don't care.

so, if he asked for steak sauce, I'm confident it's not that the food I prepared was done incorrectly, it would be because, that's how he likes it.

I see your point about personal preferences.. But if I spent $35 for french fries, it better not need ketchup!! :))

I know one gal that puts a significant amount of salt on her food.. The oddest thing is, she doesn't even taste it first.. Once the dish comes on the table, she puts (kid you not) maybe 1 oz of salt on her food!! YIKES!

In regards to HP sauce, yes, some HP sauce on a shepherds pie is good.. Watch, I'll get blasted for polluting the purity of a shepherds pie.. ;-)

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
                                    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Wed, 11/16/05 8:37 PM (permalink)
                                    HP steak sauce does nothing for me. Guar Gummy Goo is how I would describe the whole mess.

Mattken85

• Total Posts: 16
                                      RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Mon, 11/28/05 12:47 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by cleveland66

I absolutely love steak sauce...on my fries.

could not agree more but I did find a good use for steak sauce, I was eating outside at a local restaurant and the wind kicked up and it really came in handy when I needed something to hold my napkin down.

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                                        RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Thu, 01/19/06 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                        My late grandfather was an old German butcher,and my dad said grandpa felt that if you had to cover a steak in sauce,then the meat wasn't any good,to which i agree.i also prefer my bbq brisket or other bbq meat plain,no sauce at all.

rjb

• Total Posts: 451
                                          RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Thu, 01/19/06 11:05 AM (permalink)
                                          Does bearnaise sauce count? Chateaubriand bearnaise is a french bistro classic that I find pretty tasty (if the sauce is done properly). Also steak au poivre with a brandy & cream sauce, another bistro standard.

Both sauces are great dips for the accompanying pommes frites, too.

Captain Morgan

• Total Posts: 503
                                            RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Thu, 01/19/06 11:58 AM (permalink)
                                            Steak sauces actually originated because before refrigeration, people were eating a lot of spoiled meat, and they needed something to cover up the taste.

That said, I like mine with s-n-p and a little pat of compound butter. Now I like the flavor of 57 a lot on burgers and fries, or just straight out of the bottle when I'm walking past the fridge.
                                            Bearnaise and other cream sauces are ok for some cuts, but on the side please. And yes, I love horseradish on prime rib.

LindaW

• Total Posts: 338
                                              RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Thu, 01/19/06 12:15 PM (permalink)
                                              I admit I use it on the side as a condiment..on a hamburger or grilled chicken.....or on my baked potato instead of butter or sour cream...at home...I found out that SuperWalmart makes a steak sauce that tastes exactly like Heinz 57...at $2.00 less a bottle...the shape of the bottle is exactly the same as Heinz...the flavor is the same....

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                                                RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Thu, 01/19/06 1:33 PM (permalink)
                                                Ketchup! If the steak is that great, the taste will shine through the Heinz. I challenge it!
                                                The Bear

Catracks

• Total Posts: 196
                                                  RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Thu, 01/19/06 3:29 PM (permalink)
                                                  I usually hate steak sauce except when mixed with ketchup to dip fries or patty melts with.

Notwithstanding, I found a peppercorn blue cheese mix that came with a ribeye. Was it ever good and did not cover the meat flavor like A-1 will. Also bernaise is good sometimes. IMO teriaki is an assault to a good steak. May as well have tofu if you can't taste the meat.

Scorereader

RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Wed, 01/25/06 11:52 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Captain Morgan

Steak sauces actually originated because before refrigeration, people were eating a lot of spoiled meat, and they needed something to cover up the taste.

that's just simply preposterous.

try, beef sauces originated from au jous, pan drippings (the natural juices of the steak) or stock, and went from there. Adding herbs and spices, and cream, etc.
                                                    Not to cover, but to add.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
                                                      RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Thu, 01/26/06 2:33 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
                                                      Originally posted by Captain Morgan

that's just simply preposterous.

try, beef sauces originated from au jous, pan drippings (the natural juices of the steak) or stock, and went from there. Adding herbs and spices, and cream, etc.
                                                      Not to cover, but to add.

You are amazingly incorrect. All sauces and gravies were originally used to mask the off taste of bad meats. You can look it up.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/SauceHistory.htm

Captain Morgan

• Total Posts: 503
                                                        • Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
                                                        RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Thu, 01/26/06 2:37 PM (permalink)
                                                        to be fair, there is some revisionist history going on by
                                                        spice and sauce companies who insist the flavor alone is the
                                                        reason meat was flavored before electricity.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                                          • Location: Newberry, FL
                                                          RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Thu, 01/26/06 2:48 PM (permalink)
                                                          I like steak sauce but on the side. That way I can dip my very rare steak in it or not. I've recently switched from A-1 Bold and Spicy, started purchasing Shula's Steak Sauce, add a tad of cayenne and make my own bold and spicy. I could almost drink that stuff out of the bottle.

Scorereader

• Location: Crofton, MD
                                                            RE: Steak Sauce, or not? Thu, 01/26/06 3:55 PM (permalink)
                                                            The author of the web site, Linda Stradley, makes a bit of a leap of faith when she says, "Sauces and gravies were used to mask the flavor of tainted foods." To back her statement, she uses a quote from Marian Woodman's article that says, "...possibly to conceal doubtful freshness, possibly to demonstrate the variety of costly spices available to the host."

The word possibly being the operative word. So, to conceal doubtful freshness is no more of a known reason why sauces exist, than the reason to demonstrate one's wealth by using a variety of costly spices.

and "ALL sauces and gravies", is a gross overstatement.

maybe preposterous was a bit overdone, but there is no definate proof that sauces were created for the purpose of covering tainted meat. No more viable than the reason was to "show off" one's wealth, which was a very fashionable thing to do in Roman times.

and the article was speaking about Roman custom 200 AD and commented solely on that. So permit me stretch, or make a leap, as much as Linda Stradley...The fact that Romans were using such elaborate sauces would indicate that "sauces" and the use of "sauces" had long been around. So, one can easily surmise that Romans did not invent sauce. Therefore, the Roman use of sauce, even if it was to conceal bad meat, was not the exclusive use, nor necessarily the intended use of sauce prior to the Romans.
                                                            ~Now that may be taking some liberty from Woodman's remark in one direction, but no more liberty than Stradley took.

taken from:
                                                            http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodsauces.html

Food historians tell us sauces were "invented" for many reasons. The three primary reasons are:
                                                            1. Cooking medium
                                                            2. Meat tenderizer
                                                            3. Flavor enhancer

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 101

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com