Steak Sauce, or not?

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
2004/10/21 16:51:25 (permalink)

Steak Sauce, or not?

There are a lot of great steak sauces around, yet I read where a true steak lover eats his/her steak without sauce, that it kills the steak?
I prefer mine with no steak sauce but wonder what others think?

carl reitz

100 Replies Related Threads

Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1509
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 16:57:20 (permalink)
    I haven't found a steak sauce I love yet.. I have no objection to them, can you make any recommendations? I've found that Marie's Honey Mustard Dressing is great on steaks though..
    cleveland66
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 17:05:33 (permalink)
    I absolutely love steak sauce...on my fries.
    Redskin204
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 17:25:11 (permalink)
    I consider myself a 'true steak lover' for sure. When I eat a steak I never put anything except salt directly on the meat; I have the sauce(s) on the side and just use whatever I'm in the mood for at that moment. Sometimes it's A-1, sometimes it's Worchestershire (sp?), sometimes it's 57, sometimes it's honey mustard, and sometimes it's just regular Hunts catsup.

The only constant I have for my steak is that it has to be very(!) well done. Having the outside a bit burnt and crispy is fine with me. Many people cringe at that, but that's how I like it.

Redskin204
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 17:27:13 (permalink)
    I would never ruin a good steak with bottled sauce. If it needs bottled sauce, it's not a good steak and simply isn't worth the bother. You might as well overcook it and drown it in ketchup. In that case, save your money and eat an old Dr. Scholl's shoe liner.

Marinades, pan sauces, and reductions are another matter, but I assume you are talking about gloop like A-1 and its other myriad and sundry bottled bilious brethren.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 17:32:52 (permalink)
    I consider it sinful to put a sauce on a steak. I once had a sister in law that did not speak to me for 2 years because I would not put a bottle of ketchup on the table for her daughter's steak!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18342
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 17:56:18 (permalink)
    I like steak sauce, but I'd never put it on a steak.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15209
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 18:04:10 (permalink)
    I treat it like BBQ sauce. If you insist on it,It belongs in a cup or dish alongside the meat. If I feel like 'dipping' now and then I do. Pouring it on or mixing it somehow with the meat is worse that chopping the meat into tiny pieces like some folks do with their 'cue.
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 18:25:30 (permalink)
    Dang Grampy, you're such a zealot!

I'm a dipper.....I admit it. I like a good Cumberland Sauce, or a creamy Horseradish sauce, or perhaps a mushroom/wine pate' or duxelles with beef. Ok, ok, ok..I've used A-1 and Colony Sauce on occasion..Sue me!

Signed, Bilious Babe

plb
    • Total Posts : 1029
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 18:37:45 (permalink)
    The thick teriyaki sauce when broiling a steak. And horseradish on prime rib (especially if not really prime).
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13479
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 19:10:29 (permalink)
    Some type of steak sauce is a matter of preference much like how your like your fries. We had a thread on this matter some time ago and it was amazing how many people liked different things on their fries. It went from Mayo to gravy to tartar sauce to ketchup and many other things. I think steak or any other type of food is the same.

The Sundancer personally prefers steak without any sauce and simply salt and pepper.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 19:12:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

I would never ruin a good steak with bottled sauce. If it needs bottled sauce, it's not a good steak and simply isn't worth the bother. You might as well overcook it and drown it in ketchup. In that case, save your money and eat an old Dr. Scholl's shoe liner.

Marinades, pan sauces, and reductions are another matter, but I assume you are talking about gloop like A-1 and its other myriad and sundry bottled bilious brethren.

Ditto Grampy, exactly.
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 19:17:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

I consider it sinful to put a sauce on a steak. I once had a sister in law that did not speak to me for 2 years because I would not put a bottle of ketchup on the table for her daughter's steak!

but then you're being like the wine snobs! eat what you like! drink what you like with it!
    chezkatie
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 19:23:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jennifer_4

quote:

but then you're being like the wine snobs! eat what you like! drink what you like with it!

You are right of course.in saying eat what you like! Drink what you like with it...........but as the hostess, i serve what I like! It is not being snobby............I would never go to anyone's home for dinner and demand something that was not put on the table.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 19:51:18 (permalink)
    Depending on how juicy and tasty the steak is by itself, I prefer to eat it naked, with no extra sauce or seasoning. But most of the time, the meat is just not as delicious by itself and I enjoy a small puddle of A-1 on my plate to dip it into.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4608
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 20:09:07 (permalink)
    quote:

...so that's what it takes to not have to talk to my sister-in-law for 2 years. Cool!
    chezkatie
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 20:30:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

quote:

...so that's what it takes to not have to talk to my sister-in-law for 2 years. Cool!

Oh, I could give you lots of other suggestions She was one of the most ill-mannered people that I had ever met." />
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 21:22:20 (permalink)
    Their is nothing like Steak Au Poive(sp) with a cognac cream sauce or Tournedos topped with Artichoke bottoma and Bernaise
    redtressed
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 21:43:35 (permalink)
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhh I forgot to mention, there's a place near here that serves a beautiful filet mignon , stuffed with a jumbo lump crab mixture, and a pool of an asti spumante sauce that is divine. Geezy peezy, I could get into some of that right now. C'mon down Grampy baby, and I'll take you out to dinner tommorrow.....well, we can at least look in the front window at the good eatin'!
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 22:12:01 (permalink)
    Redtressed: My darling bilious, bumptuous, and no doubt beguilingly buxom wench, may I reiterate the latter part of my missive: Marinades, pan sauces, and reductions are another matter.

I have a tarragon and shallot-dijon mustard/butter and beef stock/cabernet reduction that I make atop rare-medium-rare prime tenderloin (NOT very(!) well-done, thank you) -- that will curl whatever tresses you have that are yet uncurled. Let's save the asti for the Bellinis.
    redtressed
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 22:28:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Grampy Posted - 10/21/2004 : 22:12:01
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Redtressed: My darling bilious, bumptuous, and no doubt beguilingly buxom wench, may I reiterate the latter part of my missive: Marinades, pan sauces, and reductions are another matter.

I have a tarragon and shallot-dijon mustard/butter and beef stock/cabernet reduction that I make atop rare-medium-rare prime tenderloin (NOT very(!) well-done, thank you) -- that will curl whatever tresses you have that are yet uncurled. Let's save the asti for the Bellinis.

Whisper sweet nothings to me of my bumptuousness and buxomy wenchiness as well as breathe upon me the aromas of tarragon, shallots and dijon, and I will follow your Massachusetts manly
    merkin anywhere.....(thank God his missus knows I'm harmless)

(for pete's sake, I knew what you were stating. I just devoutly enjoy twisting your tail, and hearing you wax on in your sardonic, yet ironically poetic pontification.)
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15209
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/21 22:42:38 (permalink)
    Something tells me that deletion here would bring charges of destroying evidence in the Next session of Jerry Springer's Divorce Court on C-Span.
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/22 00:52:59 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Jennifer_4

quote:

You are right of course.in saying eat what you like! Drink what you like with it...........but as the hostess, i serve what I like! It is not being snobby............I would never go to anyone's home for dinner and demand something that was not put on the table.

of course it's your house.. but it wouldn't put me out to serve ketchup to a child.. I try to be a gracious hostess and accommadate my guests within reason....
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3732
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/22 01:01:48 (permalink)
    I happen to like teriyaki sauce with my steak. I use it for dipping, not drenching. It is not meant as an insult to the preparer, as I tend to eat some bites as prepared, and some bites "enhanced."

I also do not think that politely requesting something not served on the table is the same as "demanding." But, I was not there and do not know the rest of the context. I would have no problem asking or being asked for something I wanted, were not already on the table for service.

Steve
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/22 01:04:19 (permalink)
    The only things I put on steak are salt, pepper, and the occasional pat of seasoned butter (very rarely, though). I don't have any steak sauce in the house simply because we don't use it. People who use steak sauces won't necessarily be condemned to eternal perdition: they are already there, of their own choosing.

Having said that, I will admit that some restaurant steaks need all the help they can get just to be edible. That's a whole nother category!
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/22 04:25:10 (permalink)
    I keep some of that Wooster County sauce on hand but it takes me years to use a bottle. If there's any A-1 in the house it's way in the back of the pantry and hasn't been seen in years. I tried Heinz 57 once at a restaurant -- no thanks. The last time i used any sauce like that on a steak was probably when the beef grading system changed and I was buying select beef instead of choice and didn't realize it.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/22 06:52:55 (permalink)
    There are times when steak sauce is unavoidable. Not everyone who serves steak has the courtesy to buy a decent cut of meat.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/22 10:16:03 (permalink)
    I prefer any kind of sauce on the side. I even ask for my barbecue sauce to be on the side. I usually order mushroom sauce on the side when I order my steak and then I dip my fries and once in awhile a piece of my steak in it.
    fdaniels
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/22 10:44:10 (permalink)
    There is nothing better that A-1....

on scrambled eggs!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18342
    RE: Steak Sauce, or not? 2004/10/22 11:07:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by redtressed

quote:
    Grampy Posted - 10/21/2004 : 22:12:01
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whisper sweet nothings to me of my bumptuousness and buxomy wenchiness as well as breathe upon me the aromas of tarragon, shallots and dijon, and I will follow your Massachusetts manly
    merkin anywhere.....(thank God his missus knows I'm harmless)

(for pete's sake, I knew what you were stating. I just devoutly enjoy twisting your tail, and hearing you wax on in your sardonic, yet ironically poetic pontification.)

His manly merkin? Wow!
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1