SteakHouse-'South American Style'

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: SteakHouse-'South American Style' 2003/10/01 20:54:33 (permalink)
Mr. Mayor,

I presume you've found the website for Fogo de Chao, the chain (http://www.fogodechao.com/flash_index.php). Houston also had a Rodizio Grill, another chain, but that closed. Whether the fad wore off or it just didn't measure up, I don't know. Or maybe Houstonians are such meat eaters that the all you can eat concept wasn't financially sustainable .

A co-worker who owes me lunch has promised to take me but we haven't been able to work out a date. He's been many times and says the trick is to wave off the waiters as they bring you the lesser cuts of meat (early); the better cuts of meat are brought around only if you're still eating later.

As Lone Star noted we also have Michael Cordua's Churrascos, but that's not an all you can eat place. And El Buen Bife, an Argentine style steak house that opened about the same time as Fogo and Rodizio and is still in business; it's not an all you can eat, either, tho.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: SteakHouse-'South American Style' 2003/10/01 21:05:09 (permalink)
Taniko, thank you VERY much for your great info.

I'm ESPECIALLY glad to hear that Dallas is the best you've had. The only one I've been to is the Fogo de Chao in Addison (Dallas); been there a few times and I absolutely love it.
Taniko
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: SteakHouse-'South American Style' 2003/10/02 18:44:35 (permalink)
Wow, I am so jealous! I sure wish that I had that almost "on my doorstep" too. Hehe! We live in Minnesota. You sure should try the "Boi Na Brasa" there too. We liked that even better, but I think that it is even more expensive. Awesome for special events, though.

Thanks so much and "Bom Appetite" (or however they spell it),
Taniko
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: SteakHouse-'South American Style' 2003/10/02 22:32:09 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
There are four such places in Metro Atlanta: a Fogo location and three independents. All are run by expatriate Brasilians or Uruguayans. I wish I could have more specific information to hand, but a check around the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's website will doubtless provide more information.
Only This Once In A Fog (O), Ort. Carlton in Such-Restaurant-less Athens, Georgia.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: SteakHouse-'South American Style' 2004/02/07 15:12:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jpatweb

I think the term for these restaurants is "churrascaria," and they can be found in most large U.S. cities. There's a few in the DC area, the first and most popular being Greenfields in Rockville, MD. Lunch is the way to go, when the price drops considerably from the dinner rate of about $25 per head.

Going to Greenfields tonight in Rockville. Will report back. Have tried churrascaria in NYC and in Orlando .... had a light breakfast and skipped lunch, I think we are prepared.
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: SteakHouse-'South American Style' 2004/02/07 19:35:49 (permalink)
Where is Greenfield's located.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: SteakHouse-'South American Style' 2004/02/07 23:41:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

Where is Greenfield's located.

They have five locations -- one in Rockville, MD, one in Queens, NY, Hackensack, NY, West Covina and Long Beach, both in CA.

Went tonight to the one in Rockville. Not as good as the one in Queens. Service was great, until the place filled up, and then the skewers of bbq were few and far between. But I would go back nonetheless. Salad bar was also less than what it is in Queens. Haven't been to any of the other locations.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: SteakHouse-'South American Style' 2004/11/16 10:19:53 (permalink)
Many restaurants in Miami advertise "Parabillas". I wanted to try one but was unable so maybne someone can expound on this. It is a grill placed tableside with sausage, chicken, pork, various meats. I simply ranout of time before I could try it but cannot wait to get back and exzperience one.

carl reitz
RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: SteakHouse-'South American Style' 2004/11/16 10:36:53 (permalink)
My friend and I were in Manhattan last Wednesday and planned to go to Plataforma on 49th St. for lunch. When we got there, only about 3 tables were occupied and because it was matinee day and places in the theater district were otherwise hopping at lunchtime, it seemed to be a bad omen so we ate elsewhere. It was kind of like no cars in the parking lot.

I did eat at the Vegas version in the Mirage hotel and it was fun.
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: SteakHouse-'South American Style' 2004/11/16 10:45:37 (permalink)
Churrascarias seem to be very popular in SF. When I was there last April, I think I encountered at least three of them just walking down Market Street. I didn't know exactly what they were, so I asked someone about them. It sounded tempting but I only had so much time and I had so many other places I wanted to get to first. I haven't noticed any of these restaurants in Indy, so I might have to wait til I'm in Chicago to try this out.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: SteakHouse-'South American Style' 2004/11/16 10:55:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

My friend and I were in Manhattan last Wednesday and planned to go to Plataforma on 49th St. for lunch. When we got there, only about 3 tables were occupied and because it was matinee day and places in the theater district were otherwise hopping at lunchtime, it seemed to be a bad omen so we ate elsewhere. It was kind of like no cars in the parking lot.

I did eat at the Vegas version in the Mirage hotel and it was fun.

Plataforma is jam-packed at dinner time. I suspect it's a rather large pre-theater meal, especially during the day.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
RE: SteakHouse-'South American Style' 2004/11/16 11:16:09 (permalink)
I had dinner at Texas de Brazil Web (up by the malls on north I-Drive in Orlando). The meats were cooked perfectly (maybe a little bit more "medium" than I prefer, but they said I could get things more "rare" if I asked) ... but I was insane from salt overload by the end of the meal.

The salt thing is something my server addressed when he asked how dinner was -- without my asking. He said it may "seem" salty because of the rock salt they use when curing the meat. Now, that said, I've had a lot of cured meat and have never gone "insane" with salt overload before.

I have to wonder why the place is so popular. They can seat hundreds and I feel certain that they do so most nights. So it must be a quality place.

- Was it salty because I was the first in the place that night?

- Is it salty because most people like extra salt?

- Is it salty because the clientele on I-Drive is less sophisticated than at their other units?

Or, should I just stay away from chains? My best guess at this point.

There is nothing salt-wise at Texas de Brazil that could not have been accomplished with some creative spicing. (When they brought a simple sausage to my table the guy warned me twice that it was "spicy" ... it was barely spicy.)

The ribs were the least insanely salty. They could qualify for my best-of ribs category, but sadly, I was in salt coma from everything else.

I really wanted to like the place. In the end the slt overload was unbearable.

Sorry for the rant.

Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: SteakHouse-'South American Style' 2004/11/16 12:12:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

I had dinner at Texas de Brazil Web (up by the malls on north I-Drive in Orlando). The meats were cooked perfectly (maybe a little bit more "medium" than I prefer, but they said I could get things more "rare" if I asked) ... but I was insane from salt overload by the end of the meal.

The salt thing is something my server addressed when he asked how dinner was -- without my asking. He said it may "seem" salty because of the rock salt they use when curing the meat. Now, that said, I've had a lot of cured meat and have never gone "insane" with salt overload before.

I have to wonder why the place is so popular. They can seat hundreds and I feel certain that they do so most nights. So it must be a quality place.

- Was it salty because I was the first in the place that night?

- Is it salty because most people like extra salt?

- Is it salty because the clientele on I-Drive is less sophisticated than at their other units?

Or, should I just stay away from chains? My best guess at this point.

There is nothing salt-wise at Texas de Brazil that could not have been accomplished with some creative spicing. (When they brought a simple sausage to my table the guy warned me twice that it was "spicy" ... it was barely spicy.)

The ribs were the least insanely salty. They could qualify for my best-of ribs category, but sadly, I was in salt coma from everything else.

I really wanted to like the place. In the end the slt overload was unbearable.

Sorry for the rant.

I don't particularly like really salty meat, but that style is common in Brazil. One of my best friends has lived in Brazil for about 15 years, and whenever he visits and he makes us a barbeque, there's always lots of salt.
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 2019
RE: SteakHouse-'South American Style' 2004/11/16 13:47:19 (permalink)
I am told that there is a little Brazilian restaurant in Framingham that does this. I plan to try it soon and will report
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 2019
RE: SteakHouse-'South American Style' 2004/11/16 13:48:20 (permalink)
Framingham Massachusetts
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: SteakHouse-'South American Style' 2004/11/16 15:52:28 (permalink)
Anyone know if there are any Churrascarias within 100 miles (or so) of Cincinnati?

Columbus OH | Dayton OH | Lexington KY | Louisville KY | Indianapolis, IN?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1