Steakhouse Burgers

Author
doug_ua
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 94
2008/01/30 10:13:43 (permalink)

Steakhouse Burgers

Has anyone ever had a burger for lunch at any of the nations top steakhouses? Peter Luger serves probably the best burger I've ever had...Ruth Chris and Morton's have great burgers as well. Granted, I usually opt for steaks at these places, but I have had the occassional burger at business lunches, and they are wonderful.

20 Replies Related Threads

tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 277
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/01/30 16:26:15 (permalink)
    steakhouse burgers are amoung my favorite style of burger. specifically, if the steakhouse is dry-aging their steaks (most don't, including morton's IINM), and using some of those funky scraps in the burger, you're in for a treat.

in NYC, there's Luger's, of course. also: Ben & Jack's and Wolfgang's both have great burgers with the minerally funky dry-aged flavor going on.
    Mack184
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/01 10:15:44 (permalink)
    I'm not exactly sure why one would go to a great steakhouse for a hamburger. Sort of like buying a GEO at a Cadillac dealer.
    doug_ua
    Hamburger
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/01 10:24:03 (permalink)
    Again, wouldn't do it for dinner (nor is it served), but trust me, have a burger at Peter Lueger in Brooklyn, and you'll see why.
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/01 11:01:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mack184

I'm not exactly sure why one would go to a great steakhouse for a hamburger. Sort of like buying a GEO at a Cadillac dealer.

because they're exceptional. i'm not sure i understand your analogy. If you are in the market for a Geo and the Cadillac dealer has the best Geo in town, why would you not consider buying it at the Cadillac dealer?
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/01 13:48:53 (permalink)
    The only argument I can see against getting a burger in a steakhouse is that usually if I am eating in a steakhouse it's in NY and my company is paying. Therefore I order the steak. If I was paying, and it was lunch, I'd order the burger.

No I'm not a wheeler dealer, I'm talking about a few times a year.
    Mack184
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/01 16:34:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tommyeats

quote:

because they're exceptional. i'm not sure i understand your analogy. If you are in the market for a Geo and the Cadillac dealer has the best Geo in town, why would you not consider buying it at the Cadillac dealer?

I think the point is..there is no such thing as "the best Geo". If I'm going to a steakhouse,{cadillac} I want the steak, not a burger {Geo} that I could get any number of places.
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/01 16:46:20 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

I think the answer to this is: the markup.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6271
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/01 16:46:51 (permalink)
    I agree,
    If we're at a steakhouse...obviously I went there for a steak...I wouldn't peruse a menu and think..."Yaknow, the filet minion is great here...but I think I'll have a hamburger"
    I wouldn't order a hamburger at a pizzaria or a mexican restaurant either...no matter how good that burger might be.
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/01 17:13:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

I agree,
    If we're at a steakhouse...obviously I went there for a steak...I wouldn't peruse a menu and think..."Yaknow, the filet minion is great here...but I think I'll have a hamburger"

when i go to a steakhouse it's either for steak or for a steakhouse burger. sometimes it's just to meet friends for drinks. i'm there because i know they do something well. in those cases martinis, steaks, and burgers.

the idea that a burger like that of Peter Luger's can be found at "any number of places" just isn't true in my experience.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3755
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/01 18:26:45 (permalink)
    While I am not to debate the merits of the steak house burger with those who just don't want their opinion changed, I will say that the burgers I have enjoyed at Peter Luger Steak House have been the best I have had - anywhere. Period. I have eaten a LOT of hamburgers in my day - many of them at restaurants listed on this site. None have eclipsed the quality of the burger at Luger's.

I am sometimes in the fortunate position of being able to grab lunch at Peter Luger. The burger is on the lunch menu - and not the dinner menu. I am usually not in any way to plunk down the money for gorging on porterhouse in the afternoon, when I have to get back to work, so the burger works for me. While not cheap, the Luger burger is also something I can say that I can afford, if I so choose (this is more a reference to the many posters who have referenced in other threads that their steak house dining is limited to times when others are picking up the check). Lastly, I have a friend who possesses one of the rare Luger charge cards, who believes that while the porterhouse can be somewhat overrated amongst critics, the burger has yet to disappoint.

But, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

And, seriously, one of the best things about the burger is that you still get the gratis bread basket and Luger sauce (a small dab on the burger is excellent!)

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/01 18:42:12 (permalink)
    Looks great to me!!!! Sooo lucky you are Traveler!
    Joe
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1030
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/01 20:34:24 (permalink)
    Vic Stuart's in Walnut Creek, CA is open only for dinner. But it has great and reasonably priced burgers, but only in the bar (and a great steak sandwich).
    doug_ua
    Hamburger
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/01 20:43:40 (permalink)
    yeah, when I started this conversation, i really didn't expect to read so many comments about not ordering anything but a steak at a steakhouse...we are talking about the best burgers, and if you are in the mood for a great burger, why limit yourself by ruling out any place that serves them, especially a steakhouse. Let's try an SAT analogy..." a burger is to lunch, as a steak is to dinner". I'm not talking about going to a steakhouse for chicken parm. It is reasonable to think a great steakhouse might have great burgers, right? Do I ever get a steak at a business lunch...sure! But say you are going to a steakhouse, and you just don't want a steak for lunch...why not a great burger! This conversation was really meant to disucss great steakhouse burgers, not the reasons to NOT get one!
    doug_ua
    Hamburger
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/01 20:46:05 (permalink)
    BTW...those pictures are amazing. How about that bacon at Lueger's...might have to start another topic about the great bacon appetizer at Lueger's, Wolfgangs, etc...
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/02 13:35:32 (permalink)
    quote:

steakhouse burgers are amoung my favorite style of burger. specifically, if the steakhouse is dry-aging their steaks (most don't, including morton's IINM), and using some of those funky scraps in the burger, you're in for a treat.

in NYC, there's Luger's, of course. also: Ben & Jack's and Wolfgang's both have great burgers with the minerally funky dry-aged flavor going on.

I have been railing against using steak cuts for hamburgers for almost 30 years, because the chuck and round and other tough parts are more flavorful, and grinding makes them tender. Your post is the first time I have heard a good reason to do it - aged beef!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6271
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/02 14:13:42 (permalink)
    I think the problem here is one of choice. For many of us a fancy steakplace is a rare occurance. I for one rarely go to one for lunch..and if I do,for dinner,too, I wouldn't choose that moment to have a hamburger. The burger might well be superb...but am I going to choose it over a great steak..No! If I went there everyday,say for a business lunch, sure one of those days,I'd try the hamburger, becAUSE i WAS THERE ANYWAY. The picture of that hamburger At Pete L's looks super...but I bet the price was super too. I'd add the bucks to it,if I were there and have the Pete Lueger steak. Given the choice to eat at the same place over and over,I'd try all the items, and I bet I'd discover that some were superb. "Wow,that was a great,Hamburger"...but without that choice, who'd know. I still stand by my post. For many people, a rare visit to an expensive steak place will most likely yield a steak dinner...and the secret of it's great hamburger would go undiscovered.
    PS> I agree that most steak-made burgers are dry,or have something added to get rid of the dryness.Most cooks know super lean beef,does not make a juicey burger!!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/02 14:41:40 (permalink)
    Ahhh, dry aged chuck burgers! I think I'll start a new chain. Hmm???
    joe
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/03 11:41:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard
    The picture of that hamburger At Pete L's looks super...but I bet the price was super too.

the last time i had it, last year, it was 8 dollars.

as these forums aren't regional, there's definitely the issue of different lifestyles and different jobs and different income levels and different opportunities, as some have touched on. for those in and around NYC, it's really not that big of a deal to have an 8 dollar burger for lunch at peter lugers. it's not that big of a deal to go for dinner for the steak after that. if you live in an area that is steakhouse deprived, and you have one chance and one chance only to order something from a top NYC steakhouse, then yeah, i guess many people would chose a steak. but many, thankfully, have more than one more meal coming to them. hopefully!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3755
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/04 16:59:26 (permalink)
    It is not quite $8, but it is not as unreasonable as you would think. The basic burger is $8.95 - and everything else, like most items at a good steak house, is a la carte. I think the fries (not a very large portion, but not underwhelming) are $2; the cheese (American only) is $1.50; and the bacon runs about $3 (which, admittedly, is not cheap - but VERY worth it). I have ordered the burger without the cheese and even without the fries, on occasion. But, I don't want anyone to get the impression that they are going to sit down, plunk down $8 and get the burger, either.

IIRC, on my last visit, it was about $15 plus tip - with no drinks for the burgers, as photographed.

leethebard - For me, Peter Luger is not an every day occurrence. I live in central Florida and make it to NY on business a couple of times a year. However, after dining several times at Luger's, it is my opinion that the burger is a better value than the steak for getting the "Luger experience." My opinion is that Peter Luger Steak House is one of the great Roadfood experiences in all the land. I rank it up there with Katz's Deli, Kreutz Market, and the others that are considered the Roadfood Hall of Fame. And, I will again say, the burger is a better value than the steak.
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    RE: Steakhouse Burgers 2008/02/04 21:08:54 (permalink)
    for $10. at Lugers for a burger is a bargain as compared to that thing they call a steak burger at Applebees for what? $8.95?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1