Steam table vs. warming cabinet

Author
LivingOhana
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2012/04/25 21:53:17 (permalink)

Steam table vs. warming cabinet

Is it better to keep shredded meats (chicken, beef, and pork) warm in a warming cabinet or a steam table (assuming tray is covered to keep moisture in)? I'm in the planning stages of opening a food truck, and am contemplating the 2 different options. The meats needs to be kept at safe holding temperatures for approximately 4 hours - from the time it's finished cooking until finished serving the lunch crowd. When compared to a warming cabinet, the steam table seems to be the more economical option. However does one preserve the food quality better? Is there a rule of thumb, for a time limit that meat can be kept hot before the quality starts to degrade?
Thanks!
-Aaron

4 Replies Related Threads

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Steam table vs. warming cabinet 2012/04/25 23:59:05 (permalink)
    Use a steam table with water in it not just hot air from below. And the truth be known from the time you take meat out of the smoker or oven it's down hill from there. If you know what your doing and cooking it correctly you try to finish it with just enough time to serve it.

But that's not possible when your serving a large crowd so everyone dose what they have to with care. You always want to serve the best product you can no matter what the circumstance.
    BBQ Seeker
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:Steam table vs. warming cabinet 2012/04/26 06:45:06 (permalink)
    I agree with the Dr. Even in a cambro the meat continues to cook, and there is no power involved, just the insulated cabinet. I have had better luck holding the meat whole and pulling and saucing before serving, it just seems to work better in my opinion.
    LivingOhana
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Steam table vs. warming cabinet 2012/04/26 17:24:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice! We'll need to pull/sauce meat ahead of time. What's the best way to preserve the quality while holding hot before serving? Is there a rule of thumb for how long the meat can be held hot before consumption?
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Steam table vs. warming cabinet 2012/04/26 18:41:20 (permalink)
    If you pull it while it's still hot and bag it you can put it in your reach in and reheat it up to 10 or 15 days later. But do not sauce it until you make the sandwiches.

I don't know about any rule of thumb on your question concerning holding time but I did one event that had a very late night crowd (bars closed at 3:00 am) and we served from 5:00 PM straight through until 10:30 the next night. I'll never do that again. So we were open and selling product for over 24 hours and both the pork and brisket were fine. So your not going to waste it.

Besides if your doing an event or decent location your going to run out and have to add product before it goes bad.Just hold it in a steam table at 135 or 140 degrees which ever your HD requires and you'll do fine.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1