Steamboat Springs CO with stop in Cheyenne

Author
BBQ Barney
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 161
2003/07/07 21:22:54 (permalink)

Steamboat Springs CO with stop in Cheyenne

End of July trip takes me to Colorado--any ideas will be appreciated.

14 Replies Related Threads

stormycat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Steamboat Springs CO with stop in Cheyenne 2003/07/11 10:32:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BBQ Barney

End of July trip takes me to Colorado--any ideas will be appreciated.

Cheyenne does not have a whole lot to offer from what I can remember, but Laramie (45 miles to the West) has a few winners. Wingers is a somewhat cheezy 50's diner (like we need one more of those) but they do have some mighty fine wings. More sweet than hot, but they are a-okay! My personal fav is The Library Brewery. They have an excellent artichoke cheese burger with really good waffle fries. The building is pretty unique also. The restaurant section is filled with old wobbley tables and tons of book shelves to check out while you are waiting for your food and brew. It is also an ellispe (like the capitol), so you can hear the conversation of the table directly across from you.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Steamboat Springs CO with stop in Cheyenne 2003/07/11 10:48:20 (permalink)
    Can you be more specific about your route, particularly your point of origin?
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Steamboat Springs CO with stop in Cheyenne 2003/07/11 20:56:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jpatweb

Can you be more specific about your route, particularly your point of origin?

Thanks for asking--although we leave from Des Moines IA, we will spend four days in Steamboat Springs CO and one night, arriving late in Cheyenne WY---so no time planned for food stops in between!
    floraton
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Steamboat Springs CO with stop in Cheyenne 2003/07/15 15:02:27 (permalink)
    Winonas on the main drag in steamboat is great diner food for breakfast and lunch
    Biscuit
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Steamboat Springs CO with stop in Cheyenne 2003/07/16 15:12:02 (permalink)
    I might recommend taking highway 40 east out of Steamboat Springs over Rabitt Ears Pass. Stay on it until you're just outside of Granby. Then, take highway 125 north. (It only goes one direction at the intersetion- don't go south, you'll be in Granby resevoir )

This is a really scenic, leisurely drive over willow creek pass.
    In about 45 miles you will be in the town of Walden. Walden is a ranching community and is what the REAL Colorado is like. (Walden is in Jackson county, and there isn't a stop light in the entire county)
    There is a great cafe on main street called The Coffee Pot. You can't miss it, Main Street is about three blocks long.
    Food there is really good, not great, but down home comfort food. Salad bar with a potato salad the cook won an award for. And it is good.

Walden also has an incredible Frontier Museum that is amazing for a town of its size (500), and its free. Just ask someone where to find it, its one block off of main street.

After your visit, hop back on 125 north and it takes you to Laramie, about 40 miles. From there I believe you can get on the interstate to Cheyenne.

I live in Colorado, and this is the route I would sure take.

Hope this helps!

Biscuit
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Steamboat Springs CO with stop in Cheyenne 2003/07/16 20:54:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info---we'll stop in Walden to see the sights and breakfast at Winona's is on the schedule! Sorry we'll be in Laramie at about 9am--I can't do burgers at that hour anymore.
    Biscuit
    Hamburger
    RE: Steamboat Springs CO with stop in Cheyenne 2003/07/18 18:00:19 (permalink)
    BBQ, I forgot!
    There is a shortcut you can take to get to Laramie via Walden from Steamboat Springs. Right after you come off of Rabbit Ears Pass,on highway 40,, on your left will be county road 14. As I recall, portions of it are gravel, but it's an 'improved road' and driving conditions are generaly very good.
    You can cut a good 1/2 hour off your drive time by taking this road, rather than going all the way to Granby and picking uo 125. Its a nice drive, too.

Hope you see this in time!

Biscuit
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Steamboat Springs CO with stop in Cheyenne 2003/07/18 20:09:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Biscuit

BBQ, I forgot!
    There is a shortcut you can take to get to Laramie via Walden from Steamboat Springs. Right after you come off of Rabbit Ears Pass,on highway 40,, on your left will be county road 14. As I recall, portions of it are gravel, but it's an 'improved road' and driving conditions are generaly very good.
    You can cut a good 1/2 hour off your drive time by taking this road, rather than going all the way to Granby and picking uo 125. Its a nice drive, too.

Hope you see this in time

Biscuit

sorry to enter twice, I'm a little too happy tonight.
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Steamboat Springs CO with stop in Cheyenne 2003/07/18 20:13:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BBQ Barney

quote:
    Originally posted by Biscuit

BBQ, I forgot!

Hope you see this in time

Biscuit

Thanks, Biscuit---just in time! BBQ--

Biscuit
    Hamburger
    RE: Steamboat Springs CO with stop in Cheyenne 2003/07/19 14:07:25 (permalink)
    Cool beans!
    jennycola
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Steamboat Springs CO with stop in Cheyenne 2003/07/21 12:24:36 (permalink)
    There are lots of good restaurants in Steamboat Springs. If you want fancy, La Montana, on the mountain, has great upscale Mexican with local ingredients (elk, venison). In that same area is a good steakhouse, the Butcher Block, kind of hidden but good meat and sides, good salad bar. Also in the Ski Times Square area is the Tugboat, it's a great bar with good sandwiches and burgers. In town, on Lincoln Ave. we like the Smokehouse, good BBQ, peanuts to throw on floor, schooners of cold beer. Right across the street is a good Italian joint, Mazzola's, great food, and again a good salad bar. Our choices are all based on if there is something for the whole family and not too pricey and I found a lot to keep us happy in Steamboat. Have a good trip!
    SkiPatroller
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Steamboat Springs CO with stop in Cheyenne 2003/07/27 21:54:29 (permalink)
    Try the Double Z BBQ... it is located at 1124 Yampa on the river
    next to the Park (You can see the jumping hill). It is VERY crowded at times but is well worth the wait.
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Steamboat Springs CO with stop in Cheyenne 2003/08/11 20:54:37 (permalink)
    Thanks to all for info(couldn't get to all)--we had great food on our trip including Moose Creek Cookhouse in Walden CO ( Biscuit--the Coffee Pot was closed, but the breakfasts were great at this place right on the highway 14 in town). The Smokehouse in Steamboat had good ribs and pork sandwiches. The food in 'Ski-time square" included dollar fish tacos and 2 dollar ceviche on Tuesdays at Dos Amigos as well as a special occasion meal of elk loin at Cafe Diva, preceded by a few cocktails at Tugboat. I better not forget the cinnamon french toast and lox and onion omelette at Winona's!

Biscuit
    Hamburger
    RE: Steamboat Springs CO with stop in Cheyenne 2003/08/12 10:54:35 (permalink)
    That's awesome!
    I'm glad you got to go through Walden! Sorry you missed the Coffeee Pot, but, yeah, the Moose Creek is good too.

Sounds like you had a great trip!

B
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1