The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Steamed Artichokes

Bob in Cary

• Total Posts: 137
Steamed Artichokes Tue, 05/23/06 4:32 PM (permalink)
I used to see steamed whole artichokes on menus from time to time. Do people not like them any more or do they tie up a table for too long?

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
    RE: Steamed Artichokes Thu, 05/25/06 7:28 AM (permalink)
    My mother use to do them years ago, great with a little bowl of garlic butter to dip in.

John

WVHillbilly

• Total Posts: 406
      RE: Steamed Artichokes Thu, 05/25/06 8:47 AM (permalink)
      Bob, I suspect diners are in too big a hurry these days. Seems like everyone is rushing around like mad anywhere there is a large congregation of people. It is somethiing that requires patience and the enjoyment of small morsels of heaven over an extended period of time.

tacchino

• Total Posts: 560
        RE: Steamed Artichokes Wed, 05/31/06 4:24 AM (permalink)
        People also are self-conscious about the fact that they don't know how to eat them.
        I remember when I lived in France years ago, and I was served an artichoke, and I ate it properly (my Italian parents served them often). I recall the faces of my French hosts, who actually looked disappointed. So I asked them what the problem was. They responded that they had a laugh in times past when Americans were served artichokes, and they proceeded to eat everything, including the chewy outer part of the leaf!

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
          RE: Steamed Artichokes Wed, 05/31/06 12:50 PM (permalink)
          You could make it easier on everyone and just serve the "bottoms" which are all edible. I love whole steamed artichokes at home but it does seem a little time-consuming and messy to do in a restaurant. At home I have a big bowl for the leaves after I've nibbled the little edible bit off them, but lots of restuarant tables hardly have room for anything like that.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
            RE: Steamed Artichokes Wed, 05/31/06 1:01 PM (permalink)
            I remember a very nice restaurant on the north side of Columbus-- the Garden Gallery -- where they had steamed artichokes on the menu. They served them with melted butter and with a really good horseradish sauce (no, not horseysauce). And, they served them on an artichoke plate, with indentations around the edge for the leaves. I think I almost always ordered the same thing whenever we'd go there: An artichoke appetizer and a rack of lamb. Yum. Nice memory.

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
              RE: Steamed Artichokes Wed, 05/31/06 1:31 PM (permalink)
              I'm thinking BT may be on to something. Rassling artichokes is a lot of work in the kitchen, especially for a side dish that was once considered upscale and is now unknown by many.

I'm also wondering if artichokes are more popular in different parts of the country. My Wife loves them, because her Dad who spent the best part of his childhood in California loves them and made them whenever he could get them. We usually see them (and order them) on menus in San Francisco, but rarely (other than out of a jar or in upscale Italian places) in Boston. Makes sense since most in our stores come from CA. Has anyone else noticed that artichokes are more common restaurant offerings in certain parts of the country?

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6208
                RE: Steamed Artichokes Wed, 05/31/06 4:43 PM (permalink)
                I love artichokes but the handsome Zman is not too crazy about them. I like them steamed, baked with garlic and breadcrumbs under each leaf, "turned", steamed and grilled and served with balsamic vinaigrette, on and on. A "turned" artichchoke is one where all the leaves are removed, the choke removed and just the bottom is cooked. Stuff it with sauteed spinach, top with some gruyere cheese and bake. Wicked good. When I worked in the Boston area I could buy cases of baby artichokes which were lovely in a veal/wild mushroom dish, chicken dish, or just on a salad.

Seems that artichokes are consumed in areas where there are large Italian communities. Or maybe CA where they are big and fat and cheap! I just asked Zman if he ate artichokes growing (Czech ancestry) and the answer was "NOPE".

Bob in Cary

RE: Steamed Artichokes Wed, 05/31/06 5:31 PM (permalink)
                  I'm pretty lazy when it comes to preparing them. I whack about a quarter inch off the end of the stem and steam them for 35 or 40 minutes. Then serve them with melted butter with a little fresh lemon juice in it.

Our markets have 2 varieties of large ones. I've never seen the babies here.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Steamed Artichokes Wed, 05/31/06 5:39 PM (permalink)
                    If you every travel the Monterey Bay area of Central California stop in Castroville for a couple of reasons. 1. and most important to me!!!! The Central Texas BBQ on Main Street does a real good job on it's Que and is worth a stop. and 2. (the reason for this Post)-- Castroville is the center of a major Artichoke Growing area in that part of veggie-producing country. I love to mess with steamed artichokes...but at home where 'style' isn't an issue. Keep some seasoned butter melted to dip the leaf-tips into and boy are they good. The Hearts themselves are even better.
                    Several places in Castroville brag on their deep-fried Artichokes, but I have never tried one so I can't report on them.

BT

RE: Steamed Artichokes Wed, 05/31/06 7:49 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Ashphalt

Has anyone else noticed that artichokes are more common restaurant offerings in certain parts of the country?

Well, Central CA is where most of them are commercially grown and the grocery stores pretty much all carry them through the season plus there's a very long and deep Italian connection in the area. I never honestly thought about it, though. I just buy them as a vegetable like I buy tomatoes (but then I also buy Brussel Sprouts and that's probably pretty wierd too). But most people I know like them. Still, it seems to me that they are mostly eaten at home because of the mess--they are a "finger food".

Sundancer7

RE: Steamed Artichokes Wed, 05/31/06 9:52 PM (permalink)
                        BT, you are correct as they are messy, finger food and tasty. I saw on the food Channel that they have a festival north of LA somewhere.

I think they are a bit difficult to prepare but then again, they are very good.

Paul E. Smith
                        Knoxville, TN

BT

RE: Steamed Artichokes Wed, 05/31/06 10:28 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Sundancer7

BT, you are correct as they are messy, finger food and tasty. I saw on the food Channel that they have a festival north of LA somewhere.

I think they are a bit difficult to prepare but then again, they are very good.

Paul E. Smith
                          Knoxville, TN

Paul,

Again, at home, they aren't difficult to prepare. I do it just like Bob in Cary. Whack off the pointed end about 1/4 the way toward the stem end, then steam (I'll take his word for the time--I have to look it up each time I do it). Squeeze a little lemon juice over them and serve with melted butter.

santacruz

• Total Posts: 372
                            RE: Steamed Artichokes Thu, 06/1/06 12:54 PM (permalink)
                            I just cut a little of the stem and outer leaves off, then put in boiling water for about 10 -15 minutes. I make a dipping sauce of Organic whole milk plain yogurt, crushed garlic and good quality parma cheese. Sometimes I add fresh herbs. I boil the chokes with 1 or 2 lemons and some olive oil.

I dip each of the cooked leaves and innards, it is slow but good eating.

Bob in Cary

RE: Steamed Artichokes Thu, 06/1/06 1:15 PM (permalink)
                              I don't really time them, but cook them until the bottom leaves/petals pull away easily.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                                RE: Steamed Artichokes Sun, 06/25/06 9:40 AM (permalink)

I have them quite often in a local pizza place. They wrap the whole thing in foil with liquid and place in the oven.

PhenoBarbieDahl

• Total Posts: 69
                                  RE: Steamed Artichokes Wed, 07/19/06 6:04 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by santacruz

I just cut a little of the stem and outer leaves off, then put in boiling water for about 10 -15 minutes. I make a dipping sauce of Organic whole milk plain yogurt, crushed garlic and good quality parma cheese. Sometimes I add fresh herbs. I boil the chokes with 1 or 2 lemons and some olive oil.

I dip each of the cooked leaves and innards, it is slow but good eating.

That dipping sauce sounds good. I usually dip in mayo mixed with soy sauce or Worcestershire...easy and a good foil for the artichoke. Miss those lovely CA ones living in the midwest...even when they're in season they usually don't look that good out here.

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                                    RE: Steamed Artichokes Thu, 07/20/06 4:18 PM (permalink)
                                    I rarely cook anything in the microwave, but it works really well with artichokes. Prepare like others described above, put in a micro-safe bowl and cover. (I use Corning ware) Put a little water in the bottom and cook on high about 10 minutes, or until leaves pull off easily. Time will depend on size and maturity of artichoke.

For dipping I use clarified butter with lemon and garlic.

Cook several at a time, and eat them cold for snacks.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com