Steamed Cheeseburgers

Author
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 213
2003/10/30 19:20:40 (permalink)

Steamed Cheeseburgers

I had heard of steamed cheeseburgers, a local cuisine in Connecticut, but had never had one until today.

I had to make a road trip to southern CT, so I stopped at Ted's in Meriden. I had two of their basic steamed cheeseburgers with onion...

One word...AWESOME....ADDICTIVE...(okay two words).

I like them even better than White Castles, although they are completley different.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to other establishments in that area, just to try some different versions of this local delicacy?

16 Replies Related Threads

jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Steamed Cheeseburgers 2003/10/31 10:11:01 (permalink)
    On paper, steamed cheeseburgers sound odd, maybe even repulsive. But they sure are delicious. Ted's is probably the best place to sample one. The rolls Ted's uses for the burgers--something akin to a hard roll--also contribute to the burger experience to be had there. Ted's steams hot dogs, too.

Tom's Place in Meriden also serves steamers, as does O'Rourke's Diner in Middletown, which is reviewed on this site.
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Steamed Cheeseburgers 2003/10/31 10:51:59 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if this is what you're talkin' bout, but aren't White Castles steamed? I was told that's why they got the holes punched in em.
    Anyway, there is a great burger bar in Stillwater Minnesota called Meister's. They take the hand fromed pattys and put them on the grill and cover them with a pie pan turned upside down. They put the onions and cheese right on them. I don't see the addition of any water or anything, but the natural juicy fat seems to steam the burger and it is soft and moist and delicious when served.

If this constitutes a steamed burger, we got em' here at Meister's, otherwise, it's just a good place to get a burger and a brewski.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Steamed Cheeseburgers 2003/10/31 13:03:16 (permalink)
    Meister's pie pan method, similar to a technique used at NYC's Jackson Hole burger joints, still puts the beef directly in contact with a superheated grill or griddle. On some level, there is steaming involved but it is nothing like the goings on in Central Connecticut. I'm sure Meister's burgers are delicious all the same, especially with a beer.

Burgers steamed at Ted's and the other CT joints do not sit on a cook surface. Rather, the beef is portioned into little metal trays which are then loaded into a steam cabinet that is by all definitions a contraption. The end result is sort of a wan blob of meat that can be offputting in appearance but is a marvel of taste.

Edwaste
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Steamed Cheeseburgers 2003/10/31 14:41:02 (permalink)
    Another good place to try the steamed cheeseburger is Uncle Willy's in Waterbury CT. Look under BBQ in the Roadfood Revues.
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Steamed Cheeseburgers 2003/10/31 15:06:05 (permalink)
    jpatweb.....Thanks for that info. I don't get east too often, but my notebook is getting thicker and thicker with places i gotta stop and eat next time I venture thataway. Thanks again!
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Steamed Cheeseburgers 2003/10/31 15:24:40 (permalink)
    Shady Glen in Manchester is very charming---and still gives off the spirit of 1953. Funny looking, but great Steamed Cheeseburgers, OK fries...great ice cream. Great food. Great atmosphere.
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Steamed Cheeseburgers 2003/10/31 17:54:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stanpnepa

Shady Glen in Manchester is very charming---and still gives off the spirit of 1953. Funny looking, but great Steamed Cheeseburgers, OK fries...great ice cream. Great food. Great atmosphere.

Wow, Shady Glen has steamed cheeseburgers? I never knew! The ice cream IS the best, and the grill-cooked CBs are spectacular:

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Steamed Cheeseburgers 2003/10/31 18:48:48 (permalink)
    Michael,
    Just looking at that photo made me gain 5 pounds. I'm gonna have to quit coming by here until I lose some weight unless you can manage to post pictures of things that don't make me hungry!
    Wishing I Was At Uncle Willie's Right Now, The Attempting-To-Shrink Ort. Carlton, Ensconced 872 Miles Away In Lovely Athens, Georgia.
    kirklstruble1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Steamed Cheeseburgers 2004/04/26 14:58:33 (permalink)
    Sorry to burst the bubble folks, but the burgers at Shady Glen are grilled, not steamed. The only way to get the cheese at the Glen to flare up like the "Flying Nun's" hat is to grill it. People in Manchester look at you as if you have three heads if you mention a steamed cheeseburger (as do most people outside of the Meriden-Wallingford-Middletown metro area...believe me.) You really need to make a pilgrimage to the Mecca of Steamed Cheeseburgers... Ted's in Meriden. Or do what I did...get yourself a Burgr' Tendr' steamed cheeseburger chest and make them in the comfort of your own kitchen. Sharp Wisconsin Cheddar only.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Steamed Cheeseburgers 2004/04/26 15:17:51 (permalink)
    I have never had a steamed hamburger but it sounds like it would be fun to try. I seached the internet and came up with this recipe. My question to the steamed hamburger experts is: "Does this recipe sound like the real thing"?

Steamed Hamburgers
    w/ Onions & Garlic

Ingredients:
    3 lbs lean ground beef
    2 large onions, cut into rings
    Fresh garlic cloves (at least 2), chopped or sliced very thin
    1 stick butter
    Salt
    Pepper
    Hot Sauce

Preparation:
    In a Dutch oven or roaster, melt butter and sautee 1 large onion and garlic until soft.
    Season while sauteeing.
    While onion rings and garlic are sauteeing, make ¼ lb hamburger patties.
    Season and brown patties in skillet or frying pan, and stack on top of sauteed onions.
    Top patties with the other onion, and add 1 cup of water and some hot sauce.
    Cover and let simmer for a couple hours minimum, to absorb the flavor of the onions,
    garlic and hot sauce.
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Steamed Cheeseburgers 2004/04/26 15:40:18 (permalink)
    According to the Sterns in Blue Plate Specials, most places have a steamer box, where the burger and cheese are cooked separately, and the glob of cheese is then added.

Here is there advice to make it at home:
    You don’t have to be a do-it-yourself type to rig your own steam box at home. Using Brian O’Rourke’s expert advice, we jury-rigged one using a large skillet, a metal colander with feet, a big heatproof bowl, and a clean, empty 6-1/2-ounce tuna can.

Here’s how: Put about one inch of water in the skillet and place on the stove over medium heat. Place the colander above the water. Put 4—6 ounces of cheddar cheese in the tuna can and, when the water begins to boil, put the tuna can in the colander. Then, cover the colander with the big heatproof bowl, trapping the steam inside. In only a matter of minutes, the cheese will melt, then all you have to do is use a spoon to scoop it out onto a hamburger, a hard roll, or a piece of apple pie.

Makes enough cheese for 3—4 servings.

P.S. It is actually possible to cook the hamburger in the makeshft steam box if you want to be a classicist about your steamer. Put a half-inch patty of lean raw ground beef in another tuna can and steam both burger and cheese at the same time.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=118
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Steamed Cheeseburgers 2004/04/26 15:46:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

I have never had a steamed hamburger but it sounds like it would be fun to try. I seached the internet and came up with this recipe. My question to the steamed hamburger experts is: "Does this recipe sound like the real thing"?

Steamed Hamburgers
    w/ Onions & Garlic

Ingredients:
    3 lbs lean ground beef
    2 large onions, cut into rings
    Fresh garlic cloves (at least 2), chopped or sliced very thin
    1 stick butter
    Salt
    Pepper
    Hot Sauce

Preparation:
    In a Dutch oven or roaster, melt butter and sautee 1 large onion and garlic until soft.
    Season while sauteeing.
    While onion rings and garlic are sauteeing, make ¼ lb hamburger patties.
    Season and brown patties in skillet or frying pan, and stack on top of sauteed onions.
    Top patties with the other onion, and add 1 cup of water and some hot sauce.
    Cover and let simmer for a couple hours minimum, to absorb the flavor of the onions,
    garlic and hot sauce.

Hard to say since I've never had a steamed burger... But looking over the review http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=112 of Teds, I personally dont think they're browned first... Looks like they toss them in the steamer and let them go!
    nollequeen
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Steamed Cheeseburgers 2004/04/26 16:59:49 (permalink)

Excellent steamed cheese burgers at The Local Scoop in Rocky Hill, Connecticut on Cromwell Avenue (Right across from KinderCare. Too die for but incredibly filling, must be all the moisture.

Ice Cream is good too, it's imported from Ashley's in New Haven.
    kirklstruble1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Steamed Cheeseburgers 2004/04/27 09:43:14 (permalink)
    In no way shape or form should you brown the burger first before steaming it...it defeats the purpose. Besides, it is supposed to look like a wet, grey sock....sorry that's an accurate description (and one of the main reasons why this burger form is such a tough sell) As to how to make them at home (without the Burgr' Tendr') my brother and I would use two metal loaf pans fitted with two smaller metal tins (raised above the bottom so you could fill the loaf pan with water.) Put the apparatus on top of a gas flame and allow to boil. Fill one small tin with beef the other with sharp Wisconsin cheddar and steam them both at the same time. It's tough to cook a steamed cheeseburger to temp...they're just kind of done. However, after about 8-10 minutes they still remain really juicy.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Steamed Cheeseburgers 2004/04/27 12:26:09 (permalink)
    Ted's is the best! I had my first one in November and now require one about every two weeks - otherwise I get cranky! Ted's is the best place to get them not only for the taste but for the cozy atmosphere. 3 booths or five counter stools that's it. Eating at Ted's allows you to "get to know your neighbor" as you pass along napkins (you will need many), condiments and help the cooks give telephone directions to lost steamed cheeseburger seekers. Even though it gets really busy and crowded at times, no one cops an attitude. Service is pretty quick and courteous and the burgers are ALWAYS delicious!
    hhawk
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Steamed Cheeseburgers 2004/11/09 10:40:26 (permalink)
    High heat, like a backyard BBQ or the gas griddle (e.g., grill) at your local burger joint can does things like make a really tasty crust on the meat, but high temp. cooking is asssoicated with creating carcinogens.

Steam, more or less based on altitude, is always 212 degrees.. a nice low cooking temp.

For me unless it's white castle, i'd rather have it low and slow on the griddle... except when I cook hot and fast...

info:
    http://www.vegsource.com/campbell/messages/4162.html

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1