Steamed cheeseburgers

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 683
Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2010/06/10 21:05:52 (permalink)
You know, the rubbery cheese has always been my complaint as well.  I rather enjoy a hamburger from Ted's. 

A cheeseburger?  Not so much.

marzsit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 369
Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2010/06/11 06:29:52 (permalink)
tdj_tx

I watched "Hamburger Paradise" this weekend and they visited Ted's for the steamed cheeseburgers. I own a large Cuisinart two level steamer so I decided I needed to make these, they looked really good.  I found some small round baking pans that would work, they are about the size of a regular hamburger. I used 90/10 ground sirloin and an extra sharp white cheddar cheese. I steamed the burgers and cheese for a little over 10 minutes. The burgers were ok, the cheese was a little disappointing, it did melt but it ended up rubbery. The cheese shown at Ted's seemed very creamy and they made a big deal on not saying more about it, other than it was cheddar.  The burgers reminded me of bland mini meatloaf. I think that if I could get the cheese right these would be much better.

finding a cheese that melts smooth and stays creamy is the tough part.. ted's won't say who provides their cheese, it's supposedly custom-made only for their restaurant. i agree, rubbery cheese would be a turn-off...:(
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1847
Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2010/06/11 08:02:28 (permalink)

Bob,

I used to live in Waterbury, Ct., a city in the middle of many Roadfood spots. Ted's was only minutes away, with Blackie's on the road prior to reaching them. I have moved since I wrote this piece.

It's funny that you brought up this old thread as yesterday we served burgers at the retirement community where I work.  I'm not overly wild about this style but it works for the kitchen. We pre-broil them, putting grill marks on them. Then they are held in a beef base water bath to keep them moist.
The fact that they were staying moist in this bath made me think about burgers, water and Ted's;  it worked as a justification.

I have since moved to Austin and changed my address accordingly. It's funny, I seem to be eating more burgers than I expected when I thought I would be eating more BBQ. I am surrounded by great examples of both, but here is something I have noticed; most BBQ places do not serve burgers and the local burger places do not serve BBQ.  The twain rarely meets...

mark
post edited by doggydaddy - 2010/06/11 08:11:07
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2010/06/11 08:07:04 (permalink)

I think that you can find a good cheese for melting in a local Mexican grocery. I forget what style of cheese it is, but you'll find it there I bet.
Either that or Whole Foods.....

mark
BarbaraCt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2010/06/11 09:04:32 (permalink)
I also live within a short drive to Ted's and have enjoyed the steamed cheeseburgers.  I wonder what kind of cheese doggydaddy used in his picture.  It looks pretty good.  I wouldn't mind putting just the steamed cheese on a regular burger from the grill.  Or perhaps I  should just put tuna can inside a take out metal container with a half inch of water and put the whole thing on the grill..........
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 136
Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2010/06/11 11:13:13 (permalink)
marzsit

tdj_tx

I watched "Hamburger Paradise" this weekend and they visited Ted's for the steamed cheeseburgers. I own a large Cuisinart two level steamer so I decided I needed to make these, they looked really good.  I found some small round baking pans that would work, they are about the size of a regular hamburger. I used 90/10 ground sirloin and an extra sharp white cheddar cheese. I steamed the burgers and cheese for a little over 10 minutes. The burgers were ok, the cheese was a little disappointing, it did melt but it ended up rubbery. The cheese shown at Ted's seemed very creamy and they made a big deal on not saying more about it, other than it was cheddar.  The burgers reminded me of bland mini meatloaf. I think that if I could get the cheese right these would be much better.

finding a cheese that melts smooth and stays creamy is the tough part.. ted's won't say who provides their cheese, it's supposedly custom-made only for their restaurant. i agree, rubbery cheese would be a turn-off...:(

My guess is that they use a processed cheddar cheese, which is why they are hesitant to reveal the brand or source. They said on the show that you won't even find the empty cheese containers in the trash dumpster.  I might try making these again and use a Mexican Queso Blanco which is a good melting cheese.
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2010/06/11 17:38:19 (permalink)
to be honest doggydaddy, I didn't even look at the date of the post prior to mine.
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 136
Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2010/06/12 19:36:59 (permalink)
tdj_tx

marzsit

tdj_tx

My guess is that they use a processed cheddar cheese, which is why they are hesitant to reveal the brand or source. They said on the show that you won't even find the empty cheese containers in the trash dumpster.  I might try making these again and use a Mexican Queso Blanco which is a good melting cheese.

Ok, I tried Queso Blanco today and it did not work either. It did melt better than the sharp cheddar. I remembered another cheese that's used to make St. Louis style pizza, it's called Provel. I did some more research and here's what I found. I bet you this is what Ted's uses for it's steamed cheese burgers.
http://www.roadtripsforfamilies.com/provel-cheese-wisconsin%E2%80%99s-best-kept-secret/
kilerclown
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2010/06/16 14:31:50 (permalink)
A cheap steamer is one of those flower pattern veggie steamers that you spread into the bottom of a pot.  Works perfect and costs about $3.00.  Instead of tuna cans you can also use microwave safe tupperware containers of the right size.

The new trays for the steam cheeseburger makers are now made out of plastic and are great...no more cheese stuck to them.

I was lucky enough to score a steamer cabinet when Ruby's in Middletown, Ct closed years back, but I usually just use the veggie steamer since cleanup is a lot less.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1