Steamed cheeseburgers

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1847
2009/02/13 10:21:50 (permalink)

Steamed cheeseburgers

I live in the heart of steamed cheeseburger country. I -could- go to Ted's within 15 minutes; but there is no reason why this cannot be duplicated at home, and you can too. The two most important things is two empty cans and a steamer above water. Here are the basic prepped items.  I added Cajun seasoned salt on top.

I'm singing as I am cooking: "I got...steam heat."  (Pointer Sisters)

Looking good...

HHmmmmm juicy. I do not eat well done burgers, but this is very moist.

HHmmmm cheesy

Open very wide.  Don't worry, there is a great squashable factor

In conclusion, for those who are interested in trying this, I have some suggestions and variations. If you think that a tuna can makes a giant steamed meatball (it sort of does..), try using sardine/ smoked oyster cans. That is a shape more similar to what Ted's uses anyway. You could put a onion on the bottom or top to cook it with the beef. This is like Louis' Lunch does with their burger. My best suggestion is that you try it.

mark

38 Replies Related Threads

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/13 10:37:45 (permalink)
    That looks really good!

I have some cans of chunked chicken from Costco that I use to make chicken sald for my kids. They are like bigger tuna cans and would be perfect for this. 

I love the steamed burgers but live too far away to enjoy them often, and I am too cheap to buy one of those commercial steamer cabinets. I will definitely try this!
    AaronM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/13 10:43:27 (permalink)
    Looks awesome! I'm gonna try it this weekend.

Gonna use Trader Joe's raw milk cheddar!

fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/13 11:03:21 (permalink)
    This is great!
    Big_Ted
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/14 02:31:25 (permalink)
    I've never had a steamed burger before.  Do I need to put holes in the bottom of the cans?  I would think they would end up floating in their own grease if not.
    doggydaddy
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/14 08:04:29 (permalink)
    Big_Ted

I've never had a steamed burger before.  Do I need to put holes in the bottom of the cans?  I would think they would end up floating in their own grease if not.

I wouldn't for two reasons.  Actually, this method is based on healthy, grease free cooking. The burger is not cooking in its own fat as it would on a griddle. There is some juice, condensation and it all depends the fat content of the meat. It is minimal, and I drain it out easily into my dog's Gravy Train....

But to duplicate Ted's, you need to cook it as they do. They have solid bottom trays, and as I mentioned, a rectangular can is more like what they use.

You could just hand form a patty and steam it without any container. Clean-up would be a pain as you scrub the steamer tray and the water bath below. When I finished with what I demonstrated, all I did was clean two cans.

mark

brickie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/14 08:29:00 (permalink)
    A+ on everything!
    Except the brand of ketchup.

post edited by brickie - 2009/02/14 08:30:58
    doggydaddy
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/14 08:45:29 (permalink)

Thanks...
    With my current budget, this is exceptional ketchup from Aldi's. They have a double your money back guarantee.
    I would shop generic as a rule even before these tough times. 

mark

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4567
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/14 09:00:37 (permalink)
    Hey Mark, That was a 5-Star performance.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/14 10:31:59 (permalink)

Hmm.  Tough choice here...
    post edited by Adjudicator - 2009/02/14 10:34:17
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8699
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/14 11:30:37 (permalink)
    Wow!looks excellent!
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 277
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/14 14:08:56 (permalink)
    doggydaddy

Big_Ted

I wouldn't for two reasons.  Actually, this method is based on healthy, grease free cooking. The burger is not cooking in its own fat as it would on a griddle. There is some juice, condensation and it all depends the fat content of the meat. It is minimal, and I drain it out easily into my dog's Gravy Train....

Mark, how is the burger not cooking in its own fat if there's nowhere for the fat to go?  I'm a little confused on this one.

doggydaddy
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/14 15:12:28 (permalink)

Beef cooks, juices collect, you drain.  This is no different than how you would cook ground beef in a pot if making bolognese, chili or more. Fat and ground beef is inevitable, the steaming cooks it out.

As I wrote before, if you want, just make a patty and or put holes in the can and steam away. I am just doing it the way it is done at Ted's, no substitution.  Feel free to try your variation.

mark
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 277
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/14 15:19:29 (permalink)
    just wanted to make sure I was understanding what you did.  the burger did cook in its own fat which if anything makes it taste better. 
    Big_Ted
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/14 16:31:29 (permalink)
    how long did it take for your burger to steam? 
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/14 20:09:06 (permalink)
    I would like to know how long it took also...Russ
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/15 10:52:25 (permalink)
    Adjudicator

Have you ever had a steamed cheeseburger?

easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 567
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/16 01:53:52 (permalink)
    Just for info, here is another take on a "steamed" burger.  In little Prairie du Chien WI is Pete's hamburger stand, which will celebrate it's 100th anniversary this coming July.   It is only open seasonally, and staffed by Pete's descendants, who will say that the stand has put several of them through college.

It is just a small, trailer-like building downtown, and you walk up to the window to order and watch them cook the burgers.  No place to sit down inside or out, so you will sit on the curb or in your car, or drive to the attractive little park two blocks away and find a picnic table

You get the burger the way they give it to you, and that's it.  You can have onions or not, and ketchup or mustard, but no cheese, pickles, lettuce, or other fancy fixin's.  Chips or soda, okay, but no fries, no hot dogs, no nothin' but a burger in a bun and get outta here now.

Does that bother anyone?  Hell, no.  They line up to get bagsful at three bucks a pop.  They cook them a batch at a time, and if one batch sells out, you wait until the next one is done.

Now the "steaming" -- as you stand there, you see they have a big metal grill with a thin layer of water on it, which is merrily bubbling away.  The water is only maybe a quarter inch thick, or less,  while the burger is well over an inch.  They let it bubble on one side for a while, then flip and do the other side.  The burgers are definitely not sauteed, they are sort of boiled or steamed.  They are done through, but there's no Culver's crispy edges!   

I can't remember if they said they put down 48 or 72 on the grill at a time, but it is quite a few.  And they put down a batch of onions with them, which also steams, or I would call them more stewed than fried or anything else.  The onions were good, but kind of underwhelming, actually.

We took ours to the park, and a strange thing happened.  With our first bite we agreed that they were way too bland, and desperately needed some salt and pepper.  But by the time we were almost done, we both agreed that they were just fine the way they were.  I don't know what happened in the meantime, but the burgers definitely grew on us.

We will surely be back this summer, but this time we will take along some salt and pepper and a few slices of cheese.  We really want to give them another shot.  And it's a pretty little park on the beautoful Mississip'.
    doggydaddy
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/16 02:44:47 (permalink)
    Big_Ted

how long did it take for your burger to steam? 

This is where I give my standard reply that I don't have a actual time as I cook by touch.  I put the cheese and meat in at the same time, so I based it when it was melted.  I did not mention this, but I kept adding cheese as it melted. Generosity is good....
    Interesting that you can find one in Wisconsin, but I speak for many when I say that a big goopy wad of molten cheese is essential.

Ted's is very basic too. They offer home fries and not much else, maybe a hot dog, but who cares? There is S & P at the booths and counter.

mark
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/16 20:19:45 (permalink)
    Tony Bad

Adjudicator

Have you ever had a steamed cheeseburger?

You bet.  Once.  That was enough, IMO.  I even steamed mine in beef broth in a bamboo steamer.  Not to say that I didn't eat it, though.  To each his own, etc.

post edited by Adjudicator - 2009/02/16 20:21:02
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/16 21:00:49 (permalink)
    Adjudicator

You bet.  Once.  That was enough, IMO.  I even steamed mine in beef broth in a bamboo steamer.  Not to say that I didn't eat it, though.  To each his own, etc.

It does seem to be a love it or hate it dish...I was just asking because I love them, but from looks alone I could see why folks might be turned off.

What confuses me about them is one of the big complaints I read is they are dry, yet I have always found the to be so juicy they are sometimes hard to eat without them self destructing half way through!

As you say, to each his own.

John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/17 09:17:20 (permalink)
    All burgers are good, some are just a little better than others.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/17 09:28:39 (permalink)
    doggydaddy

There is some juice, condensation and it all depends the fat content of the meat. It is minimal, and I drain it out easily into my dog's Gravy Train....

Mark, do you remember the fat content of the beef you used?  Was it 10% or less?

I think I'd be more tempted to drink the seasoned juices than give them to the dog...

Brad
    sunline1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/18 09:14:12 (permalink)

Burgers look great, makes me want to eat a cheeseburger !!!

I sometimes do something, just a little different, but the burger is still partally
     steamed IMO.

Put the hamburger patties in a med hot non- stick frying pan add a splash of water (optional), and put a tight lid on the frying pan. As the patties cook their juices will help to cook (steam) the burgers. I put minced onion in the patties which supplys quite a bit of moisture for the steaming. Also if you don't put any water in, and the pan is hot enough, the burgers will brown a little as well. Put your cheese on near the end if you care to. I generally eat my burgers without cheese although sometimes I do. 

I have never met a "Hamburger" I didn't like.

John
    post edited by sunline1 - 2009/02/18 12:07:26
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/20 06:16:17 (permalink)
    the people who make the burg'r tend'r (the 2 models of burger steamers) also sell the trays seperately as replacements, and they'll work in any food steamer if you're after the "true" ted's burger experience...

i have the home model (10 trays) and the instructions say 6 minutes for a medium burger, but it's more like 10 minutes... the cheese melts faster than the burger cooks. it's important to find a cheese that doesn't seperate when it's melted (i use tillamook sharp white cheddar, it melts smooth but i'm told it's too strong a taste when compared to the cheese that ted's uses... apparently, their cheese is creamy but not very flavorful..)
    Bill Reynolds
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 230
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/20 20:42:05 (permalink)
       When I was a whole lot younger and my girlfriend and I were dating, we used to go to a drive in (remember them?) where they served steamed hamburgers and cheeseburgers. I got to the point where I would never eat until we got there just so I could get a couple of their burgers. They were so good. That is also where I started putting cole slaw on the burgers with some mustard. I know that thought will probally get some people to heaving but I loved it. The old drive in has been gone for years and I had not thought of a steamed burger for years until reading this thread. Sounds great and I have just put some hamburger out for tommorrow to give this a shot. The cheese melted like that also looks great. Thanks for the post.
    doggydaddy
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/02/24 09:11:53 (permalink)
    ===i have the home model (10 trays) and the instructions say 6 minutes for a medium burger, but it's more like 10 minutes... the cheese melts faster than the burger cooks. it's important to find a cheese that doesn't seperate when it's melted (i use tillamook sharp white cheddar, it melts smooth but i'm told it's too strong a taste when compared to the cheese that ted's uses... apparently, their cheese is creamy but not very flavorful.===

This proved to be true for me too. First off, I kept adding cheese as it was melting., it never looked like there was enough as it melted.
    If you look close. the cheese did separate a little, but as it cooled  I was able to work with it and put it back on top.

Regarding fat content. I used a 80/20 blend.

mark
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2009/08/21 11:37:02 (permalink)
    easydoesit

Just for info, here is another take on a "steamed" burger.  In little Prairie du Chien WI is Pete's hamburger stand, which will celebrate it's 100th anniversary this coming July.   It is only open seasonally, and staffed by Pete's descendants, who will say that the stand has put several of them through college.

The 8-20-09 edition of the Wisconsin State Journal has this article about Pete's.

Brad
    tdj_tx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 136
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2010/06/10 16:28:47 (permalink)
    I watched "Hamburger Paradise" this weekend and they visited Ted's for the steamed cheeseburgers. I own a large Cuisinart two level steamer so I decided I needed to make these, they looked really good.  I found some small round baking pans that would work, they are about the size of a regular hamburger. I used 90/10 ground sirloin and an extra sharp white cheddar cheese. I steamed the burgers and cheese for a little over 10 minutes. The burgers were ok, the cheese was a little disappointing, it did melt but it ended up rubbery. The cheese shown at Ted's seemed very creamy and they made a big deal on not saying more about it, other than it was cheddar.  The burgers reminded me of bland mini meatloaf. I think that if I could get the cheese right these would be much better.
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Steamed cheeseburgers 2010/06/10 20:30:28 (permalink)
    doggydaddy, you said you live within 15 mins. of Ted's. is that the one in Meriden,CT?
    your location says Austin,TX.
    did you buy one of the decommisioned Concorde jets for that commute?

I lived in Newington,CT for 50 years (15 mins. from Ted's by car) & never had one.
    steamed cheeseburgers can't turn me on.

good job on the home made ones DD.
    post edited by sk bob - 2010/06/10 20:34:13
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1