Steamed clams

Author
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
2006/02/09 11:32:14 (permalink)

Steamed clams

Steamed clams are great, but can olny find at Hooters in my area, are there other place out there in Northwest Indiana, that have them also?

Will go to Chicago, if they are great, and correct price.

8 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18256
    RE: Steamed clams 2006/02/09 11:45:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Polish guy

Steamed clams are great, but can olny find at Hooters in my area, are there other place out there in Northwest Indiana, that have them also?

Will go to Chicago, if they are great, and correct price.

Why not just buy steamers from your fishmonger and do them yourself? It's pretty simple, and it sure costs less.
    Polish guy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Steamed clams 2006/02/09 11:50:57 (permalink)
    Good idea, but need help in how to make them, and what goes with them.
    Polish guy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Steamed clams 2006/02/09 11:51:59 (permalink)
    Not many stores around here have them, and I don't know how fresh they will be.
    Polish guy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Steamed clams 2006/02/09 11:53:04 (permalink)
    And like to go out to eat some times for that special meal, and that could be steamed clams.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Steamed clams 2006/02/09 12:19:22 (permalink)
    Well, I always put them in a bucket of water with corn meal on the bottom. Leave them there for about an hour or so and let them take in corn meal and expel sand. To steam them I use a steamer rack in a lidded stock pot (or a regular steamer pot). I put water, some olive oil, some garlic and some white wine in the pot, add the clams cover and steam them till they open. It won't take long. (Any clams that don't open should be discarded.) I pour the steaming-liquid into bowls for dunking, serve bowls of melted butter, also for dunking, and eat till either the clams are gone or you can't hold anymore of them, whichever comes first.

As to what goes with them, I guess french fries would be good. Personally, I just want the clams. Of course I like to follow them up with lobsters.

I know it can sometimes be difficult to get hold of soft-shell clams here in the Midwest, but the guy I buy stuff from will order them if asked, and they come in by plane with his other orders.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Steamed clams 2006/02/09 12:37:13 (permalink)
    Corn meal is definitely the way to go. Some people say it makes them taste sweeter, I dont beleive that, but it definitely save you from a mouthful of grit.

Soft shelled clams are definitely my fave, and living in NE I get them all the time. However, sometimes I will steam the smaller mahogany clams. Do they have those out by you?

What goes with them traditionally is melted butter and some of the cooking liqud to wash the clam in to get rid of excess grit. Or to warm it up, because towards the bottom of a batch of steamers, some tend to get cold. Personally, i just like the butter. Also like to just eat the clams au naturale.

As a side dish, a lobster works just fine. Or perhaps some mussels.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Steamed clams 2006/02/09 13:36:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by renfrew

Corn meal is definitely the way to go. Some people say it makes them taste sweeter, I dont beleive that, but it definitely save you from a mouthful of grit.

Soft shelled clams are definitely my fave, and living in NE I get them all the time. However, sometimes I will steam the smaller mahogany clams. Do they have those out by you?

What goes with them traditionally is melted butter and some of the cooking liqud to wash the clam in to get rid of excess grit. Or to warm it up, because towards the bottom of a batch of steamers, some tend to get cold. Personally, i just like the butter. Also like to just eat the clams au naturale.

As a side dish, a lobster works just fine. Or perhaps some mussels.

I can find mahogany clams every once in a while here in Ohio, but I'm from Connecticut where I dug my steamers from the sandbars of Milford's portion of Long Island Sound, so I want nothing but soft-shell pissers, please.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Steamed clams 2006/02/09 18:38:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Polish guy

Good idea, but need help in how to make them, and what goes with them.
    Beer then more Beer if you want it. Chow Jim
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1