Steaming hot dog buns

Author
myway
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 310
2006/02/05 15:36:43 (permalink)

Steaming hot dog buns

Hi,
For the first time I am going to attempt to steam hot dog buns on my cart. I have tried, and failed too many times. What is the secret. Either my buns get wet and mushy, or they come out great but get hard as a rock in just a few minutes. Some of my customers take the dogs with them. By the time they get to where they are going, the bun will break your teeth. Any good advice on what I am doing wrong? I need to come up with a way to keep the bun soft and warm.
Thanks

28 Replies Related Threads

chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3304
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2006/02/05 21:10:37 (permalink)
    You're using the wrong buns. Steamed buns are par baked and sold in a steamer box. Perforate the bottom of the box, slit the top wrap on three sides, and place the box over a cloth towel on the steam tray above the steam pan, all done under a rolltop. Steaming finishes off the baking process. Steaming a baked bun destroys it. However, to successfully steam a baked bun without destroying it, steam it for a very short time(less than a minute) on a cloth covered steam tray with the water pan filled no higher than an inch. This will take trial and error, so be patient. Periodically check the water level to avoid boiling the pan dry.
    Good Luck.

CSD
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18493
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2006/02/05 22:20:22 (permalink)
    One of the neat things about Roadfood is the way folks who know something are willing to pass it on.
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2006/02/06 13:29:45 (permalink)
    Thanks CSD,
    I will check into the par-buns. I am not sure if the health dept. will allow it. But I will experiment with the other way you recommended using the baked buns. I just hate serving buns right out of the bag. They are like cardboard. I really appreciate the help, and I think I speak on everyone else's behalf that we appreciate your willingness to help out, God bless you.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2006/02/06 13:56:18 (permalink)
    I prefer grilled hot dog buns but when those are not available, the steamed bun will have to do. Thanks for that info, interesting.

Most hot dog carts I frequent do the steamed bun thing okay, but a few dont and I have always wondered why. Probably because they just steam the already baked buns like you say...
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2006/02/06 18:05:23 (permalink)
    Myway, those buns might be available in your area from Sysco. They're made by Alpha Baking Company in Chicago and go under the name of S.Rosen/MaryAnn or Vienna Beef. You might try locating a hot dog stand selling Vienna Beef products and ask them where they purchase their buns.

CSD
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2006/02/06 20:31:18 (permalink)
    Thanks CSD,
    I'll do that
    EddyBees Dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2006/02/07 02:40:02 (permalink)
    I had the same problem Myway, plus tons of buns being thrown out because I ordered too many or whatever. But buns are cheap right? OK heres my story. I got sick of those buns and some nice person like chicagostyledog told me about the Vienna Beef buns. They are expensive, almost 25 cents each, compared to 10 cents, but it is definately the way to go.
    First of all, you dont have waste!!!!! They come in frozen, and hold well even in the fridge for a few days, and even refreeze(if you really have to). You dont even have to defrost so they are readily useable, But you will want a freezer for sure! And listen to this-they can be reheated the next day! That is, if you if you havent had them in the steamer way too long. You can almost have zero percent loss if you play it right. So when it comes to the matter of cost, it is the really better than the cheapos. And, you can easily raise your prices a quarter, or even 50 cents to off set this further.
    I use the popppyseed Vienna buns and people love them! Other people see them and they sell themselves. They arent available to the public, so everyone wants them more! I highly reccomend using the Vienna buns, even if you arent using Vienna hotdogs. Go through Sysco or maybe your commisary can.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2006/02/07 11:30:52 (permalink)
    Eddy, I have the luxury of getting my buns fresh from Alpha Baking Company, the day of sale. Alpha has a plant 25 minutes from my home. What I don't use for the weekend, I refrigerate, not freeze for the following weekend. When they're fresh and refrigerated, instead of frozen, they're even better. The life of the buns is only 1 week from the day of baking if not refrigerated or frozen. Myway, Alpha has NW Indiana and Indianapolis distibution of their products. Call Jim Hoppe@800-676-4622 ext 3218 or (608)288-7864 for all the good news. Eddy, your Alpha rep is Mark Morrison@800-676-4622 ext 3241. Always happy to share.

CSD
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2006/02/24 21:20:20 (permalink)
    I prefer my hot dog buns toasted, especially New England style buns, slathered with a bit of butter. How about you?
    The Bear
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2006/02/25 05:53:07 (permalink)
    Many carts in my area leave the buns in the plastic bag in the steamer section and only take out what is needed during a busy time. Seems to work for them, they don't get soggy or hard that way. Chow Jim
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2006/02/25 08:45:03 (permalink)
    Do any carts have facilities for toasting the buns?
    The Bear
    Xfireguy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2006/03/02 16:12:33 (permalink)
    Screenbear,

If you can get a flat griddle on your cart that would be the best way.
    Delta
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 234
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2007/04/25 01:04:44 (permalink)
    Hey Chicago, great advice, so basically they're cooking like toast. I know of another cart in the city that gave up heating up the buns altogether because of this problem, never knew of the par buns, now I know! Well, I guess im just gonna try and use some buns that don't split as easily right out of the package, have 3 brands now, Ill let you know tomorrow!!! Thanks CSD for all your wisdom!!!
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2007/04/25 08:48:56 (permalink)
    Delta, place a bar cloth over the steam tray. This prevents the bun from scoring or toasting. Using a fully, pre-baked bun, requires steaming for only a minute or two. To successfuly open a bun without tearing it, gently slide the tip of your index finger from one side of the opening of the bun to the other. Below are buns steaming in my cart. There's a science to steaming a perfect bun. This includes the water pan, the amount of water in that pan, the correct depth of steam tray, and the degree of heat under the water pan. It's a system. If one part of the system is off, a perfect bun will never be steamed. Too much information for me to post. E-mail your phone number.

A correctly steamed bun is a work of art. It's warm and full with no tears and not squashed like a bagel dog. My finished product looks exactly like this.

CSD

Business Instructor
    www.hotdogu.com
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2007/04/25 09:22:35 (permalink)
    Delta, You might want to try the house brand of rolls at Hannafords. They are a little over $1 a doz. They keep well and are cut perfectly we used these alot at the VFW. The Market Basket house brand are fair at best, cut uneven so there is some waste. But as I said in another thread Piantidosi is a great roll and you can get them delivered to you. Chow Jim
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5432
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2007/04/25 09:34:14 (permalink)
    CSD I really hate you! Postinng that picture is pure torture, I cryng out in awe!

you bum you

MikeS.
    SgtHulka
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2007/04/25 09:42:10 (permalink)
    When I make hot dogs, I only use pure beef, not those bologna style dogs. And I just put the dogs in a bun and put the whole thing back in the bun bag, then tie off the bag. This works the best when making all 8 hot dogs. Leave them in there for 5 minutes or so and they come out perfect. I do this with regular buns.
    biker jim
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 403
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2007/04/25 10:02:24 (permalink)
    I've used both Francisco and Orowheat off the shelf rolls since I started. They steam up fine. The trick of using a bar towel on the bottom of the steamer tray is a good one. It helps keep the moisture in without getting the rolls too wet. I don't have the grill space or time to grill the rolls during a busy lunch rush. I just have to be careful not to overfill the steamer or let it boil dry, too wet...too dry. If the bottom of the roll is a little moist I set it on the grill for just a sec.
    Namho
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2007/04/25 22:33:23 (permalink)
    If you were in a concession trailer you could nuke them for a few seconds...works great!
    Delta
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 234
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2007/04/26 00:09:45 (permalink)
    Well, tried it today, tried Friehoffers, BJ's brand, and Wonder, and the winner is Wonder, easy to work with, doesnt split or tear, and a decent price, very comparable with both BJ's and Costco. Costco rolls were a loser, broken, split etc. I do place a cloth over an aluminum steamer pan so they dont overheat and didn't have a problem today! Got a function in Hudson Mass to go to on Sunday, so we will be shopping for the Wonder rolls, didnt have one tear on me yet, except for the end one, which is a throwaway anyways. Again, you guys are the best!!! The roll thing was my biggest problem so far, and I think we've solved it. At least it keeps me busy and gets me up in the mornings
    chopperchick
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2007/07/20 14:22:28 (permalink)
    When you say to put a cloth over, do you just mean some kind of towel over the exposed hole son the bottom? I did a search for par buns but didn't find anything. I started another thread where I messed up my buns and over steamed them. I need to experiment a few more times.
    chopperchick
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2007/07/20 15:10:40 (permalink)
    Hmm, I only have one hood so would it make a difference? Under the hood I have lids. Should I remove the lids and just use the whole closed lid for steaming dogs and buns?? What kind of buns are you using?

Thanks
    kensandyeggo
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2007/07/20 23:06:48 (permalink)
    I'll second the quality of the Vienna buns. I tried some locally baked ones and they were gummy, chewy and then collapsed and disintegrated. The Vieanna buns are bullet-proof and the leftovers can be refrigerated and they're good as new the next day.
    djtomatoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2009/04/07 21:09:07 (permalink)
    i use the costco buns and they steam really well.
    if i need them in a hurry, i micro 3-4 at a time for maybe 15 secs and then they go in my steamer......works just fine
    i do have a bar towel on the rack under the buns
    quickdog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 500
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2009/04/07 23:53:59 (permalink)
    djtomatoe

i use the costco buns and they steam really well.
    if i need them in a hurry, i micro 3-4 at a time for maybe 15 secs and then they go in my steamer......works just fine
    i do have a bar towel on the rack under the buns

I just changed my method. I use a 4 inch pan with a 2 1/2 inch perferated insert. then a steam rack on top of that , then a bar towel. I tested the time with one bun in there and it didn't get soggy for about 20 minutes. i can crank up the heat a little when it's full of buns.

lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2009/04/10 00:19:42 (permalink)
    I guess David does things slightly different.  Must be because he built his own cart and uses sterno-type cans to heat with (maintains 160F temps).  For daily street vending (bear in mind this is a very small town) he uses a standard 1/3 pan X 4" deep steam table pan with a cloth laid out on the bottom.  Then he has a layer of plastic mesh (I got in the craft section for doing cross stitch type stuff for who knows why) sitting on top of canning rings (hold the mesh 1/2 inch off the cloth). The cloth is kept moist (bottled water) and the buns are sitting directly on the mesh. David does have to keep the lids wiped or they drip on the buns (Flowers brand from Sam's Club).  This is working great for us as the buns stay nice and soft without getting either hard or soggy.  This Saturday, we will do a similar setup but using a full size chafing dish with the mesh layered over a wire cooling rack (kind used to cool cookies). We have been asked to set up at a stockcar racetrack in North GA for the next few weeks (until we leave for NM).  
    CC_Coffee
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2009/04/11 03:12:51 (permalink)
    SgtHulka

When I make hot dogs, I only use pure beef, not those bologna style dogs. And I just put the dogs in a bun and put the whole thing back in the bun bag, then tie off the bag. This works the best when making all 8 hot dogs. Leave them in there for 5 minutes or so and they come out perfect. I do this with regular buns.

Hi!  I'm a newbie!  I was reading this thread and this popped out at me... Are you saying that you pre-load the dogs and put them back in the steamer bun area?  This would save us a ton of time and it's worth a shot to try.....

Thanks for the clarification.
    snock
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Steaming hot dog buns 2011/01/26 15:41:24 (permalink)
    Hey guys,
    Im a doggie also.
    Really cool ideas.  Are you heating you dog before you add it
    to your roll?
    SNOCK
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1