Step down transformer

Author
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
2012/06/03 08:08:40 (permalink)

Step down transformer

I want to buy a 12 volt pump and run it on 120 volts so I need a step down transformer, at a good price. So far I haven't been able to find one. Anyone have any thoughts? Here are the pump particulars:

12v dc,  amps draw @10 psi (0.7 bar) 4.4,  2.9 GPM  (11 LPM),  Max PSI 50 (3.4 bar)

22 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/03 10:55:38 (permalink)
    lornaschinske
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/03 13:59:29 (permalink)
    You need an AC to DC CONVERTER. 
    CHEAP way: Wire up the pump to one of these

Easy & versatile way that  costs a little more:
    Get one of those battery jumpers that will power 12vDC stuff. Just leave it plugged in and the pump hooked to it. UPSIDE is that if your vehicles battery dies, you have a jumper right there already charged up!

More expensive and complicated:
     Why don't you pick up a cheap battery from Wal mart (we use the starter battery for the bus...might as well use it than let it sit) and run the pump directly off the battery? That's how we do ours. We use a cheap battery charger  every couple of weeks to charge the battery over night. Been doing this for a couple of years now. It's not like you need a big battery bank.Nor do you need an expensive deep cycle battery. You just need a single 12vDC battery and a way to charge it. You may need to replace the battery in about 5 years rather than the 7 years you get from better "real" deep cycles. Better yet, swap the battery out before the replacement time runs out.

Personally If we did it over again we would use the 2nd method (power jumper) But we had the battery and did not want it to die from sitting. And we picked up the charger from Wal-mart one day. Prior to that, David charged the cart battery by hooking it to the Jeep. Or placing it in the bus to crank the bus up once a month.

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/03 19:01:25 (permalink)
    6star Does this do you any good?
    http://www.buylightfixtures.com/120-volt-to-12-volt-step-down-transformer.aspx 

No because it's to bulky. Radio shack used to carry a small black box (looked a lot like some cell phone chargers) maybe 2 inches by 2 1/2 inches that plugged into a 110 outlet. Then on the side not plugged into the outlet it had two screws, that you could hook up a 12 volt (anything).
    But they don't carry them anymore. It would make my system very easy to use and allow me to drop down to a 12 volt pump vs the very expensive 110 volt pump. But I appreciate the effort very much.
    jack
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/03 19:07:06 (permalink)
    Lorna, I thought about the battery chargers, but no one would want one in a commercial kitchen or home kitchen for that matter.

And I thought about just letting the buyer worry about their power source but that would limit sales in a big way. Most in the food business know you have to hand feed your customer and this system will be no different.

jack
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/03 19:08:27 (permalink)
    I'm hoping Edwnmax will jump on here with an answer. He seems pretty sharp in this area.
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/03 19:56:43 (permalink)
    From your specs you probably need to check for peak current draw, as its listing 4.4 amps at 10 psi, while the max is 50 psi.  That being said there are tons of these available:
    http://www.12vadapters.com/

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/03 20:07:13 (permalink)
    That's interesting thank you.
    jack
    lornaschinske
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/03 20:46:37 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

Lorna, I thought about the battery chargers, but no one would want one in a commercial kitchen or home kitchen for that matter.

And I thought about just letting the buyer worry about their power source but that would limit sales in a big way. Most in the food business know you have to hand feed your customer and this system will be no different.

jack

So this is for something to sell? In that case buy an AC to DC converter (lots of RV's have them) and wire it in. Add a battery (they can buy their own if you wish other wise just get a deep cycle Marine battery) for the converter to charge. To make the converter earn it's keep, add a couple of 12vDC lights for "emergency" lighting.Add all that to the price of the unit.

Our Class C ran the all the 12vDc lights, AC/DC/LP refrigerator (until we jerked that thing out) and the Shurflo 2088 water pump off a converter  and a 12V deep cycle Marine battery from Wal-Mart. Bought the battery new in 2006. Still going strong in a fulltime rig (my daughter is in it now). When the power goes out, she still has lights.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/03 21:10:34 (permalink)
    Lorna,
    I can't build in an item that cost $60 to $300.00 into the price if my target price is $140.00. At least not do that, and not lose money. The difference of the price in a 12 volt pump and a 110 volt pump is serious and of course the 12 volt is cheaper. Come to think about it I don't understand why the 12 volt is so much cheaper?  But if I use the 12 volt pump I can lower the price but not if I have to add a big chunk of change for a step down transformer. That's why I need an inexpensive transformer/converter.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/04 06:24:36 (permalink)
    The AC/DC 'brick' linked in Rod's post above is your best bet.    You need 600 watts or better out put (ie: 5 amp)
    http://www.12vadapters.com/   price abt $20. ... Wholesale $15 or less   ... A Kendrick 120 ac to 12v dc is abt $100
    post edited by edwmax - 2012/06/04 06:41:39
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/04 06:27:22 (permalink)
    Oh ... you could buy cheap transformers (120 to 12v & less than $10) then you would have to build a rectifier circuit for DC out put.    ... Go with the brick to start.     ... Conceal the brick inside the housing with only the 120 v power cord to the outside. 
    post edited by edwmax - 2012/06/04 06:37:08
    Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/04 10:13:30 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

Lorna,
    I can't build in an item that cost $60 to $300.00 into the price if my target price is $140.00. At least not do that, and not lose money. The difference of the price in a 12 volt pump and a 110 volt pump is serious and of course the 12 volt is cheaper. Come to think about it I don't understand why the 12 volt is so much cheaper?  But if I use the 12 volt pump I can lower the price but not if I have to add a big chunk of change for a step down transformer. That's why I need an inexpensive transformer/converter.

How about offering the transformer as an option? It's hard to sell a "1 item fits all" because where people prep varies depending on local regulations; Commissary, Concession trailer, home or even heavy use in a restaurant. I know it complicates things a little but, unless a person is already approved to prep out of their trailer, they can only use the 110v model anyways. In addition, some may already have an inverter installed in their unit, then - their not purchasing something that they have no immediate use for. This would allow you to control the price more. Although EDWMAX seems to have the solution. If you could get one for that cost AND package it into the unit so there's no thinking involved for the end user - that would be great. My only concern at that point would be a UL listing, because your changing/adding to the design of the unit and selling it as whole. If you piece it out, then each item already has a UL listing and no further approval is required.
    In addition, I think once someone is set up, chances are their going to stay that way for a while. Only a few would need to convert back & forth......those would be the ones that make the additional purchase.

As a side note, I had visualized the unit selling in the $200-$225 range. So at least from my view, your well under expectations - price wise. Dont forget that as sales increase, your cost of materiel's will become less because of the volume; thereby increasing your margins. This allows you to hold pricing, while increasing sales/margins.

lornaschinske
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/04 12:12:42 (permalink)
    A 115vAC Shurflo is $132.52 +  free shipping
    Doing a search online may yield lower prices. And yes, you will have to have "additional" equipment for 12vDC. As for selling price... you should have priced it all out before you came up with a selling price. Ultimately I think the AC Shurflo is the cheapest route to go.

You can more info on the Shurflo pumps here plus install pdf & data sheet pdf

I would say that you need to either go all electric and adjust your price or stick the 12vDC unit in and plan a space for a single battery that the customer buys on their own.
    post edited by lornaschinske - 2012/06/04 12:22:43
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/04 14:55:16 (permalink)
    I would contact someone who builds devices for Molecular Gastronomy. They are always talking about the mechanics invoved.

Your product will easily be attractive for those folks...and your device will easily replace a device that costs about $3000.

So don't let a sniper come pick up such a deal....for resale in that market. F**k that. Excuse my French...but really. They will be ready to jump right on it. Right on it...all over it. Take every one you can build as fast as you can...gladly.

There might be a few in the weeds already...following along just waiting.. Screw them. Lol
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/06/04 15:18:33
    Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/04 17:16:09 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

I would contact someone who builds devices for Molecular Gastronomy. They are always talking about the mechanics invoved.

Your product will easily be attractive for those folks...and your device will easily replace a device that costs about $3000.

So don't let a sniper come pick up such a deal....for resale in that market. F**k that. Excuse my French...but really. They will be ready to jump right on it. Right on it...all over it. Take every one you can build as fast as you can...gladly.

There might be a few in the weeds already...following along just waiting.. Screw them. Lol

Whaaat??
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/04 17:18:32 (permalink)
    What what?

At $149.00 they should fly. But when you know exactly why they would fly...that price point might change. I know why.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/06/04 17:25:09
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/04 17:56:10 (permalink)
    Hot Dog Empire How about offering the transformer as an option? It's hard to sell a "1 item fits all" because where people prep varies depending on local regulations; Commissary, Concession trailer, home or even heavy use in a restaurant. I know it complicates things a little but, unless a person is already approved to prep out of their trailer, they can only use the 110v model anyways. In addition, some may already have an inverter installed in their unit, then - their not purchasing something that they have no immediate use for. This would allow you to control the price more. Although EDWMAX seems to have the solution. If you could get one for that cost AND package it into the unit so there's no thinking involved for the end user - that would be great. My only concern at that point would be a UL listing, because your changing/adding to the design of the unit and selling it as whole. If you piece it out, then each item already has a UL listing and no further approval is required.
    In addition, I think once someone is set up, chances are their going to stay that way for a while. Only a few would need to convert back & forth......those would be the ones that make the additional purchase.

As a side note, I had visualized the unit selling in the $200-$225 range. So at least from my view, your well under expectations - price wise. Dont forget that as sales increase, your cost of materiel's will become less because of the volume; thereby increasing your margins. This allows you to hold pricing, while increasing sales/margins.

You made two excellent points:
    The UL issue
    Price Point.

And together they solve my dilemma. My concern was that I originally thought it should sell for $199.00. But then some hesitation on a couple of local players made me think I should try and get the price down and the only way to do that is the 12 volt pump.

I'm sticking with the 120 volt pump and the price of $199.00. I can do that with no problem.  And what can you buy for a restaurant that cuts your prep time by 75%, dramatically improves your overall product if you continue to just use your same marinade, while creating an opportunity, for a truly original end product that no one else can duplicate. And all that for $200.00. Wow what a deal.

And if someone wants a 12 volt model no problem I'll sell them one ($125.00) and they can power it however they want. Good advice from everyone and I appreciate it very much.

Jack
    Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/05 15:35:25 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

Hot Dog Empire How about offering the transformer as an option? It's hard to sell a "1 item fits all" because where people prep varies depending on local regulations; Commissary, Concession trailer, home or even heavy use in a restaurant. I know it complicates things a little but, unless a person is already approved to prep out of their trailer, they can only use the 110v model anyways. In addition, some may already have an inverter installed in their unit, then - their not purchasing something that they have no immediate use for. This would allow you to control the price more. Although EDWMAX seems to have the solution. If you could get one for that cost AND package it into the unit so there's no thinking involved for the end user - that would be great. My only concern at that point would be a UL listing, because your changing/adding to the design of the unit and selling it as whole. If you piece it out, then each item already has a UL listing and no further approval is required.

You made two excellent points:
    The UL issue
    Price Point.

And together they solve my dilemma. My concern was that I originally thought it should sell for $199.00. But then some hesitation on a couple of local players made me think I should try and get the price down and the only way to do that is the 12 volt pump.

I'm sticking with the 120 volt pump and the price of $199.00. I can do that with no problem.  And what can you buy for a restaurant that cuts your prep time by 75%, dramatically improves your overall product if you continue to just use your same marinade, while creating an opportunity, for a truly original end product that no one else can duplicate. And all that for $200.00. Wow what a deal.

And if someone wants a 12 volt model no problem I'll sell them one ($125.00) and they can power it however they want. Good advice from everyone and I appreciate it very much.

Jack

So are the first 25 units going to be a signed "Limited Edition" for Road Food members only?
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/05 16:01:34 (permalink)
    Signed LMAO. I do owe a lot to this site. It has allowed me to hear others thoughts and then do some serious thinking about the whys and hows of the food business. And I'd say overall it's been a very good thing. Signed no but a generous discount to all the folks here for sure. And hopefully some good feedback from those that try the pork injector.
    BBQ Seeker
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/06 16:06:02 (permalink)
    Jack,
    I think it wise to offer in AC and DC. On the competition circuit you see a lot of BBQ Guru's and stokers and the guys that use them, ( like us ), have the ability to run 120 or 12 volts. I also think the price's are "palatable"
    Vince
    roadkillgrill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 179
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/06 16:55:36 (permalink)
    I ran mine off a wall-wart for years before I hard wired it in. (cheap too)
    Just make sure it produces enough amps
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Step down transformer 2012/06/06 16:57:54 (permalink)
    wall-wart... I'm lost don't know what that is?

Edit to add Ok did a search LOL never heard the phrase before. Sorry

A small power-supply brick with integral male plug, designed to plug directly into a wall outlet; called a ‘wart’ because when installed on a power strip it tends to block up at least one more socket than it uses.

Wow there are tons of them for sale very cheap, used but cheap. Thank you I was searching the wrong term all this time. Wall-Wart that's funny.
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2012/06/06 17:21:44
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1