Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
BBQFix
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2005/05/19 17:02:03 (permalink)

Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City

Anyone remember this restaurant?

Does anyone have a recipe for their BBQ sauce. It was brown, not red, and had a lot of meat and smoke flavor.

59 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7959
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2005/05/19 17:16:00 (permalink)
    I have searched for years for that recipe. It was the all time WORLD'S BEST!!!

We ate Stern's every single Sunday night when it was open.

Sad that the kids closed the restaurant.
    ty1onn
    Junior Burger
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2005/07/21 00:49:16 (permalink)
    My family would go to Stern's often during my fond childhood memories. We were so disappointed when it closed.
    My sister and I have been trying to find the recipe for their BBQ sauce. We miss it so much! It was the best BBQ sauce ever! Nothing can come even close to that! It was great to put that sauce over white rice! yum!
    I even had sent a letter to the LA Times to see if they had the recipe in their achieves.
    Wonder if one of the Stern's off-springs has the recipe. Would love to get that!!!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2005/07/21 13:00:36 (permalink)
    Oh how I miss Stern's!

I drive by that building almost every day.

I used to pull out the inside of my roll and fill it with sauce before layering the brisket and cole slaw on the sandwich.

We were told that the sauce was made with all of the day's trimmings.

Our Sunday to go order was usually the same...

A dozen rolls, 2 pounds of brisket (sliced lean and thin), a pint of sauce and a few pickles. I always wanted more sauce.

My mother and aunt were known as the lean and thin sisters by the man behind the counter. Every week they asked for lean and thin!

Nothing like Stern's and that's just sad!

(Did you eat at Woody's on Sepulveda, putting peanuts on your hamburgers?)
    mikepasadena
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2005/07/29 14:55:55 (permalink)
    I also grew up eating at Sterns and miss that famous sauce!!!

Several years back I tried to track down the family and was given an an address and phone number in Arizona. But no luck.

We must find a recipe. Please help!!

Thanks

Mike

mike@pentrex.com
    mar52
    Sirloin
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2005/07/29 15:52:04 (permalink)
    They must not have any idea how many unhappy people are out there!
    jamgar
    Junior Burger
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2005/08/28 17:24:24 (permalink)
    OK we all miss STRERN's!!!
    Me and my mom think that the problem with other BBQ joints is that they BBQ!! Stern had a giant rotisarri and slow cooked the meat...no grill. Real smoke flavor. The drippings made the sauce great.
    We are going to try to duplicate the sauce...by trial and error! Anyone else interested in discussing this.
    Anyone know a cook at sterns?

Jamie Garcia Playa Del Rey
    mar52
    Sirloin
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2005/08/31 02:47:28 (permalink)
    Drooling with anticipation!

mikepasadena
    Junior Burger
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2005/09/13 14:09:52 (permalink)
    If I remember correctly.......

Didn't Sterns have a place in Westchester for a while toward the end?
    And didn't they sell their sauce in a bottle also for a while?

I remember always taking home a big bag of sandwiches and the sauce was in a round white cardboard container.

It's lunchtime and I'm getting very hungry......

Mike

At one time you could access an old Sterns memu on the LA Public Library website.

carey2k
    Junior Burger
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2005/10/12 14:28:40 (permalink)
    I happened to come across this forum and was excited to see that there are others out there that remember the good ol' taste of Stern's bbq and sauce. I've been messing around for the last 3 years trying to duplicate the Stern's sauce. I've come close after slow cooking up beef brisket, gathering the drippings, adding mustard, a little ketcup and some spices. I am able to get the lumpiness I remember which comes from the meat drippings but still trying to duplicate the unique orangish color. Texas bbq sauces are usually pretty simple as opposed to other parts of the country so I am going to keep experimenting. In the meantime, if someone does come across this awesome recipe, let me know! I'll fire up the Weber bullet and get a brisket going!!!
    cadigger
    Junior Burger
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2005/11/11 21:50:57 (permalink)
    I am so happy to find others that can feel my pain! I still have a postcard and business card from Stern's. I use to drive 40 miles for their sauce. Please let me know if anyone finds or creates a recipe. Thanks!
    Hans Schieder
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2008/11/17 23:51:13 (permalink)
    I,too remember Sterns! The best food on the planet! On Mother's day the line went down the block!

A few days ago I was in B&B hardware also in Culver City. When it came time to check out who should be attending the line but the man who used to slice the roast beef at the take out counter!

We talked about Sterns and the great food. He was one of the cooks there and told me that the reason why the food was so good is that they had a brick oven and would cook the meat all night. Slow cooking did the trick!

He also told me that they made everything, the bread was baked there every day, the beans (I loved those!!) were cooked daily, they even made their own pickles! Those were the quality days!

In any case, if you want to talk to him that is where he is. We even spoke about opening a new Sterns, but the costs are very high, alas.

I hope this helps.

Hans
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2008/11/19 20:30:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hans Schieder
    A few days ago I was in B&B hardware also in Culver City. When it came time to check out who should be attending the line but the man who used to slice the roast beef at the take out counter!.... In any case, if you want to talk to him that is where he is.... I hope this helps.
    Hans

Dearfolk,
    Hans or someone, PLEASE go ask him about the BBQ sauce! He may be the only one who knows what made it so special (he might even have the recipe!)!! And maybe, just maybe, he can guide someone to the remaining family in Arizona... or wherever. It sounds like y'all are onto something gooood!
    Taking A Bow, Sternless Ort. in Seemingly-Near-Rudderless Athens, Georgia.
    Hans Schieder
    Junior Burger
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2008/11/20 01:03:45 (permalink)
    The next time I need to go to B&B,if he is there, I will ask him about the sauce and let you folks know what he says.

Hans
    Hans Schieder
    Junior Burger
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2009/01/17 21:32:05 (permalink)
    Here is the latest update...

I returned to B&B hardware and looked for the man but was told that he had quit.  I found out where he had gone and then went there.  Unfortunately he was not in.  (He now works in the field for the new company).

So, I will just have to return there again until I catch him in. I am not giving up on this as I like that sauce too!!

Hans
    mar52
    Sirloin
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2009/01/17 22:00:37 (permalink)
    I'm still waiting.

Stern's still holds the #1 place for the best bbq'd brisket sandwich EVER!

That sauce!
    iluvsterns
    Junior Burger
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2009/02/18 22:48:25 (permalink)
    I just found out about this website.  I remember Sterns BBQ. We would eat BBQ sandwiches there or my dad would order the sandwiches to go. The BBQ sauce was to die for. I have tried to replicate it but it wasn't the same.  There is something very special about the sauce.  I miss it.  It was a family tradition.  It would be wonderful to find the family and see what the secret ingredient is.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2009/02/23 17:12:30 (permalink)
    Last Tuesday (2/17) we returned to Backwoods BBQ near Interlachen, FL for a taste of their great BBQ. This time we shared a rack of very large meaty juicy falling-off-the-bone pig ribs.We had sides of green beans, baked beans (with a hint of cinnamon), terrific cole slaw, and potato salad. 

The service provided by our very attractive young blond waitress was warm prompt and professional. This place is a gem hidden in the backroads of north central Florida. If you find yourself in that area, make a detour and favor yourself with some excellent BBQ.

Cheers, John  
    7echo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2009/03/14 14:45:00 (permalink)
    Another Stern's lover, me. Best dad gum brisket EVER!!! Sauce was wonderful. Their BBQ beans were wonderful, too. I remember my family getting sliced brisket, a ton of their crusty rolls, sauce and coleslaw for special occasions. When the meat was all gone, I used to like to split the rolls and fill them with the beans. Mmmm....On a side note, does anyone remember Pickle Bill's BBQ on Pico in Santa Monica? They had great brisket as well, and a similar sauce, more like a gravy with meat in it. And THE BEST macaroni & cheese.
    Hendrixmom
    Junior Burger
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2009/07/22 12:49:15 (permalink)
    Yes, yes, yes, add me to the list of those who fondly remember Stern's bbq. I just wish somehow, some way we could get that sauce recipe! There is simply nothing else like it (at least in So Cal as far as I know).

7echo, I also remember Pickle Bill's.

Mar52, I know this is off topic, but I LOVED Woody's (although I didn't put peanuts on my burgers, I did put them on my sundae). I think that was probably the first burger place my parents took me to, and definitely the first place where I could add my own condiments (a big deal for a little kid).  Loved the food and the "alpine" decor! :-) Yet another great place, like Stern's, that is now just a fond memory.
    post edited by Hendrixmom - 2009/07/22 12:53:32
    7echo
    Junior Burger
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2009/08/13 11:04:21 (permalink)
    Woody's was wonderful!!! The first char-broiled burger I ever ate was there, mmmm! I remember all the toppings, including peanuts, and an ice cream bar as well, with more ice cream toppings. I used to like the little salads with the pickled beets on top with bleu cheese dressing. There was a whole chain of them at one point, I assume they're all gone now?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15285
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2009/08/13 12:03:25 (permalink)
    Our first RF get-together in 2004 was at a "Woody's BBQ" in a strip mall in Rancho Cucamonga (on Foothill near the Quakes Stadium). I am not sure if it was part of the original organization or not.  We had a great time at that initial meeting of about a dozen Roadfooders ! yeah, The BBQ was pretty good too!!

Here is the front of the place to help in recognition if you visit it. Note that my bride hasn't changed a bit since this photo, while McDuff has grown a bit grey around the muzzle, as has his master !

post edited by mayor al - 2009/08/13 12:17:42
    7echo
    Junior Burger
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2009/09/04 21:04:00 (permalink)
    I remembered after looking at another site that it was "Woody's Smorgasburger", which was a big chain in CA at one point. The last one in Westchester went out of business in the 90's sometime. It had a wood panel Swiss Alps lodge kind of decor if I remember right.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2009/09/04 22:22:49 (permalink)
    "Woody's Smorgasburger" and Stern's Famous BBQ

It would be wonderful if Woody's BBQ was a combination of the two, but alas it's not.

Both the best.  

If ever a Stern's BBQ topic gets posted I will be there.

Stern's BBQ sauce and Woody's tomato paste salsa are the two recipes I'll ALWAYS want.

nosepicker
    Junior Burger
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2009/10/21 14:01:51 (permalink)
    Maybe this will help with the recipe. My grandfather had heard that, in addition to the meat drippings, the bbq sauce had the "XLNT" brand of chili con carne in it. You can find "XLNT" chili con carne in most supermarkets.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2009/10/21 19:50:21 (permalink)
    Thanks, but nothing like it.  

Still the best.
    jmudrick
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2009/10/27 01:48:42 (permalink)
    Stern's was founded by my great-grandfather Isadore and was passed on to sons Eddie, then to my Uncle Max, then finally to Max's son Hal. If anyone would have the recipe (alas I don't) it would be Hal, who, last I heard, is a horseman and real estate broker in Flagstaff, Arizona. Just before The Barbeque was closed they were selling bottles of sauce which I remember my grandmother having in her closet. I pray sometimes that one shows up on ebay. I know if Max were still around he'd appreciate all the kind words. I miss it too.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    RE: Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2009/10/27 09:31:00 (permalink)
    Hi jmudrick,

It was indeed the best!

My mother and aunt were known at Stern's as "The Lean and Thin Sisters"

They were not!  Every week when standing at the counter placing their to go order, they always said.... one or two pounds of brisket.... lean and thin, please.  Every week!!!

We lived on Tilden Ave in West Los Angeles way back then and heard the new neighbors up the street were Sterns kids.  

We never asked because as much as we missed the restaurant it was nice knowing that the family lived up the street from us, true or not.

May your grandfather RIP and hello to you and the rest of your family.

THE BEST!
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    Re:Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2009/10/28 17:52:38 (permalink)

For those interested in Stern's BBQ I googled Hal Stern, then sent him the following email.

Hal, I frequent a web site called Roadfood.com. There is a post on the forum about Stern's BBQ. This post has been active for a long time with inquiries about Stern's BBQ sauce. A relative of yours referenced your location and occupation so I googled you. I thought it might be of interest to you. There are some folks who sure miss your BBQ and particularly the sauce. There are requests for the recipe but no one seems to know the ingredients. The relatives post said if anyone knew the recipe it would be you. I thought you might enjoy reading the posts from some old fans of you BBQ.

Below is Hal's reply....

Bob, THANKS for your inquiry, but the key to this product was the
    meat trimmings that were ground up fresh each day to make it!
    No preservatives were used and so there was a very limited shelf life.
    I do have the ingredient list but I would be very reluctant to reslease it
    as it would not really be possible to replicate it!

Your sincerely,

Hal Stern

mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Stern's Famous BBQ in Culver City 2009/10/29 02:09:58 (permalink)
    Exactly!  That's what I said in post #4.

It was the trimmings and it was THE BEST!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1