Sterns New Roadfood Sandwiches book

Author
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
2007/05/01 18:02:52 (permalink)

Sterns New Roadfood Sandwiches book

Has anyone bought this book, or at least read it yet? I am considering asking for it for Father's Day. I personally loved "Two For the Road". Is this book similar with the recipes for various sandwiches reviewed in the book? Thanks!

9 Replies Related Threads

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    RE: Sterns New Roadfood Sandwiches book 2007/05/01 19:03:58 (permalink)
    Yes, the book is wonderful - one of their best! About a hundred sandwich recipes, each one accompanied by a story that discusses the inspiration for, and origins of, the particular sandwich. There are even a few sandwiches from restaurants not previously reviewed by Jane and Michael. Our copy has already received its baptism from cooking splashes!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    RE: Sterns New Roadfood Sandwiches book 2007/05/01 19:34:01 (permalink)
    I bought the book last week at Barnes & Noble. They had them on the shelf but not out on a new books table or face out on the shelves. Kind of stealthly showed up. I was quoted! Anonymously on the walleye sandwich but I recognized it from my first message in this thread...

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9729
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Sterns New Roadfood Sandwiches book 2007/05/01 19:40:25 (permalink)
    I was fortunate as Michael and Jane gave me one this past weekend with a personal note attached. I have not reviewed it as I have been traveling since.

I flew into Cincy, Sioux Falls, Sioux City, Omaha and now Omaha. I am leaving tomorrow for the Quad Cities and then Peoria, Indy, Louisville, Lexington and then back home to Knoxville. As you can see, I have been busy since Nashville.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: Sterns New Roadfood Sandwiches book 2007/05/01 20:49:33 (permalink)
    I picked one up last week and had Jane and Michael sign it while in Nashville. It is loaded with approximately 100 recipes - I believe Michael said 98. They run the gamut across the country and across tastes. I believe it's a wise investment!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Sterns New Roadfood Sandwiches book 2007/05/02 13:30:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I was fortunate as Michael and Jane gave me one this past weekend with a personal note attached. I have not reviewed it as I have been traveling since.

I flew into Cincy, Sioux Falls, Sioux City, Omaha and now Omaha. I am leaving tomorrow for the Quad Cities and then Peoria, Indy, Louisville, Lexington and then back home to Knoxville. As you can see, I have been busy since Nashville.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Paul, Peoria is a very chaincentric town, my in-laws live there and I've been visiting for almost 30 years. Finally my SIL came up with a local place near her work and took us to Khaki Jacks. It's mostly a bar, very clean and serves up some wonderful sandwiches. I had a pork chop sandwich, very moist. My partner had tuna which was a tuna steak dressed with a nice vinagarette, can't remember what SIL had but we shared a giant basket of very crisp and tasty sweet potato fries. The place is easy to miss, in a small strip behind a Huck's gas station. The place was clean and not at all smokey.

Khaki Jack's
    7221 North Allen
    Peoria
    309-691-8010
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Sterns New Roadfood Sandwiches book 2007/05/02 14:16:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Paul... With all those frequent flyer miles, both you and Matt Lauer should be able to get a free trip to the International Space Station.
    LuckyLabrador
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Sterns New Roadfood Sandwiches book 2007/05/02 16:57:56 (permalink)
    Personally I was disappointed, NO PICTURES, Gimme pics!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: Sterns New Roadfood Sandwiches book 2007/05/02 17:28:36 (permalink)
    LuckyL - I spoke to Jane regarding the pix - her comment is that the publishers veto it due to higherpublishing cost which in turn, increases retail to around $29.95. I am emailing the publisher to vote for pictures in their next book.
    YourPalWill
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Sterns New Roadfood Sandwiches book 2007/05/06 23:00:15 (permalink)

Well, I'll post a picture of my sandwich featured in the book. The photo of the Will Special is courtesy of LTH Forum.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1