Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa

Author
MrHotDice
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2006/06/04 20:20:07 (permalink)

Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa

I am looking for a clone of their onion sauce recipe if anyone has it. They have the best sauce I have ever tasted.

20 Replies Related Threads

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/04 21:38:00 (permalink)
    This is a treasure trove of unusual recipes and all kinds of miscellanea.
    http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/index.html

http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/mostpopular.htm
    This can be a good start..
    Good luck..
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/05 01:32:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MrHotDice

I am looking for a clone of their onion sauce recipe if anyone has it. They have the best sauce I have ever tasted.

That's interesting MrDice. I remember when I came to WV when I was 17 and my first girlfriend would drag me down to Stewards on the west side of Charleston for hot dogs. I'd never had chili on a hot dog before, but loved it the first time I tried it. Next time I'm in Huntington I'll try to pick some up and recreate. The Stewards are all gone from Charleston but I believe there is still one in Huntington over on Hal Greer Blvd.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18372
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/05 11:46:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by WVHillbilly

quote:

That's interesting MrDice. I remember when I came to WV when I was 17 and my first girlfriend would drag me down to Stewards on the west side of Charleston for hot dogs. I'd never had chili on a hot dog before, but loved it the first time I tried it. Next time I'm in Huntington I'll try to pick some up and recreate. The Stewards are all gone from Charleston but I believe there is still one in Huntington over on Hal Greer Blvd.

I lived in South Hills in 1965 and 1966, and then in Edgewood from 1969 through 1971. I can't remember any place called Stewart's or Steward's. I sure would have liked trying some of those hot dogs.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/05 12:14:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

quote:

I lived in South Hills in 1965 and 1966, and then in Edgewood from 1969 through 1971. I can't remember any place called Stewart's or Steward's. I sure would have liked trying some of those hot dogs.

Well, it certainly wasn't an elegant or sophistocated place, so I'm sure you would have little noted its presence.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4211
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/05 12:26:20 (permalink)
    Is Stewarts/Stewards onion sauce anything like the onion sauce served off the New York Hot Dog carts? If so, I'd sure like that recipe too!

Buddy
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/05 12:36:39 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, it certainly wasn't an elegant or sophistocated place, so I'm sure you would have little noted its presence.

You think? Are you saying it was not as nice as the Hub, or even Waybright Cafeteria? Was it not as elegant or sophisticated as the Quarrier Diner, or the Anchor and Southern Kitchen over in Kanawha City? How about Gino's on West Washington, or Joe Fazio's on Bullit?

What's your problem?
    boyardee65
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/05 12:39:20 (permalink)
    You all might goole Sabrett Hotdogs. They have the best onion sauce. Tried to duplicate it and couldn't get it right. I order it online. Sorry, never heard of Stewarts.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/05 12:52:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by boyardee65

You all might goole Sabrett Hotdogs. They have the best onion sauce. Tried to duplicate it and couldn't get it right. I order it online. Sorry, never heard of Stewarts.

Don't know if you have Publix grocery stores but ours carries the Sabrett's sauces.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/05 20:07:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael HoffmanYou think? Are you saying it was not as nice as the Hub, or even Waybright Cafeteria? Was it not as elegant or sophisticated as the Quarrier Diner, or the Anchor and Southern Kitchen over in Kanawha City? How about Gino's on West Washington, or Joe Fazio's on Bullit?

What's your problem?

Hub and Waybrights. . . didn't last long did they?
    Quarrier Diner. . . the best grilled sandwiches until it closed down a few years ago. The old man got sick and his daughter gave it up soon after. Now only the Tap Room is open in the basement. I'm sure you're familiar with that establishment.
    The Anchor. . . there was the original and the Anchor II, both run by dear friends who have since passed (draft beer and some of the first homemade pizza in Charleston) and now there is the cheap bar and grill with sub par food called "The Anchor" in honor of the original, but does not do it justice.
    Southern Kitchen. . . hasn't changed in 40 yrs. Still run by the same grand old lady.
    Ginos. . . yuck, really bad. Always was, always will be. Their sister operation "Tudors Bisquits" floats it. but they were the first to deliver all the way back in the 60s.
    Joe Fazio's. . . overpriced junk Italian. It used to be REALLY bad in the late 60s, 70s, 80sand 90s. It has actually gotten a little better in the past few years.
    Stewards was nothing like any of those places.
    My problem? Can't think of any.
    You?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/05 20:17:24 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael HoffmanYou think? Are you saying it was not as nice as the Hub, or even Waybright Cafeteria? Was it not as elegant or sophisticated as the Quarrier Diner, or the Anchor and Southern Kitchen over in Kanawha City? How about Gino's on West Washington, or Joe Fazio's on Bullit?

What's your problem?

Quarrier Diner. . . the best grilled sandwiches until it closed down a few years ago. The old man got sick and his daughter gave it up soon after. Now only the Tap Room is open in the basement. I'm sure you're familiar with that establishment.
    The Anchor. . . there was the original and the Anchor II, both run by dear friends who have since passed (draft beer and some of the first homemade pizza in Charleston) and now there is the cheap bar and grill with sub par food called "The Anchor" in honor of the original, but does not do it justice.
    Southern Kitchen. . . hasn't changed in 40 yrs. Still run by the same grand old lady.
    Ginos. . . yuck, really bad. Always was, always will be. Their sister operation "Tudors Bisquits" floats it. but they were the first to deliver all the way back in the 60s.
    Joe Fazio's. . . overpriced junk Italian. It used to be REALLY bad in the late 60s, 70s, 80sand 90s. It has actually gotten a little better in the past few years.
    You?

the Hub was in business for many years, as was Waybright's. I'd say they lasted a very long time. I never said Gino'swas good. But it was the only place you could get even a bad tomato pie that close to where we lived. And Gino's didn'tdeliver up the hill where we lived. I didn't know they delivered at all. As far asJoe Fazio's is concerned, it was the only actual Italian restaurant in Charleston back then, and there was a wine shop next door where you could buy something to take in with you. The wine helped overcome the quadrillion empty cheap chianti bottles on the tables and hanging from the ceiling. I do not remember any Tap Room below the Quarrier Diner,and as far as the Anchor was concerned, it was not far from where we lived in South Hills, and the only place I can remember in that part of town where you could get an apizza and a beer.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/06 00:41:07 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

What's your problem?

You?

the Hub was in business for many years, as was Waybright's. I'd say they lasted a very long time. I never said Gino'swas good. But it was the only place you could get even a bad tomato pie that close to where we lived. And Gino's didn'tdeliver up the hill where we lived. I didn't know they delivered at all. As far asJoe Fazio's is concerned, it was the only actual Italian restaurant in Charleston back then, and there was a wine shop next door where you could buy something to take in with you. The wine helped overcome the quadrillion empty cheap chianti bottles on the tables and hanging from the ceiling. I do not remember any Tap Room below the Quarrier Diner,and as far as the Anchor was concerned, it was not far from where we lived in South Hills, and the only place I can remember in that part of town where you could get an apizza and a beer.

Leonora's has been around longer than Joe Fazio's. Up until the mid 80s, it was a truly authentic Italian spaghetti house of much higher reputation and quality than Fazio's. After Papa Leonora died, his son's took over and it went downhill. It still survives, but a shadow of its former self.
    Pizza Hut has been in Kanawha City since at least '69. It beats the hell out of Gino's.
    MrHotDice
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/06 02:04:22 (permalink)
    Sabrett Onion Sauce recipe gives you the basics but their are a few things you have to add to give it that great taste. A friend of mine makes it and adds Grape pop to the recipe, and increases the paprika and chilli pepper and adds cummin. Its as good as what you get in NY.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/06 02:40:46 (permalink)
    quote:

Sabrett Onion Sauce recipe gives you the basics but their are a few things you have to add to give it that great taste. A friend of mine makes it and adds Grape pop to the recipe, and increases the paprika and chilli pepper and adds cummin. Its as good as what you get in NY.

According to their website, it is a secret recipe....
    ho hum... like so many... why cant they just tell us?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/06 03:16:00 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What's your problem?

You?

Leonora's has been around longer than Joe Fazio's. Up until the mid 80s, it was a truly authentic Italian spaghetti house of much higher reputation and quality than Fazio's. After Papa Leonora died, his son's took over and it went downhill. It still survives, but a shadow of its former self.
    Pizza Hut has been in Kanawha City since at least '69. It beats the hell out of Gino's.

I never heard of Leonora's unfortunately, I surmise from what you said about it. I went to Gino's when I lived up the hill on the West Side. There was no Pizza Hut in Kanawha City when I lived on that side of the river, which was in 1965 and 1966. When I lived there I went to the Anchor. But I wouldn't have gone to a Pizza Hut if it was the only place on Earth to get an imitation apizza.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/06 10:10:35 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What's your problem?

You?

I never heard of Leonora's unfortunately, I surmise from what you said about it. I went to Gino's when I lived up the hill on the West Side. There was no Pizza Hut in Kanawha City when I lived on that side of the river, which was in 1965 and 1966. When I lived there I went to the Anchor. But I wouldn't have gone to a Pizza Hut if it was the only place on Earth to get an imitation apizza.

The Anchor was a great place and like I said, was run by some very good friends. Spent MANY long evening there.
    That being said, their pizza sucked! They used frozen crusts and canned ingredients.
    I arrived in CRW in '69 and couldn't believe that anyone actually ate the things. A Pizza Hut pizza would be a far cry better than anything Joe or Mike ever made down at the Anchor. It was like the worse frozen pizza you could find.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/06 11:26:13 (permalink)
    But in 1965 and 1966 is was just about the one apizza in town -- at least on that side of town. Having moved there from New Haven, it was shocking to find that was all there was.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/06 11:41:31 (permalink)
    quote:

But in 1965 and 1966 is was just about the one apizza in town -- at least on that side of town. Having moved there from New Haven, it was shocking to find that was all there was.

When I moved here in '69 it was simply shocking on many accounts. . . some good, some not so good.
    corabeth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/11 09:31:16 (permalink)
    I lived just outside Charleston from 1953(age 6) to 1976. So, I'll weigh in with a few of my favorite Charleston roadfood memories:

Fazio's- Sometime in the middle 1950's I tasted my first pizza- an
    anchovy pizza from Fazio's. That was the beginning of my
    lifelong love affair with anchovies

A&W- located near 5 Corners on the Westside-
    The very best chili dogs. Also, the best hot bolonga
    sandwiches

Blossom Dairy Varions locations
    great hot dogs served on a New England roll. the roll was
    grilled with butter on both sides. also, great shakes and
    malts.

The Sterling- Capitol Street

great steakhouse

Shoney's- 3 locations- South Charleston, Patrick Street, Kanawha City
    All had drive-ins and during the early and middle 1960's
    I was a teenager,we made the loop driving from one
    Shoney's to another- just like American Graffiti

Slim Jims,Big Boys, great onion rings,strawberry pie,hot
    fudge cake.

WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2006/06/11 12:37:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by corabeth

I lived just outside Charleston from 1953(age 6) to 1976. So, I'll weigh in with a few of my favorite Charleston roadfood memories:

Fazio's- Sometime in the middle 1950's I tasted my first pizza- an
    anchovy pizza from Fazio's. That was the beginning of my
    lifelong love affair with anchovies

A&W- located near 5 Corners on the Westside-
    The very best chili dogs. Also, the best hot bolonga
    sandwiches

Blossom Dairy Varions locations
    great hot dogs served on a New England roll. the roll was
    grilled with butter on both sides. also, great shakes and
    malts.

The Sterling- Capitol Street

great steakhouse

Shoney's- 3 locations- South Charleston, Patrick Street, Kanawha City
    All had drive-ins and during the early and middle 1960's
    I was a teenager,we made the loop driving from one
    Shoney's to another- just like American Graffiti

Slim Jims,Big Boys, great onion rings,strawberry pie,hot
    fudge cake.

Great stuff Cora! Yes, Now that you mention it, Fazio's probably made the best pie in Chas. at the time, but that wasn't saying much back then
    The Blossom is now an upscale restaurant. Still "The Blossom Dairy," but run by a fairly decent chef who also runs a restaurant down in Capital Market (the old RR freight yard).
    Shoney's has gone downhill BAD. You can't get a slim jim or a big boy anymore. The original drive-in over on the bldv by the bowling alley was razed a few years back along with the bowling alley.
    Yea, the A&W was another old fashioned drive-in that survived for many year but is now an Arby's.
    The Sterling is long gone and still missed. What great steaks. You used to be able to get some of their specialties like the French-blue cheese dressing, bull-in-a-pan, etc. at a place down in St. Albans (can't think of it's name), but it has recently closed. . . was run by a Sterling's son-in-law I think.
    If you made the rounds in a car on a weekend evening, you must have hung out at the Burger Boy up in Kanawha City or the drive-in down on McCorkle between SC and St. Albans (maybe it too was an A&W?).
    bn37086
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Stewarts Hot Dogs Sauce Recipe Huntington, WVa 2012/09/23 18:39:35 (permalink)
    There is still a Stewart's in Huntington.  It is on 5th Ave near Gino's Pub somewhere around 23rd Street.  There are other Stewart's in WV and Ohio.  These are root beer stands, primarily, and give the owners several hot dog sauce recipes to use, so they all will not be the same.  I had a friend, years ago, that had one of the franchises.  I live in Tennessee now but I go back to WV several times a year.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1