Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Stirfryking
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
2012/03/25 10:09:48 (permalink)

Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue)

Help! 3 days ago while idling, my 95' P30 run out of gas. I had to have friends push're back to park. She runs regular. It was late so I secured and went home. Next day I add 2 gas cans =5 gal's and tried, this time battery was completely dead. Mysteriously drained overnight. so I tried hotshot. Nothing. She cranks but no catch.Long story short, I bought new battery, tried starting fluid still nada! Now I'm worried,
check ed elect fuel pump (good), checkedFuel filter in line (canister) good, filter inside gas tank-good. Still crank no start.
Now I'm on fuel injct. carb. Gas run s in two lines free from obstruction, and STOPS at the point of INJECTION. SO CHECKED PLUGS, NO SPARK. So installed new ignition coil-still no spark/injection. Before I buy anything else unnecessarily, does anyone "speak fuel injection carb or P 30 mechanics"??
Am so frustrated, I was in the middle of installing new griddle.

31 Replies Related Threads

Blissful Bite
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/25 11:00:10 (permalink)
    I'm no expert here but it seems like some crud from the bottom of the tank may have entered the fuel system when you ran out of gas.  Not diesel, right?  Do you have spark but no injection or neither?  Maybe try another can of gas.  Sea foam additive in the oil and gas never hurts.  

Are you out of gas yourself?  That sounds like a lot of work in the past few days.  Don't forget to breathe and know it will be okay " />
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/25 12:39:42 (permalink)
    StirFry...did you get the paperwork issue resolved?

If you remained in a positive place with the previous owner...see if/what he did If/when this sort of thing happened when he had it.

That way you can either do what he did...or maybe fix what he effed up...without effin it up more...without knowing.
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/25 13:23:18 (permalink)
    Yes CC, ALL paperwork taken care of..You already know what he said when I called... played dumb.
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/25 17:18:36 (permalink)
    You know CCnj I started to "specifically" say that this wasn't an issue for you  b/c I know you don't do any heavy lifting:). I was hoping one of the gearheads would chime in. I'm was going out of town 2moro for 1 day. But I can't rest until this thing's fixed, I'll do the research and pick up where I left off 2moro instead. It's truly an electrical issue. You know what they say, time is $$.
    BLISSFUL- I considered the fuel filter thing. They're 2 filter's (tank/line) but gas-flow reaching from tank to carb UN-obstructed I assume. It's that Injector's aren't injecting PLUS I sprayed Quick START spray  directly into carb as well as gas; After injection phase and still Truck "Turns" but won't start.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/25 17:38:51 (permalink)
    You can't have a fuel injected system and a carburetor. You have one or the other, but not both.
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2094
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/25 19:24:33 (permalink)
    Go to an Auto parts store with the engine size & year and truck model.   Ask the tech about the engine sensors on your engine.   Find out if one of these failed if it would cause the engine to shut down and keep the engine from cranking.   ... I think this might be the 'crank position' sensor at the front of the engine which send signals to the engine computer.

I know because the one on my car failed while driving and the engine quit.   I thought I had ran out of gas at first, but I knew that I had 3/4 full tank.    The sensor should be about $20 (abt $100 at the dealer).

I'm not up to date on these sensors, so more info is needed on your engine.   The 'crank position' sensor send info the the computer for spark & injector firing.   If it is not working then no spark and no fuel injection.   ... I'm just guessing here, so ask the auto parts store.
    post edited by edwmax - 2012/03/25 19:33:32
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1996
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/25 20:01:24 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

You can't have a fuel injected system and a carburetor. You have one or the other, but not both.

You say fuel injected carb.......Is it a throttle body?
    Single-point or throttle body injection (TBI)
    The earliest and simplest type of fuel injection, single-point simply replaces the carburetor with one or two fuel-injector nozzles in the throttle body, which is the throat of the engine’s air intake manifold.

chefbuba
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/25 20:12:37 (permalink)
    Maybe do some reading here......

Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/25 22:17:52 (permalink)
    From the looks I would say this is definitely the one w/ two fuel-injector nozzles set over the throttle body. Has two sides/ (open/close)plates. 
    You guys are all in the same park. 1st Parts-store Tech said Crank Sensor ($61) 2nd Tech said possibly control module in distributor ($41). And as soon as I first learned, I ran out and bought the igniton coil ($39). ALL these theories contribute to the elusive spark.
    One tech from same chain store, different locale says to look for a "KILL SWITCH" i.e. fuse. Even to check the fuel line rail for a pressure valve stem that will tell if fuel is being forced fwd. (tried that but didn't see a valve anywhere on that line). Wish I did find it before I got a mouth full of regular grade trying to clear a filter.lol
    I knew I could count on y'all for insight. Going back 'in' in the a.m. w/ a much broader knowledge. 
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/25 22:24:06 (permalink)
    From the looks I would say this is definitely the one w/ two fuel-injector nozzles set over the throttle body. Has two sides/ (open/close)plates. 
    You guys are all in the same park. 1st Parts-store Tech said Crank Sensor ($61) 2nd Tech said possibly control module in distributor ($41). And as soon as I first learned, I ran out and bought the igniton coil ($39). ALL these theories contribute to the elusive spark.
    One tech from same chain store, different locale says to look for a "KILL SWITCH" i.e. fuse. Even to check the fuel line rail for a pressure valve stem that will tell if fuel is being forced fwd. (tried that but didn't see a valve anywhere on that line). Wish I did find it before I got a mouth full of regular grade trying to clear a filter.lol
    I knew I could count on y'all for insight. Going back 'in' in the a.m. w/ a much broader knowledge. 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10259
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/25 22:47:28 (permalink)
    Call the Chevy P30 dealer's Service Dept in your area, explain the problem and see what they say. They may help you.
    Or call these guys;
    http://www.automotix.net/partshotline-chevy-p30_van-mechanical-requests.html
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/03/25 22:51:57
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/25 23:21:28 (permalink)
    okay, first things first. take a plug out and lay it against the engine (gotta be on grounded metal) and have someone try and start the engine, turn engine. see if theres spark. if its no spark, forget the injectors as thats fuel.  it takes all three, fuel, fire (spark) and air.  gimme a call we'll figure this out over the phone.

706 322 four three seven nine.    mark
    edwmax
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/26 07:51:01 (permalink)
    You stated:
    • there is fuel flowing to the TB;
    • the injector is not emitting fuel;
    • there is no spark at the plugs. 
    • have replaced the ignition coll
    Then this has to be a problem with a sensor, distributor, control module (PCM) , or a fuse link.

If you have access to one of those gadgets that reads the engine codes, then this would help to find the problem and where to look.   ... But, I believe the Crank Position sensor can go bad without giving an engine code. This sensor can be tested while cranking with a volt meter.
    You've indicated the truck is in a parking lot ( not at your home base), I suggest getting it towed home so you can take time to trace out the problem and to keep the truck from being vandalized.

If you do not have the time to learn and trace out the problem, then tow the truck to a repair shop. Let them fix it.
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/26 09:45:48 (permalink)
    if no fuel and no spark edmax is correct on all counts, sensors. you can leave license at counter at any discount auto parts and get their obd2 plug in sensor. follow instructions after plugging in and turn key on. it will tell you exactly which sensor to swap out. get 2 and keep a spare in the truck. let us know whats you find.
    qwertydvorak
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/26 16:18:55 (permalink)
    I agree about the OBD II sensor reader.  It will easily tell you if it is a crank sensor or cam sensor or whatever it is.  Just had this same problem on my car.  A friend hooked up his tester and it told me crank sensor.  30 minutes of work later and I was up and running. 

All of the electronic crap is a blessing and curse.  It is nice that it can tell you what is wrong with itself, but without all of that extra crap to fail we wouldn't need to pull our hair out tracing trouble.  (but it does make for a nicer running more effecient motor when it is working)  ;)
    mofood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 117
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/26 16:57:28 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, 1995 was only mandated to be OBD I compliant. OBD I did not have a universal style plug for diagnostics.
    Many commercial vehicles much newer did not come with OBD II ports either. Definitely look for the diagnostic port. A good shop should be able to read almost anything with a ECU controlled fueling system.

If you have fuel pressure (should be about 30 psi at the throttle body iirc), and no spark (verified?), I would definitely check the crank position sensor as has been said. It should be pretty easy to check. You'll need the spec, but basically shoots a low voltage signal to the injection control unit or ECU. This motor has a distributor I assume? The signal is sent as a magnet attached to a crank driven gear, or cam passes the sensor (Think bicycle computer).

The fact that this problem started after running out of gas still makes me think it is a fuel related issue. Verify fuel pressure at the throttle body, not just fuel in line.

This is a Small Block Chevy with TBI, correct?

This also could be arising from something simple like a tripped fuel cutoff switch, or fuel pressure switch..

Anyway good luck, sorry if I've not added value..
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/26 20:34:03 (permalink)
    Okay guys don't get all misty eyed when I tell you this.. But y'all did it.. Seriously, I took EVERYONE's advice and dang if it didn't work. And I messed round & learned something by mistake. I Actually fixed it!
    I knew zilch when I started -this morn'n I went in, sleeves rolled up, my tools and this thread. I followed electrical from back (fuel pump) to ignition switch & in between!
    Problem was a faulty (rigged) toggle subbing for ignition switch. Too much to write here, but thanks so much especially:
    BISTRO, mo food, qwerty, e max and chefbuba& Drbbq .
    Next time y'all crack a"cold one" consider to be from me! I would say gd bye but I have a feeling, this is only the begining.
    edwmax
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/26 20:41:35 (permalink)
    mofood

The fact that this problem started after running out of gas still makes me think it is a fuel related issue. Verify fuel pressure at the throttle body, not just fuel in line.

I suspect Stirfry didn't actually run out of gas.   He just had a low fuel gage reading when a sensor failed.    ... If he did run out of gas then there should be a spark at the plugs and the engine should have momentarily cranked or fired from the gas & spray he poured into the TB.    ... I just don't think he ran out of gas & the sensor failed at the same time; what are the odds for that????
    edwmax
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/26 20:51:56 (permalink)
    Oh darn  .... that's a hard one to work out.   There was no battery power to the Alt and/or coil (depends on how these are wired) to excite them while cranking.   Thus no sensor signals to the PCM.

Now you know the first thing to check when this truck is not starting!!!!!
    post edited by edwmax - 2012/03/26 20:53:58
    PurpleCheetah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 151
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/26 21:29:39 (permalink)
    chefbuba

Dr of BBQ

You say fuel injected carb.......Is it a throttle body?
    Single-point or throttle body injection (TBI)
    The earliest and simplest type of fuel injection, single-point simply replaces the carburetor with one or two fuel-injector nozzles in the throttle body, which is the throat of the engine’s air intake manifold.

ChefB are you a mechanic? how do you know all this stuff

chefbuba
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/26 23:37:40 (permalink)
    A bunch of years driving p-30's in the movie biz.  Had my share of break downs at 4am.....or 100 miles from home after a 3000 mile trip, or in the middle of Death Valley in the summer.....I learned how to Macgyver a bunch of stuff!

Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/27 08:13:49 (permalink)
    group hug!! NOT,....

okay, off topic but, got a close up of grafix and logo on your truck chef? also did you install the hood yourself? i noticed the side vents, how well does it and fan pull the heat out? thx, m
    chefbuba
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/27 11:14:59 (permalink)
    That's not mine, it's a friends, just used to work these beasts, and for the company.
    Thats not a home built rig... your looking at around 200k sitting there.....
    I believe that truck was built at Armenco or could have been Wyss Catering
    The 12v fans exhausting horizontally do not work as well as the vertical extraction fan.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/27 13:58:38 (permalink)
    Good for you StirFry!!

I hope you install the griddle before it gets warm again. That should be tomorrow!
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/30 00:07:48 (permalink)
    Yeah CC, about the grill, I'm still space planning and the warranty states that a tech (plumber) must install and sign off in order for warranty to be honored. Not only that but I'd rather be safe than sorry. So meanwhile...
    I need to get my logo over to the sign shop. Goin with a funky dragon (chef) twirling a wok...with flame of course. I can't draw a lick but I can "describe" my assss off. A biz ain't a biz til you get your logo in lights right.
    Which brings me to my next conundrum...fcbook, twitter and website....whew! My hands are full and I'm doing it all solo.
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/30 00:15:37 (permalink)
    Yeah chefbuba you are seriously well traveled. I can see $200k in that behemoth now that I know what I'm looking at. How many years did you say you've been doin this? Do you have your own rig now? Whats it called? can I see it online?
    chefbuba
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/30 01:19:48 (permalink)
    I did movies for 6-7 years... I have a trailer now, had it built in '09........nice and simple, nothing like one of those trucks.
    Just burgers, cheese steaks, pastrami, hand cut fries & beer battered onion rings.
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/03/30 18:10:53 (permalink)
    Chefbuba I almost thought you were pulling my leg with that trailer. Man that kitchen is better than some (most) brick/mortar I've worked in! Certainly shinier. So hows that working out for you today? Met or exceededyour goals? I'm starting out and already my heads spinning. That ansul system of yours is PRO. Wrk my good need to meet that standard or will fire exting's due? I know check with hd.
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:Stir Fry truck Stranded (mechanical issue) 2012/04/03 00:35:18 (permalink)
    Don't know if anybody's still fllwing this thread. But if so, OOPs I did i again! Not actually me but once again the old girl is in dry dock. Problem this time is easier to describe.
    She ran fine until I set out 1 morning and started up a hill...Then it was high rev. and truck jerks along at 10mph
    Starts up with toggle switch acting as ignition/ push to start.
    After running for a second, she losses power and shuts off.....Reapeatedly. I taled t muffler shop tech. He said may be cat. converter.
    Buddy of mine (knows cars) said (w/o looking) Is an elevtrical issue with ACM? And I  MUST lose that toggle switch, is causing all problems.
    Kinda frustrated tonight.. no jokes. Hope someone see's this........
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1