Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 121
wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7384
  • Reward points : 0
Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Thu, 05/2/13 7:34 PM
Before I begin.....
This is my first real trip report in 8 months....First of all I want to thank all of you who have sent me PM's insisting I carry on....I know most of the time I think my trip reports go ignored and I appreciate your compliments and encouragement....You all know who you are.....

I always had a love/hate relationship with Seattle. Some of you know I lived in Seattle beginning in 1992, through early 1996......Seattle was a very tough time in my life. I would even venture to say.... traumatic.....Although I think it's a wonderful place to visit, I couldn't have been any happier when I left... Although this was my third visit back, having visited in 1998 and again in 2007, this was the first time I took a very introspective position with my visit.....

Since I lived there before the internet, I couldn't do the real hard research I could have done before moving there.....  I didn't know what the "Seattle Freeze" was ,when I looked it up years later...all  could say is, "wow, did  I experience that when I lived there".... As a single guy, I also had my suspicions about the very skewered male/female ratio, once again years later I discovered with a 60/40 ratio of guys to girls in my age group at that time in the early 1990's I realized  that I surmised correctly.

Anyway...on with the food.....This was an extended weekend trip, and I'm going to break it up by day....

Thursday April 25

I began my day early before 6am to ensure that I got out of work early enough to catch my 5pm flight out of Providence...... since my flight arrived about 10 minutes late in Chicago, with what is now merely a 35 minute layover, I had no time to catch a bite to eat before changing planes...I arrived in Seattle at around 9:30 pm, it was after midnight eastern time and without any dinner, I was starving...By the time I got my rental it was after 10pm, thankfully my first (and only stop) of the evening was less than 2 miles away....

13 Coins in Sea Tac.  Although original location is in Seattle, I was way too tired to head out there....Going to the one near the airport made perfect sense... Even though I spent over 3 years living in Seattle I never made it to 13 Coins... If I recall my coworkers kept telling me "that's where all the strange characters go"
Anyway....13 Coins had a very old school, clubby lounge like atmosphere with high backed chairs......

My meal begain with complimentary antipasto 

and crusty sourdough

(which I already ripped a hunk off of prior to taking this photo)

Since I'm back in the territory, I can never pass up an opportunity to enjoy a fine brew...

This is a Manny's Pale Ale....A little hoppier than most pale ales....All it took was one quaff...and it was a symbolic "welcome back to the Pacific Northwest.

With a little help after texting Buffetbuster earlier in the evening...I knew what I was getting...

This magnificent Crab Louis.....loaded with romaine, tomato, egg, artichoke, creamy Louis dressing and a generous helping of  fresh dungeness crab.... I was actually to full to finish it....Although I made sure I ate every last bite of dungeness crab.....

After my meal it was now almost 2 AM eastern time.... Although I would be staying with my friend Alan, the rest of the trip in Seattle, I deliberately stayed at a hotel that night just to get some sleep....After a 20 minute drive to my hotel in Bellevue.... I was completely exhausted and was looking forward to a sound sleep....

I will continue early next week with the next chapter.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Thu, 05/2/13 7:49 PM
First of all, your trip reports are never ignored, and are always enjoyed. Second, thanks for the visit to the 13 Coins at SeaTac. I love that place, especially the high-backed "stools" overlooking the line.

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4463
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Thu, 05/2/13 8:34 PM
wanderingjew, Funny, you say 13 Coins is where all the strange characters go, then, Michael Hoffman says how much he loves the place........just sayin

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to follow Michael's recommendation for 13 Coins on my visit.

Carry on Buddy!

Michael Hoffman
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Thu, 05/2/13 8:49 PM
Now, just a darned minute .... !

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Thu, 05/2/13 9:09 PM
That Crab Louis looks so good! Can't wait for more!

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4482
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Thu, 05/2/13 9:19 PM
so where in this trip did you get the PM from me that had the link to the best pizza parlors in Seattle?

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Thu, 05/2/13 10:25 PM
Looks good, WJ!  Not being familiar with Crab Louis could you describe the dressing?  Like a ranch, Thousand Island, etc...?

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9545
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Thu, 05/2/13 10:52 PM
First of all, where did you get the crazy notion that your reports are ignored and under-appreciated???
Nothing could be further from the truth as far as I'm concerned and I know most of us feel that way!
Keep clickin' and tappin' that keyboard!

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6080
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Fri, 05/3/13 12:04 AM
Great 1st chapter. Can't wait for next installment.

morningglory
  • Total Posts : 559
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Fri, 05/3/13 4:56 AM
I thoroughly enjoy all your trip reports. The food in your first segment looks absolutely delicious. Hope you enjoy the rest of you trip & I look forward to your updates! You are appreciated!
Mg

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9776
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Fri, 05/3/13 7:46 AM
You are off to a great start WJ!  When we dined at 13 Coins it was Thanksgiving Day, so it was turkey and all the fixins for us.  But, we sat at the counter, right in front of where all the Crab Louis were being prepared and they looked so good.  Since then, I have been wondering what we missed out on and know I have my answer.  Next time for sure!

Looking forward to much more!

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4715
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Fri, 05/3/13 8:09 AM
TJ Jackson

so where in this trip did you get the PM from me that had the link to the best pizza parlors in Seattle?
Given his past rhapsodies on the glory of Seattle pizza I'm pretty sure he doesn't need your help.

WJ, what's on 13 Coins' antipasto plate?  I see salami, tomatoes, and olives...is there maybe a mushroom (pickled?) hiding there as well?  If the menu features a larger version I'd be hard-pressed to pass it up.

wanderingjew
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Fri, 05/3/13 8:23 AM
Thanks all.....My confidence has been fully restored!

TJ

I thought it was quite ironic that you sent me that list- I was at the airport in Providence ready to begin my trip- when I saw it

billyboy

I would compare Louis dressing to a creamier richer but less garlicky Ceaser dressing..

Screaming Brad

No mushroom, but you are correct with the rest (and celery too)

mr chips
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Fri, 05/3/13 8:33 AM
Wished I could have met u friend.I was quite sick for a week with a nasty cold. Great report on 13 Coins.I love the hash brown and breakafast there and the Seatac location makes it convenient. Glad  u enjoyed the place.

TJ Jackson
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Fri, 05/3/13 9:32 AM
ScreamingChicken

TJ Jackson

Given his past rhapsodies on the glory of Seattle pizza I'm pretty sure he doesn't need your help.
Welll aware of his feelings towards Seattle pizza, and thats EXACTLY why I sent it :-)

I had no idea however that at that very moment he was on his way there :-)
<message edited by TJ Jackson on Fri, 05/3/13 2:22 PM>

Ralph Melton
  • Total Posts : 782
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Fri, 05/3/13 10:52 AM
I do appreciate your trip reports.

I have a soft spot for 13 Coins. It's a great example of a distinctive local place that isn't in the common diner mold. And the Crab Louis I had there was excellent.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3557
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Fri, 05/3/13 11:27 AM
It's always good to see a new report from you, Dale. I enjoyed Seattle the one time I was there, so I'm looking forward to seeing if I hit any spots you keep.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Fri, 05/3/13 1:28 PM
WJ is right about folks ignoring his travels.  I think I missed one three or four years ago. 

Seriously I always enjoy Dale's travels and I only wish I could have been with him.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 939
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Fri, 05/3/13 3:18 PM
I don't ever recall seeing mushrooms of any kind on 13 Coins' antipasto plate, maybe pickles. Definitely a hit as an appetizer, the bread is really good too.

mikeam
  • Total Posts : 192
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Fri, 05/3/13 3:47 PM
I love your reports and look forward to this one.

Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 331
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Sat, 05/4/13 9:19 AM
I am looking forward to the rest of this report, WJ. It may well be the closest I get to Seattle for some time.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6220
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Sat, 05/4/13 2:40 PM
Thank you for a trip report.  A lot of us missed you!! 

wanderingjew
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Mon, 05/6/13 1:37 PM
Thanks again everyone. I almost thought I was going to have to delay the rest of the report- I had some computer issues (my fault) and hadn't uploaded all of my photos to flickr yet- after spending over an hour on the phone with dell tech support (glad I still had my warrantee)  those issues have been resolved -
-
Mr Chips

I was wondering why I hadn't heard from you- hope you're better now.
-
I hope to continue with the report this evening...

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Tue, 05/7/13 6:37 AM
Dale-you KNOW I live for your reports!I have been honored to have eaten with you 3 times now, and appreciate your opinions on the food we have shared.Carry on, my friend!

wanderingjew
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Tue, 05/7/13 8:22 PM
Friday April 26

Waking up to a sunny day in Seattle is a rare and special occasion.I had the morning to my self since Alan who took the day off had some business to attend to that morning. So I decided to hang out on the Eastside...I was curious about my "go to" breakfast joint when I lived there. Imagine to my surprise when I discovered that they were still in business.

The Kirkland Brown Bag

Located in the Totem Lake neighborhood of Kirkland, about a mile from where I lived.  Famous for their generous portions (no sissy food here) and cinnamon roll french toast, The Brown Bag was always busy on weekends.  Unfortunately their sister restaurant in neaby Redmond is out of business. When I walked in, probably the first time since 1995, it still looked exactly the same...and surprisingly had a nice sized  breakfast crowd for a weekday morning.

Knowing how huge their portions are, I ordered off the lighter fare menu. Beginning with what was my favorite, a half order of the Banana Pecan Pancakes served with warm syrup and some protein of course- a half portion of eggs and bacon.

Believe it or not this fluffy pancake is served on a dinner sized plate. A regular portion holds two and they
even offer the option of ordering THREE pancakes...Looking around the restaurant it is obvious that they have not become stingy with the portions..

After breakfast I headed to downtown Kirkland for some Gen-U-Wine Seattle Java.. My research led me to

St James Espresso

A little leary when they told me that they have a medium roast brewing, one sip and my coffee answered back with big resounding "Welcome to Seattle"....I forgot how tantalizing a lighter roast could be...Aftewards I headed to Tully's a regional coffee chain out of Seattle, their dark roast was not nearly as good as St James Espreso. While walking around I counted 4 independent coffee houses, downtown and that did not include Starbucks or Tullys.After coffee I took a stroll around my old neighborhood,
reminiscing introspectively...

I passed my old watering hole, the Kirkland Roaster and Alehouse which is now the Wild Rover Irish Pub(next door was the Hales Ale Brewery

Alan called and he just returned home from his meeting. I headed across the I-90 bridge to Seattle since the 520 bridge now has an automated toll that my rental car company wanted to charge me $10 a day for- no way! Arriving at Alan's Condo in the Wallingford neighborhood- We walked over to Fremont passing  the troll that lives under the Fremont Bridge

..Yes that's a real volkswagen that he has grasped in his left hand...Our first stop was a place that I last visited in 2007

Theo's Chocolate Factory

housed in the former Red Hook Brewery (now in suburban Woodinville) and Trollyman's Pub. Both a chocolate factory and shop, they offer creative chocolates and even a tour of the factory as well as samples of their product...Unfortunately they were not conducting a tour when we arrived...I did not get any photos of the chocolate but I will return before I leave on Monday...

There were many fairs and festivals when I lived in Seattle, Folklife, Bumbershoot, Bite of Seattle, Seafair etc...One thing they all had in common was this amazingly delicious salmon sandwich. Over the years I forgot who the vendor was, well with a click of the internet...there it is....

Ballard Brothers Seafood and Burgers

....Located in the old Scandinavian enclave of Ballard This motif even pays homage to the Scand-i-hoovian influence.

Their menu  obviously mostly seafood ..

I ordered the Blackened Cajun Salmon Sandwich which comes with grilled onions, cajun sauce and tartar sauce....

This monstrious mess, was just as amazingly delicious as I remembered...Cooked fresh to order it's obvious that there are some Scandinavian fisherman nearby who nabbed this fresh slab of salmon .Fries came on the side, of course dipped in tartar as a local would...Alan ordered the clam strips....

After lunch we returned to and walked around the Wallingford neighborhood. It's always exhilarating to navigate those hills- something we don't have here in Rhode Island...Since the Ballpark, Safeco Field is only 5 miles away, we decided to take the bus downtown since the buses run late.....Here's a photo of Alan as we're waiting for the bus...

We decided to get off downtown, it was 15 minute walk to our dinner stop.

The Phnom Penh Noodle House

in the international district....

We shared a duck appetizer called "Tiah Pa Lau"  served with pickled veggies and ginger soy.

I ordered the tender duck noodle soup, and this duck was quite tender- the broth had a cilantro-garlic base, and bean sprouts came on the side to add at will.... Hot Chili Sauce and Satay were the condiments that were offered on the side, but this soup didn't need any...It was pure southeast asian comfort food... 

After dinner we walked to Safeco field..It was beautiful evening, even though it was nearly 70 degrees during the day, I was glad I brought my jacket...I forgot how picturesque Safeco Field was......with the Seattle Skyline at bay....we did have upper level seating but better to enjoy the view if the game gets boring...

As you can see, the stadium has a retractable roof for those rainy days, but it still feels like an outdoor stadium (unlike Miller Park in Milwaukee)The Mariners hosted the LA Angels....and without any offense , the Angels walked all over the Mariners with a score of 6-3....

After the game we took the bus back to Alan's place , I got to plop my 6'2" frame into a love seat in the living room (yes - no couch!) and called it a night....

More to come....later this week...
<message edited by wanderingjew on Wed, 05/8/13 8:12 AM>

Michael Hoffman
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Tue, 05/7/13 8:30 PM
Great! Keep it going. (Naturally, you just had to slip in a ballpark visit.)

ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2625
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Tue, 05/7/13 8:32 PM
The salmon sandwich looked really good...would have been one of my choices also.

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7596
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Tue, 05/7/13 9:20 PM
I usually wait until the end of your reports to comment but the Vietnamese food brought me out.

Dale, I always love your reports.  You bring so much to them besides just Road Food.  Always very interesting and when you're done with one I anxiously await the next.

I learn a lot from your reports.  I will now never order tender duck noodle soup!   

Keep 'em coming!

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Tue, 05/7/13 10:53 PM
Very nice report.  Believe it or not, though, the thing that stuck out most to me was the lovely brickwork on the Theo Chocolate Company building.

And the salmon burger looked nice too...

Buddy

mr chips
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Tue, 05/7/13 11:13 PM
That looks like Cambodian food to me.

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Wed, 05/8/13 2:14 AM
Yup.  Restaurant's name is "Phnom Penh Noodle Soup House".  Phnom Penh is the capital of Cambodia.  Must be Cambodian food.

Buddy

buffetbuster
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Wed, 05/8/13 7:48 AM
WJ-
That salmon sandwich looks amazing!  If I lived in Seattle, that would be lunch three or four days a week.  So, you slept on a love seat?  Aye aye aye, that would kill me. 

ChiTownDiner
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Wed, 05/8/13 8:18 AM
buffetbuster

WJ-
That salmon sandwich looks amazing!  If I lived in Seattle, that would be lunch three or four days a week.  So, you slept on a love seat?  Aye aye aye, that would kill me. 

Yep...you and WJ on a love seat sleeping together would kill a lot of us! 

wanderingjew
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Wed, 05/8/13 8:21 AM
MH

A spring or summer trip without a ballgame???? Now that's "Un American"

Mar

Thanks!
Oh no - Cilantro!

Buddy

Salmon Sandwich- not a Salmon Burger- I think of ground up salmon if its a burger
You are correct about the building that Theo's is loctaed in. Its in the Fremont Section of Seattle and used to House the Red Hook Brewerey which has since gone national. They used to have a little pub which would offer live music on weekends when I lived out there-
I regret not getting photos of the chocolate which I ended up getting the Monday I left to bring home for Sandra- if there are still any left this weekend I may snap a photo when I see her ..

Mr Chips

You win the prize, I guess I should have specified what kind of restaurant it was.
I though the name of the place was the giveaway.

buffetbuster

At least it didn't have high arm rests!
CTD

<message edited by wanderingjew on Wed, 05/8/13 8:22 AM>

mr chips
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Wed, 05/8/13 8:25 AM
A very good Cambodian place has opened up in my neighborhood and Trudy and i are very fond of it.  It's called the Mkong Bistro.
<message edited by mr chips on Thu, 05/9/13 12:07 AM>

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Wed, 05/8/13 8:35 AM
That duck appetizer and the soup! Loving this report!

HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1065
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Wed, 05/8/13 12:03 PM
Thanks agazin for the great photos and report.Loved the photos of the duck soup and appetizer.Don't know of anyone around here that has them.

mar52
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Wed, 05/8/13 12:44 PM
Cambodian!  I sit corrected.

I should have looked at the name and not the soup.

Dale... good memory. 

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Wed, 05/8/13 7:39 PM
WJ I dont know your reports are always the same BLAH BLAH BLAH THIS BLAH BLAH BEER THAT, BLAH BLAH BASEBALL Over there...

Come on and get to the meat of the report. Tell us about those Seattle Pizza Places!!!

You know I am just kidding you.  I love to live vicariously through your trip reports.  I do miss travelling and the adventures that it can bring about.

I can not imagine you on a love seat with BB, that haunting image would ruin my lunch or dinner. 

Keep up the great work and definately keep up the posting!

wanderingjew
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Wed, 05/8/13 9:49 PM
Going to a Cambodian Restaurant was a real treat. We have restaurants here in Rhode Island that offer Pan Asian Cuisine- it's just not the same, and in fact   find it borderline  insulting no one here in RI understands why but on the other hand..... as my Portuguese co-worker from my last company noted ....gasp....a Portuguese/Spanish restaurant "now that's insulting!"  ...as I described Mallorca, one of my favorite restaurants when I lived in Pittsburgh

CK- that is funny- now I'm going to have nightmares! 

SeamusD
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Thu, 05/9/13 3:34 PM
I lived in Totem Lake, and I never ate the Brown Bag, we'd always hit Shari's next door after our excursions downtown on the weekends. Not sure why I never went there.
My office in Kirkland was a few doors down from the Roaster, and it was one of my favorite places to go also. Spent many a happy hour in there.
Is Taco Del Mar still across the street? From the angle of your camera shot, you would have been standing in front of it. I ate there so much, I could wave out my office window and the girl at the counter would have my burrito waiting for me.

wanderingjew
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Thu, 05/9/13 4:50 PM
SeamusD

I lived off of Slater on 120th Street in a condo development...
I used to love the Roaster- I believe they went out of business about 10 years ago.
My other "real" local hangout was the Lucky 7 Saloon- I think they're still in business.

The Brown Bag just blows Shari's away- there is no comparison...although The Brown Bag only serves breakfast and lunch, closing at 3pm

I do believe Taco Del Mar is still there- I do remember a Taco Place...and I think it was actually there when I was living there back in the early-mid 1990's as well..

mar52
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Thu, 05/9/13 7:18 PM
Taco Del Mar

What a great name!

will_work_4_bbq
  • Total Posts : 399
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Thu, 05/9/13 8:58 PM
I, too, live vicariously through your reports!  More!  More!  Loving it so far!

ChiTownDiner
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Fri, 05/10/13 8:00 AM
I wish I could eat like you WJ! 

SeamusD
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Fri, 05/10/13 11:17 AM
wanderingjew

SeamusD

I lived off of Slater on 120th Street in a condo development...
I used to love the Roaster- I believe they went out of business about 10 years ago.
My other "real" local hangout was the Lucky 7 Saloon- I think they're still in business.

The Brown Bag just blows Shari's away- there is no comparison...although The Brown Bag only serves breakfast and lunch, closing at 3pm

I do believe Taco Del Mar is still there- I do remember a Taco Place...and I think it was actually there when I was living there back in the early-mid 1990's as well..

I lived directly across the street from Evergreen Hospital, fairly close to Brown Bag, and my office was right on Central Way on the corner block in front of the park, right on the lake. I really miss working there. So many good places to eat within walking distance. Jalisco was another place we'd go to a lot.

The closing time explains why I never went to The Brown Bag!

SeamusD
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Fri, 05/10/13 11:18 AM
mar52

Taco Del Mar

What a great name!

Their fish tacos were supposedly top notch, never tried them though... I was addicted to their pork burritos.

wanderingjew
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Sun, 05/12/13 7:57 PM
Saturday, April 27

As it turns out, sleeping on a loveseat wasn't the worst thing in the world....although I'll admit, it wasn't exactly the most restful sleep...Alan gad some sought of meeting running till the mid afternoon- so I was on my own for a good part of the day..And as it turns out today will be my most "inspired" Roadfood day of the trip, if you know what I mean.What  a better way to start the morning than to head to one of my favorite breakfast spots in the country...

The Maltby Cafe

Out in what still seems to be the middle of no-where about a half hour north east of Seattle, housed in what is a former school house.  

I knew about the Maltby Cafe way way way, before it appeared in the Stern's Roadfood Books and Website...Arriving just after 8am I dodged what appeared to the start of the typical weekend line and went straight towards the counter. Although there are some pretty tasting sounding omelets on the menu, I asked if they could prepare an old menu item that I used to enjoy when I used to go back way, way back in the 1990's. Although I don't remember the name of the omelet, it had real roast turkey, tilamook cheddar, jarlsberg and tomato and it was topped with sour cream...

Here's a closeup of that omelet

I opted for fresh fruit in lieu of fried red potatoes and for a little extra, skipped the toast  and went with their  warm fresh made to order blueberry scone...with homemade preserves and marmalade

Yes, this scone is perched on top of a dinner plate.. 
Although they "proudly" serve Starbucks coffee, it's better than the tinted water that most breakfast joints serve in the rest of the country.......The Maltby Cafe continues to exceed my expectations and I left a very full and happy guy...Returning to Kirkland, I had more coffee on my brain... This time..

Cafe Zoka....a local Seattle Chain.. I'm deliighted to see That Cafe Zoka, along with other coffee houses in the Seattle area provide the choice of third wave pourover or traditional drip...Althoughy they were brewing what was described as a light to medium roast....It had a very minimalistic, reedy flavor...which sastisfied my taste buds.. As I sat down and people watched, I observed most folks over 40 (like myself) were ordering tradional drip, while those under 40 were wasting their money on  ordering pourover..

After enjoying my large cup, I continued to explore downtown Kirkland and came across yet another coffee house, Cafe Roccoco....I couldn't resist temptation and decided to get a small cup... First I loved the atmosphere of the place but unfortunately couldn't stay... I did get a darker roast- a Sumatran and it had a rich dark complex flavor......

After coffee, I headed east on I90 to Snoqualmie Falls.

For those who remember the old TV mini series "Twin Peaks" you'll recognize the falls....Next to the falls is the very exclusive Salish Lodge...As I arrived at thefalls it began to rain, moreso than your typical Seattle sprinkle and drizzle....I later found out that during unsettled weather, there is some type of inversion near the Cascade foothills that causes it to rain, when at the same time there may not be any rain in Seattle or it's suburbs...Unfortunately the trails were closed but considering the rain, that was probably a good thing.

After enjoying the view, I headed into downtown Snoqualmie which offers a ride on this old fashioned train...

What caught my attention was this little bar/cafe across the street,  called Bindlesticks....offering coffee, sandwiches, baked goods and....what's this? local brew on tap!I sat down and enjoyed a 7 Seas Amber.....brewed over in Gig Harbor near Tacoma...

Afterwards I returned to an old favorite in the Juanita Section of Kirkland...

Spud Fish and Chips

Now listed on the website and in the Roadfood book after giving the heads up to the Sterns...Spud is located across the street from Juanita Beach on lake Washington..Probably one of my favorite fish and chip joints when I lived in Seattle, it did have several locations. The original location on Alki Beach has since been bought by Ivar's, however this location is still originally owned....

I decided to get the Halibut and Chips. Since I had a big breakfast, I only ordered one filet....Of course for a few pennies extra, the home made tartar sauce is a must....

Vinegar with or without garlic chips are complimentary on each table.

Clean Tasting Halibut, Fresh Cut Fries also dipped in tartar is one of the many pleasures enjoyed in the Pacific NW...After lunch I headed back to Seattle, ironically just as I was leaving Alan called and he was home from his meeting..When I arrived back in Seattle, I continued on with exhuberant inspiration and as Alan and I walked around his neighborhood (which eventually led us down to Lake Union) I decided  to take Alan to a bakery right in his neighborhood that he's never been to. 

Irwin's Bakery...

More cafe than bakery...when I did my research....all points led me here...Passing the very tempting apple cake with cream cheese frosting..

I came here for one thing and one thing only....

This incredible slice of Marionberry pie with butter crust....Alan decided to get warm cherry pie, a'la mode..I wanted mine naked...And I'm glad I did ...full of very berry goodness...this l slice of pie will end up on a top 10 list at the end of the year...

On the way back to Alan's condo, I just had to snap a photo of this wall mural

As we headed towards evening, Alan and I took the 1/2 hour drive north to Mukilteo. I had such a memorable experience with 

Ivar's Mukilteo Landing

on my last visit that I knew I just had to return....with a great view of Puget sound

You can see the Ferry which takes you to Whidbey Island...

but that's a story for Chapter 4...I'm glad we made reservations before hand, because it was busy....

I began my meal with a Mac n Jack African Amber....A citrusy refreshing ale from Redmond- the home of microsoft.

Crusty hard sourdough rolls arrived next.

We started with a mussels and clam steamer appetizer as well as a seared ahi tuna appetizer...both did not dissapoint...Although Halibut (served in many which ways) was the theme fish on the fresh sheet, I knew what I wanted...

My main course- Probaby one of the biggest highlights of the trip. Cedar Planked Wild Sockeye Salmon served with balsamic blackberry, corn pudding and asparagus.....I am so glad that I had the opportunity to return on this trip- it was just as good as I remembered, Returning to Alan's place, we thought about walking into Fremont to catch a Reggae band at a local bar, but opted to watch Sherlock Holmes Hounds of the Baskervilles on the boob tube instead..Afterwards it was back on the loveseat for me!

More to come....later this week....
<message edited by wanderingjew on Sun, 05/12/13 8:03 PM>

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Sun, 05/12/13 8:12 PM
WJ: Ivars and Whibey Island are some of my favorites in Washington.  I have spent many trips all over Washington from extreme east to extreme west.  I cannot claim a favorite anywhere in the state.  Great seafood, fruit, scenery and great drives.  One of my favorite states.

I have only done Ivars in Seattle down on the water but it was super.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

will_work_4_bbq
  • Total Posts : 399
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Sun, 05/12/13 8:46 PM
You are so right - what a day!  And that PIE!!!  And that salmon!!!  And the scenery!

TJ Jackson
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Sun, 05/12/13 9:05 PM
where's the pizza?

ChiTownDiner
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Sun, 05/12/13 9:23 PM
The pie looks good! Which flavor was better?

wanderingjew
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Mon, 05/13/13 7:43 AM
Paul

I'll never forget my first experience with Ivar's on the pier in Seattle way, way back in the late 1980's when I had visited Seattle for the first time- this was the outdoor "fish bar" not the full blown restaurant. As soon as a I sat down, a seagull  swooped down and took several french fry's from my tray..

TJ
You'll have to wait until the next chapter

CTD
 I didn't try the cherry pie- Alan did try some of the marionberry pie- he thought that both were "tart" and enjoyed both equally.

buffetbuster
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Mon, 05/13/13 8:52 AM
That's a great looking slice of marionberry pie there WJ!  That photo from Spud's threw me off at first.  It looks like a crab, with the fries as the legs.

ScreamingChicken
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Mon, 05/13/13 9:42 AM
No pie for me, but I will take several plates of those mussels!  I like that it included several varieties; anytime I've ordered mussels they've been just the black ones.

kaszeta
  • Total Posts : 658
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Mon, 05/13/13 10:50 AM
Glad you made it to Spud Fish and Chips.  In the '90s I would regularly visit a friend in Kirkland, and a late night visit to Spud was always part of the fun.

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Mon, 05/13/13 4:12 PM
Dale

Another great entry on your trip.  That pie did look awesome even if naked.  You always seem to find some wonderful scenic and historic places to visit.  Thanks for sharing.

mar52
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Mon, 05/13/13 5:15 PM
WJ, I peaked in and must respond as you're reporting about some of my favorite areas.

Love the pictures of the falls and train station.  What kind of coating is that on the hallibut?  I'm used to a beer batter (in Astoria) and yours looks interesting.

Love that others are doing balsamic blackberry as a topping.  I put mine over rack of lamb.

You reminded me of a time I ordered mussels when staying on Vashon Island.  I was seated outside and the yellow jackets swarmed them as I was just beginning to eat.

love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1271
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Mon, 05/13/13 5:50 PM
Yes--I had the same visual trip as BB:  the fish and chips looked just like a crab!

This is quite a report and looks like a great time.  The marionberry pie looks killer--so glad to hear it was as fabulous as it looked!  I'd have gotten the apple cake to go for later. 

Nice that you got to a baseball game!!
<message edited by love2bake on Mon, 05/13/13 5:55 PM>

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle - Mon, 05/13/13 7:13 PM
WJ I sure wish I could find the enjoyment in coffee that you do. I love the stuff but most of it tastes like "hot brown water" to me. I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll leave it at that.

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 121