Stoney's In Southern MD

Author
Boomer247
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 86
2007/07/11 19:20:56 (permalink)

Stoney's In Southern MD

Was wondering if anyone on Roadfood had the crabcakes at one of the 3 Stoney's seafood restaurants in Southern MD: Prince Frederick, Broomes Island, or Solomons Island.

What did you give the crabcakes 0-10

Thanks Boomer

7 Replies Related Threads

douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Stoney's In Southern MD 2007/07/12 07:55:31 (permalink)
    I've never been there (live too far away), but my brother and sister in law rave about them. They go down from NOVA several times a year. They would definately give Stoney's a 10.

These crabcakes are very large, at least 3/4 lb. of lump meat.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Stoney's In Southern MD 2007/07/12 09:24:50 (permalink)
    We've been to the Brooms Island one several times and love it. They have the best crab cakes we've ever had. I'd say at least a 9/10. Some of the outdoor seating is a floating dock which is where we always sit.

What I previously posted:

We were at Solomons Island for Trawler Fest last weekend and stopped at Stoney's in Broome Island for what we heard was one of the best crab cake sandwiches. Sitting on a rickety floating dock/deck on the water sipping beer as the sun set over the Patuxent, our sandwiches made quite an entrance. Served on a kaiser roll, they are perfect spheres about the size of a baseball. Claimed to be 1/2 pound. Fried to perfection, packed with backfin and no discernable filler, they were outstanding. A little homemade tartar and squish it with the top of the roll. There are two more, one in Solomons (oh no, it's a chain!) but we heard this, the original had the best crab cakes. Tiny fishing village off the road, you'd never stumble across it. From the land of pleasant living.
    Boomer247
    Hamburger
    RE: Stoney's In Southern MD 2007/07/12 18:49:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for your responses, they are appreciated. I have been going down there for several years and never pass Broomes Island without stopping. A while back there used to be a crabmeat processing plant
    right alongside Stoney's talk about Fresh crabmeat you can't get it any fresher. What is that Trawler Fest at Solomons about I don't think I ever heard about it.
    The first time I took a picture of the crabcake to take home, I kiddingly put a cracker on the bottom and the top like a sandwich to show how big it really was.

Thanks Boomer
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Stoney's In Southern MD 2007/07/13 08:35:19 (permalink)
    Trawler Fest is held for three days at different places around the country. It is a combination boat show, exhibit, boat owner gathering and seminars focusing on trawler yachts. We're still about four years away from getting a Nordhavn 40 to liveaboard full time but, have been going for research and learning purposes for a few years. We also go to the Annapolis powerboat show every year after which we go to Cantler's for crabs. One of these days we'll go to the Mystic trawler fest which includes a pass to the museum grounds. Take a look at www.passagemaker.com
    Boomer247
    Hamburger
    RE: Stoney's In Southern MD 2007/07/13 09:51:26 (permalink)
    Thank-You for the info Mike it is greatly appreciated.
    I go to McGarvey's when I am in Annopolis.

BOOMER
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Stoney's In Southern MD 2007/07/13 16:29:40 (permalink)
    I've been to the Stoney's in Broomes Island, MD on a number of occasions and it's one of my favorite seafood houses. The crab cakes are excellent; I'd give them an 8.5 - 9 out of 10. Their other seafood dishes are very good, as well. If you click on the "search" function at the top of the page and enter "Stoney's" as a key word, you'll get a lot of feedback about the place from various posters. This segment, from one of my earlier posts, pretty well sums up how I feel about the place.

Every summer, my wife and I take a weekday off and make the trip from Washington, DC to Stoney's in Broomes Island, MD for lunch. We sit outside by the water and have their excellent crab cakes, jumbo hard shell crabs, mushrooms stuffed with crab meat, a couple of brews, and the very good key lime pie for dessert. We then drive about 15 miles north to Breezy Point State Park, a beach situated on the Chesapeake Bay, to lie about for the rest of the afternoon, reading, listening to music and looking out over the water. Then, on the way back to DC, we'll usually stop at a roadside produce stand and buy some locally grown corn and tomatoes to take home. If there's a better way to spend a summer day, I haven't found it yet!

We'll be going again next month!
    Boomer247
    Hamburger
    RE: Stoney's In Southern MD 2007/07/13 17:07:06 (permalink)
    Thanks rbpalmer for your reply, you have to forgive me till I get used to the site I just joined and didn't know about the search.
    It is very calming sitting on the dock eating crabcakes while people with boats dock and undock I could sit there all day and drink some brews and watch it.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1