Store Bought Pizza

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
sweetgherkin
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2004/06/28 01:47:38 (permalink)
I like Amy's Pizza too, and AC Larocco but they can be a bit hard to find... aclarocco.com If you can find them, try them.

I prefer veggie pizzas and those aren't too easily found in the freezer at the grocery store. I might buy a DiGiorno's cheese and add pineapple/green peppers/onions.

But I'm not a vegetarian, and I like the Red Baron Mexican pizza, sort-of spicy sausage and tomatoes/olives, etc on a crispy cornmeal based crust... I think they even have added little bits of tortilla chips? And Jeno's Supreme is a yummy greasy little almost-pizza snack.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2004/06/28 04:59:03 (permalink)
The DiGiorno Deep Dish pepperoni pizza is surprisingly good, but it's not a quickie meal. 55 minutes cook time.
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2005/03/24 08:34:17 (permalink)
I agree with the one who said the Kroger's pizzas do good in a pinch. They're in the deli section. I usually get the large cheese pizza and spice it up with onions, garlic, green peppers, pepperoni, black pepper, olives, etc etc, whatever's on hand and am in the mood for and sometimes make a Hawaiian pizza with ham, onions, and pineapple. And, I have a pizza pan that I brush with olive oil with black pepper mixed in, and the pizza turn out pretty darn good. I think the mozzarella cheese on the Kroger's pizzas is more authentic than that stuff on some of the name brand frozen pizzas.

Andrea
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2005/03/24 09:02:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roy51

Has anybody out there found a pizza that they bought at the grocery store that they thought was worthy?

I guess it depends on what you consider "worthy." If "worthy" means edible, I've found that the supermarket pizzas with self-rising crusts pretty much all fit the bill. I haven't been able to discern any significant difference between brands. My feeling on this, though, is that if I am going to eat a high-fat food like pizza, I want it to be the best pizza I can get, which means, of course, pizza from a pizza parlor. Consequently, we don't eat store-bought pizza anymore. A crust straight from the oven is so much better than one that has been frozen or baked and then refrigerated, that it's worth the extra cost and trouble that going to a parlor entails.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3173
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2005/03/24 09:36:43 (permalink)
For my quick fix pizza cravings I fire up my Weber gas grill, throw on my tiles, preheat to 450º, turn off the middle burner, throw on some cornmeal and take any old frozen pizza that I've lightly spritzed with water and seasoned to my tastes, (oreagano, fresh onion, pepper, ground fennel and a tiny bit of olive oil) and cook until done. You can use a better grade of frozen pizza but really there's no need for that.
mtbuckingham
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2005/03/24 10:01:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by renfrew

American Flatbread pizza. Available at whole foods, at least in the northeast.

Yes, yes, yes!!! Just tried this the other week, and it was GOOOOOOD!
Before I discovered American Flatbread, my favorite was Amy's (but not enough to buy often). I used to just plain not care for frozen pizza- now my freezer is filled with AF.
skylar0ne
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 473
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2005/03/24 13:20:56 (permalink)
We used to get croissant pizzas at our F00d Lion that weren'tbad - I think they were put out by Pepperidge Farm. The pepperoni wasn't good, but the cheese ones were the only kind of frozen pizzas I'd buy. I guess they weren't such a hit with everybody, since we can't get them anymore.

I hardly ever buy premade frozen pies anymore. We don't have any good piuzza joints in my neck of the woods, but I'd rather have a Dominos delivered to the door than a frozen one.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2005/03/24 15:11:18 (permalink)
Trader Joe's freezer section has a number of viable -- and somewhat authentic Italian varieties. They also have a few with cakier crusts, but all are far better than the choices at our local Safeway/QFC/Albertson's who seem to think the more cheap sh-t they put on - the hapier people will be with them. (Sadly, they are probably right.)
Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2005/06/08 18:29:03 (permalink)
The envelope please. The award for best frozen pizza goes to (dramatic drum roll) none of the above!

There is a pizza that stands apart from the usual suspects, is true to tradition right down to its wood fired crust. It is a simple and humble product that does not even have its own brand name, although it is really trying hard to fit in under premium store labels. So how does one track down this legendary will o' the wisp? If you are in the right market area, it is really quite simple:

If your grocery store is like the chain stores in my area and has created a separate frozen food area for its own premium store brand, you are in business. Step 1: Look for pizza. Step 2: Look for "made in Italy" on the box. Step 3: Box will also mention the pizza is "wood fired" Step 4: All variations of the pizza will be vegetarian.

I know, step 4 is a killer, but it is very easy to add your own meat toppings. One of my favorites is thinly sliced country ham on a Buffalo Mozzarella version of one of these gems.

Some people may think the toppings scant on these pizzas, but I don't. Quantity is more than made up for by quality in this case. The quality of the Italian ingredients really shine through here, especially the cheese and tomatoes.

Although these are sold as premium store brand pizzas, they do not carry a premium price. Price in my area varies between $4 to $5. The pizzas are medium sized, usually about 9" in diameter. They cook quickly, 10 minutes on the rack in the oven. I usually buy two; one for my vegetarian wife and one for me to play with. We both usually have leftovers.

There is a lot to like here. inexpensive pizza straight from Italy! Will American pizza survive?
I don't know. How are you gonna keep 'em down on the agri-biz farm once they have tasted Italy?
Tommy2dogs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2005/06/08 18:35:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

The envelope please. The award for best frozen pizza goes to (dramatic drum roll) none of the above!

There is a pizza that stands apart from the usual suspects, is true to tradition right down to its wood fired crust. It is a simple and humble product that does not even have its own brand name, although it is really trying hard to fit in under premium store labels. So how does one track down this legendary will o' the wisp? If you are in the right market area, it is really quite simple:

If your grocery store is like the chain stores in my area and has created a separate frozen food area for its own premium store brand, you are in business. Step 1: Look for pizza. Step 2: Look for "made in Italy" on the box. Step 3: Box will also mention the pizza is "wood fired" Step 4: All variations of the pizza will be vegetarian.

I know, step 4 is a killer, but it is very easy to add your own meat toppings. One of my favorites is thinly sliced country ham on a Buffalo Mozzarella version of one of these gems.

Some people may think the toppings scant on these pizzas, but I don't. Quantity is more than made up for by quality in this case. The quality of the Italian ingredients really shine through here, especially the cheese and tomatoes.

Although these are sold as premium store brand pizzas, they do not carry a premium price. Price in my area varies between $4 to $5. The pizzas are medium sized, usually about 9" in diameter. They cook quickly, 10 minutes on the rack in the oven. I usually buy two; one for my vegetarian wife and one for me to play with. We both usually have leftovers.

There is a lot to like here. inexpensive pizza straight from Italy! Will American pizza survive?
I don't know. How are you gonna keep 'em down on the agri-biz farm once they have tasted Italy?

Who is this guy?
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2005/09/12 15:08:52 (permalink)
What happened to the Wolfgang Puck frozen pizza? It was pretty good but it came and went out of the stores. Just wondering if it's out there somewhere.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2005/11/04 00:05:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Route 11

I'm about to go eat the remnants of my Food Lion rising crust pizza right now. It tasted just as good as DiGiorno but it was cheaper. I did add some hot oil to the top and some cracked pepper.

DiGiorno's spinach, mushroom and garlic variety is also very good.

Tombstone's okay. I bought a kind of pizza BREAD at Harris Teeter...can't remember the name, but it was from Chicago and it was excellent.

I like my own, too, made with pizza crust from a mix, cut-up tomatoes, cheese and spinach. I'm just too lazy to make it 3/4 of the time.

The Digiorno that is mentioned above is tasty for frozen, and I agree about freschetta.. Those are the only 2 I buy, unless its stouffers french bread pizza....in fact, I just picked a pair up tonight .. buy the cheese and doctor my own up..
AndreaB
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2006/01/14 08:35:33 (permalink)
My old friend from high school is insisting that I try a plain cheese Red Baron pizza and add my own toppings and spices. I never liked Red Baron pizza because the toppings seemed --- well, overly processed. I'm going to give this a shot though because all we have here are chains and so it couldn't be much worse and will certainly be less expensive.

Andrea
violetflower
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2006/01/28 16:55:23 (permalink)
I just had my first Home Run Inn Pizza (thanks for the recommendations) and I have to say it was the best frozen pizza I've ever had. The cheese reminds me a bit of Pizza Hut's. I bought the pepperoni. I've been buying California Pizza Kitchen and to me it still has that frozen pizza quality about it, where as Home Run Pizza did not. Thanks!
Miata Stu
Junior Burger
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2006/02/03 18:41:13 (permalink)
I buy whatever is on sale , a can of cheap store brand pineapple ,some ham and pig out . Hey it leaves more money for the beer....and aint beer a member of the food groups ?
Miata Stu
Junior Burger
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2006/02/03 18:50:30 (permalink)
And I would like to mention most frozen pizzas with the addition of some homemade toppings are as good and a heck of a lot cheaper than the usual swill served by chains....and I really mean a LOT cheaper . Plus its fun and you can spend quality time with your kids / family...so buy a couple of pizzas , some toppings and rent a couple of movies ....and if you insist on GOOD pizza most good supermarkets sell dough and sauce...impress your kids with skills you learned 20 or 30 years ago.....not responsible for accidents if you try tossing them .
mlklein
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2006/02/20 21:46:04 (permalink)
I agree. My favorite is the Aldi $2 Sausage pizza. Really doesn't need any dressing up and tastes great.
Optim13922
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2006/02/26 20:48:27 (permalink)
excuse me but does anyone know if and why tombstone pulled it's stuffed crust pizza off the shelves? that pizza was amazing.....
Poopy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2006/02/27 10:58:53 (permalink)
I like the frozen Kroger taco pizza. After it comes out of the oven I add shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar and salsa. Not too bad and pretty cheap.
soup43
Junior Burger
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2006/02/27 11:15:58 (permalink)
I just recently tried a Stater Bros four cheese. It was decent, better than any other in the last few years. Stater Bros is a SoCal grocery chain.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2006/02/27 11:45:29 (permalink)
Our family votes for the DiGiorno thin crust. Publix brand follows in 2nd as it has a fairly thin crust as well. If we eat a "pan" or thick style crust it's always at our neighborhood Leonardo's. Their slogan" Oh no, not only only sauce and dough, it's Leonardo's...". The owner is a real trip.
MandalayVA
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2006/03/04 01:22:57 (permalink)
I've found Home Run Inn pizza here in Richmond at Ukrop's, and I have to say it was pretty good. Only bad thing is that Ukrop's only seems to carry the plain and pepperoni varieties--my favorite is sausage, which they used to have but now don't. Le bummer.
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 359
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2006/03/04 01:34:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Eggo

What happened to the Wolfgang Puck frozen pizza? It was pretty good but it came and went out of the stores. Just wondering if it's out there somewhere.

Miss it, That is the only one I would buy and only on sale. One thing that was different is all frozen pizzas say do not add anything but Wolfgang made suggestions on the box which worked out well. One was drizzling a little e.v.olive oil on top and adding a little fresh basil. yum
Wander
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2006/03/04 02:02:58 (permalink)
Family favorite frozen pizza is the thin crusted Palermo's variety. Any one will do, doctored to taste with whatever fits my fancy at the moment.
AndreaB
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2006/03/04 11:23:40 (permalink)
We had the misfortune of trying the "California Kitchen" pizza the other day and did not like it at all! It just tasted .......well weird and it was like the spices did not go together. For store bought we'll be sticking with the simple Kroger cheese pizza and dressing it ourselves.

Andrea
DinoS
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Store Bought Pizza 2006/03/04 13:47:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Eggo

When these first came out they were pretty good. After a couple of years, I noticed that the packaging changed (cheaper) and the taste was different too. I think Mr. Puck farmed out the preparation of all his food products to some company who cheapened them all up. I no longer buy any products that have his name on them.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1