Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Store Bought Pizza

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 86
roy51

• Total Posts: 35
Store Bought Pizza Wed, 08/6/03 3:50 PM (permalink)
Has anybody out there found a pizza that they bought at the grocery store that they thought was worthy?

hawkeyejohn

• Total Posts: 257
    RE: Store Bought Pizza Wed, 08/6/03 3:52 PM (permalink)
    I enjoy Father and Son pizza sold in the grocery stores in the Chicago area.

Ted Steak

• Total Posts: 60
      RE: Store Bought Pizza Wed, 08/6/03 6:45 PM (permalink)
      When I was growing up the "Tree Tavern" brand was a very decent frozen pizza. But the brand was bought by someone else....you'd be better off eating the box it comes in, there's no comparison to the older version.

mousec

• Total Posts: 298
        RE: Store Bought Pizza Wed, 08/6/03 8:14 PM (permalink)
        In the Chicagoland area you can get frozen Home Run Inn pizza at grocery stores. Kraft has a brand called Jack's that they sell in this area and it is also very good.

Also, many pizza establishments (e.g. Lou Malnati's Pizza, Giordano's Stuffed Pizza, etc) sell frozen pizzas at their restaraunts.

Kodachrome

• Total Posts: 37
          RE: Store Bought Pizza Thu, 08/21/03 11:58 AM (permalink)
          Well, the 2 for 3 buck Tony's original crust pizzas are very good, if cooked to orange perfection..with some chillipepper/red peppers/garlic on top they actually are pretty good

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
            RE: Store Bought Pizza Thu, 08/21/03 12:16 PM (permalink)
            I like the Freschetta brand when I want something a little "high line." Pretty good stuff.

Tombstone is my standard stuff-it-in-the-oven-for-movie-night-with-my-son pizza, gilded with extra cheese and sometimes roasted onion, garlic, and red bell pepper.

2005Equinox

• Total Posts: 219
              RE: Store Bought Pizza Mon, 10/27/03 2:24 AM (permalink)
              Orv's is fairly good for Frozen pizza here.

ericm

• Total Posts: 17
                RE: Store Bought Pizza Wed, 10/29/03 1:09 AM (permalink)
                Freschetta Brick Oven.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                  RE: Store Bought Pizza Wed, 10/29/03 1:21 AM (permalink)
                  I think the key to edible frozen pizza is not the brand, but the cooking. My sister gave me a Presto Pizzazz pizza cooker for Christmas last year. I don't really like most small kitchen cooking gadgets, but this machine is terrific.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Store Bought Pizza Thu, 10/30/03 6:48 PM (permalink)
                    Hmmm... Good pizza from the frozen isle... So many choices, yet so many losers! For a thin crust I prefer the Jacks Pizza, if I feel like dicing up some veggies and adding some extra cheese then Tonys makes good for that project (Both are fairly cheap when on sale). I used to like Red Baron, but quality and quantity have gone down over the last several years. For a tasty sauce, Tombstone gets my vote! But my favorite as a kid was Mr Chef Pizza (no longer available)...
                    Well, there's my 2 cents worth!

Penoose

• Total Posts: 57
                      RE: Store Bought Pizza Mon, 11/10/03 12:21 PM (permalink)
                      >>So many choices, yet so many losers!<<

Yes.

Most store bought pizza suffers in the crust department. Even the passable ones (Tombstone, etc) have those thin cracker crusts.

Some of the rising crust pizzas are good (CPK especially), but at 6 bucks a pop, you may as well order a fresh pie.

>>I gotta admit, it wasn't half bad<<

Indifference...this is really the best you can hope for with frozen pizza...

"Well, it wasn't as tasteless as I expected..."

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
                        RE: Store Bought Pizza Mon, 11/10/03 1:28 PM (permalink)
                        When I want something really special, I get one of those Boboli shells and whip up something like my famous BBQ chicken pizza or what I like to call my "hoofprints in the snow" pizza: a blanket of white cheese, garlic and great northern beans with little rings of black olives on top of the cheese as a topping.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                          RE: Store Bought Pizza Mon, 11/10/03 2:00 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Kristi S.

When I want something really special, I get one of those Boboli shells and whip up something like my famous BBQ chicken pizza or what I like to call my "hoofprints in the snow" pizza: a blanket of white cheese, garlic and great northern beans with little rings of black olives on top of the cheese as a topping.

Ever since Boboli changed its ingredients I don't like it. They stopped using olive oil, and several other things.

Julia I

RE: Store Bought Pizza Tue, 11/11/03 3:31 AM (permalink)
                            I usually go for Tombstone, because I like their crust and their sauce. But I almost always start piling on the additions to personalize it. Add a few mushrooms, some green pepper, chopped fresh tomatoes (yum!) and maybe a bit of extra cheese, and I'm happy as a clam. [|)][|)]

dendan

• Total Posts: 479
                              RE: Store Bought Pizza Tue, 11/11/03 8:19 AM (permalink)
                              Tried Freschetta Brick Oven for the first time this weekend. Nice change. Still not the same as making your own.

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
                                RE: Store Bought Pizza Tue, 11/11/03 9:28 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Michael Hoffman
                                Ever since Boboli changed its ingredients I don't like it. They stopped using olive oil, and several other things.

Olive oil is always the first ingredient I put on Boboli, before anything else!

hotdogger

• Total Posts: 88
                                  RE: Store Bought Pizza Thu, 11/13/03 2:37 AM (permalink)
                                  I gave up on finding a brand of store bought pizza that tasted like it came from a pizzeria long ago. Most of the store bought pizzas just cost too much and it would be better to get a real pizza delivered. Having said that, I do buy frozen pizza sometimes because its convenient and easy to make for a late night snack. I buy Ellio's or the generic supermarket brand and always add my own ingredients to it like garlic, onion, pepperoni or anchovies. It will never replace 'real' pizza but when you're hungry at midnight you'll be glad its there.

Vince Macek

• Total Posts: 855
                                    RE: Store Bought Pizza Thu, 11/13/03 7:47 AM (permalink)
                                    My local supermarket sells raw pizza dough in the bakery section (about a buck and a half). Punch it out flat from fist to fist, give it a few spins, top it with literally anything you want, eat it as fresh as it gets - it is totally worth it!

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
                                      RE: Store Bought Pizza Tue, 11/18/03 4:19 PM (permalink)
                                      There is a company in Minnesota called Randy's. They sell those good stuff sandwhiches you nuke at the gas station. They make the best frozen pizza I have ever had. I'm not even sure where they sell them, I think to bars or something. I get them from my nephews as they use them as a fund raiser for hockey.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                                        RE: Store Bought Pizza Tue, 11/18/03 4:47 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Kristi S.

quote:
                                        Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Olive oil is always the first ingredient I put on Boboli, before anything else!

I always topped it with chopped garlic in olive oil, spread by hand. Then I'd cover it with sliced plum tomatoes, grated Reggiano Parmigiano, then fresh basil, and finally, slices of cheese (mozzarella or scamorza).

Sundancer7

RE: Store Bought Pizza Tue, 11/18/03 5:19 PM (permalink)
                                          I buy cheap pizza's at Walmart (Jeno's @ $0.79 each). They ain't much cause I do not care. They have some topings on them and you can get sausage, pepperoni, everything or cheese.

The reason I do not care is the crust is good and what they have on them serves as a base for my pizza cheese, fresh green peppers, sliced jalapeno's, more pepperoni (Which I put on top to get really crispy), onions and my particular spices.

I put it in the oven at 425 with some olive oil on the bottom and I do not use a pan. The crust gets better that way. Instructions call for 10-12 minutes, but due to my piled high stuff I add, I let it stay at least 20 minutes. Pretty cotton picking good.

Paul E. Smith
                                          Knoxville, TN

Loudawgg

• Total Posts: 21
                                            RE: Store Bought Pizza Wed, 11/19/03 3:33 AM (permalink)
                                            Here in Northeast Pa. there is a local company called Proferas pizza sold in the local grocery stores here that makes the best store bought pizza.

Roy

• Total Posts: 131
                                              RE: Store Bought Pizza Sat, 11/22/03 4:46 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by dendan

Tried Freschetta Brick Oven for the first time this weekend. Nice change. Still not the same as making your own.

The Freschetta Brick Oven www.freschetta.com pizza isn't bad. I'll never confuse it with real apizza however, as I come from New Haven and certainly know better.

2005Equinox

• Total Posts: 219
                                                RE: Store Bought Pizza Wed, 12/3/03 2:27 AM (permalink)
                                                I do add stuff to try to salvage frozen pizza if I do get it. I usually get fresh pizza that Piggly Wiggly makes because it is WAY better than any frozen pizza can ever be.

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
                                                  RE: Store Bought Pizza Thu, 12/4/03 10:12 AM (permalink)
                                                  I vote for Home Run Inn frozen pizza, available around the Chicago area. I'm having one tonight.

Tombstone uses cheap cheese, and it's evident in every bite.

glennpan

• Total Posts: 90
                                                    RE: Store Bought Pizza Thu, 12/4/03 5:58 PM (permalink)
                                                    Like Sundancer I generally go for the cheap pizzas and dress them up. I normally buy the Totinos party pizzas, for about a buck each. I take one, add some garlic, Chimayo red chile powder (the best pizza topping ever), sliced portabellas, and whatever else looks good, and throw the pizza on the grill.

I started grilling pizzas in the summer because I didn't want to heat up my house with the oven, and I got hooked. It is quick, the crust gets crisp, and you can get a nice smoky flavor.

Sundancer7

RE: Store Bought Pizza Thu, 12/4/03 6:29 PM (permalink)
                                                      I still do the cheap pizza thing but don't let them thaw before you stick them in the oven. I did that the other night and due to the flacity of the pizza, it dumped the ingredients of the stuff I had added to the cheap pizza on to the bottom of the oven and stunk up the joint.

Paul E. Smith
                                                      Knoxville, TN

rainsux

• Total Posts: 68
                                                        • Location: Detroit, MI, MI
                                                        RE: Store Bought Pizza Thu, 12/4/03 7:08 PM (permalink)
                                                        When I was in college we bought frozen pizza shells and fixins from
                                                        the wholesaler that supplied the independent pizza shops. Both
                                                        cheaper and better than any of the store-bought frozen pizzas.

-doug

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
                                                          • Location: Chicago, IL
                                                          RE: Store Bought Pizza Fri, 12/5/03 10:47 AM (permalink)
                                                          We had frozen store-bought Home Run Inn pizza for dinner last night, and it has to be the best ever from a store. Crispy crust, great-tasting cheese and quality tomato sauce. I can't vouch for their meat pizzas, because we don't eat them, but their plain cheese variety is wonderful. Better than Domino's or Pizza Hut any day.

BassMan12

• Total Posts: 17
                                                            • Location: Covington/Atlanta, GA
                                                            RE: Store Bought Pizza Fri, 12/5/03 10:56 AM (permalink)
                                                            The Publix supermarkets in my area, (metro Atlanta), has a store brand with self-rising crust that is almost if not as good as the pizza shops. It is about $5.00 for a 14"-16" pizza. Just be sure and get the one with self-rising crust.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 86

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com