Stouffers Mac & Cheese

Author
Kaczmark
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
2005/06/01 12:03:16 (permalink)

Stouffers Mac & Cheese

O.K. O.K. I've waited long enough. All you roadfood lovers out there, listen up. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE like cheese. Lots and lots of sharp chedder cheese. And there isn't ANYONE in the house who doesn't like MAC and CHEESE. Well now,....put the two together and what do you have? STOUFFERS MAC AND CHEESE. There is not a better, more FLAVORFUL frozen product put out today! ! For those of you who wouldn't "lower" yourselves to try a "frozen" mac and cheese, well I beg your pardon. It's all about the cheese...the FLAVOR. the sharp cheeder flavor. Come on,...lets here from all you Stouffers lovers AND you first time tryers of the best mac and cheese you are ever going to try!!!~ Promise.

19 Replies Related Threads

Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/01 15:13:39 (permalink)
    Aggressive little Junior Burger, aren'tcha. " />

I'll admit, I think it's the best of frozen processed food. I do like it.

But not better than home-made, like my Mom's was.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/01 15:28:55 (permalink)
    I have tried it, it is okay. But it does not beat homemade. And i can get a better taste without all the crap they put into it.
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/01 15:50:26 (permalink)
    We like it and buy it to have on hand for those times when we don't feel like cooking, or want something quick for lunch, but it doesn't beat good homemade. In fact, we use the Lean Cuisine Mac anc Cheese to save some on the fat and sodium (if there is any savings). Regardless, it is a good substitute for the real thing.

Donna
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/01 15:57:49 (permalink)
    What I had to say, Donna Douglass pretty well covered... Then I also have to agree with Renfrew.. Nothing beats homemade!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18343
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/01 16:15:16 (permalink)
    I've never had any frozen macaroni and cheese. It's not that I have anything against frozen macaroni and cheese, it's just that I've never thought of buying it. Of course, I never even heard of macaroni and cheese till I married. That was when I found out that Kraft Dinner was macaroni and cheese. I am not kidding.

By the way, I love the macaroni and cheese I get at City Barbeque, a local chain in the Columbus area.
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/01 17:09:22 (permalink)
    FUNNY just today i MADE mac and cheese today that tasted like Stouffers only homemade and better~~~~ frozen Stouffers is ok, a bit gluey and rich sometimes.
    TodayI made the recipe from cooks illustrated the best recipe cookbook, the one for stovetop macaroni and cheese.
    ( i make homemade mac and cheese alot/ the baked kind with breadcrumbs on top/ but this is different)
    It has eggs, evaporated milk, a bit of dry mustard , salt and pepper and lots o cheese. super yum and when i was eating it i thought " Gee this tastes alot like stouffers, but BETTER!!!!!!"
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/01 17:21:24 (permalink)
    The taste of Stouffer's in no way makes up for the fat and sodium hit you take from the product. I have always thought Stouffer's Mac & Cheese rather bland even for a frozen product. Forget about frozen, make your own, it's just as fast.

If you must use a frozen product try Freezer Queen Mac & Cheese. It is much lower in fat, sodium and cost. Plus it tastes better.
    Gizmolito
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/01 19:22:18 (permalink)
    Stoffer's makes a great little individual dinner (in the red box) that's a breaded fish filet and M&C. That's it- no little compartment of corn, no little "brownie" and no complex heating instructions.

Quick and tasty.

I know homemade mac and cheese is better, but then again ROADFOOD isn't homemade either. At least not in my home or Grandma's house.

In that vein, I think frozen dinners have a place in at least the Comfort Food category, if not also Nostalgia Food. As comfort food, fat and sodium content don't mean much.

Sad but true, some of us grew up eating TV Dinners in the fifties.
    Kaczmark
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/02 10:11:41 (permalink)
    Originally posted by Greyghost

The taste of Stouffer's in no way makes up for the fat and sodium hit you take from the product. I have always thought Stouffer's Mac & Cheese rather bland even for a frozen product. Forget about frozen, make your own, it's just as fast.

If you must use a frozen product try Freezer Queen Mac & Cheese. It is much lower in fat, sodium and cost. Plus it tastes better.
    [ /quote] FREEZER QUEEN TASTES BETTER THAN STOUFFERS???????????? Could you show me on the FQ box where it says they use "real" cheese??
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/29 12:17:01 (permalink)
    Not a big fan of the Stouffer's product - taste is too sharp/sour for me. I love mac and cheese but pretty much settle on making my own, which I can happily eat by the pound (but don't or else the results will show!). Also can't abide by the shocking level of sodium in the frozen product.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/29 14:26:54 (permalink)
    We almost always have a stack of Michelina's frozen foods in the freezer (the daughter loves them) single serving size and only a dollar, the macNcheese is actually rather good! The other entree's don't strike my fancy but the youngin will pop one in the nuke between college and work and quite often late at night. Stouffers isnt bad in a pinch and theres something to be said for the ease of just popping it in the oven but as easy as quality homemade macNcheese is to make Stouffers isn't worth the derision of family members and will never grace the same table as my "Q".
    spaniel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/29 22:01:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CarolinaBill

Not a big fan of the Stouffer's product - taste is too sharp/sour for me. I love mac and cheese but pretty much settle on making my own, which I can happily eat by the pound (but don't or else the results will show!). Also can't abide by the shocking level of sodium in the frozen product.

Yeah, "sharp" and "sour" pretty well describes what I dislike about Stouffer's mac & cheese. I do enjoy their vegetable lasagna, though.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/29 22:07:47 (permalink)
    I do not know how many years Stouffers has been around but I would guess better than 50 years. I have always enjoyed their products and their Mac and Cheese is very good.

I bought their family pack of lasagna with three cheeses and meet today for my wife's retirement party tomorrow.

My memory fails me but it seems that Stouffers use to run motels and restaurants????? I guess I need some help on this one.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/29 22:20:34 (permalink)
    I've never considered M & C from the freezer. The stuff from the box is bad enough. I think I'd rather go to the trouble of making it the real way.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/30 19:32:04 (permalink)
    I've never cared much for the frozen Stouffer's mac 'n cheese. If it's not my homemade mac 'n cheese, I'd rather get a box of kraft mac 'n cheese or velveeta shells and jazz it up. I do, however, like Stouffer's spinach souffle!

Andrea
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/30 19:51:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I do not know how many years Stouffers has been around but I would guess better than 50 years. I have always enjoyed their products and their Mac and Cheese is very good.

I bought their family pack of lasagna with three cheeses and meet today for my wife's retirement party tomorrow.

My memory fails me but it seems that Stouffers use to run motels and restaurants????? I guess I need some help on this one.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Have been buying Stouffer's products for many years now. They are still good, but not that good. The change came when they had to reformulate products to cook in microwave ovens (aka no more tin pans). This was many years ago.

I remember staying @ Stouffer's 25+ story hotel in downtown Nashville in fall of '96 for 4 days or so in downtown area. Don't know if same is still around, etc. Had a blast! Learned to eat sushi, etc., and also some "other things". Visited Hard Rock/Nashville (NOT for food, BTW). Still got my denim jacket from there. (Has this closed down? Can't seem to find on Google, etc.)
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/30 20:11:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Visited Hard Rock/Nashville (NOT for food, BTW). Still got my denim jacket from there. (Has this closed down? Can't seem to find on Google, etc.)

Their cafe still shows up on their website: http://www.hardrock.com/locations/cafes/Cafes.aspx?Lc=NASH
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/30 20:17:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 6star

quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Visited Hard Rock/Nashville (NOT for food, BTW). Still got my denim jacket from there. (Has this closed down? Can't seem to find on Google, etc.)

Their cafe still shows up on their website: http://www.hardrock.com/locations/cafes/Cafes.aspx?Lc=NASH

Aha. That was no where NEAR where I encountered it (on 1st. St.)
    Strange. They had just opened location where I mentioned just several months before I visited. Oh well...

jlobough
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Stouffers Mac & Cheese 2005/06/30 20:51:58 (permalink)
    I'll agree that the Stouffer's Mac & Cheese is good. It also seems to be on sale quite a bit, which is always a plus in my book.

At the same time, with the sodium content it has, it's certainly not something I'd eat every day. It's always nice to have a couple in the freezer though when the urge to cook isn't there, but it doesn't beat the homemade stuff my grandma used to make. Ahh, memories.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1