Stranger things have happened, I guess.

Author
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 756
2012/11/11 18:10:54 (permalink)

Stranger things have happened, I guess.

So, I've been testing a new site I have. In front of an old building that hasn't been occupied in 20 years. Has a nice pull-in pull-out feature.I know the property owner, no charge, so that's good.
Tried a weekday and a Saturday. Not much happening, but made some hungry people happy who will be back.
Thought I'd try a Sunday. Ready to go at 11:00, didn't get one customer until 12:30. Then I got one who bought one dog. Chili only. She said she had to go home and get orders. She said maybe ten dogs. She came back and bought 16. (Said the Chili was awesome)All really simple ones, so they were easy to crank out. Then she asked if I do partys. Now I got a kids party next week, selling those .15 dogs for $1.50.
OK, next, I get a guy who just wants to buy a bag of chips for .50 with a twenty. I say I can't deplete my change for that and said he could have the chips for free.He kinda sent a vibe where he was checking my cash on hand so he could come back and rob me. He just had lunch so he bought 4 dogs for dinner.
Sure enough, he comes back about an hour later. Looked kinda weird. He asks me "Do you know Jesus?".
I'm thinking "Well I guess I'm gonna meet him real quick"
He said "Jesus was talking to me and said I should do this".
Then he hands me a wad of money. $73.00 in all.
Asked me if I had a Bible and I said "Not on me", got in his car and drove away.
Everyday is an adventure.

10 Replies Related Threads

BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 438
    Re:Stranger things have happened, I guess. 2012/11/11 18:45:49 (permalink)
    yep. dogging is different for everyone and every location. you never know what will happen. sounds like you are off on the catering trail. keep on dogging.

Lonestar Dogs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Stranger things have happened, I guess. 2012/11/11 19:30:23 (permalink)
    JCheese,

Stranger things have happened I'm sure, but that there is pretty strange! I wonder what other news of the strange and weird the pros have experienced on the board...

~Lonesetar
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    Re:Stranger things have happened, I guess. 2012/11/20 22:45:21 (permalink)
    not quite as eerie as your jesus guy, but:

One of my first nights out with the bar corwd a young guy was celebrating his birthday.
    BY the time i see him he can not stand up vertically... in fact he is about 4 inches from face planting.

He comes to my cart, a taco cart, and keeps asking me for a cheeseburger. After about 17 times of trying to convince him i don't have any cheeseburgers i finally offer him a beef quesadilla.  It's a 5$ quesadilla and he hands me a wad if bills and says "keep the change."  Being happy to be rid of him i don't look at the money and assume he just stiffed me a few bucks.  Later that night when i look at the wad it's 3 20s and i feel super bad about it.
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 350
    Re:Stranger things have happened, I guess. 2012/11/20 22:53:43 (permalink)
    These guys are going to come back to kill both of you!
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Stranger things have happened, I guess. 2012/11/22 21:13:01 (permalink)
    Tristan225

These guys are going to come back to kill both of you!

well it's been more than a year now so i am starting to feel safe, but i do watch over my shoulder from time to time.
    RJT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 400
    Re:Stranger things have happened, I guess. 2012/11/23 10:31:00 (permalink)
    I could go on and on for days about crazy stuff that people say and do when I am running my cart. I swear a cart has some weird magnetic force field that attracts idiots. Everyday I have some idiot say or do something stupid.
    I love my good loyal customers but I have more than my share of idiots....
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 756
    Re:Stranger things have happened, I guess. 2012/11/23 17:12:55 (permalink)
    My main idiots are the ones who pull up and ask"How much is a Hot Dog?"
    I say they start at $1.50. Before I get a chance to tell them it includes taxes and all toppings, they drive off. Don't have too many, don't expect them back. They run down to Wal-mart and buy .89 TV dinners.
    Next vehicle is full of folk and they buy 8-10 Nathans. And they come back. Go figure.

Can't understand why folks think a stand-alone Hot Dog cart is gonna be cheaper than the Gas Station. Do they think this is a hobby?
    This is a very small portion of my business, but still, I hate to turn any one away. If they are that poor(not cheap) they can have it for free. Of course, lotsa onions and slaw, cuz they need their vegetables. 
    post edited by jcheese - 2012/11/23 17:26:01
    RJT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 400
    Re:Stranger things have happened, I guess. 2012/11/24 17:36:03 (permalink)
    LOL, Yep, I call them drive by idiots. Or they yell across the parking lot as they are walking "how much is a hot dog?" then when you tell them they keep walking.

I am telling you, it is universal with hot dog carts and idiots. No matter if you are in VA, SC, CA, NC, BFE, they are all the same, sent down to aggrivate all hot dog cart vendors.

Like you said, then you have the good customers that come order, no hassle, leave a little something in the tip jar and say "have a great day" as they are leaving. That is when you realize that is why we keep doing what we do.
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Stranger things have happened, I guess. 2012/11/24 18:08:20 (permalink)
    I get a lot of people who ask me "how much are your sausages-hotdogs-weiners-etc?"

It's usually girls, but either way my response: "only one sausage here darlin' and it's already spoken for."   This usually gets a laugh out of people in line, though one girl whose mental fog was so thick she actually got in line and got mad when she finally figured out what i was saying.

Apparently two menu boards and a big sign that says hella good tacos wasn't enough warning for her....
    BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 438
    Re:Stranger things have happened, I guess. 2012/11/24 18:36:35 (permalink)
    love your handle.
    It can be a slogan too.
    If you want good food, go to hella!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1