Strangest Toppings You've Run Across?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 18:46:38 (permalink)
oops, forgot the oddest thing. Local pizza joint offers sauerkraut as a topping.. Rather have one with my rueben, but no rueben 'za for Tara!
mugirl2003
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 19:40:17 (permalink)
I don't think this would qualify as a real pizza, maybe more of a dessert pizza. I believe I seen it on "Unwrapped" where a resturant makes a peanut butter and jelly pizza. They spread the pb on the crust and then the jelly, and I believe they put it in the oven? It's been awhile back so I'm not positive on how they made it!
10X10
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/22 09:33:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by caratzas

quote:
Originally posted by 10X10
I have been away for over 30 yrs as well, but maybe it was Whitney Ave.

Ding! This review says they used to be in Hamden on the corner of Skiff and Whitney: http://www.ctnow.com/dining/5645,0,1600708.venue

It looks like they've moved a hair down Skiff towards Lee Partyka (zoom in): http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&hs=X5e&lr=&c2coff=1&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=sorrento%27s&near=Hamden,+CT&sa=X&oi=localr

Been by there a million times and never noticed it; sounds it's like time to check it out. Here's their website (Good news 10x10 -- Tuna's still on the menu! ):
http://nearhome.com/ct/hamden/sorrentos/
it was well hidden behind a corner drugstore. Sorrento's was an unassuming brick building with a small neon sign....ahhhhh memories.
baughman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/22 09:37:32 (permalink)
Marions piazza in Dayton Ohio has saurkraut and ham pizza, it is very good. I have had a pb and j pizza from east of chicago pizza up in my hometown for my grandparents 60s wedding ann. Wasnt to bad actually. I use to manage at a few pizza places in my younger days and we always made dif pizzas. Some places sell a breakfast pizza with eggs brushed on and then basicaly putting stuff u would put in a omelette on it. One of my favorites was a few times a cpl of my buddies and I made rueben pizzas. now that was tasty. thousand island on the crust then cornedbeef saurkraut and a good amount of swiss on top.
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/22 13:38:07 (permalink)
I saw a show on the Food Channel about pizza the other night. They interviewed the founder of a large chain (California Pizza?) and he said his all-time worst idea for a topping was egg salad. I figure it can't be any worse than pineapple but, what do I know, I like Miracle Whip. Not on pizza, though. pb
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/22 13:39:26 (permalink)
Eggplant sounds like it would be good on a pizza as long as it was a red sauce pizza. Sardines and sauerkraut NO! The strangest one I ever saw was a "Thai" pizza that had ground peanuts, bean sprouts, egg, scallions, squid, and all the usual ingredients you'd find in Pad Thai.

Andrea
Xfireguy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/22 14:38:50 (permalink)
Randy's Wooster Street Pizza offers a peanut butter and provolone pizza. I would try it cuz every says how good it is but I wouldn't pay to try it.
caratzas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 216
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/22 20:45:27 (permalink)
Eggplant sounds like it would be good on a pizza as long as it was a red sauce pizza.

Yes, maybe deep-fried breaded slices for an eggplant parmagiana pizza? Sounds tasty!
FlippyTheRed
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/22 22:24:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by baughman

Marions piazza in Dayton Ohio has saurkraut and ham pizza, it is very good. I have had a pb and j pizza from east of chicago pizza up in my hometown for my grandparents 60s wedding ann. Wasnt to bad actually. I use to manage at a few pizza places in my younger days and we always made dif pizzas. Some places sell a breakfast pizza with eggs brushed on and then basicaly putting stuff u would put in a omelette on it. One of my favorites was a few times a cpl of my buddies and I made rueben pizzas. now that was tasty. thousand island on the crust then cornedbeef saurkraut and a good amount of swiss on top.

Used to love Marions Piazza! Back in my high school days they would have anniversary specials where they would roll the prices back to their opening year. Great when you have no money.

There was a time that Domino's tested breakfast pizza in Dayton, back in the 80's. They weren't half bad as I remember - eggs, bacon, onion, etc, delivered with a healthy serving of coffee and a (new at the time) USA Today.

Also, Wolfgang Puck Express in Terminal 7 at LAX serves breakfast pizzas baked in their wood-fired oven. When the option is paying $5 for some cheese and crackers on your flight, it looks pretty good.

Flippy
Ermo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/23 11:01:02 (permalink)
Z Pizza in So Cal makes a pizza with eggplant that is pretty freaking great. www.zpizza.com

And I'm sure I'll take some heat for this, but in St Louis they use Provel "cheese" (I'm pretty sure that no actual dairy products are involved in its production) that has the consistency and flavor of half-dried latex house paint.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18700
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/23 11:30:10 (permalink)
Provel is a blend of cheddar, Swiss and provolone cheese.
Ermo
Junior Burger
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/23 11:39:37 (permalink)
Held together with Elmer's glue.
Ermo
Junior Burger
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/23 11:43:07 (permalink)
Seriously though, it's not just those cheeses mixed together. It's a processed cheese. Probably the closest equivalent I can think of is white American cheese. The consistency when melted on a pizza makes it seem like the pizza is plastic coated.

I'm waiting for the St. Louis people to chime in and say how much they love it. Which is fine. I respect that. But it really is strange stuff.
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/23 12:45:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ermo

Z Pizza in So Cal makes a pizza with eggplant that is pretty freaking great. www.zpizza.com

And I'm sure I'll take some heat for this, but in St Louis they use Provel "cheese" (I'm pretty sure that no actual dairy products are involved in its production) that has the consistency and flavor of half-dried latex house paint.

I've never tried eating half-dried latex house paint before. I had some fresh out of the can once and it wasn't to bad.
Ermo
Junior Burger
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/23 13:36:26 (permalink)
It's good with pepperoni.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/25 23:10:55 (permalink)
A couple of places in NYC are now offering pasta pizza for your delight! It is regular pizza (cheese, tomato sauce)with ziti on top.
I guess in case you can't decide what kind of Italian food you want....
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/26 17:39:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ermo
I'm waiting for the St. Louis people to chime in and say how much they love it.

Ermo,
If that's any indication, I wouldn't doubt that if you looked long enough and thoroughly enough around St. Louis and environs, you'd encounter:
1) Toasted Ravioli Pizza - someplace on the Southside.
2) Chop Suey Pizza - in a blue collar part of town.
3) Snoots Pizza - in East St. Louis, in some place that has lain undiscovered for years.
I would try a single slice of any of the above just once if I found it available, just to say that I had tried it. But I think I really WILL go to North Carolina and scour up a place that will readily make a livermush pizza. Which city should I visit first: Shelby? Gastonia? Forest City? Marion? Kannapolis? Thomasville?
I'll report back when I'm mobile.
Sliced Generously But With A Thin Crust, Ort. Carlton in Well-Pizzafied Athens, Georgia.
buckeye1
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/26 23:22:00 (permalink)
When I was a college student in Manchester, England, there was a Domino's near campus that we ordered from on occasion. My Brit roommates always ordered chicken and sweet corn, sometimes with jalapenos. Here are a couple from their website www.dominos.uk.com

Domino's Tandoori Hot®
Tandoori chicken, onions, mushrooms, green peppers, jalapeno peppers

Domino's Texas BBQ®
Texas barbecue sauce, roast chicken, smoky bacon, onions, green peppers

Full House®
Onions, green peppers, pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, ground beef, ham, sweetcorn, pineapple

Chicago Thin Crust
Get more crunch, less crust with our new lighter pizza base
WHO'S EVER HEARD OF CHICAGO THIN CRUST???
buckeye1
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/26 23:25:13 (permalink)
Sorry - make that site: http://www.dominos.uk.com/food_guide/

And check out their desserts too:

http://www.dominos.uk.com/pdf/FoodGuide_Desserts.pdf

I think a little "Hanky Panky" goes well with pizza...

Bill
Catracks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/03/07 14:57:14 (permalink)
The nastiest concoction I've ever run across was: Pineapple, cashew and shrimp. The sauce was white. Disgusting.

I also kinda hate that BBQ chicken pizza fad. Sweet sauce on a pizza doesn't cut it for me. I like it when it's spicy and/or garlicky.
jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/03/07 16:30:25 (permalink)
Why do some call a pizza apizza?Sounds goofy to me.
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/03/08 15:56:49 (permalink)
Goldstein & Wongs Pizzeria had some real different pizzas. Peanut Butter & Jelly Pizza, Sweet & Sour Chicken Pizza, Matzo Ball Pizza, Corn Beef 'N Rye Pizza, Catfish Cajun Pizza, and Tuna Pizza.
Bulldozer Rectangle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/04/05 15:19:57 (permalink)
I was on a project in Baton Rouge, and a pizza place right off of I-10 offered a pizza with nutria sausage.

Once I found out what a nutria actually was... ummm... no thanks.

One of my co-workers tried it and said it was good. My loss I guess.
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/04/05 15:56:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldozer Rectangle

I was on a project in Baton Rouge, and a pizza place right off of I-10 offered a pizza with nutria sausage.

Rodent sausage? Never tried it so I guess I can't knock it.
winstoda
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/04/05 17:42:26 (permalink)
Just returned from Barbados. Both corn and peas are standard toppings there. Yuck!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18700
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/04/05 18:03:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

Apizza (pronounced ah-BEETS) is a style of pizza common in New Haven, Connecticut. It originated at the Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana and is now served in many other pizzerias in the area, including Sally's Apizza and Modern Apizza.

Apizza has a thin crust that varies between chewy and tender, depending on the particular establishment. It is baked in a coal- or wood-fired brick oven. Another characteristic of New Haven pizza is that the default version is a "white" pizza topped with only garlic and hard cheeses; if one wants tomato sauce and/or mozzarella cheese, one has to ask for them explicitly. The quintessential New Haven apizza is a white clam pie.

Use of the term "apizza" is mostly confined to the two pizzarias and the surrounding Italian-American enclave in New Haven, and is likely derived from the local Italian-American dialect. The dish is more widely known throughout the region as simply "New Haven pizza", as opposed to "New York pizza" which remains the dominant style of pizza-making throughout New England and the Mid-Atlantic states.

As someone who grew up in that Italian-American enclave I find it difficult to understand what peaople mean when they use the word pizza.

Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/04/06 11:03:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Parses6

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

Apizza (pronounced ah-BEETS) is a style of pizza common in New Haven, Connecticut. It originated at the Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana and is now served in many other pizzerias in the area, including Sally's Apizza and Modern Apizza.

Apizza has a thin crust that varies between chewy and tender, depending on the particular establishment. It is baked in a coal- or wood-fired brick oven. Another characteristic of New Haven pizza is that the default version is a "white" pizza topped with only garlic and hard cheeses; if one wants tomato sauce and/or mozzarella cheese, one has to ask for them explicitly. The quintessential New Haven apizza is a white clam pie.

Use of the term "apizza" is mostly confined to the two pizzarias and the surrounding Italian-American enclave in New Haven, and is likely derived from the local Italian-American dialect. The dish is more widely known throughout the region as simply "New Haven pizza", as opposed to "New York pizza" which remains the dominant style of pizza-making throughout New England and the Mid-Atlantic states.

As someone who grew up in that Italian-American enclave I find it difficult to understand what peaople mean when they use the word pizza.

Ewww Apizza sounds awful

[|)]
you obviously have underdeveloped taste buds. which could account for your propensity to eat Arby's.

geomotz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/04/06 11:40:50 (permalink)
I once ate at a place in Biarritz France where the 'Clam Pizza' came with a pile of clams, on the pizza, shells and all...very strange, and a lot of work.
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/04/06 11:44:23 (permalink)
I think the strangest pie topping I've heard of is raisins. Appearantly they retain heat and can really burn the roof of your mouth. I don't like cooked raisins, so I won't be a tester for this theory. (raisins straight out of the box are okay)

I like Thanksgiving pizza (mashed potatoes, stuffing, turkey, gravy,& mozzarrella cheese w/cranberry sauce on the side) I like spud pizza (deep dish crust, mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese, oniones, bacon, & mozzarella cheese) & I like BBQ sauce instead of tomato sauce on pizzas with bacon, ham, & pineapple as toppings! I also like Buffalo wing pizza (thin crust topped with a mixture of hotsauce and Blue cheese dressing, then mozzarella cheese & chicken pieces, and after it was cooked, chopped celery)

Okay, I've only worked in the pizza industry for 20 years as of April 22 this year... (for a couple of different chains) With a sojourn through Submarine sandwiches for fun!

Alice
Rev.Bucky
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/04/10 23:53:14 (permalink)
I was going to say corn and clams, or squid, and you all beat me to it.

But if you want srange pies, well I'm surprised nobody pointed this site out!!

http://www.chachich.com/mdchachi/jpizza.html

The squid ink pizza, and the one with Nori (seaweed) seem especially bizzarre to me!
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1