Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Strangest Toppings You've Run Across?

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 134
Sonny Funzio

• Total Posts: 902
RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Fri, 09/22/06 9:59 AM (permalink)
I'd be hard pressed to put broccoli on a pizza as a main topping. It would be like putting wax beans or cauliflower on one.

To find it on a pizza I suppose I wouldn't be surprized to find it maybe on a Chicago style pizza.

I once worked at a place that had a version of Coquille St Jacques (a scallop dish with a cream/wine/cheese sauce) that included broccoli in it ... that was quite popular ... So maybe a New York style pizza: (no tomato sauce) fresh garlic, then part mozzarella/part smoked provolone, & coquille st jacques with broccoli.

Sonny Funzio

RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Fri, 09/22/06 10:04 AM (permalink)
    How about raw fish ... actually one of my very favorites.

Well, salt-cured actually ... these would be canned anchovies; but I vastly prefer them *not* cooked on the pizza. I just put them on top at the table.

fhoran

• Total Posts: 185
      RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Sat, 09/23/06 4:27 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Sonny Funzio

Well, salt-cured actually ... these would be canned anchovies; but I vastly prefer them *not* cooked on the pizza. I just put them on top at the table.

I love anchovies too. I put them on after cooking as well because the whiners in my family who don't like them think they contaminate the rest of the pizza if cooked on it. Sheesh! Philistines, all of them! Fred

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
        RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Sat, 09/23/06 4:44 PM (permalink)
        Gotta have the anchovies!!!I, too have to put them on the pizza afterward as everyone claims they "swim"to their half while cooking!(I am sure they take over)I do have a brother in law (finally)that loves them so we share a pizza all to ourselves...

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
          RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Sat, 09/23/06 5:54 PM (permalink)

Visiting my brother in Wisconsin, we found what has been previously mentioned on page one at a place called Happy Joe's. That is, the spaghetti pizza. I was kind of doubtful about having a flour base topped with what would seem to be a lot of loose messy strands of pasta. The whole thing held together by virtue of the melted mozzarella on top and like all pizzas, it was better the next day.

While there, I have saw advertisements for a lasagna pizza from Pizza Hut(I think it was them), but have yet to see these ads here on the east coast. Has anybody seen these ads and is this a regional test market item? Corporate lasagna topping worries me.....

mark

Sonny Funzio

RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Mon, 09/25/06 1:19 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by annpeeples

Gotta have the anchovies!!!I, too have to put them on the pizza afterward as everyone claims they "swim"to their half while cooking!(I am sure they take over)I do have a brother in law (finally)that loves them so we share a pizza all to ourselves...

Originally posted by annpeeples

... Sheesh! Philistines, all of them! Fred

LOL, Ann and Fred
            I too have some friends that dislike anchovies (even the sight of them) ... like I tell 'em, wrong whine ... try the Chianti.

Ann, anchovies have brought my family closer together too.
            About 12 of my extended family were out to dinner one night. Upon seeing the bread-basket overflowing with hot breadsticks I quietly asked the waitress to bring me a large side of anchovies. When they came to the table, my brother's father-in-law, Frank, was absolutely electrified and made sure everyone knew that finally there was someone else at family gatherings who would back him up when it came to ordering the little fish. He was in good company and didn't know it because actually everyone from our side of the family (Italians) were anchovy fans anyway ... he was a happy guy.

Sandy Eggo

• Total Posts: 226
              RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Tue, 09/26/06 8:33 PM (permalink)
              Strangest toppings: Scallops, beets, asparagus, hearts of palm, hamburger, any fish, eggs, beans, rice and pasta.
              And yes, I'm in California and have seen all these terrible conconctions being foisted on the idiots here.

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
                RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Mon, 10/2/06 7:05 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by 6star

quote:
                Originally posted by caratzas

Found this menu this while reading up on Pete Fenson, the pizzeria-owning captain of the U.S. Olympic Curling team: http://www.nbcolympics.com/2005/1211/5073713_640X480.jpg

Note the topping choices include sauerkraut, pickles and something called a "Reuben Delight."

Now, for all I know a sauerkraut pizza is the tastiest thing in the world, but I have to admit I've never heard of it before today. It was kind of a relief to not see lutefisk as an option, especially as the restaurant's located in Bemidji, Minnesota.

What are some other unusual choices y'all have seen? They don't have to be gross, just weird.

Happy Joe's Pizza and Ice Cream ( http://www.happyjoes.com/menu/index.html ) offers pickles and sauerkraut, along with pineapple, lettuce, refried beans, barbecue sauce, alfredo sauce, mayonnaise and spaghetti. Here are some of their combinations:

Happy Joe's Special - Canadian bacon and sauerkraut. Sounds unusual, tastes great!

BBQ Joe - Your choice of hickory-smoked tender beef, chicken, or Canadian bacon in a tangy barbecue sauce, covered with 100% real mozzarella, provolone, and cheddar cheeses. The grand champion of barbeque!

Super Max - Beef, onions, and pickles on 100 percent real American cheese, topped with lettuce and tomatoes – a cheeseburger Italian style.

BLT (Bacon, lettuce, and tomato) - One of our most unique specialty pizzas. Hickory-smoked bacon and Canadian-style bacon topped with a variety of Happy Joe's special 100% real cheeses, baked to perfection, and topped with creamy mayonnaise, fresh lettuce, and red ripe tomatoes. Experience what everyone is talking about. Our BLT is awesome!

Vegetarian - Tomatoes, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, black olives, and sauerkraut.

Spaghetti Joe - Spaghetti on a pizza? Only Joe would have thought of this one! Spaghetti egg noodles, our famous garlic-herb butter, Italian spaghetti sauce with beef, smothered with 100% real mozzarella, provolone, and cheddar cheeses on our pan crust.

Chicken-Alfredo Pizza - Feeling a little nontraditional? Try a different pizza taste – our creamy, white Alfredo sauce, tender, succulent chicken, and a blend of 100% real cheeses to top it off, all blended together and baked until golden.

Canadian Bacon and Pineapple - Please specify BBQ sauce or regular sauce.

Taco Joe - Refried beans, taco-seasoned beef, and sausage, topped with fresh lettuce, tomatoes, and Happy Joe's own taco chips. Served with our Spicey Joe's taco sauce.

Matador - Refried beans, taco-seasoned beef, sausage, onions, and your choice of jalapeno peppers or mild chile peppers. Served with our Spicey Joe's taco sauce.

fhoran

• Total Posts: 185
                  RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Sat, 10/7/06 8:29 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by caratzas

Found this menu this while reading up on Pete Fenson, the pizzeria-owning captain of the U.S. Men's Olympic Curling team: http://www.nbcolympics.com/2005/1211/5073713_640X480.jpg

Note the topping choices include sauerkraut, pickles and something called a "Reuben Delight."

Now, for all I know a sauerkraut pizza is the tastiest thing in the world, but I have to admit I've never heard of it before today. It was kind of a relief to not see lutefisk as an option, especially as the restaurant's located in Bemidji, Minnesota.

What are some other unusual choices y'all have seen? They don't have to be gross, just weird.

(Edited 2/21 to specify Men's Curling team; after all, Women's Curling is a separate event!)

I had been trying for a couple of years to remember where I had a Reuben pizza and it was in Bemidji. It was pretty good too. My favorite is linguica and oil-cured black olives. Fred

Sonny Funzio

RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Sat, 10/7/06 2:29 PM (permalink)
                    We use black oil olives to make olives and eggs ... Mmmmmmm. Using them on pizza sounds like a great idea.

mollydingle

• Total Posts: 221
                      RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Sat, 10/7/06 3:54 PM (permalink)
                      I'm surprised that Sonny hasn't had black olives on his pizza, or did I misunderstand the post? Black olives and mushrooms (fresh) are awesome.
                      I don't do anchovies but my mother eats them like candy, given the opportunity...

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
                        RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Mon, 10/9/06 12:33 PM (permalink)
                        I don't think anyone's mentioned this one.

The Lynwood Cafe in Randolph, Mass., which is frequently included in ratings of best pizzas in metro Boston, makes baked bean pizza. A lot of people rave about it.

I haven't tried it. Has anyone?

Sonny Funzio

RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Mon, 10/9/06 3:36 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by mollydingle

I'm surprised that Sonny hasn't had black olives on his pizza, or did I misunderstand the post? Black olives and mushrooms (fresh) are awesome.
                          I don't do anchovies but my mother eats them like candy, given the opportunity...

Yes! I do love black olives on pizza (calamata and also the canned variety) ... but I've never tried the oil-olives on one ... sounds wonderful though.

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
                            RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Mon, 10/9/06 4:05 PM (permalink)
                            Calamata olives are my favorite. I brought a pasta salad into work today that contains olives and Cure 81 ham. One of our local pizza joints makes a greek chicken pizza with calamatas and a white sauce, superb.

spicoli

• Total Posts: 68
                              RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Tue, 10/10/06 6:20 PM (permalink)
                              In Japan - instead of tomato sauce, you get SQUID INK!!!

Some other strange topping combos....
                              http://www.chachich.com/mdchachi/jpizza.html

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
                                RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Thu, 10/12/06 9:00 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by spicoli

In Japan - instead of tomato sauce, you get SQUID INK!!!

Some other strange topping combos....
                                http://www.chachich.com/mdchachi/jpizza.html

mmmmmmm...i'll have some of that...not.

steveindurham

• Total Posts: 138
                                  RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Tue, 10/17/06 5:05 PM (permalink)
                                  Pies and Pints in Fayetteville, WV has some interesting toppings:

grapes
                                  Black beans

Check out the menu:

http://www.piesandpints.net/

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Tue, 10/17/06 5:37 PM (permalink)
                                    I would love to try everything mentioned in this thread! Man are yall makin me hungry! Did I already mention that I like smoked oysters on a pizza? If so, sorry.
                                    Joe

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
                                      RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Tue, 01/30/07 2:17 PM (permalink)
                                      Hello All,
                                      It may not be the strangest, but my wife made just cheese pizza the four nights ago.
                                      I don't like just cheese.
                                      So, I'm staring at leftover cheese pizza, hungry, very hungry.
                                      The first night I go on a hunt and destroy mission in the frig, discovering
                                      leftover sloppy joes meat. I put it on the cheese pizza and warm it up.
                                      It was not great, but okay.
                                      Then last night, I find leftover spaghetti, a meaty spaghetti, and it goes on
                                      the virgin cheese pizza. It tasted great.
                                      Would I make a pizza with these toppings? No, but in a moment of desperation
                                      I would do it again.
                                      Take Care,
                                      Fieldthistle

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
                                        RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Tue, 01/30/07 2:34 PM (permalink)
                                        I see the mac and cheese pizza has been mentioned. But, how about the baked potato pizza? There is a CiCi-esque place in town that features this. Thin sliced potatoes, butter, sour cream, bacon bits and cheese on a crust. Actually, not bad, put one slice is plenty for me.

rongmtek

• Total Posts: 503
                                          RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Tue, 01/30/07 2:40 PM (permalink)
                                          The absolute worst (and just plain WRONG) pizza I ever saw was in Los Angeles in the early 80's. A whole wheat crust topped with very thin lemon slices. I don't know if it had cheese and/or sauce of any kind, because I never got close enough to see!

thefoodguy

• Total Posts: 44
                                            RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Tue, 01/30/07 2:55 PM (permalink)
                                            My opinion....it really depends on the mood...
                                            sometimes I want just a pepperoni pie, other times I want the "house special"....
                                            I cant say which is better...just whatever I'm in the mood for at the time.

JMHO.

salsailsa

• Total Posts: 405
                                              RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Wed, 01/31/07 11:16 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by susanll

I see the mac and cheese pizza has been mentioned. But, how about the baked potato pizza? There is a CiCi-esque place in town that features this. Thin sliced potatoes, butter, sour cream, bacon bits and cheese on a crust. Actually, not bad, put one slice is plenty for me.

The potato/sour cream thing on pizza is a very French thing. They like to put creme fraiche(somewhat like sour cream) on pizza with lardons (similar to bacon) and thin gourmet potato slices. They had a lot of really weird but good combinations- I did not like the sliced gizzards on pizza, however.

If you haven't tried the sour cream topping- give it a whirl! It is REALLY good.

salsailsa

• Total Posts: 405
                                                RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Wed, 01/31/07 11:17 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Sonny Funzio

I think putting them on after is a better idea- I like anchovies but when they get further dehydrated on a cooked pizza, they are just WAY too salty for me.

Sonny Funzio

RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Wed, 01/31/07 12:24 PM (permalink)
                                                  Though I've never seen such a pizza, I think a gyros or souvlaki pizza would work.
                                                  I'd use pizza cheese with the addition of feta, and toppings of all-lamb gyros (precooked) or shredded lamb donar (lamb kabob) and red onions. I'd add honey to the pizza dough and make it a bit on the soft side. The tzatziki sauce (garlic-mint yogurt sauce) I'd put on at the table just before eating.
                                                  I think this would be good served with a greek salad.

FlippyTheRed

RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Wed, 01/31/07 12:36 PM (permalink)
                                                    How about the "Farmhouse Deluxe" from Pizza Hut in Hong Kong: Chicken, crab sticks, mushrooms and pineapple.

That's one versatile farm!

Awsi Dooger

• Total Posts: 23
                                                      RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Thu, 05/31/07 3:37 AM (permalink)
                                                      A big whole red tomato smack on top of our pizza. I just mentioned it in another thread. This was in Pisa, Italy, not far from the famous Leaning Tower. There was a language barrier so we just ordered a pizza and that's how it came.

magcentric

• Total Posts: 80
                                                        • Location: new york, NY
                                                        RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Wed, 06/18/08 11:26 AM (permalink)
                                                        That Mandarin oranges on pizza notion troubles me. Never tried it though.

fattybomatty

• Total Posts: 1017
                                                          • Location: North Plainfield, NJ
                                                          RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Wed, 06/18/08 11:37 AM (permalink)
                                                          I never got the salad on a pizza.

peanutluv

• Total Posts: 30
                                                            • Location: philadelphia, PA
                                                            RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? Wed, 06/18/08 12:21 PM (permalink)
                                                            In Northeast Philly where my Husband and I live.
                                                            We get the Spicy Tuna Pizza - flatbread round,raw tuna I think in citrus marinade,Siaracha mayo,scallions,and crunchy panko. Place is called Wasabi Sushi.

Another place close to us is Zeps - Armenian Cuisine. My brother and I got the Egg Pizza - cheese and sunny side up eggs. Really good and creamy.

At home we like to take thinly sliced zuccini sauted in garlic and throw it on pizza.

Stangest topping has to be this Old Bar The Hotel(Lansford,Pa) by my Gramma's house had their sewage drain dripping on their pizza maker.Yum! Scary Place. I have heard many storys about that Bar. Peanuts weren't the only thing in there machines. It's been ripped down for awhile now.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 134

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com