Strangest Toppings You've Run Across?

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
caratzas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 216
2006/02/20 18:17:30 (permalink)

Strangest Toppings You've Run Across?

Found this menu this while reading up on Pete Fenson, the pizzeria-owning captain of the U.S. Men's Olympic Curling team: http://www.nbcolympics.com/2005/1211/5073713_640X480.jpg*

Note the topping choices include sauerkraut, pickles and something called a "Reuben Delight."

Now, for all I know a sauerkraut pizza is the tastiest thing in the world, but I have to admit I've never heard of it before today. It was kind of a relief to not see lutefisk as an option, especially as the restaurant's located in Bemidji, Minnesota.

What are some other unusual choices y'all have seen? They don't have to be gross, just weird.

*UPDATE: Looks like the original link is shot. Here's a link to the menu direct from the Dave's Pizza web site: http://davespizza.biz/menu.php Looks like a "Reuben Delight" is salami, onions, sauerkraut and Swiss cheese.

Uh, yum?

(Edited 2/21 to specify Men's Curling team; after all, Women's Curling is a separate event!)

133 Replies Related Threads

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/20 19:39:16 (permalink)
    Carrots and broccoli at the Pizza Oasis in Portland, Oregon.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18625
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/20 20:15:17 (permalink)
    Pineapple and shrimp. Oh, and pepperoni is another strange one.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/20 20:24:54 (permalink)
    Mike. Why don't U like pepperoni?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/20 21:34:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Mike. Why don't U like pepperoni?

I like pepperoni on a sandwich or in an antipasto. Heck, I'll even munch on slices all by themselves. I just don't like it on a tomato pie. It was never something that was available on an apizza when I was growing up in New Haven. Really. Pepe's didn't have it, Sally's didn't have it and The Spot didn't have it. Heck even Papa Coppola's didn't have it.
    kman160
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/20 22:36:20 (permalink)
    wow!
    I wouldn't even consider a pizza without pepperoni
    none of that heathy stuff for me
    'roni & sausage
    the greasier the better
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/20 23:41:13 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    The strangest thing I've ever encountered on (or offered to be on) pizza is surely pineapple. Hey, I know Annette made a hit 45 record entitled "Pineapple Princess," but I have no desire to play a ukulele while I simultaneously eat pizza, and that's what that would entail.
    I guess if a person was out on a patio and accompanied by a plethora of torches (Hawaiian-style) it might make sense, but if ya really want to go Hawaiian with pizza, you gotta top it with Spam(R) or some acceptable substitute.
    My minions of scouts get back to me on all sorts of strange things, so I am now told that a place in North Wilkesboro, North Carolina will oh-so-gladly make you a livermush pizza, no eyebrows raised. I would have thought Shelby, N. C. was a more likely bet for such, but now that I am told, I will have to motor there to investigate. If the local constabulary decides that it is in the public interest to put me in a padded cell, I will endeavor to get back to y'all at my earliest convenience, Thorazine drip perhaps a viable option.
    Next I'll suggest eggplant pizza, but there's a limit to even my imagination.
    Flatly, Ort. Carlton in Less Chilly Athens, Georgia.
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 00:41:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman
    I like pepperoni on a sandwich or in an antipasto.... It was never something that was available on an apizza when I was growing up in New Haven. Really. Pepe's didn't have it, Sally's didn't have it and The Spot didn't have it. Heck even Papa Coppola's didn't have it.

Michael, what's funny is that today the idiosyncratic Pepe's* not only offers pepperoni as an option, but salami as well. Having grown up in the NYC metro area about 3 decades back before moving on to CT, I'm no stranger to 'roni on a pizza but as a topping salami's as foreign to me as pickles and 'kraut (though more understandable.)

And I've seen more than a few pepperoni pies delivered to other tables at Sally's, though I've never tried one myself. I guess despite their protestations, both establishments have had to change a bit with the times.

Come to think of it, Sally's occasionally offers the weird, but very delicious combination of sliced potatoes and rosemary with oil on a white pie. Another New Haven potato topping, but one which I'm not so crazy about, is the mashed potatoes offered by Bru Rm at BAR. I hear some vegetarians like that as a substitute for cheese, but it just doesn't work for me. In spite of that, BAR's more-conventional pies are right up there with the best NH has to offer.

*Let me nip the inevitable non-New Englander comments in the bud -- clams are not a weird topping!

Edited 2/21/06 to fix a typo.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 02:59:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by caratzas

Found this menu this while reading up on Pete Fenson, the pizzeria-owning captain of the U.S. Olympic Curling team: http://www.nbcolympics.com/2005/1211/5073713_640X480.jpg

Note the topping choices include sauerkraut, pickles and something called a "Reuben Delight."

Now, for all I know a sauerkraut pizza is the tastiest thing in the world, but I have to admit I've never heard of it before today. It was kind of a relief to not see lutefisk as an option, especially as the restaurant's located in Bemidji, Minnesota.

What are some other unusual choices y'all have seen? They don't have to be gross, just weird.

Happy Joe's Pizza and Ice Cream ( http://www.happyjoes.com/menu/index.html ) offers pickles and sauerkraut, along with pineapple, lettuce, refried beans, barbecue sauce, alfredo sauce, mayonnaise and spaghetti. Here are some of their combinations:

Happy Joe's Special - Canadian bacon and sauerkraut. Sounds unusual, tastes great!

BBQ Joe - Your choice of hickory-smoked tender beef, chicken, or Canadian bacon in a tangy barbecue sauce, covered with 100% real mozzarella, provolone, and cheddar cheeses. The grand champion of barbeque!

Super Max - Beef, onions, and pickles on 100 percent real American cheese, topped with lettuce and tomatoes – a cheeseburger Italian style.

BLT (Bacon, lettuce, and tomato) - One of our most unique specialty pizzas. Hickory-smoked bacon and Canadian-style bacon topped with a variety of Happy Joe's special 100% real cheeses, baked to perfection, and topped with creamy mayonnaise, fresh lettuce, and red ripe tomatoes. Experience what everyone is talking about. Our BLT is awesome!

Vegetarian - Tomatoes, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, black olives, and sauerkraut.

Spaghetti Joe - Spaghetti on a pizza? Only Joe would have thought of this one! Spaghetti egg noodles, our famous garlic-herb butter, Italian spaghetti sauce with beef, smothered with 100% real mozzarella, provolone, and cheddar cheeses on our pan crust.

Chicken-Alfredo Pizza - Feeling a little nontraditional? Try a different pizza taste – our creamy, white Alfredo sauce, tender, succulent chicken, and a blend of 100% real cheeses to top it off, all blended together and baked until golden.

Canadian Bacon and Pineapple - Please specify BBQ sauce or regular sauce.

Taco Joe - Refried beans, taco-seasoned beef, and sausage, topped with fresh lettuce, tomatoes, and Happy Joe's own taco chips. Served with our Spicey Joe's taco sauce.

Matador - Refried beans, taco-seasoned beef, sausage, onions, and your choice of jalapeno peppers or mild chile peppers. Served with our Spicey Joe's taco sauce.
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 03:39:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 6star

Happy Joe's Pizza and Ice Cream ( http://www.happyjoes.com/menu/index.html ) offers pickles and sauerkraut, along with pineapple, lettuce, refried beans, barbecue sauce, alfredo sauce, mayonnaise and spaghetti.
    I suspect how much I'd like some of these would depend on two things:
    • Are the toppings added to a traditional red pie with mozzarella cheese, or put on top of a plain crust?
    • Do they go on before or after the pie comes out of the oven?
    For example, if it goes on after the pie comes out of the oven, lettuce on a pizza doesn't sound that different from something that was popular in Westchester County, NY a few years ago (and for all I know still is) -- the "salad pizza." Pizzerias would bake a plain crust with sauce (but no cheese) take it out of the oven and let it cool a bit, and then top it with lettuce, tomato, oregano, maybe some garlic, onion, olives and/or grated parm/romano. Finally they'd dress it with oil and vinegar and serve it cold. We'd usually get at least one when ordering pizzas in at work.

The same goes for mayo as part of Joe's BLT, if the mayo, lettuce and ripe tomatoes go on the pie after it's cooked. Run that mayo through the oven, OTOH, and I suspect the dish may be better suited for Happy Ralph's.
    quote:
    Spaghetti on a pizza? Only Joe would have thought of this one!
    Maybe, maybe not. I remember baked ziti pizza being popular in Westchester in the early '90s. Again, it still may be available there; the pizza options in SW CT are simpler (and usually better!)
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 04:45:48 (permalink)
    Ahhh...Salad Pizza. Since Anna Maria's closed down their 3 stores in Manhattan, I haven't had a decent salad slice. Theirs was exceptional (dough, sauce, lettuce, tomato, roated peppers, no cheese). They also had great ziti pizza and lasagne pizza. I miss Anna Maria's.
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 05:21:49 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    The first wife put sardines on pizza.
    She is gone and so are sardines on pizza.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    laststandchili
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 07:45:28 (permalink)
    Spent most of 1990 in Central America. Most pizza places down there offer thin slices of potato on their pies. Tried it. Didn't like it. I guess potatos are kind of a novelty in the tropics, but I'd have rather seen plantains.

Vayo con Queso
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 12:54:57 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    I like pepperoni on a sandwich or in an antipasto.... It was never something that was available on an apizza when I was growing up in New Haven. Really. Pepe's didn't have it, Sally's didn't have it and The Spot didn't have it. Heck even Papa Coppola's didn't have it.

Michael, what's funny is that today the idiosyncratic Pepe's not only offers pepperoni as an option, but salami as well. Having grown up in the NYC metro area about 3 decades back before moving on to CT, I'm no stranger to 'roni on a pizza but as a topping salami's as foreign to me as pickles and 'kraut (though more understandable.)

And I've seen more than a few pepperoni pies delivered to other tables at Sally's, though I've never tried one myself. I guess despite their protestations, both establishments have had to change a bit with the times.

Come to think of it, Sally's occasionally offers the weird, but very delicious combination of sliced potatoes and rosemary with oil on a white pie. Another New Haven potato topping, but one which I'm not so crazy about, is the mashed potatoes offered by Bru Rm at BAR. I hear some vegetarians like that as a substitute for cheese, but it just doesn't work for me. In spite of that, BAR's more-conventional pies are right up there with the best NH has to offer.

*Let me nip the inevitable non-New Englander comments in the bud -- clams are not a weird topping!

I can remember salami as common on pies made at home. The same was true of potatoes. But I remember the pies with potatoes as also having onions and rosemary.

I thought I read recently in the Register that there was a fire at Bar. Is it open again?
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 13:18:42 (permalink)
    My favorite local place, Americana Pizzaria has the largest list of toppings I have ever seen. Two types of pepperoni; regular or "cup and char", regular black or calamata olives, every veggie known to man, and several different cheeses including ricotta or feta. Also offer a choice of three sauces; regular tomato,white (olive oil w/garlic) and pesto. We usually order a pie with regular sauce and mozz cheese, spinach, chopped tomatoes, feta cheese, and sometimes anchovies and roasted red peppers.

As for unusual pies, check out the menu on this site for Great Northern Pizza. It is a local business with two locations, but they are looking into expanding with franchises. Unusual pies like southwestern chicken, chicken cordon bleu, sauced up Buffalo (buffalo wing pizza), chicken and artichoke pesto, potato skin pie, black bean taco, mac & cheese, meaty lasagna, baked eggplant. You'll have to check it out to believe it. And, their pies actually are very good.

http://www.greatnorthernpizza.com/index.htm
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 13:22:30 (permalink)
    Nothing surprises me anymore with what they put on pizza after a spaghetti pie,a BBQ pie a dessert pie, what else can top it?
    Kenny da Fat Man
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 13:32:57 (permalink)
    I was in Hawaii (North Shore of Oahu) and was in a little roadside joint that offered kelp & cuttlefish as pizza toppings. I DID NOT partake. I have eaten dried cuttlefish as well as kelp, just not on my pizza.
    10X10
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 87
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 13:35:25 (permalink)
    Tuna Fish! Never could understand it. Anchovies or clams I can understand, but when friends would order Sorrento's special "tonnato" pizza, it always perplexed me. It's like, "Lox and Eggs", what's up with that?
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 13:37:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    I can remember salami as common on pies made at home. The same was true of potatoes. But I remember the pies with potatoes as also having onions and rosemary.

I thought I read recently in the Register that there was a fire at Bar. Is it open again?

Sally's potato pie definitely has rosemary, but I don't remember onions -- not saying they aren't there, just that I don't remember them. Since my memory can be far from perfect, this sounds like a good excuse to go do some delicious research.

Wow on the fire -- totally missed that. Anyway, the good news is that the message board on BAR's website says they're open again (as of the 19th.)
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4593
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 13:44:33 (permalink)
    In Cincinnati, it is unusual to see fresh garlic and/or basil as an available pizza topping, although I have heard it is all but expected in NYC and other eastern pizzerias
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 13:51:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 10X10

Tuna Fish! Never could understand it. Anchovies or clams I can understand, but when friends would order Sorrento's special "tonnato" pizza, it always perplexed me. It's like, "Lox and Eggs", what's up with that?

What's up with lox and eggs? Are you kidding?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 13:53:49 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Sally's potato pie definitely has rosemary, but I don't remember onions -- not saying they aren't there, just that I don't remember them. Since my memory can be far from perfect, this sounds like a good excuse to go do some delicious research.

Wow on the fire -- totally missed that. Anyway, the good news is that the message board on BAR's website says they're open again (as of the 19th.)

Oh, I wasn't referring to Sally's. I was talking about the pies made with potatoes, onions and rosemary at home. Still I applaud your willingness to do the necessary research.
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 14:06:03 (permalink)
    quote:

It's like, "Lox and Eggs", what's up with that?
    quote:

Amen, Brother Hoffman.

10x10,

What's up with Lox and Eggs, (my favorite is the LEO -- lox, eggs and onions) is that it's a tasty dish if, like me, you like that kind of stuff. Personally, I can't understand how many people find the idea of a tall, cold glass of milk appealing. Almost nothing skeeves me out more. To each his own.

One of the most wonderful things about food is that sometimes "sounds gross" doesn't always mean "tastes gross." And personal tastes can change. Hey, I never liked tuna melts until a couple of years ago -- now I do. Even though tuna pizza sounds gross to me, too, it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be kind of tasty after all. A lot would depend on what kind of tuna they use and what else is on the pie -- how does Sorrento's do it (and which Sorrento's are we talking about?)

Edited to give props to the choir, and also request pizzeria location.
    10X10
    Hamburger
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 15:22:19 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Just could never do it...my father and the guy's at M&T's are rolling in their graves, but hot nova, or worse hot belly lox just sent my senses reeling.
    10X10
    Hamburger
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 15:34:31 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

Amen, Brother Hoffman.

10x10,

What's up with Lox and Eggs, (my favorite is the LEO -- lox, eggs and onions) is that it's a tasty dish if, like me, you like that kind of stuff. Personally, I can't understand how many people find the idea of a tall, cold glass of milk appealing. Almost nothing skeeves me out more. To each his own.

One of the most wonderful things about food is that sometimes "sounds gross" doesn't always mean "tastes gross." And personal tastes can change. Hey, I never liked tuna melts until a couple of years ago -- now I do. Even though tuna pizza sounds gross to me, too, it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be kind of tasty after all. A lot would depend on what kind of tuna they use and what else is on the pie -- how does Sorrento's do it (and which Sorrento's are we talking about?)

If my memory serves me Sorrento's was just off the corner of Dixwell and Whalley. They would take tuna, the olive oil it was packed in, garlic and parsley and back it like it was a white clam pie. It always seemed and quite frankly tasted a bit odd. So, when of my favorite(bacon and sausage) and my dis-favorite(As discussed)pie toppings I would respond accordingly.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 15:43:46 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Amen, Brother Hoffman.

10x10,

If my memory serves me Sorrento's was just off the corner of Dixwell and Whalley. They would take tuna, the olive oil it was packed in, garlic and parsley and back it like it was a white clam pie. It always seemed and quite frankly tasted a bit odd. So, when of my favorite(bacon and sausage) and my dis-favorite(As discussed)pie toppings I would respond accordingly.

I don't remember Sorrento's and I haven't been in New Haven in a few years, but as a native of New Haven who also lived out Dixwell Avenue in Hamden, I can't seem to remember Whalley and Dixwell ever actually meeting at any corner. There was always that miserable Goffe Street sticking its nose in between the two of them.
    10X10
    Hamburger
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 15:47:55 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Amen, Brother Hoffman.

10x10,

I don't remember Sorrento's and I haven't been in New Haven in a few years, but as a native of New Haven who also lived out Dixwell Avenue in Hamden, I can't seem to remember Whalley and Dixwell ever actually meeting at any corner. There was always that miserable Goffe Street sticking its nose in between the two of them.

I have been away for over 30 yrs as well, but maybe it was Whitney Ave.
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 17:17:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    I have been away for over 30 yrs as well, but maybe it was Whitney Ave.

Ding! This review says they used to be in Hamden on the corner of Skiff and Whitney: http://www.ctnow.com/dining/5645,0,1600708.venue

It looks like they've moved a hair down Skiff towards Lee Partyka (zoom in): http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&hs=X5e&lr=&c2coff=1&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=sorrento%27s&near=Hamden,+CT&sa=X&oi=localr

Been by there a million times and never noticed it; sounds it's like time to check it out. Here's their website (Good news 10x10 -- Tuna's still on the menu! ):
    http://nearhome.com/ct/hamden/sorrentos/
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 18:07:13 (permalink)
    I certainly remember Skiff and Whitney. As I recall I used to ride my bike down Skiff to a bridge over Lake Whitney to fish for eels. I lived right off Dixwell (Weybosset Ave.)just the other side of the Wilbur Cross (which wasn't there at the time) from Hamden High. But I don't remember a Sorrento's. It must have been after I moved from New Haven in 1965.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Strangest Toppings You've Run Across? 2006/02/21 18:44:57 (permalink)
    Basic Pizza Margherita for me, please. Oh but a small side of sauce to use for dipping.
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1