Strata , Anyone tried it.

Author
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
2003/12/26 09:27:05 (permalink)

Strata , Anyone tried it.

Recently my girlfriend and I caught an episode of America's test kitchen on PBS. One of the dishes featured was called Strata. Simply put its layers of stuff. The number of layers is optional and the ingredients may be varied according to taste. We (She) did the one from the show. A layer of dry bread, (french, italian or country loaf), a mixture of spinach, half and half, and grated gruyere plus some white wine like a sauvignon blanc, all mixed with beaten eggs. Then simply repeat the bread layer and egg mixture to build the dish. Its probably a variation of a simple quiche. You then compress the layers by weighing it down in the fridge. Bake at 350 for an hour, if it is left overnight in the fridge. It tasted great. Next time I would add, crumbled sausage or ham or bacon and maybe even left over homefries in one of the layers.

20 Replies Related Threads

RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2003/12/27 13:26:11 (permalink)
    Howard, these have been around for years but are usually called Breakfast Casseroles or sometimes Mock Quiche. You can find variations in nearly every community cookbook.

Our family calls them Breakfast Puffs and ours are usually sausage, cheddar and onion or mushroom, spinach, leek and Swiss cheese.
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2003/12/27 14:01:17 (permalink)
    Sounds simple and yummy! Can anyone post the basic recipe here? I'd probably end up making it for brunch in the weekends!
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2003/12/27 18:50:04 (permalink)
    This is verbatim from the site, http://www.americastestkitchen.com:

Breakfast Strata with Spinach and Gruyère

Makes one 8 by 8-inch strata, serving 6

To weigh down the assembled strata, use two 1-pound boxes of brown or powdered sugar, laid side by side over the plastic-covered surface. To double this recipe or those that follow, use a 9 by 13-inch baking dish greased with only 11/2 tablespoons butter and increase baking times as suggested in each recipe.

8–10 (1/2-inch thick) slices supermarket French or Italian bread (6–7 ounces)
    5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    4 medium shallots, minced (about 1/2 cup)
    1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    Salt and ground black pepper
    1/2 cup medium-dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
    6 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated (about 11/2 cups)
    6 large eggs
    1 3/4 cups half-and-half

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 225 degrees. Arrange bread in single layer on large baking sheet and bake until dry and crisp, about 40 minutes, turning slices over halfway through drying time. (Alternatively, leave slices out overnight to dry.) When cooled, butter slices on one side with 2 tablespoons butter; set aside.

2. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sauté shallots until fragrant and translucent, about 3 minutes; add spinach and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring occasionally, until combined, about 2 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl; set aside. Add wine to skillet, increase heat to medium-high, and simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup, 2 to 3 minutes; set aside.

3. Butter 8-inch square baking dish with remaining 1 tablespoon butter; arrange half of buttered bread slices, buttered-side up, in single layer in dish. Sprinkle half of spinach mixture, then 1/2 cup grated cheese evenly over bread slices. Arrange remaining bread slices in single layer over cheese; sprinkle remaining spinach mixture and another 1/2 cup cheese evenly over bread. Whisk eggs in medium bowl until combined; whisk in reduced wine, half-and-half, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread layers; cover surface flush with plastic wrap, weigh down (see note, above), and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to overnight.

4. Remove dish from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature 20 minutes. Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Uncover strata and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese evenly over surface; bake until both edges and center are puffed and edges have pulled away slightly from sides of dish, 50 to 55 minutes (or about 60 minutes for doubled recipe). Cool on wire rack 5 minutes; serve.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2003/12/28 09:45:23 (permalink)
    My absolute favorite strata recipe -- and one, as both a son and husband, I've lovingly made for Mother's Day for years -- is what's called Swedish Egg Strata and is detailed in the Junior League of Rochester's (NY) 1981 cookbook (see other thread) "Applehood & Motherpie." The best thing (in addition to the ease of preparation) about this particular recipe is that unlike other strata dishes (like the spinach and Gruyere one above), is that it doesn't require overnight refrigeration. Here it is:

Swedish Egg Strata
    (Six servings)

2 cups plain croutons
    4 eggs, slightly beaten
    2 cups milk
    1 cup (4 oz.) grated Cheddar cheese
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. prepared mustard
    1/4 cup minced green pepper
    2 tblspn. chopped scallions
    4 slices bacon, fried crisp & crumbled

1. Sprinkle croutons on bottom of a greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
    2. Mix eggs, milk, cheese, salt and mustard. Pour over croutons.
    3. Sprinkle top with green pepper, scallions and bacon. Bake.

Temperature: 350-degrees (f)
    Time: 55-60 minutes

Enjoy !!
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2003/12/28 16:10:54 (permalink)
    We had this for our Christmas breakfast and it was terrific!
    The Bayou Bend Brunch Casserole

1/2 large loaf day old French bread, torn into small pieces
    3 tbs. melted butter
    1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
    1/3 lb. Genoa salami, julienned
    10 eggs
    1 1/2 cups milk (whole)
    1/3 cup white wine
    3 large green onions, minced
    2 tsp Dijon mustard
    1/8 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
    1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (Beth uses fresh)

1. In a well greased 9x13-inch casserole dish, spread bread pieces
    over bottom and drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with Monterey jack
    cheese and salami pieces.
    2. Beat together eggs, milk, wine, green onions, mustard and black and
    red pepper until mixture is frothy. Pour mixture over bread mixture.
    Cover casserole with foil and refrigerate overnight.
    3. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake covered,
    at 325 degrees F for 1 hour.
    4. Uncover, spread with sour cream and sprinkle with parmesan
    cheese. Bake uncovered an additional 10 minutes, until lightly
    browned.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2003/12/29 04:35:15 (permalink)
    So easy and good! I usually make it with crustless wonder bread, asparagus, ham, and swiss cheese. Anything to keep me from getting up early to make breakfast!
    i95
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2003/12/29 19:38:18 (permalink)
    Then what would I use on the Slip n' Slide ??
    i95
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2003/12/29 19:39:46 (permalink)
    And another thing clothier, how about that 1,000th post ??? What are you waiting for?
    starrleicht
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2004/01/11 16:10:30 (permalink)
    Here's a healthy Strata recipe:

Hash Brown Strata
    A strata (Italian for "layered") is an egg-and-bread casserole. In this recipe, frozen hash browns substitute for the bread.

Ingredients:
    Nonstick cooking spray
    2 cups frozen loose-pack diced hash brown potatoes with onion and peppers
    1 cup cut broccoli florets
    1/3 cup finely chopped turkey bacon or turkey ham (about 2 ounces)
    1/3 cup evaporated fat-free milk
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 8-ounce cartons refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
    1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
    1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    Fresh basil sprigs (optional)

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Lightly coat a 2-quart square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange hash brown potatoes and broccoli in bottom of baking dish; top with turkey bacon or ham. Set aside.

Stir milk gradually into flour in a medium bowl. Stir in egg product, half of the cheese, the snipped or dried basil, and black pepper. Pour egg mixture over vegetables.

Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for five minutes. If desired, garnish with fresh basil sprigs.

Recipe makes six main-dish servings.

Make-ahead Tip: Assemble as above, but do not bake. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours. Before serving, remove cover and bake as directed above.

Nutritional information per serving:
    Calories: 152
    Fat: 4g
    Cholesterol: 14mg
    Sodium: 359mg
    Carbohydrates: 14g
    Fiber: 3
    Protein: 13g
    Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1/2 Lean Meat

Source: http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/db/db06.html
    carlton pierre
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2004/10/24 05:29:33 (permalink)
    I don't recall seeing strata served in a restaurant. Anyone? But I've made it (thank you for the recipes) and it is a breakfast classic IMO. Great for company.

carl reitz
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2004/10/24 07:02:50 (permalink)
    I've seen it in a few breakfast buffet lines here and there---including an especially good one in a place in Barstow whose name escapes me--but it was great!
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2004/10/24 11:06:12 (permalink)
    Here are lots of recipe possibilities:
    http://www.bbonline.com/recipe/casseroles-breakfast.html
    ericats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2004/10/24 11:31:54 (permalink)
    I've had great success with a recipe from Gourmet Magazine. Go on www.epicurious.com and do a search for "vegetable and cheese strata." Also, if you do a search for just "strata" 14 other recipes will come up.

I've been making the veg & cheese strata for many years and it is always a big hit at my brunches.
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2005/01/05 16:22:00 (permalink)
    Cheese strata was a not very popular item in my HS cafeteria in the 60's, made with bread, eggs and some sort of bland cheese (maybe government surplus.
    The breakfast casseroles at Cracker Barrel are forms of strata.
    Rapunzll
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2005/01/05 16:45:28 (permalink)
    My mom used to make this. Just thinking about it makes me ill. No offense. I just hate the stuff!
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2005/01/06 15:49:25 (permalink)
    The recipes from America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated are really great!
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2005/01/06 23:39:48 (permalink)
    we used to serve "strata" as a brunch dish ( the " vegitarian option")at a restaurant where i was cooking. we'd saute a bunch of veggies and & layer that with cheeses , bread and lots of eggs and heavy cream and seasonings.
    Ive made a version of it at home but i like to add bacon or sausage for more flavour.
    dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2005/01/08 19:35:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by shaynas_mom

This is verbatim from the site, http://www.americastestkitchen.com:

Breakfast Strata with Spinach and Gruyère

Makes one 8 by 8-inch strata, serving 6

To weigh down the assembled strata, use two 1-pound boxes of brown or powdered sugar, laid side by side over the plastic-covered surface. To double this recipe or those that follow, use a 9 by 13-inch baking dish greased with only 11/2 tablespoons butter and increase baking times as suggested in each recipe.

8–10 (1/2-inch thick) slices supermarket French or Italian bread (6–7 ounces)
    5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    4 medium shallots, minced (about 1/2 cup)
    1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    Salt and ground black pepper
    1/2 cup medium-dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
    6 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated (about 11/2 cups)
    6 large eggs
    1 3/4 cups half-and-half

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 225 degrees. Arrange bread in single layer on large baking sheet and bake until dry and crisp, about 40 minutes, turning slices over halfway through drying time. (Alternatively, leave slices out overnight to dry.) When cooled, butter slices on one side with 2 tablespoons butter; set aside.

2. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sauté shallots until fragrant and translucent, about 3 minutes; add spinach and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring occasionally, until combined, about 2 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl; set aside. Add wine to skillet, increase heat to medium-high, and simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup, 2 to 3 minutes; set aside.

3. Butter 8-inch square baking dish with remaining 1 tablespoon butter; arrange half of buttered bread slices, buttered-side up, in single layer in dish. Sprinkle half of spinach mixture, then 1/2 cup grated cheese evenly over bread slices. Arrange remaining bread slices in single layer over cheese; sprinkle remaining spinach mixture and another 1/2 cup cheese evenly over bread. Whisk eggs in medium bowl until combined; whisk in reduced wine, half-and-half, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread layers; cover surface flush with plastic wrap, weigh down (see note, above), and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to overnight.

4. Remove dish from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature 20 minutes. Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Uncover strata and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese evenly over surface; bake until both edges and center are puffed and edges have pulled away slightly from sides of dish, 50 to 55 minutes (or about 60 minutes for doubled recipe). Cool on wire rack 5 minutes; serve.

dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2005/01/08 19:36:53 (permalink)
    oops, I meant to comment that a cup or so of artichoke hearts would be great in the previous recipe.
    Mark in Ohio
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 181
    RE: Strata , Anyone tried it. 2005/01/24 09:41:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by howard8

Recently my girlfriend and I caught an episode of America's test kitchen on PBS. One of the dishes featured was called Strata. Simply put its layers of stuff. The number of layers is optional and the ingredients may be varied according to taste. We (She) did the one from the show. A layer of dry bread, (french, italian or country loaf), a mixture of spinach, half and half, and grated gruyere plus some white wine like a sauvignon blanc, all mixed with beaten eggs. Then simply repeat the bread layer and egg mixture to build the dish. Its probably a variation of a simple quiche. You then compress the layers by weighing it down in the fridge. Bake at 350 for an hour, if it is left overnight in the fridge. It tasted great. Next time I would add, crumbled sausage or ham or bacon and maybe even left over homefries in one of the layers.

Our hospital cafeteria serves strata for breakfast every Tuesday morning, it is
    made by Stouffer's and is actually quite good.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1