The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Strawberry flavored treats from outastate!

Eric B

• Total Posts: 103
Strawberry flavored treats from outastate! Sun, 06/10/07 8:42 PM (permalink)
From NYC, took a day trip to Philly yesterday, and hoped maybe I would see some interesting Tastykake products. We have them in NY, mostly by third party distributors, but they don't usually have all the products you see when you cross the Hudson. So while I was on my way back, and waiting for the train at N Phila. I stopped into the Pathmark there, and not only did I find Strawberry iced Krimpets, but also Strawberry Mini Moon Pies (which are not Tastykake, of course). Never seen anything like these in NY, (including a Mini sized Moon pie altogether) so I grabbed the family pack of both.

Interesting, but still nothing like the Strawberry Shake Cake made by Campbell Taggart nearly 20 years ago. (Campbell Taggart has become Earth Grains, and is now owned by Sara Lee, and it seems that Rainbo and Colonial bread are either discontinued, but you can still find bakery stores for them on online yellow pages, and Break Cake, seems to be completely gone now. You can't even find it on searches. (Wouldn't ie be nice if Sarah Lee then started making the Shake Cakes, as I remember from my cildhood, them making Vanilla Chocolate and Strawberry iced cupcakes).

Tastykake also had graham craker crusted vanilla pudding pies. I had gotten enough "junk", so passed up those.

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
    RE: Strawberry flavored treats from outastate! Mon, 06/11/07 5:44 PM (permalink)
    Well, NYC does have those light yellow moon pies somewhere, no?

Eric B

• Total Posts: 103
      RE: Strawberry flavored treats from outastate! Tue, 06/12/07 8:40 PM (permalink)
      They show up occasionally. Usually in some non-NY based chain, like 7 Eleven or a gas station market. If you're really lucky, you can find a vanilla one. But they're not really a big thing here. We used to have Mello Party Pies instead, but I haven't noticed those anywhere for quite a while. Basically, we have the Little Debbie marshmallow pies (yellow or chocolate).

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com