Stroud's - Kansas City

Author
swkreiter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
2008/09/10 10:06:20 (permalink)

Stroud's - Kansas City

I was visiting KC a few weeks ago and my brother took me to the newest Stroud's on Shawnee Mission Parkway in Fairway, KS (the original is in KC, MO). They call themselves "The Home of P-A-N Fried Chicken". Don't know why it's spelled out, but they do apparently pan-fry their chicken, as opposed to deep-frying it. We split a "Regular Dinner" which included one each of a leg, thigh, wing and breast. Also included salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, string beans on the side, and cinnamon rolls for dessert. About $25 total. The pieces of chicken were huge and done to a turn. Crispy and crunchy outside, tender and juicy inside. Well seasoned. The potatoes were very good, too. Beans and cinnamon rolls so-so. If you're in the KC area and longing for good fried chicken, check out Stroud's. Good value for the money.

10 Replies Related Threads

californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: Stroud's - Kansas City 2008/09/10 10:13:00 (permalink)
    I have read about Strouds for years mainly from the Sterns...if I ever get out that way again it will be a must stop...your description sounds great as all write ups on Strouds seem to be
    Sfreader
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Stroud's - Kansas City 2008/09/26 17:47:56 (permalink)
    I've visited the new location 3 or 4 times. http://www.kansastravel.org/stroudsfairway.htm has my review and several photos.

The wait for a table is nothing like it was earlier in the year, but if you find there is going to ben an excessive wait, Granny's Chicken Ranch at the Legends in Kansas City, Kanas is a good alternative.

Keith
    southjerseymichigan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re:Stroud's - Kansas City 2009/08/21 13:42:17 (permalink)
    Reading this it occurs to me that there is/was another pan fried chicken place in K.C. It's on Southwestern just w. of Broadway. Can't remember the name but it believe it was Aunt Somebody or other's.

My favorite places for fried chicken in K.C. were Furr's/Bishop's - now gone. Sydney's Diner - now gone. and the Power Plant in Parkville used to make wonderful fried chicken for their Sunday buffet, not certain if they still do.

Hen House was o.k. but McKeever's Price Chopper's out do them (Parkville, Independence, and I've heard they have some in Platte City and further north). Not all Price Chopper's are McKeever's - most are Ball or Consentino (GROSSLY overpriced), some are independent. if in a McKeever's, be SURE to try their bread. They use the same bakery as V's Restaurant in Independence, and they make WONDERFUL Italian and pumpernickel bread in particular, among other flavors. Gannola or something like that makes their dough for them.
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    Re:Stroud's - Kansas City 2009/08/25 09:12:08 (permalink)
    The chicken place on Southwest Blvd. has been gone for a number of years. It was in the old Antoine's on the Blvd. spot, I believe. 

One of the best places for fried chicken in KC was Granny's on Broadway. Meirhoff's, also on Broadway was very good. Both places had cooks who had also worked at Strouds and Mrs. Peter's in KCK.
    Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Stroud's - Kansas City 2009/08/25 10:18:05 (permalink)
    I miss Boots and Coates. RC's in Martin City used to have good chicken, as well; in the 1970s, RC's was just about as popular a restaurant as was Stroud's.
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 475
    Re:Stroud's - Kansas City 2009/08/26 12:02:01 (permalink)
    We just went to Stroud's for the first time last week while in KC - it was amazing, pics to be included once I can get my trip report finished. Truly amazing chicken.
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    Re:Stroud's - Kansas City 2009/08/26 12:43:05 (permalink)
    I'll be looking forward to your report, TnTinCT. Could be dangerous, though. I've been avoiding Stroud's for some time now, I may not be able to resist any longer. :-)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4208
    Re:Stroud's - Kansas City 2009/08/26 13:03:39 (permalink)
    Bill B.

I miss Boots and Coates. RC's in Martin City used to have good chicken, as well; in the 1970s, RC's was just about as popular a restaurant as was Stroud's.

Bill, we met some friends for dinner at RC's a couple years ago when Stroud's was in between buildings.  Let's just say that our meal that night made us miss Stroud's more than ever.  Whatever glories RC's may have achieved in the 70s are behind them now.

Buddy
    Sfreader
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:Stroud's - Kansas City 2009/09/18 11:32:44 (permalink)
    I was by Stroud's south location about 3 weeks ago and delighted to find that there was no waiting line on a week night.  That is bad for them, but a big improvement for customers.

Keith
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4614
    Re:Stroud's - Kansas City 2009/09/18 11:36:18 (permalink)
    zataar

The chicken place on Southwest Blvd. has been gone for a number of years. It was in the old Antoine's on the Blvd. spot, I believe. 

One of the best places for fried chicken in KC was Granny's on Broadway. Meirhoff's, also on Broadway was very good. Both places had cooks who had also worked at Strouds and Mrs. Peter's in KCK.

we used to go to Meirhoff's after work when I worked at 36th & Main. Good memories.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1