The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Thu, 10/18/07 3:19 PM (permalink)

http://www.kansascity.com/382/story/322626.html
Search for new Stroud's location ends in Fairway
By JOYCE SMITH
The Kansas City Star

Stroud’s will be frying up its famous chicken south of the river again, but this time in Kansas.

Restaurant owner Mike Donegan, who has spent nearly two years searching for the perfect location, said today he has found it at the former Breadmaker spot at 4200 Shawnee Mission Parkway in Fairway. The 5,900-square-foot space will be remodeled to look as close to the original Stoud’s location as possible and is scheduled to open in two or three months.

Stroud’s ended its seven-decade run in its original roadhouse location on New Year’s Eve 2005. The old buckled building was at 1015 E. 85th St., in the shadows of a Troost Avenue bridge. But the building had to be torn down to make way for a new bridge and a wider Troost Avenue. A deal last year to take over Snead’s Bar-B-Q at 171st and Holmes Road, fell through.
cont....

Voyageur

RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Thu, 10/18/07 3:31 PM (permalink)
    Joy of joys. Go Stroud's!

Also really liked Mrs. Peters' Chicken Dinners on the Kansas side, but it sadly closed.

Tdybr27

• Total Posts: 92
      RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Thu, 10/18/07 5:29 PM (permalink)
      darn you, you beat me to posting this! I can't wait until it opens. I can't remember right now what's in that spot or was in that spot.

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
        RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Thu, 10/18/07 6:24 PM (permalink)
        It was a Mexican restaurant.
        Dang, Stroud's is going to be 7. 75 minutes away from my house!

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
          RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Thu, 10/18/07 8:42 PM (permalink)
          I've been hurt too many times by false hopes. First the old fire station at 85th & Holmes, then Snead's, and now the promise of a Mission Parkway location just over State Line Road.

Forgive me, but I'll celebrate when the doors open "in two or three months." Hmm...I could be celebrating during our KC Christmas trip!

Buddy

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
            RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Thu, 10/18/07 10:17 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by zataar

It was a Mexican restaurant.

Luuuukkkkyyyy!!!

Man, oh Man. Now they just need a Stroud's waayy over on the West side....Like, say, around Phoenix?

DD

Voyageur

RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Thu, 10/18/07 11:14 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              darn you, you beat me to posting this!

Sorry about that!

I can't wait for the opening either. That awesomely fantastic food combined with the old south side atmosphere.

quote:

Worth a ticket to make that 6.75!

Barney

• Total Posts: 115
                RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Fri, 10/19/07 2:58 PM (permalink)
                Lived in Weston MO back in early 80's and ate several times at Mrs. Peters fried chicken place which was great! Back in the mid 90's got acquainted with Stroud's and I believe that was the best fried chicken, taters, gravy, beans I have ever eaten. Just hoping to make a trip out there if it opens again. Bring on that fabulous chicken!!! Loved their homemade chicken noodle soup, too! Barney

CNW

• Total Posts: 182
                  RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Fri, 10/19/07 11:16 PM (permalink)
                  I drove by the new location today. Nothing happening yet. As far as a timeline goes, I will be very suprised if they are open before 1/15/08. I have a picture of the new location but I can't figure out how to post it.

Cnw

Tdybr27

• Total Posts: 92
                    RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Sat, 10/20/07 9:49 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Barney

Lived in Weston MO back in early 80's and ate several times at Mrs. Peters fried chicken place which was great! Back in the mid 90's got acquainted with Stroud's and I believe that was the best fried chicken, taters, gravy, beans I have ever eaten. Just hoping to make a trip out there if it opens again. Bring on that fabulous chicken!!! Loved their homemade chicken noodle soup, too! Barney

You do know that there is a second Stroud's north of the river, correct?

Sfreader

• Total Posts: 503
                      RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Tue, 11/20/07 5:26 PM (permalink)
                      Buddy, I don't think it is false hopes this time. Last week, the Fairway City Council approved a measure that will reimburse the restaurant for $200,000 of the city's 1 percent sales tax collected from the restaurant.

Though I was holding out hope for them to go into the space the Machine Shed vacated in Olathe next to Oklahoma Joes.

Keith

BuddyRoadhouse

RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Tue, 11/20/07 11:08 PM (permalink)
                        What does the remodeling progress look like? Have they started working yet? We'll be in town for Christmas, December 20th through the 30th. Ya think we'll be able to get dinner there? Or will we need to visit the Manor House location?

Buddy

CNW

RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Tue, 11/20/07 11:42 PM (permalink)
                          Buddy,

According to the staff at the North location it will be at least the middle of Jan before it is open. He is doing some interior remodeling. Demexifing it, getting rid of the fake Mission feel to the interior. I have seen several dumpsters of construction debris sitting on the back side but that is all.

Chris

Sfreader

RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Wed, 12/19/07 6:08 PM (permalink)
                            I scouted the new Stroud's location today. There is still pleanty of work to do and there were several people at work. The new location will not have the charm of the other Stroud locations: http://www.kansastravel.org/newstrouds.JPG

Keith

BuddyRoadhouse

RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Wed, 12/19/07 8:38 PM (permalink)
                              Oh, I don't know...if they take a length of motorcycle chain and smack the siding a few hundred times, strategically lower the foundation so the whole building sags in the middle, and reduce the amount of parking in the lot so you need to park on some remote side street and walk a quarter mile from your car to the front door while dodging all the other cars looking for parking spaces, they might come close.

I'll forgive all of it if the chicken is still good and the gravy is thick!

Buddy

CNW

RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Fri, 12/28/07 12:08 AM (permalink)
                                According to the staff at the North location, it is going to be mid Febuary at the earliest before they are open.

CNW

CNW

RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Sat, 01/19/08 12:17 AM (permalink)
                                  It's taking longer then anticipated to do the remodeling. I called the new location and the manager that answered the phone said that it was going to be March, early March if they were lucky but more likely after the 15th.

Voyageur

RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Tue, 01/22/08 1:28 AM (permalink)
                                    What's the delay putting the sunglasses back on the trophy?

Come on dudes and gals, you're replicating the old rustic south side location, not the fancier Oak Ridge one.

I feel like a kid hearing Santa Claus has been delayed. Sorry for the impatience, Stroud's. You rock, and I can hardly wait.

Sfreader

RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Tue, 01/22/08 8:51 AM (permalink)
                                      Voyageur, In the mean time, you can still eat at the other two Strouds.

Keith
                                      (who is still disapointed they didn't choose the space that Machine Shed abandonded in Olathe)

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                        RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Wed, 01/23/08 9:42 AM (permalink)

courtesy of Shugg

CNW

RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Thu, 02/7/08 1:28 AM (permalink)
                                          Opening Day is going to be St. Patrick's Day - Monday, March 17th unless something goes wrong according to the man who answered their phone. I guess they decided to do a little more remodeling then they first thought they would. There is a new construction permit posted on the door dated the last week of January for some additional work. A new sign has been installed out by the road, other then that there are no other visible exterior changes since the last photos were posted.

Sfreader

RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Thu, 03/13/08 4:40 PM (permalink)
                                            They have moved the opening back to "sometime in April."

Keith

Mikeybackwards

• Total Posts: 1
                                              RE: Stroud's New Location-Fairway, Kansas Sun, 04/6/08 4:48 PM (permalink)
                                              I just spoke to a guy from Stroud's North. The new Fairway location opens tomorrow, 7 April 2008 at 11AM CDST.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com