Stuffing, Dressing, Filling...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10407
Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/07 02:06:23 (permalink)
totillie

Crispy rules. I have never had stuffing/dressing with cornbread. What makes it good? [disclaimer, I am originally from one of the Lands of Cornbread Stuffing,  NE version - but I have Eastern European family who said HUH? haha]

What makes Cornbread Stuffing good??? CORNBREAD!.
It has a good texture to it and is not like eating a ball of Dough like conventional stuffing.
speechpeach
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/07 08:41:02 (permalink)
My family usually likes dressing cooked in a large pan, I prefer one that is not as dense and maybe more like a stuffing?  When I make it for my family it contains cornbread, Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix, white bread, lots of broth, onions and celery that have been sauteed in butter, plenty of eggs and sage and/or poultry seasoning.  It actually tastes better to me before it is cooked and when it is very warm and fluffy from the oven.  My sister's husband loves our dressing, he is originally from New Jersey/New York and says it is the best part of Thanksgiving dinner.  We sometimes humour him and make mashed potatoes mixed with rutabagas-  this must be from his childhood, as we have always made sweet potatoes for holiday meals.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5120
Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/07 11:05:36 (permalink)
I can't offer a recipe for turkey stuffing but, If I sat down to Thanksgiving dinner and was told I could eat ONLY ONE item on the table, you know it's going to be stuffing. Hopefully, oyster cornbread stuffing!
txtwister
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 259
Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/07 11:30:34 (permalink)
Reporting in on the crockpot dressing turned out into a baking pan and crisped - delicious!  As I mentioned I was going to do, I sauteed my onions and celery, browned some sausage and due to time, ended up cooking it for roughly 3 hours on high in the crockpot.  When I went to transfer the dressing to the pan, the edges that were in contact with the crock were nicely browned and beginning to get a crispy edge to them.  

Baking the dressing for about 20 minutes at 370 while I cooked potatoes and made gravy was absolutely perfect - crispy, moist inside, and just perfect.  WIN!

Thanks for sharing, this will come in SO handy on Thanksgiving when I'm juggling the rolls/potatoes/gravy/dressing as the turkey rests.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10407
Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/07 13:03:37 (permalink)
txtwister

Reporting in on the crockpot dressing turned out into a baking pan and crisped - delicious!  As I mentioned I was going to do, I sauteed my onions and celery, browned some sausage and due to time, ended up cooking it for roughly 3 hours on high in the crockpot.  When I went to transfer the dressing to the pan, the edges that were in contact with the crock were nicely browned and beginning to get a crispy edge to them.  

Baking the dressing for about 20 minutes at 370 while I cooked potatoes and made gravy was absolutely perfect - crispy, moist inside, and just perfect.  WIN!

Thanks for sharing, this will come in SO handy on Thanksgiving when I'm juggling the rolls/potatoes/gravy/dressing as the turkey rests.

Glad it worked out well for you. I forgot to mention, you do get a little crispiness from the sides of the crockpot.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1