Stuffing, Dressing, Filling...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
fabulousoyster
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1855
2010/10/19 23:11:54 (permalink)

Stuffing, Dressing, Filling...

Whatever you call it, post your recipes here, Thanksgiving is right around the corner.
This year I'll be trying a Pancetta, Chestnut and Prune stuffing, which I'll put in the turkey.
I will also attempt at an Amish Filling, more like a stuffing with potatoes, shredded chicken, veg, milk, baked on the side.
Those Bell's Poultry Seasoning smells are haunting me......

34 Replies Related Threads

ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/10/20 00:51:26 (permalink)
    Fry chopped celery and onion cooked down in 1 stick butter on medium til onion is translucent. add salt , pepper, and Bell's seasoning to taste. I use what ever bread that's left over including hamburg or hot dog buns cubed. 1/2 cup green salad olives drained and 1/2 container ham salad. mix together by hand. if you can find stuffing bags ( I get them at walmart) use them. none of the stuffing will fall into the bottom of the pan. between the butter and the ham salad, dressing is very moist.
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/10/20 23:16:44 (permalink)
    Here in the Delta you'd best serve up some moist cornbread dressing with that turkey - we may have evolved from the dried out oven turkeys to the better smoked or deep fried turkeys but the cornbread dressing still rules.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10272
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/10/21 03:08:59 (permalink)
    I converted from Traditional Roasted, Stuffed Turkeys to Deep Fried Turkeys when I lived in Pensacola and never went back. Make Traditional Stuffing with chopped pecans, celery, onions and breakfast pork sausage for the family as well as a crockpot of cornbread stuffing for myself.
    Crockpot Cornbread Stuffing
    4 1/2 cups cornbread crumbs (make a skillet of cornbread the night before)
    1 - 16 oz. pk herb stuffing mix
    2 cans cream of chicken soup
    2 cans chicken broth (14 oz.)
    1 onion chopped 
    2  cups celery chopped
    4 eggs lightly beaten
    1 1/2 T Poultry Seasoning
    1/2 t salt
    1/2 t pepper
    2 T butter cut up

Stir together first 10 ingredients in large bowl. Pour mixture into lightly greased 6 qt. crockpot. Dot with butter. Cook, covered, on LOW 4 hours until cooked through and set.

post edited by Foodbme - 2010/10/21 03:11:23
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/10/21 08:41:35 (permalink)
    Foodbme, that really looks good. I think I'm going to try it this year since I'll be doing the turkey on the grill again.
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/10/21 09:22:42 (permalink)
    I like all the traditional ingredients, but also adding butter sauteed, chopped  chicken livers is a must....yes just around the corner!! 
    agnesrob
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/10/21 09:54:48 (permalink)
    I had a friend who would stir a big spoonful of peanutbutter into her stuffing. It was really good. Very few people guessed what the "secret" ingredient was.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1093
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/10/21 09:58:37 (permalink)
    Foodbme

I converted from Traditional Roasted, Stuffed Turkeys to Deep Fried Turkeys when I lived in Pensacola and never went back. Make Traditional Stuffing with chopped pecans, celery, onions and breakfast pork sausage for the family as well as a crockpot of cornbread stuffing for myself.
    1 onion chopped 
    2  cups celery chopped
    4 eggs lightly beaten
    1/2 t salt
    1/2 t pepper
    2 T butter cut up

Stir together first 10 ingredients in large bowl. Pour mixture into lightly greased 6 qt. crockpot. Dot with butter. Cook, covered, on LOW 4 hours until cooked through and set.

Hmm.  I've never thought of adding cream of chicken soup in addition to broth.  Might have to try that.

Question - for those that do deep fried turkeys, what do you do about gravy?  Thanksgiving is basically a big plate of starch with gravy on it.
    ALLGOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 167
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/10/21 10:22:37 (permalink)
    Ground pork sausage
    stuffing cubes (seasoned in bag)
    turkey neck, heart and gizzard
    onion
    butter
    celery
    lawry's seasoned salt
    1 beaten egg
    water
    chicken bouillion
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/10/21 12:21:18 (permalink)
    hatteras04
    Hmm.  I've never thought of adding cream of chicken soup in addition to broth.  Might have to try that.

Question - for those that do deep fried turkeys, what do you do about gravy?  Thanksgiving is basically a big plate of starch with gravy on it.

I take the "Innards" bag from the Turkey and the fat & skin trimmed from the bird, fill a pot of water and add some bay leaves, finely chopped celery & onion and poultry seasoning to the water and cook it on low-med burner until innards are cooked. Remove and chop up the innards and remove meat from the neck. Strain the broth thru a cheese cloth. Skim off some of the chicken fat if you like and add the chopped innards back to the broth. That broth becomes the base for your gravy.

mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1355
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/10/22 15:37:14 (permalink)
    Cornbread dressing with no other bread is also good for those of us who can't eat gluten.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3727
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/10/22 15:45:08 (permalink)
    Foodbme

I take the "Innards" bag from the Turkey and the fat & skin trimmed from the bird, fill a pot of water and add some bay leaves, finely chopped celery & onion and poultry seasoning to the water and cook it on low-med burner until innards are cooked. Remove and chop up the innards and remove meat from the neck. Strain the broth thru a cheese cloth. Skim off some of the chicken fat if you like and add the chopped innards back to the broth. That broth becomes the base for your gravy.

Your turkey   contains chicken fat?

DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/10/22 16:16:13 (permalink)
    I suppose some of you have ever considered stuffing your turkey with beans and rice or highly seasoned ground meat ?

RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/10/22 16:33:10 (permalink)
    fabulousoyster 
    I will also attempt at an Amish Filling, more like a stuffing with potatoes, shredded chicken, veg, milk, baked on the side. 

Many of the diners and family restaurants here in the Lehigh and Berks counties of PA have "filling" listed as a vegetable on their menus and if you order it, you'd get a mixture containing both bread and potatoes.
    I have been making it for so many years that I never measured out the ingredients but this recipe on the link below uses exactly the same ingredients and method as I do for an authentic PA Dutch potato filling.
    http://teriskitchen.com/padutch/potfill.html
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/10/22 22:43:13 (permalink)
    Foodbme

1 onion chopped 
    2  cups celery chopped
    4 eggs lightly beaten
    1/2 t salt
    1/2 t pepper
    2 T butter cut up

The first time I heard of this recipe many years ago I was very apprehensive until I tasted it - it's GREAT - really one of the easiest and best dressing recipes ever. 
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/10/24 13:29:01 (permalink)
    I use Brownberry Oven Sage & Onion stuffing.
    I buy a package of turkey wings, separate into & roast them in the oven on a 1/4 sheet pan.  Then in a big pot I saute diced onions, celery(especially all the inner stalks with the leaves), add the roasted turkey wings,heart, neck, gizzard,liver, turkley fat(I pull out the pockets of fat from inside the turkey).  I deglaze the sheet pan with chicken broth & then add more chicken broth & water to the pot.  Then I bring to a boil, skim off the foam, then simmer for approximately 1 hour.  then remove the wings, heart, neck, gizzard,liver.
    For regular dressing I add the broth to the dressing( I like it to be very moist), butter a baking pan, cover with foil, bake at 350 30 minutes, remove foil & bake until top is crisp.
    For oyster dressing I add 1 pint standard oysters with the liquor to one bag of stuffing.  Then  cut the oysters into 1" pieces & add broth to desired consistancy, & bake in the same way as regular dressing.
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1164
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/10/24 17:24:23 (permalink)
    I make a french bread dressing, using my stockpot to mix it all together in - saute chopped onions, celery, and green pepper in a stick of butter until soft, add to french bread pieces, meat and broth from about 6 cooked chicken thighs, chopped pecans, salt, and white pepper. 
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/02 15:42:38 (permalink)
    Sausage Dressing for our turkey day. 

The recipe is the only thing I have hand written by my Grandfather Scharf. (He died in May 1971 and I was born in June 1971)

Croutons (stuffing cubes)
    Pork Sausage
    Eggs
    Broth
    Onion
    Celery
    S & P
    Sage

Mix By Hand !!

bdtn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/02 15:55:22 (permalink)
    I like to add oysters to corn bread dressing and apples and onions to my breastuffing. I also buy one of the cheapo
    turkeys to make stock or a couple of packs of turkey necks you can never have to much gravey also the boiled turkey meat comes out real juicy and its good for sandwiches or any other use.
    txtwister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 259
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/03 13:57:21 (permalink)
    Foodbme

1 onion chopped 
    2  cups celery chopped
    4 eggs lightly beaten
    1/2 t salt
    1/2 t pepper
    2 T butter cut up

This is very close to my recipe (with the addition of crumbled cooked sage & hot breakfast sausage and occasionally chopped cooked eggs and gizzards).

I might run with this technique, though, as I'm the chief dressing maker, and we always have an issue with it taking entirely too long to cook once the bird comes out of the oven - the idea of being able to cook it beforehand and transport it in the crockpot is definitely appealing.  

What I'm thinking is go ahead and saute the onion and celery in butter as usual, mix, cook in the crockpot, then when the bird is done, take some of the drippings and use them to "grease" a baking pan, turn the dressing out into that, and pop it into the oven to get the little crispy bits on the edges and top.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/03 14:58:44 (permalink)
    txtwister

Foodbme

1 onion chopped 
    2  cups celery chopped
    4 eggs lightly beaten
    1/2 t salt
    1/2 t pepper
    2 T butter cut up

This is very close to my recipe (with the addition of crumbled cooked sage & hot breakfast sausage and occasionally chopped cooked eggs and gizzards).

I might run with this technique, though, as I'm the chief dressing maker, and we always have an issue with it taking entirely too long to cook once the bird comes out of the oven - the idea of being able to cook it beforehand and transport it in the crockpot is definitely appealing.  

What I'm thinking is go ahead and saute the onion and celery in butter as usual, mix, cook in the crockpot, then when the bird is done, take some of the drippings and use them to "grease" a baking pan, turn the dressing out into that, and pop it into the oven to get the little crispy bits on the edges and top.

A Good Plan! That will work just fine!
    txtwister
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/03 15:09:57 (permalink)
    I'll be sure to report back - I might even do a "trial run" sometime this week or next.  
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/03 16:16:38 (permalink)
    In talking with my sister I discovered she makes a clam dressing each year.  It all started about 7 years ago she was going to make oyster dressing.  She somehow grabbed clams instead of oysters and it turned out great so she has made it ever since.

I need to get her recipe for it
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/03 21:52:43 (permalink)
      Stuffing for pork loin or chops.

Pear and Pistachio Stuffing

stale bread
      chicken stock
      onions, chopped
      celery chopped
     pears, chopped
     pistachios, shelled,and crushed
     1 or 2 eggs
     rubbed sage
     garlic
     parsley
     pepper and sea salt to taste
     Mix well and transfer to a baking pan. Cook for 45 min. on 350 degrees.

This is a recipe that I developed when I was a Chef at the Paradise Valley Country Club. Everybody wanted the recipe but I wouldn't give the amounts for the ingredients. You all will have to experiment with it to get it the way you like it.

David O.

totillie
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/04 02:14:23 (permalink)
    hi, she says shyly. This is what we love, every year.

4 any hard-ish rolls, soaked in water and squeezed dry [ciabatta bread or rolls - we have here a French baker who makes fantastic ciabatta! -  are great]
    about 12 oz. any bulk sausage, hot or mild
    1/2 onion, minced, or a whole one if you like onion
    garlic, minced. as much as you can stand
    2 stalks celery, minced
    2-4 eggs, beaten - depends on how moist you like the interior pieces
    your herb of choice, the past years I've been using Trader Joe's 21-seasoning salute. plus extra sage, some minced parsley and a a tablespoon of poultry seasoning.

Saute sausage, remove and drain; then saute onion, celery and garlic. Mix all ingredients together and spoon into in a 9x13 casserole. No stuffing the bird...Bake  @ 400 degrees 30-45 minutes. Crispy and good, moist interior.

This, sigh, used to have sauteed turkey giblets and minced heart and just about everything in that little innards packet, until it was discovered that I cannot eat all things turkey.

But the reformulated version is dang good. If you like crunchy, crouton-type dressing, this will not be your thing. But is is dang good.
    agnesrob
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/04 08:20:22 (permalink)
    Totillie, that sound really good. It's very similar to what I make but without the French rolls. I think I might try this version along with Foodbme's crockpot dressing. Stuffing is one of my favorite parts of the Thanksgiving dinner.
    totillie
    Hamburger
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/06 02:24:40 (permalink)
    Gracias, Agnes. I adore stuffing. or dressing. Or whatever.

I told my mom - this is her method - that I posted this to y'all, and she was all at once impressed, insulted and preening with her 15 seconds of fame. Gotta love it.

But let's talk about other methods...do y'all like eggy/moist stuffing/dressing - versus crunchy-type stuffing? What do y'all favor? In the bird or a la casserole?

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8370
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/06 07:41:47 (permalink)
    I do both-I stuff the bird and bake some in a pan.I prefer the bird stuffing, but usually end up mixing the two guaranteeing we have plenty!
    txtwister
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/06 14:16:09 (permalink)
    I prefer dressing that's been baked separately, with crispy edges.

In related news: Cornbread in the oven now - I'm doing my "test run" today if I don't eat all of the cornbread first!
    totillie
    Hamburger
    Re:Stuffing, Dressing, Filling... 2010/11/07 01:19:26 (permalink)
    Crispy rules. I have never had stuffing/dressing with cornbread. What makes it good? [disclaimer, I am originally from one of the Lands of Cornbread Stuffing,  NE version - but I have Eastern European family who said HUH? haha]
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1