Stuffing or Dressing

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
juleebella
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
2007/11/06 10:10:19 (permalink)

Stuffing or Dressing

Which do you have and do you consider them to be two entirely different dishes or the same. Do they seem to be regional?

For me stuffing goes in the bird and dressing is cooked in a dish outside of the bird. I never had dressing until I moved to the south. Living in the north we always had stuffing - cooked inside the bird and then dished out.

Your thoughts.

37 Replies Related Threads

matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 667
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 10:18:57 (permalink)
    I agree with your terms and prefer it be cooked in the bird. Some stuff and some dress, however, a pan of leftover stuffing, (i.e., what can't fit into the bird), can be baked independently to become a side of dressing. Either way, the flavors of the two are definitely different, to me.
    Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 10:24:19 (permalink)
    Wow! I've often been told that I'm wrong in making this distinction, but I agree completely.

And yes, whatever fits in the bird cooks in the bird. I usually try to mix them to get some of the flavor mixed (except for the year that I forgot the "dressing" an found it in the oven the next day).
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 10:47:11 (permalink)
    I say dressing but I'm not a douche about it. I stuff my turkey cavity with celery, apples, etc. to keep it moist but I'm too food-germ-phobic to actually eat the stuffing if it's been in the bird, although I know that if you nuke it for a couple minutes it's fine. So I just make it in its own separate pan.

Day old cornbread, crumbled, lots of sauteed onion and leafy celery, fresh ground pepper, kosher salt, parsley sage rosemary & thyme (much heavier on the sage), about half a stick of butter (okay two thirds), and low-sodium chicken broth until it's just this side of pasty. Then into a buttered casserole and about 350 for thirty, forty minutes until the top is just barely dry. I always get compliments.

Edited to add: you know last year I tried that whole roasting-breast-side-down thing, and it really does work. Don't remember whether it was at the Food Network site or the NYTs or where, and you're running the risk of scarring up the skin, but it does seem to help with the moisture thing. I also have a friend who swears by roasting bags.
    matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 10:59:20 (permalink)
    I like to brine the bird, if time and circumstances allow. Mmmmmm.
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 11:09:16 (permalink)
    I am going to try brining a large bird ( translation 18+ pounds) this year- I was told that if you have a medium size cooler- you can brine in that- I never had anything big enough before to place the brine and the bird in, will let you know how that works out!
    and yes, I agree- dressing is cooked outside the bird and stuffing is cooked in the bird. But if you use the giblet broth ( you know, cook them ahead of time in H2O) and strain it and add some of that to your recipe for the "dressing" , reserving the rest for your gravy, the flavor and moisture should be close- not as good as cooking in the bird but close enough.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18954
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 11:26:53 (permalink)
    It's stuffing. That's an order!

(I could have sworn I posted this earlier.)
    Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 332
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 11:48:34 (permalink)
    Stuffing is inside the bird, dressing (or filling in PA dutch restaurants) is outside. Each one is definitely different tasting.

I prefer the stuffing from the neck end of the turkey -- that small flap of skin that can accommodate a cup or so of stuffing, pull the skin under the bird and secure it with trussing needles. The skin is crispy and and the stuffing is savory -- yum!
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 12:01:46 (permalink)
    I always say stuffing, but I also want it in the bird. I know what the new books say, but how many people have shoved it in the bird for how many years and we have not died out as a species? I can check the stuffing for temp just like the bird. Last year we did a taste test of many "stuffings." In the bird (w/ sausage) won.
    Ashphalt
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 12:08:45 (permalink)
    For the past few years I've taken some tips form Cooks Illustrated. I nuke the stuffing before putting it in the bird and I use a muslin stuffing bag. Makes it much easier and cleaner to get most of the stuffing out (and the neck end comes out pretty clean, anyway).

Nancy - your's is pretty much the stuffing my Dad always made, but he added bulk sausage. For mine, I add a head of chopped sauted kale and chopped browned Portuguese sausage. Every year I think about trying something new, and then decide to stick with the standard.
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 12:14:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by divefl

I always say stuffing, but I also want it in the bird. I know what the new books say, but how many people have shoved it in the bird for how many years and we have not died out as a species? I can check the stuffing for temp just like the bird. Last year we did a taste test of many "stuffings." In the bird (w/ sausage) won.

My mom has refused to make it in the bird for many years now and it makes me VERY sad - it was so much better cooked inside and we never ever got sick.

How much danger is there, truly, in doing stuffing inside the bird? Anyone know??
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 12:23:43 (permalink)
    As long as the stuffing inside the bird reaches 165 degrees it is perfectly safe, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Poultry/stuffingsafe.htm
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 12:28:55 (permalink)
    Thanks Michael. I passed it along to my mom with a request to stuff the bird on my next turkey dinner at home!!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 12:47:32 (permalink)
    Good luck.
    divefl
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 13:13:16 (permalink)
    Cecif, you could always volunteer to help, then just start shoving the stuffing in before anyone says anything. Help for those big meals is seldom unwelcome, either way.
    Ashphalt
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 13:23:20 (permalink)
    Cecif - I mentioned nuking the stuffing above. Cooks Illustrated recommends nuking stuffing for 5 minutes or so to a par-cooked temperature (I don't recall the temperature they suggest) before stuffing the bird.

It gives the stuffing a jump start so that the breast meat doesn't dry out while you're waiting for the stuffing to come up to temperature. The stuffing is still in for the full time of cooking so it absorbs all the yummy bird goodness. I've been pretty happy with it.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 13:34:29 (permalink)
    To me, stuffing is in, dressing around. I never caught any kind of bug as a child from eating stuffing, but I've gotten to be too much of wuss for it now. But I read somewhere that what one could do is put stuffing in netting, then in the bird (where they enhance each other's flavors), then remove it before serving. I may try that. If I get brave.
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 13:40:02 (permalink)
    Both occur at our house. Wife and I both prefer the flavor of “in the bird”, but some like it cooked separately.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6559
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 13:43:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mland520

I am going to try brining a large bird ( translation 18+ pounds) this year- I was told that if you have a medium size cooler- you can brine in that- I never had anything big enough before to place the brine and the bird in, will let you know how that works out!
    and yes, I agree- dressing is cooked outside the bird and stuffing is cooked in the bird. But if you use the giblet broth ( you know, cook them ahead of time in H2O) and strain it and add some of that to your recipe for the "dressing" , reserving the rest for your gravy, the flavor and moisture should be close- not as good as cooking in the bird but close enough.

mland520

A 36 qt cooler should easily handle a bird of that size.

Usually for Turkey Day my Uncle and I brine and smoke 10-20 turkeys.
    We use the big 100+ qt coolers to brine sevral at a time.

But for your bird a 36 qt should do the trick nicely.

************ HEALTH & SAFTY WARNING ***************

After you are done using this cooler for your brine

Wash it out Thoroughly with HOT SOAPY water
    Then wash it out with a bleach water solution
    Make sure to rinse it thoroughly
    Let it air dry before using it for ANYTHING else

********* End of Health & Safety Message **********

I personally would not use that cooler for anything else that day, but that is just me.

Being in the bbq/smoking business over the years I have bought seperate coolers for brining, they are all marked BRINING ONLY.

My garage looks like an IGLOO cooler store

Most importantly is to have fun, and enjoy the results.

Donald
    CajunKing
    matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 13:47:41 (permalink)
    I always thought, that as long as the prep work is handled cleanly, just as it always should be, the real danger came into play if you just left the stuffing/dressing and meat sitting around and on the carcass for an extended period after the food was done. Again, just like anything else, as long as it is eaten and then goes into the 'fridge in a timely manner, all is well. I've even, gasp, left the meat on the bone before putting it away. Makes great soup.
    juleebella
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 13:50:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CajunKing

quote:
    Originally posted by mland520

mland520

A 36 qt cooler should easily handle a bird of that size.

Usually for Turkey Day my Uncle and I brine and smoke 10-20 turkeys.
    We use the big 100+ qt coolers to brine sevral at a time.

But for your bird a 36 qt should do the trick nicely.

************ HEALTH & SAFTY WARNING ***************

After you are done using this cooler for your brine

Wash it out Thoroughly with HOT SOAPY water
    Then wash it out with a bleach water solution
    Make sure to rinse it thoroughly
    Let it air dry before using it for ANYTHING else

********* End of Health & Safety Message **********

I personally would not use that cooler for anything else that day, but that is just me.

Being in the bbq/smoking business over the years I have bought seperate coolers for brining, they are all marked BRINING ONLY.

My garage looks like an IGLOO cooler store

Most importantly is to have fun, and enjoy the results.

Donald
    CajunKing

We've brined our turkey the last couple of years. We put it in a plastic garbage bag, put the brine in the bag with it, tie off the bag and then put it in the ice chest.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6559
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 13:51:13 (permalink)
    Now back to the dressing/stuffing debate

Stuffing = stuffed into something

Dressing = baked in a seperate pan

The two definately have different tastes off the same recipe.

Stuffing is usually moister and has the added flavor of the turkey fat cooking into it.

Dressing can be moist, but usually not as moist as stuffing.

My problem stems from having to make such large amounts I could never get all the stuffing into the bird, making me use another pan to make dressing too.

When I started smoking my birds or deep frying I needed to make dressing anyway.

There definately is a taste difference between the too............ (Dreamin of stuffing)

I think I am going to have roast chicken & dressing tonight for dinner. THANKS YALL!
    divefl
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 13:55:51 (permalink)
    I thought it was the temp the items reach during cooking. Different items need to reach different temps to kill off the bacteria that are likely/or not so likely to be on them. Prep is when the cross contamination would happen. Like getting the bird related stuffs on the lettuce for salad. You are never going to cook the salad to the temp (or at all) that the bird will reach. So, the bird won't make you sick, but the salmonella (sp?) that the lettuce got on the counter will.

I had never heard of the leaving meat on bones issue, but I have never done it so it may have been an issue for the person who taught me and they never told me why I was stripping the bones.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 14:16:24 (permalink)
    Ash that's my dad's old recipe too. And I don't ever measure the spices, but one year that bit him in the butt; he put so much sage in it was green and very nearly inedible.

Now my mother likes the version with stale French bread crumbs instead of cornbread and bulk sausage, plus some shredded Granny Smith apple peels (she makes a great pie out of the apples). The point is, stuffing/dressing is a great place to stick any kind of savory veg that you like.
    matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 15:12:37 (permalink)
    Cross-contamination can happen at any time in the cooking process.
    The salad could be a culprit from the beginning, ESPECIALLY, since it is never cooked.
    Overstuffing a turkey will keep the proper temperatures from being reached.
    That's why they say, "Don't overstuff."
    If the turkey, or what have you, is done to a turn and then comes into contact with a contanimated thing of any kind, it can be dangerous.
    A clean kitchen, and clean cooking habits, along with making sure the food is properly prepared, cooked and handled is normally sufficient for safe food consumption.
    I say normally simply because there are the outside factors that can occur before the food is even bought and brought into the kitchen.
    divefl
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 15:29:04 (permalink)
    Define overstuffed? It's always mounding out for me but that doesn't stop my bird. Then again, my stuffing goes in hot.

I saw an add for a stuffing basket to put the stuffing in then to go in the bird. Linens n things, I think. Large holes like a corn on the cob grill basket. Looked totally unworkable. Anyone else see it or have used it?
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 16:00:07 (permalink)
    We have bread stuffing inside the turkey and a big casserole of potato filling baked in the oven. Dressing is what we do before we leave for my aunt's house on Thanksgiving morning.
    matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 16:04:02 (permalink)
    I too, stuff the heck out of my bird and the stuffing does go in hot as well because I use the fresh stock I've just made for both it and the giblet gravy.
    My interpretation of the technical term, "overstuffed," would be if you just cram it all in there without giving it room for the heat to circulate and the stuffing to expand with cooking.
    I'm regularly guilty of what I personally consider "overstuffing." However, it does expand, sometimes right out of the bird, and I get a nice crunchy little crust on top of what comes out. I mix it with what comes from inside after cooking for, what to me is, a nice texture.
    My stock, though, is generally the first thing I begin preparing in the morning so I have enough time for it to become "lip-smackin' good," and to be used in the rest of the cooking.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2119
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 16:16:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CajunKing

Now back to the dressing/stuffing debate

Stuffing = stuffed into something.....

Dressing = baked in a seperate pan

Stuffing => The way I feel after Thanksgiving Dinner.
    divefl
    RE: Stuffing or Dressing 2007/11/06 17:13:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by matilda

I too, stuff the heck out of my bird and the stuffing does go in hot as well because I use the fresh stock I've just made for both it and the giblet gravy.
    My interpretation of the technical term, "overstuffed," would be if you just cram it all in there without giving it room for the heat to circulate and the stuffing to expand with cooking.
    I'm regularly guilty of what I personally consider "overstuffing." However, it does expand, sometimes right out of the bird, and I get a nice crunchy little crust on top of what comes out. I mix it with what comes from inside after cooking for, what to me is, a nice texture.
    My stock, though, is generally the first thing I begin preparing in the morning so I have enough time for it to become "lip-smackin' good," and to be used in the rest of the cooking.

I'm a tad hungry, now. I love the crust part and your stuffing sounds very close to what's at my house. Although, you get the extra points for the fresh stock. That sounds great. I am now officially in Thanksgiving mode. BRING IT ON!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1