The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Stuffing or dressing poll

cementhead

• Total Posts: 120
Stuffing or dressing poll Sat, 11/12/11 9:20 PM (permalink)
The new poll asks if you call it stuffing or dressing. Here in our area it is neither. In Pa Dutch Country most people know it as filling. We also have a dish called potato filling. It is mashed potatoes with celery, onions and whatever normally goes in bread filling. I have only seen it baked in a dish, never put in the bird. I never saw potato filling anywhere but here locally.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3299
    Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Sat, 11/12/11 9:46 PM (permalink)
    I had a problem with the poll, too. If it's in the bird, it's stuffing. If it's in a casserole dish, it's dressing. Same exact food, just different preparation. I can't pick one absolute answer between the two.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9567
      Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Sun, 11/13/11 12:09 AM (permalink)
      Also depends on the region of the country.
      The Southerners usually call it dressing.
      The Northerners usually call it stuffing.
      Usually in the South, the "Dressing" is made with Cornbread and it's cooked outside the bird.
      The Northern and Midwestern states usually use bread to make "Stuffing" and it's cooked inside the bird.
      It's a Tomato -Tomahto thing.
      Depending on the region Oysters, Andouille, Pork Sausage, Nuts, Mushrooms, Chiles, Raisins,Chicken or Turkey Gizzards & Livers are added. Knock yourself out! It's all good!

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
        Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Sun, 11/13/11 11:13 AM (permalink)
        I am from West Virginia & we call it dressing.   Made with bread.  I always make oyster dressing as well as the regular kind. 

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
          Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Mon, 11/14/11 1:57 PM (permalink)
          claracamille

I am from West Virginia & we call it dressing.   Made with bread.  I always make oyster dressing as well as the regular kind. 

How is it that place's like West Va, and Indiana, Ohio that oyster dressing is so popular? Not to many Oysters around those parts. Every year at this time half pt, pt and qt containers start showing up in the stores.

Foodbme

Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Mon, 11/14/11 3:07 PM (permalink)
            fishtaco

claracamille

How is it that place's like West Va, and Indiana, Ohio that oyster dressing is so popular? Not to many Oysters around those parts. Every year at this time half pt, pt and qt containers start showing up in the stores.

Since WV is so mountainous, maybe their Mountain Oysters!!!!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6232
              Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Tue, 11/15/11 10:59 AM (permalink)
              In our family it was always stuffing, in the bird or baked.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
                Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Tue, 11/15/11 11:03 AM (permalink)
                Growing up it was always stuffing regardless of how it was prepared, but nowadays I differentiate between stuffing and dressing.  But regardless of which it is I prefer it to be fairly wet with butter, stock, and drippings.

Brad

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6232
                  Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Tue, 11/15/11 12:42 PM (permalink)
                  Curmudgeon Hoffman borrowing lleechef's computer: In my family it's all stuffing -- in the bird or out.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                    Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Tue, 11/15/11 1:04 PM (permalink)
                    They are having this very conversation on The Chew right now! They finally agreed it was a regional thing.

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
                      Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Tue, 11/15/11 8:12 PM (permalink)
                      felix4067

I had a problem with the poll, too. If it's in the bird, it's stuffing. If it's in a casserole dish, it's dressing. Same exact food, just different preparation. I can't pick one absolute answer between the two.

I totally agree.

Foodbme

Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Tue, 11/15/11 8:27 PM (permalink)
                        jeepguy

felix4067

I totally agree.

That's the point! There is no absoute answer!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                          Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Tue, 11/15/11 9:11 PM (permalink)
                          I grew up using the expression stuffing, and thats what it is to me. However, people say dressing and I know what they mean-and dont argue.

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
                            Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Wed, 11/16/11 3:24 PM (permalink)
                            I grew up in Indianapolis.  My parents were from Crawfordsville, IN and central Illinois, respectively.  We called it dressing if it was baked in a casserole (which my father's oyster dressing invariably was, because no one else liked it) and stuffing when it went inside the bird.  My mother never used cornbread -- always stale white bread cubes she made herself --  with sage, poultry seasoning, celery, onions, and sometimes mushrooms.  Never any meat or poultry or citrus fruit or dried fruit or any of those other ingredients.

I have no idea why oyster dressing is popular in the landlocked Midwest, but from my father's point of view, no wintertime holiday meal was complete without it.

tkitna

• Total Posts: 620
                              Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Thu, 11/17/11 4:07 AM (permalink)
                              claracamille

Hmm, i'm from West Virginia too, and we have always called it stuffing. Guess everybodys different.

claracamille

Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Sun, 11/20/11 10:00 AM (permalink)
                                fishtaco

claracamille

My recipes for both oyster dressing & scalloped oysters came from my grandmother who lived on a dairy farm in WV.  I remember having fried oysters on Christmas Eve at my great grandmother's.  I asked my mom about the availability of oysters in the countryside.  My mom was born in 1922 & she said she remembered going to the nearest grocery/general store with my grandmother.  In November & December the stores would have barrels of oysters packed in ice.  My grandmother would buy a bucket of oysters at Thanksgiving(oyster dressing) & Christmas(scalloped oysters for Christmas Eve).  

claracamille

Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Sun, 11/20/11 10:02 AM (permalink)
                                  tkitna

claracamille

Hmm, i'm from West Virginia too, and we have always called it stuffing. Guess everybodys different.

tkitna,
                                  Where in WV?  My mom & dad both grew up in Mason County,near Point Pleasant.

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
                                    Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Sun, 11/20/11 10:29 AM (permalink)
                                    Both of my parents are from the north east so despite growing up in the south, lots of new england words used to fill my vocabulary. To them, stuffing was the filling in the turkey made with seasoned bread. Turkey dressing was what other folks call cranberry sauce, but with whole, cranberries in it and not a solid gel from a can. First place I recall it served as dressing was in a cafeteria served from a steam pan made from corn bread and topped with sliced turkey and covered in gravy.

FWIW, when the kids were still under the roof we usually stuffed with red or black beans and rice (congri or morros). Now that we're down to three of us and we try to keep the fat down, I usually go with a bread based "dressing" made outside the bird.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1137
                                      Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Sun, 11/20/11 10:47 AM (permalink)
                                      dressing, regardless of how it's prepared.  Oyster dressing is very popular around here, even after the BP spill, folks were willing to pay exorbitant prices for oysters - guess you don't mess with tradition. 

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
                                        Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Sun, 11/20/11 8:06 PM (permalink)
                                        Sorry folks, what you put in the turkey when you roast it is called filling.  How do I know?---that's what my mother called it! (her mother was from PA Dutch country)

tkitna

• Total Posts: 620
                                          Re:Stuffing or dressing poll Wed, 11/23/11 2:16 AM (permalink)
                                          claracamille

tkitna

claracamille

tkitna,
                                          Where in WV?  My mom & dad both grew up in Mason County,near Point Pleasant.

Hi Claracamille. I live in Brooke County (Wellsburg) which is up in the Northern Panhandle. A little further north than Wheeling.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com