Stupid Driver Department

Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18493
2011/05/11 13:57:46 (permalink)

Stupid Driver Department

I was stopped at a stop sign a little while ago, and directly across the three-way stop intersection was a police car, also stopped. At that point a car came up behind the police car -- the well-marked black and white police car with lights atop the roof -- swerved around it and went right through the intersection headed down the no-outlet street, through another stop sign. The police officer, looked at me (we know each other), shook his head, flipped on his lights and took off after the idiot. I couldn't resist and I pulled around the corner, turned around and went to watch. The police officer puts the guy in the back of his patrol car, comes over to me and leans on my door and starts laughing. "Damn, I wish they were all this easy," he says, and then turns and goes back to his car, gets in the front seat and starts writing the idiot up.

16 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7981
    Re:Stupid Driver Department 2011/05/11 14:02:10 (permalink)
    Must be an Ohio thing.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10286
    Re:Stupid Driver Department 2011/05/11 14:25:34 (permalink)
    I wonder if the person was drunk or just oblivious.  I have a cousin who falls in the latter category.  He once got pulled over for tailgating a police car!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Stupid Driver Department 2011/05/11 14:27:43 (permalink)
    mar52

Must be an Ohio thing.

Oh sure, a pitiful attempt at payback.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Stupid Driver Department 2011/05/11 14:30:30 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

I wonder if the person was drunk or just oblivious.  I have a cousin who falls in the latter category.  He once got pulled over for tailgating a police car!

I'll find out next time I see the officer. But for some reason this intersection, with it's impossible not to see stop signs, always has vehicles ripping right through. And the next three-way stop half a block away gets the same kind of action. I told the mayor a couple of years ago that the city could make a fortune just stationing a cop there to write tickets.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 828
    Re:Stupid Driver Department 2011/05/11 16:32:26 (permalink)
    It's not legal to pass a stopped school bus here on Long Island.  I had a fraternity brother that got a ticket for passing a stopped school bus.  He happened to be driving a school bus at the time.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Stupid Driver Department 2011/05/11 17:06:53 (permalink)
    That's better than perfect!
    mbrookes
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1355
    Re:Stupid Driver Department 2011/05/11 17:36:35 (permalink)
    There is a 3 way stop right in front of my house. Most people zoom right through. I keep waiting to hear a loud crash.
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Stupid Driver Department 2011/05/11 19:25:20 (permalink)
    being a professional driver for 30+ years, I can't remember 99.9% of the stupid stuff I've seen.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Stupid Driver Department 2011/05/11 19:27:29 (permalink)
    sk bob

being a professional driver for 30+ years, I can't remember 99.9% of the stupid stuff I've seen.

Boy, I'll bet that's sure true.

Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Stupid Driver Department 2011/05/11 20:54:42 (permalink)
    At the end of my street, the road turns a sharp 90 degree's with almost no warning. If your going over 25 and you dont know its there, your going to miss the turn and head straight onto the neighbors lawn. There have been several accidents there, one including a kid sliding across the yard and hitting the pool - 200' away. Approaching the town and complaining, did nothing. Painting yellow lines in the road before the corner, did nothing.

So, a few years ago he had a buddy drop off some boulders, 2-3' high and 2-3' across. This didnt stop the kids however from continuing to speed down the street and coming to rest on top of the rocks. We had taken to sitting in the yard on weekend nights with a few coolers, just to watch the kids hit the rocks. Then we'd pick up the phone and call the police to tell them "send a wrecker.....you've got another one". Watching the parents show up and react to their totaled car, was almost as fun as watching them crash!

It was'nt long before the town told my neighbor that he had to paint the rocks because of the high rate of accidents. We asked about posting a cop down the road and running radar or similar to stop the speeding but they refused. Soooooo......we took to drinking one night and we painted the rocks, just like we were told to.  We painted them FLAT BLACK!! LOL Now they were virtually invisible!! Of course they continued to crash into them weekly, apparantly word had gotten around about "dead mans curve" and kids were coming from all over to try and beat the odds.
    We were all sitting out there one hot summer night, keeping cool with our refreshments when 4 kids in a Honda Civic missed the turn and came to rest on top of one of the boulders......oil, coolant flowing out all over. Air bags deployed....  Cops, ambulance and flatbed showed up as well as the parents. Parents started screaming about the black rocks, liability, our fault, poor johhny couldnt see them, blah-blah blah. I mentioned that they had no business driving down the road at that speed regardless. "What if MY kid ran out in the road, they wouldnt have been able to stop for him either." Cosp estimated speed at 53MPH on a residential rd. Parents dropped it and left.

Town stated they wanted the rocks changed color so they could be seen, THIS time they stipulated a "Color that is highly visible regardless of lighting conditions". We agreed, if they started patrolling and ticketing. They agreed and we painted the boulders a bright neon green, with large yellow smiley's on them !! We have'nt had a problem since! LOL
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Stupid Driver Department 2011/05/11 21:16:38 (permalink)
    Absolutely beautiful!
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5432
    Re:Stupid Driver Department 2011/05/12 00:00:03 (permalink)
    Did the cops patrol and ticket?

We have a good downhill at the end of my street, the road ends in a T. Not bad when dry or even wet but with snow and/or ice it is murder. The house at the top of the T has always had large concrete barriers. The house on the right just added them last Fall. Several hits every Winter.
    GNeedles59
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re:Stupid Driver Department 2011/05/12 11:17:11 (permalink)
    lol HDE, that is hilarious.  I have a few buddies that are Cops and they tell me a story once in awhile.  Some people just go through life oblivious....
    Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Stupid Driver Department 2011/05/12 11:34:03 (permalink)
    MikeS.
    Did the cops patrol and ticket?

Yeah, they did. Unfortunately or fortunately....depending on whether you were a driver or spectator, it all ended after that. The issue I had was that the town wouldnt do anything about it at first, until is was escalated by the invisible boulders.I learned from all of that, "sometimes you have to create a need".

My neighbor told me a story about how he had tried to get hired at Home Depot years ago because he was experienced in plumbing and gas fireplaces. Every time he went there, nobody could answer any questions about them, so he applied. Nothing....He applied again, nothing....
    Then he put in the suggestion box twice a week about how there was nobody in the plumbing dept that could answer any questions. After 3 weeks of doing that, he applied AGAIN and got a job a week after! LOL ""Sometimes you have to create a need"".....which is what was done by painting the rocks black. It escalated the problem to the point that we HAD to be taken seriously.

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Stupid Driver Department 2011/05/12 11:49:54 (permalink)
    the number of people who run red lights in this town is shocking. No to mention the speeders.

Capitol Hill is a neighborhood, but Marylanders heading home from work, act as if it's just a barrier to beat to get to I-295. Racing down neighborhood streets and past small parks.

The police, frankly, have other fish to fry than agressive drivers.

bartl
    • Total Posts : 1315
    Re:Stupid Driver Department 2011/05/18 20:44:15 (permalink)
    1) I was walking across a street on a crosswalk, with the green light. A cop was standing about 3 feet away. The driver of an SUV turning right got impatient and moved forward (barely) touching me. I wasn't hurt, by the SUV but my ears were ringing for a few minutes from the shouting the cop was giving the SUV driver.

2) Demonstration of how seriously they take school buses in Queens, NY. There is a street which consists of a side lane, a 15 foot wide sidewalk, 6 lanes with a 3 foot concrete divider in the center, another 15 foot wide sidewalk, and another side lane. A friend went down one side lane, unknowingly passing a school bus that was all the way in the other side lane. She got a $350 fine and 3 points on her license.

3) In New York City, beating moving violations is relatively easy, although it helps to be genuinely not guilty (as opposed to New Jersey, where you are guilty until proven innocent, and even after). Almost always, the fact that you bothered to fight it in court will get you a reduction; often, the officer won't show up and everybody is found not guilty. This is to give you a background. I had a co-worker who was a VERY good worker, but rather obnoxious in her demeanor (since I was a manager, I had little problem with the balance). She went to court with solid proof that what she was accused of was physically impossible. The judge raised the fine. The other members of our staff could only imagine what she did in court...

Bart
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1