Stupid Soup

Author
unalaskawoman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
2006/05/21 22:22:35 (permalink)

Stupid Soup

So somehow we ended up with a #10 can (industrial/institutional size - I mean huge) of green salsa in our pantry, which I had planned to donate to the school or somewhere that could use it, but just hadn't gotten around to it. One Sunday evening, my Spousal Unit was settling down to watch TV and munch on tortilla chips, only to find that we were out of the red salsa he likes to eat with them. So, he opens this #10 can of green salsa, over my strenuous objections, to use only a tiny portion of it for chip-dipping. I thought that was really stupid. What the heck was I going to do with this HUGE tupperware full of leftover green salsa? Monday night I thawed some boneless/skinless chicken breasts, and cooked them with lots of cumin, Mexican oregano, and chili powder. Meanwhile, I boiled water and a bunch of cilantro stems I'd been saving in the freezer for just such an occasion. Strained out the stems and mixed the cilantro broth with some homemade veggie broth I also had in the freezer. Sauteed lots of onions, garlic, shallots, celery, a yellow squash I had lying around, again with lots of cumin, Mexican cilantro, and chili powder. Cubed the cooked chicken. Added the chicken, sauteed vegetables, MOST of the leftover green salsa, a large can of crushed tomatoes, lime juice, more spices to taste, a cup of frozen corn for good measure, and heated through. Served with sour cream, fresh cilantro, lime juice, and crushed tortilla chips, plus sliced jalapenos for heat-loving Spousal Unit. It was, if I do say so myself, quite tasty, with a bit of a kick; basically just a variation on tortilla soup. Fairly healthy, other than the oil used for sauteeing and the sour cream (couldn't find fat free - so sad!) Was going to name it "How To Use Up A #10 Can Of Green Salsa When Your Honey Opens It And Only Uses A Cup" Soup, but I shortened it to "Stupid Soup." He liked it so much he didn't even mind the name.

3 Replies Related Threads

WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Stupid Soup 2006/05/21 23:52:56 (permalink)
    I thought you were going to describe somethiing simple and easy. . . that was not simple or easy, but it sounds really, really good!
    Serve with lime slices and rice?
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Stupid Soup 2006/05/22 07:10:36 (permalink)
    Actually sounds pretty good and a great way to rotate out the freezer. I bet It also would be great chilled on a hot summer day. Chow Jim
    unalaskawoman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Stupid Soup 2006/05/22 21:42:54 (permalink)
    xannie_01, I see a LARGE pot of chowder in your future....
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1