Submarine Sandwiches?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Submarine Sandwiches? 2005/02/15 20:30:55 (permalink)
I see alot of deli style subs described, but my favorites come from a pizza shop! Love them baked "Pizza Subs"! More toppings the better! And ya, no mayo...
SouthHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Submarine Sandwiches? 2005/02/18 01:28:05 (permalink)
creek rat, I was never imressed with the Huntington restaurant scene. . . kinda average. . . like Charleston.
Marshall is a good school. . . like most, it is what you make it.
I live in Charleston. Not much here either. There are no really good places except for our one sushi place. . . the other supposedly good places are way over priced, over hyped, pretentious and not that good.
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Submarine Sandwiches? 2005/02/23 14:41:20 (permalink)
The "Yellow Submarine" in Maple Shade, N.J. made the best subs for miles around, I say made because I haven't been up north in yrs, I hope they are still in business, a small family run place, the family lived over the store. Theses subs were/are HUGE! A hearty appetite would be hard pressed to finish a half sandwich..
CENTRALVA
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Submarine Sandwiches? 2005/02/23 15:12:05 (permalink)
Hello southhillbilly. I also grew up in the Charleston area, and you are correct, it is lacking in the roadfood category. I know it is off topic, but have you ever tried Diehl's family restaraunt in Nitro, Wva? We always enjoy their homecooking when we make it back to town. The only decent subs in my opinion are the oven baked italian at the Gino's locations in the area.
pacman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 160
RE: Submarine Sandwiches? 2005/03/01 11:06:19 (permalink)
Here is a link to a story about a 'Hoagie' shop near where I grew up. Thought someone may be interested. By the way, back in the day they had the best HOAGIES, nice wide firm rolls and yes they did have MAYO on them. Haven't had one in years. Gotta try to get in there sometime when I am back visiting my parents.

Dan

<< http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=6320920&BRD=2212&PAG=461&dept_id=465812&rfi=6>>
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Submarine Sandwiches? 2005/03/01 13:41:49 (permalink)
Back in the 40s we used to get "Grinders" from a small Italian deli in Madison Ct. (the place may actually have been in Clinton or Guilford). Those Grinders, made with a great Italian loaf, generous portins of Genoa Salami, Provolone, shredded letuce, tomato, onions, vinegar and olive oil, and with a liberal sprinkling of black pepper were the best I've ever had. Nowadays when I want a decent sub I buy the makings at our local Italian deli and produce stand and put it all together at home. The problem with most subs is an inferior grade of salami and provolone, unripe tomato, and a really bad roll.

Cheers, John
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18957
RE: Submarine Sandwiches? 2005/03/01 13:45:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Back in the 40s we used to get "Grinders" from a small Italian deli in Madison Ct. (the place may actually have been in Clinton or Guilford). Those Grinders, made with a great Italian loaf, generous portins of Genoa Salami, Provolone, shredded letuce, tomato, onions, vinegar and olive oil, and with a liberal sprinkling of black pepper were the best I've ever had. Nowadays when I want a decent sub I buy the makings at our local Italian deli and produce stand and put it all together at home. The problem with most subs is an inferior grade of salami and provolone, unripe tomato, and a really bad roll.

Cheers, John

I'd bet it was Clinton. I don't recall any good subs from Madison or Guilford, but there was a place on the Post Road -- the north side of the Post Road -- right in the center of Clinton, where they made really terrific subs.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Submarine Sandwiches? 2005/03/01 17:22:45 (permalink)
Mike: the place was on the Post Rd but all else I remember is the delicious smell of the place and that it had a lot of white tile, and ther man who ran it seemed to work alone. Foodwise Madison didn't have much to offer, except a farmer who fresh picked the corn when you arrived at his stand( but that may not have been in Madison either) , a liquor store on the Post rd. that sold us gin with no questions asked, and a small Grand Union(?). A little south of Madison was Whitey's and a nice seafood house called, I think, The Chello, where they served a great shore dinner. Pizza was pretty exotic food for us in those days, but we did have it sometimes and I don't think we drove all the way to North Haven to get it - although we did drive down there for the auto races at a little half (maybe quarter) mile track.

Cheers, John
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18957
RE: Submarine Sandwiches? 2005/03/01 18:22:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Mike: the place was on the Post Rd but all else I remember is the delicious smell of the place and that it had a lot of white tile, and ther man who ran it seemed to work alone. Foodwise Madison didn't have much to offer, except a farmer who fresh picked the corn when you arrived at his stand( but that may not have been in Madison either) , a liquor store on the Post rd. that sold us gin with no questions asked, and a small Grand Union(?). A little south of Madison was Whitey's and a nice seafood house called, I think, The Chello, where they served a great shore dinner. Pizza was pretty exotic food for us in those days, but we did have it sometimes and I don't think we drove all the way to North Haven to get it - although we did drive down there for the auto races at a little half (maybe quarter) mile track.

Cheers, John
Chello's Oyster House down the hill from Whitey's going toward New Haven. That was a great place. Their driveway and parking lot were paved with crushed oyster shells, and they had this huge pile of oyster shells out behind the building. I'd always get fried scallops there when I was a kid.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1