Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Submarine Sandwiches?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 39
anselmo1

• Total Posts: 126
Submarine Sandwiches? Fri, 02/4/05 6:53 PM (permalink)
When I was younger, a 12 inch submarine sandwich roll was also wide and not as narrow as today's rolls. The first 12 inch submarine sandwich I had was an Italian Salami with Provolone Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, Onions and oil. The cost was 69 cents back in 1961.

Today, you get half the submarine for $5.99 and up. The quality of the cold cuts has also gone down hill. The great sub shops that were individually owned are now controlled by chains.

Only wish I could get a decent submarine sandwich on a decent roll.
The only submarines worth the money are at Wegman's Sub Shops and at Dibella's in my area of WNY.

http://www.wegmans.com
http://dibellas.com

Anyone else notice the changes over the years? I can't stomach a Subway or Quiznos Sub.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
    RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Fri, 02/4/05 7:11 PM (permalink)
    Quality down in most all areas of retail food business; most likely due to labor & food costs.

Or perhaps poor managment???

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002170453_quiznos04.html

Donna Douglass

• Total Posts: 508
      RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Fri, 02/4/05 7:31 PM (permalink)
      Oh yes, the subs back in the 60s were to die for, weren't they? We used to get them at a local Italian restaurant at a very reasonable price (for six of us) and they were warm and delicious. Then that restaurant burned down and we began getting them at another Italian place but they gradually declined in quality to the point that we quit buying them altogether. Haven't had a good submarine in 40 years! But have great taste memories.

Donna

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
        RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Fri, 02/4/05 8:48 PM (permalink)
        anselmo, I'll second your comments on DiBella's subs. They are without doubt one of the best in the area. In fact, the little story on the bags used at Wegman's Sub Shops explains how Danny Wegman was waiting in a long line at lunch time at the Dibella's near Wegmans HQ. The subs were so good, he asked Joey DiBella to help him set up the Wegman's sub shops.

I can't remember what subs cost back in the mid 60's when i started enjoying them, but it must have been around $1.75 to $2.00, and the pay scale was also a lot less back then. I honestly think in terms of minutes that I work a lot less to buy a good sub today.

creek rat

• Total Posts: 83
          RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Fri, 02/4/05 9:05 PM (permalink)
          Got my special Italian sub with extra oil at the White House sub shop in Atlantic City today. I will let the oil seep into that special Atlantic City bread for a couple of days before I devour it watching my "Iggles" make New England chowder. I feel sorry for all you Roadfooders who never had the real deal. Maybe someday you can make it to AC. and try the ultimate sub.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
            RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Fri, 02/4/05 11:30 PM (permalink)
            Anselmo, I second that. You need a roadtrip to the White House in Atlantic City for a regular italian. Only the best on the planet. Bread is delivered fresh every hour.

lampwick773

• Total Posts: 9
              RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Sat, 02/5/05 1:38 PM (permalink)
              If you are ever in Chicago, I recommend grabbing a sub from Bari Foods (an unassuming little Italian grocery store 1120 W.Grand Ave). Named for the region that occupies the heel - actually the upper heel - of "The Boot", the store imports Italian specialties, but it is 100% Chicago. AT the back of the store there is a sandwich/deli counter, where there is usually a line of people waiting for quantities of sausage, chops and, of course, sandwiches. They are cheap, fresh and BIG. The bread is fresh baked and crusty from D'Amatos bakery, which is next door, and I must warn you in advance: don't eat this in your car, or if you are wearing a suit!

My recommendation is Capiccola, Genoa Salami, and Prosciutto Cotto with spicy marinated eggplant and hot peppers... pick up a roll of Tums at the checkout though. Buon Appetito.

anselmo1

• Total Posts: 126
                RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Tue, 02/8/05 3:39 PM (permalink)
                I will definitely look Bari Foods the next time I am in Chicago. Sounds great!

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                  RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Tue, 02/8/05 4:01 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by creek rat

Got my special Italian sub with extra oil at the White House sub shop in Atlantic City today. I will let the oil seep into that special Atlantic City bread for a couple of days before I devour it watching my "Iggles" make New England chowder. I feel sorry for all you Roadfooders who never had the real deal. Maybe someday you can make it to AC. and try the ultimate sub.

Hey Creekrat---did you enjoy the chowder with that 3 day old sub!!Maybe you can get up to Mass and we can treat you to some REAL subs at Casa de Bella in Medfield--its just a short dive down the road to Gilette Stadium!

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
                    RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Tue, 02/8/05 4:41 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by signman

Anselmo, I second that. You need a roadtrip to the White House in Atlantic City for a regular italian. Only the best on the planet. Bread is delivered fresh every hour.

Signman and Creekrat, I know the White House is well known for their subs, but I honestly doubt they can be that much better than DiBella's. Talk about fresh rolls, Dibella's come from their own in-store bakery.

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
                      RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Tue, 02/8/05 5:24 PM (permalink)
                      Tampa has several good places to pick up a 'real' sub,best of the lot,on Dale mabre Hwy in North tampa is 'JERSEYSUBS'....also,the PUBLIX supermarket makes an all 'boars head' sub(for $6.50) that takes two meals to finish

creek rat

RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Tue, 02/8/05 6:14 PM (permalink)
                        I know the Iggles lost. Maybe next year. What makes the Whitehouse subs so good are the rolls. Believe it or not Atlantic Citys water has been judged to be the best in the US.Because the water is so soft the bread baked by the Italian bakeries rises in the oven in a special way. People who move from the Atlantic City area all say the one food they miss is the AC bread. The late greats Sinatra & Dimaggio had White House subs delivered at least once a month, Cosby still does, as well as many other famous entertainers. A White House sub is just something you have to experience first hand. Another great AC landmark one must experience is Tony's Baltimore Grill. Great Italian food at a small price

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                          RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Wed, 02/9/05 12:11 AM (permalink)
                          quote:

I know the Iggles lost. Maybe next year. What makes the Whitehouse subs so good are the rolls. Believe it or not Atlantic Citys water has been judged to be the best in the US.Because the water is so soft the bread baked by the Italian bakeries rises in the oven in a special way. People who move from the Atlantic City area all say the one food they miss is the AC bread. The late greats Sinatra & Dimaggio had White House subs delivered at least once a month, Cosby still does, as well as many other famous entertainers. A White House sub is just something you have to experience first hand. Another great AC landmark one must experience is Tony's Baltimore Grill. Great Italian food at a small price

actually--ive had a whitehouse sub---great stuff!!! I am now living in Oklahoma and really miss good italian breads that were everywhere in my youth---i especially lust for some of the killer rolls from Mazio's Bakery in Milford Mass!!! every Sunday we would get two bags of thier rolls and a couple of loaves of Scalla!! the bread never made it past sundown!! and the rolls were the basis of my Dad and myn lunches for a couple of days---i can still taste the pepper and egg sandwiches on those rolls today and its been 35 years!!!

CarolinaBill

• Total Posts: 207
                            RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Thu, 02/10/05 11:58 AM (permalink)
                            Those of you in the Northeast are truly fortunate when it comes to subs. I grew up in Pittsburgh and remember a few memorable "hoagies" (as we called them). At some point, I am going to have to go to AC for a White House Italian, it sounds like the nirvana of sub-dom.

I am convinced that the X-factor that Northeast subs have is the proper bread, preferably an Italian bread loaf that just isn't duplicated in other parts of the country. We do have an outlet of a small chain here, Mike's Giant Jersey Subs, that makes a pretty good sandwich, and Publix' Boar's Head Subs are good too. But 99% of our market is Subway and Quizno's. I can tolerate the Quiz, but Subway is unbearable. Just like McDonald's...a Subway "sub" tastes EXACTLY as bland in Boise as it does in Boiling Springs, SC.

SouthHillbilly

• Total Posts: 295
                              RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Thu, 02/10/05 12:57 PM (permalink)
                              Ah yes, an old fashioned submarine sandwich. . . Italian meats, provolone, finely sliced onion, shredded lettuce, thin sliced tomato and that great topping of oil and vinegar with a little oregano mixed in.
                              And yes, on a wide 12" roll.

CarolinaBill

• Total Posts: 207
                                RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Thu, 02/10/05 1:12 PM (permalink)
                                And NO MAYO on subs!!!!! Tips for travelers to South, if you don't like mayo on your sub (and you shouldn't!), you must remind them here at least three times to leave it off. They put mayo on EVERYTHING here!

creek rat

RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Thu, 02/10/05 1:17 PM (permalink)
                                  Carolinabill, you are right on about the roll! Also the term hoagie is actually a Philly term named after a woman who made sanwiches for the ship builders on Hog Island in the Delaware River somehow the term Hogies as they were called evolved into Hoagies. Here at the jersey shore though locals call their rolls subs.

creek rat

RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Thu, 02/10/05 1:24 PM (permalink)
                                    Southbilly, anyone who has been to Rocco's in Cerruto WV. knows what great Italian food is. Your recipe for a great sub is right on!! Caroliabill, you are right ! Never ever, ever mayo on a sub!

twodales

• Total Posts: 205
                                      RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Thu, 02/10/05 2:09 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by lampwick773

If you are ever in Chicago, I recommend grabbing a sub from Bari Foods (an unassuming little Italian grocery store 1120 W.Grand Ave). Named for the region that occupies the heel - actually the upper heel - of "The Boot", the store imports Italian specialties, but it is 100% Chicago. AT the back of the store there is a sandwich/deli counter, where there is usually a line of people waiting for quantities of sausage, chops and, of course, sandwiches. They are cheap, fresh and BIG. The bread is fresh baked and crusty from D'Amatos bakery, which is next door, and I must warn you in advance: don't eat this in your car, or if you are wearing a suit!

My recommendation is Capiccola, Genoa Salami, and Prosciutto Cotto with spicy marinated eggplant and hot peppers... pick up a roll of Tums at the checkout though. Buon Appetito.

This sounds great. There's another place in Chicago on the Northwest in Edison Park. (Lots of cops and firemen live here). There's a little store called Tony's Italian Deli that also makes good subs to order and has a nice deli selection. Good homemade cannolis at the register too. The address is 6708 N. Northwest Highway, 773-631-0055 Maybe 3 miles from O'Hare airport.
                                      Read more here:
                                      http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/search/25858,0,4134114,reviews.venue?]

SouthHillbilly

RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Fri, 02/11/05 1:56 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:

Southbilly, anyone who has been to Rocco's in Cerruto WV. knows what great Italian food is. Your recipe for a great sub is right on!! Caroliabill, you are right ! Never ever, ever mayo on a sub!

CreekRat, does Rocco's make subs like that?! I love that place!
                                        Have you tried their frozen stuff they're selling at Krogers? The best frozen lasagna you'll ever taste!

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                                          RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Fri, 02/11/05 2:06 PM (permalink)
                                          My boss and I wanted to take a drive to Williamsburg the other day for a little sightseeing, so we stopped at a Zero's Subs in Newport News, VA and each got a sub and I got a grinder. They specialize in Philly cheesesteaks, but also serve all kinds of subs, hot and cold. They are a small chain in VA & NC, and one or two states out west. They're nothing fancy, pretty plain, and I would call them roadfood were they not the small chain. But I've not seen anyone comment on them here, so, they're not that big.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                            RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Sat, 02/12/05 12:11 PM (permalink)
                                            Believe it or not, Arby's used to have a very good Italian sub with Italian dressing. It had several meats, cheese and onions and was tangy. All we have around here (Versailles, KY) is Subway and to me everything there tastes the same

Andrea

creek rat

RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Sat, 02/12/05 12:57 PM (permalink)
                                              Southbilly, Rocco, believe it or not, got his early training in a sub shop in Atlantic City NJ. I thought he said Joe's which is no longer open.He told me that he was originally from Fairmont or Clarksburg WV. but learned most of trade at various italian restaurants in AC. Whether or not he sells subs I can't tell you. It would be worth a road trip to find out. Wish I lived closer cause I would be there tonite to find out!!! Thanks for the tip about Krogers but alas no Krogers in NJ. Will have to wait for a road trip to N. Myrtle Beach. Rat

mbmusgrove

• Total Posts: 6
                                                RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Sat, 02/12/05 12:59 PM (permalink)
                                                Has anyone here tried Jersey Mike's Subs? Several people mentioned JerseySubs and Mike's Giant Jersey Subs? Is that the same thing?

Any opinions on JM's? The portions are huge and everything is sliced fresh in front of you. To me they are FAR better than the major chains, and anything you can get in S.C. Quizno's is OK but if you don't eat them there they get mushy and fall apart, while Jersey Mike's are good even the next day. Also I heard Quizno's doesn't post the nutritional information and they are really high fat/calorie. I think it's the sauces.

creek rat

RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Sat, 02/12/05 1:01 PM (permalink)
                                                  AndreaB, what is Italian dressing? I lived in southern Indiana for a number of years and never heard of it.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                                    RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Sat, 02/12/05 1:04 PM (permalink)
                                                    The Italian dressing was a vinigarette type dressing, not a creamy dressing

creek rat

RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Sat, 02/12/05 1:16 PM (permalink)
                                                      MBNMUSGROVE,Jersey Mikes is not that bad and does it in a pinch. Just order a whole Italian, lettuce and tomato with onion, a little oregano and extra oil. The big drawback to Jersey Mikes is the bread. I don't know where they bake it but it is terrible. They don't tear out some of the insides like they should to insure proper cotainment of contents. Like CarolinaBill says remind them not to never ever put mayo on your sub.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                                                        • Location: Syracuse, NY
                                                        RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Sun, 02/13/05 9:01 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by lampwick773

I used to go to a little neighborhood shop about 5 blocks west of the UIC campus. It was an Italian grocery shop with a counter at the back. They made great subs on crusty bread,(Gonnella, I think) with a garlicky giardennera (sp?)wrapped in butcher paper, quite sloppy.

I had grown up on Kings Subs in Cortland, which are quite different; soft sub rolls, shredded lettuce, lots of dressing. The Chicago subs took some getting used to for me. Some of my Chicago friends came through town and I took them to Kings, and they were not impressed.

Now back in central NY, I continue to consume Kings as I have now for about thirty years, kinda miss those Chicago subs though...

SouthHillbilly

• Location: Alum Creek, WV
                                                          RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Tue, 02/15/05 12:08 PM (permalink)
                                                          creek rat, what's your WV connection?

Yea, I make the hour long trip to Rocco's once every month or two and pick up a tray of lasagna at Krogers about as often. . . I try not to partake of too much of a good thing as it can get dull after a while.

BTW: I know of NO good subs in WV and am very familiar with the Fairmont/Clarksburg area.

creek rat

• Location: Linwood, NJ
                                                            RE: Submarine Sandwiches? Tue, 02/15/05 8:09 PM (permalink)
                                                            SouthHillBilly, my daughter went to Marshall and graduated last year so I became familiar with Huntington's eateries, many of which have closed. It is a shame, it is such a nice town but needs something like casino gambling to revitalize the downtown. We enjoyed the chili & rib festivals that they had along the river and tried to make as many as we could. We often would stop at the Clarksburg area on the way to Huntington. It broke up the trip nicely for us. I know what you mean about subs. Their was one sub shop near Marshall that toasted their subs,I forget the name of the place, but actually a buddy of mine tried one and said it was not bad. I will try to stop in Rocco's next summer on my way to Indiana to see my son. Are you close to Charleston?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 39

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com