Successful with Pulled Pork?

Author
brickboo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
2013/06/14 18:43:56 (permalink)

Successful with Pulled Pork?

Have any of you folks changed to, or added Pull Pork to your tow behind cart at a "DAILY LOCATION" with any success?

I have a new location in front of a "Carquest" store just kitty corner from a nice busy "Farmers Market" on Saturdays. I'm gonna start next week, but I think the "Farmers Market will start a week later. It is a free spot. It can't be worst than at the "Walgreens" I've been doing weekly.

I want to try the Jack Daniels or the Byron's brand pulled pork from Sam's Club. 
post edited by brickboo - 2013/06/14 23:58:10

21 Replies Related Threads

C2CD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/14 20:10:52 (permalink)
    No way to smoke and pull your own?
    sillydogz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/14 20:24:44 (permalink)
    I'm sure it would sell. I think the byron's is better. I've heard the Jack Daniels is over processed and mushy. I'd say come up with a really good sauce and maybe top it with slaw and diced pickles. You say people don't like hot dogs in your area, do they like bbq?
    top^dog
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/14 20:39:30 (permalink)
    Brickboo, i am a little surprised you didnt do well in front of a walgreens...there is a lot of foot traffic at walgreens and they dont sell dogs...did you give it enough time and were you there everyday? for about 2-3 weeks?
    sillydogz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/14 21:18:18 (permalink)
    Boo, Have you called Ben at ben's carts to see if he could offer some helpful advice? Even if it cost a little more in licensing it might be worth it in the long run to score a spot in a downtown area. I think the key is foot traffic. I don't know of a single stand in my area that rely's solely on drive by people to stop. I have seen a few people try it that way and none of them last. 
    C2CD
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/14 22:12:32 (permalink)
    Yes Sillydogz is correct, foot traffic is key. People need to walk by and Smell it, and hear you shout little quirky things to get them to come by.
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/15 00:31:01 (permalink)
    TopDog, I did Walgreens last August through the fall and did a few 60, 70, 80,90 dollar days but many many days believe it or not I only did 10 to 15 dollars. I've said before that I tried Habitat For Humanity and it has way more folks in and out every day than Walgreens and it was a worse spot than Walgreens money wise!

SillyDogz, I will do the Byron's brand on your recommendation. I have noticed a couple of pictures of the pork with coleslaw. They look great. The folks around here didn't take to the "Slaw" with the hot dogs. Just a few folks tried it on my recommendation. I tried Macaroni and Cheese dogs too with the same result. I used Sara Lee buns with Nathans beef franks until recently when I tasted the Bakers and Chef brand and switched.

HotDogMafia, I don't want to spend hours at my commissary miles away. I hate going there for the gas etc. Don't get me wrong if I were doing 150 to 200 a day I wouldn't hesitate to run to the commissary. I'm scared to death to try to do pulled pork etc. at my home. I assume if I wanted to, I could cook the pork at the commissary and then again maybe not. 

It's also time for me to try new spots like Ben and his friends recommend to do after a few weeks of nothing happening. I do good at events. I'm going to talk to the car dealers in town for sales events etc. I just met another Auctioneer at my last Auction that is going to call me for his next Estate Auction. Tomorrow I'm doing a Veterans' sponsored car show and I have high hopes for that. 

I'm the only Hot Dog guy in the County doing days other than my friend who does Home Depot. There is one Family doing the Mexican foods and I'm sure they fix everything either at home or another commissary. They have a nice trailer on a busy highway at a small gas station.

Folks around here go after Mexican food like we go after fried chicken, crayfish, crabs, catfish and shrimp in New Orleans where I'm from. Haha. 

Just hearing someone recommend a brand like Byrons pulled pork takes a bit of the stress away. Thanks for all of the help. I really do appreciate it.
    C2CD
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/15 00:43:38 (permalink)
    Brickboo do you offer any sausages on your cart? maybe if they aren't in to the hot dogs in your area they would be more into sausages, another idea that I have done on my cart for Catering events is offer italian beef sandwiches. very simple yet very good. I would get hoagie rolls throw them in your steam pan, Vienna Beef pre cut/cooked Roast Beef, Vienna Beef Giardiniera, and Vienna Beef Au jus. Put the beef in the aus jus in a steam pan and the giardiniera on the condiment pan and hit them for $6 all day. Just some ideas. I really hope things work out for you and you find your niche and get your rhythm   
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/15 19:57:10 (permalink)
    I do Bratwurst. I'm going to try the pulled pork first. I'm wondering what the "Gestapo" will say?
    C2CD
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/15 20:32:08 (permalink)
    brickboo

I do Bratwurst. I'm going to try the pulled pork first. I'm wondering what the "Gestapo" will say?

LOL 
    top^dog
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/15 20:46:40 (permalink)
    It sounds like you are really trying....I think you may want to keep it a little simple and costs down in MOST areas people dont want to spend a lot for a dog....if you can get a georgia hot style dog try that...regional areas are different a brat wouldnt sell around here but georgia hots and kielbasa rule...also things wind down in august people are burger and hot dogged out and are ready to shift gears for back to school i make my hay aprik thru july and it slows down sept oct nov...and then we call it a season
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/15 21:17:22 (permalink)
    I thinkI made a mistake getting a cart for this area. Like I said the only guy doing anything with hot dogs is my buddy at Home Depot. I'm gonna plug away this year with a few different items and hit the car dealers and such about special events. 

If anything picks up, I'll try again next year. Then if there is no improvement, I'm gonna throw in the towel. I'm not gonna beat my head against a brick wall after next year. It won't take any more beating, I've been doing that all my life with brickwork. LOL!!!

I appreciate you folks trying to help me out. If I had a better vehicle, I'd try a little advertising for some other towns 50 to 100 miles away, but I need to conserve my vehicle . Many people are economizing today. I know I'm not alone. 
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/16 22:34:00 (permalink)
    Why don't you do taco's, you said they are popular around there!
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/16 22:52:58 (permalink)
    Tristan,
    At Walgreens Taco Bell is a 1/2 mile down the street from anywhere in my town of Fruita. If I go to Grand Junction most anywhere I would set up there would be three or four Taco Bell's a mile from where I would be. They love Taco Bell here. I do too. Haha!  Besides there are 10,000 more Mexican restaurants in town. A slight exaggeration.
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/16 23:58:45 (permalink)
    Do the pork, Boo. Buy one package, figure out the best sauce in your area and put a sign out. Offer slaw on it......What's to lose?
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/17 10:20:10 (permalink)
    Ya right again Jack!
    Thanks
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/17 12:14:57 (permalink)
    You can also top a dog with it, slaw optional.
    slammin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/24 15:42:31 (permalink)
    Hey Boo,
    Since you are going to be vending on the public sidewalk across the street from where the law chased you off, did you get legal" so they won't hassle you? 
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/06/24 22:08:15 (permalink)
    Sam,

I asked the desk lady if there was any way I could try a spot for a couple of weekends without having to pay a $25 fee and fill out all of those forms (even an aerial view of the site do you believe that) before I'd commit to one location. She is supposed to ask the honcho.

The Carquest spot across the street from the Brewery owns the property 8 feet from their door to the public sidewalk. So with the $25 fee and with the aerial view etc. it should not be a problem.

I still would like to try the spot a couple of times before I commit. I mean $25 is a lot of money to me now.

Might see you there Sam eh?,
    Boo Hargis
    djtomatoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/09/22 13:49:34 (permalink)
    I have served a pulled pork sandwich [pork from Costco] for about a year.
    it is still on the menue and is a great alternative to a dog or sausage.[variety is good!]
    I serve irt with picle, chips, and the pork is topped with cole slaw............YUMM!

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4205
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/09/22 14:30:25 (permalink)
    Brickboo,

Here you go, boo; thank me later:

http://brookwoodfarms.com/index.php/products/

I prefer the vinegar-based Carolina chopped style but your Colorado clients may prefer the Texas- pulled style.  It's all good from Brookwood! 

How do I know this product?  The owner of Weenie Beenie told me "his secret"!!!

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/6290/weenie-beenie
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/09/22 14:34:19
    irishstew
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    Re:Successful with Pulled Pork? 2013/10/02 17:52:15 (permalink)
    I have recently answered this on another forum, I understand about the health department/ commissary but mine really didn't have a problem with me making my tangy sauce and rub at the commissary and cooking the pork in a smoker at home. The smoker (either way) would be outside and I can't sit all night in a parking lot, nor would they want me to use their electricity for that long. I have an electric Masterbuilt. It is so cheap to make ($1.29/lb to $1.69/lb). I purchased the recipe for the rub/sauce from a S. Carolina Barbecue competitor. I also serve it with a S. Carolina slaw(vinegar based) It is EXCELLENT. At first my northern customers turn up their nose, until I served it on their pulled pork for free. The second time I came around everybody wanted the slaw! When people call me for a catering event they normally ask for my Pulled Pork and/or Italian Beef and my Eisenberg Hot Dogs.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1