Sudden Death in Dallas!

Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4088
2008/06/20 19:01:24 (permalink)

Sudden Death in Dallas!

BLT Steak (Bistro Laurent Tourondel) closed after only six months after a decently reviewed opening in the exclusive Galleria area of North Dallas.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2008/06/09/daily20.html

And so it follows the North Dallas demises of Morton's and Smith & Wollensky. Opening a high-end steak house in Dallas is the modern-day equivalent of "hauling coal to New Castle"!

Frankly, it shocks me that the North Dallas Ruth's Chris (several "cuts" below the above-mentioned business failures) is still in business.

11 Replies Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sudden Death in Dallas! 2008/06/22 12:09:50 (permalink)
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Sudden Death in Dallas! 2008/06/23 00:37:48 (permalink)
    I stayed right down the street (about 1/4 mile away!) from the BLT back in April.
    I was at the Prava Suites , (courtesy of priceline.com for $45.00 )(right across from the Galleria)
    I did Dallas first , then I flew to Austin for the Roadfood.com tour.

I remember that the BLT place was in a new strip shopping center on the corner, with a VERY small parking lot. It was one of those new concepts where they have pretty apartments attached to it..
    a live/shop/eat type of place. I noticed a "we'll mix your salad for you" place that looked tempting, also in that shopping center.

I laughed at the name of the shopping center, Village of the Green, as there was very little green!
    It seems like there are already so many other steak restaurants in Dallas, that a new place could easily not get the "welcome mat", for whatever reasons. But it was odd, cause like you said, the reviews were great. But this place in particular may have had poor marketing?
    Could it be limited parking that turned people off?

Have you tried that Dallas steakhouse called the "Ounce"? I think that's a fairly new place, too, right? I may try it on my next visit, (unless YOU tell me otherwise!)

I see that the Grill on the Alley even opened up a branch in the Galleria. Their original location is in Beverly Hills. I wonder if their "secret steak sandwich" off-menu item is available in Dallas, as well!

I agree with you about Ruths Chris.... there are a lot of places I like a lot better...

Sudden death, Jim?!? I'm glad nobody died, anyway....just the sudden death of a steakhouse...

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sudden Death in Dallas! 2008/06/23 08:51:40 (permalink)
    Dear Ellen,

1) My wife and I were chuckling at the "Village on the Green" center as it was being built - both at the oxymornic name and the lavish signage promising "high-end" this and "upscale that" - lest one might fear that the build-out on land that valuable would be crap. And you're right: they wanted to max out the number of rentable s.f. and forgot about parking. Oops!

2) I think BLT failed because of a "we're a hit in NYC, so you Dallas hicks should be appreciate the favor we have done you just by being here".

3) Ounce is over-priced in an over-saturated Addison market. I doubt that it will be around long. The same fate awaits The Grill on the Alley which is even more over-priced. BTW: did you know that Dallas has the most restaurant seats per capita than any other major city in the world?

4) I'd recommend Dakota's on a weekend as it is uncrowded then: it's a beautiful place with excellent food and service. Very near the Galleria is Del Frisco's Double Eagle which is excellent as are Perry's and Al Biernat's. If you want to venture up the Central to where Mrs. Metro and I settled, Rick's Chop House in McKinney is a gem.

5) Of course, I'd defer to Twinwillow as he has been in Dallas since the Kennedy Administration. For myself, I'd love to try Dunston's but "the boss" won't go down the Stemmons corridor even in the daylight!
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Sudden Death in Dallas! 2008/06/23 09:20:14 (permalink)
    Interesting. I note that BLT Steak is, in addition to NYC, in Washington, White Plains (NY), LA, Scottsdale and San Juan (and coming to Miami Beach). I wonder how the others are doing?

Here's a shot of the former Dallas BLT Steak:

http://www.bltsteak.com/
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sudden Death in Dallas! 2008/06/23 09:35:40 (permalink)
    Evidently, pretty well:

The restaurant issued a statement saying it ceased operations after dinner service on June 6, "despite every effort possible and accolades from local food critics in the Dallas market."

"We are perplexed by the lack of reception in the Dallas market," said Managing Partner Jimmy Haber, "especially in light of our success in New York City, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and Los Angeles."

Evidently, "attitude" does not do well in Dallas - especially when served at higher-than-market prices in, as Ellen observed, parking-challenged premises.

Il Mulino failed here and the Dallas Nobu isn't doing that well either.

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Sudden Death in Dallas! 2008/06/23 10:20:05 (permalink)
    YES, definitely an OXYMORONIC name, the Village on the Green... like I said , I LAUGHED, TOO..
    WHAT GREEN??!?
    I was an urban studies major in college, (back in the day) and I've always enjoyed observing land use, like what retail tenant mixture a place has, including even stores in a mall. (I should've been in mall management, huh?!?) So I could'nt help laughing at this Alpha Road shopping center. Obvious that they were trying to SQUISH IN as much as they could.
    I used to live in L.A., so I've seen a lot of squishing in. (like the new Playa Vista big condo development by Marina Del Rey)

Good points, Jim, and nice pic, Miami Don...(that Dallas BLT pic even has the Miami art deco look to it)

I noticed Del Frisco during one of my morning walks, too. As it was right next to the NEXT place I stayed at, the Hyatt on Spring Valley Road. (I did 2 nights at Prava, and 2 nights at Hyatt, both on Priceline. I like mixing it up! I'm a mattress hopper!)

However, since there is a Del Frisco in NYC, I did'nt go for the Dallas one. I had the "carpetbagger" steak at their NYC location, and loved it!!

I did Dunstons and Bob's Chop House with Twinwillow. He was real good company. (hear that , Twinwillow?!?) We went to the original Dunston's location on Lovers Lane... that area seemed okay, (maybe you are thinking of their Harry Hines location?)... and Twinwillows Silver Shop is in the same shopping center as the Lovers Lane Dunstons..

I'll look into that Dakota's place. Appreciate the rec., Jim..
    I had also heard that, about Dallas having "most restauarants per capita"; maybe THAT'S why I liked Dallas so much!
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Sudden Death in Dallas! 2008/06/23 10:39:09 (permalink)
    FYI, According to this: http://www.articlealley.com/article_108023_26.html

Dallas indeed does have the most restaurants per capita.

Ellen - NYC has the most restaurants of any place on the continent, and you're "a hop, skip and a jump" away. Keep dining, and don't forget your camera!
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Sudden Death in Dallas! 2008/06/23 16:05:27 (permalink)
    Village of the Green, as in $$$$$$$$$$.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Sudden Death in Dallas! 2008/06/23 16:42:11 (permalink)
    Hey Ellen, could the fact that we have Dunston's in Dallas explain the demises mentioned above? :~)

I do wish we had a Gallagher's in Dallas!

Dallas in a breeding ground for national restaurants. Chili's and On the Border started here. I'm sure I forgot a few.
    Joe
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sudden Death in Dallas! 2008/06/23 16:48:07 (permalink)
    quote:

We went to the original Dunston's location on Lovers Lane... that area seemed okay, (maybe you are thinking of their Harry Hines location?)... and Twinwillows Silver Shop is in the same shopping center as the Lovers Lane Dunstons..

I'll look into that Dakota's place.

THANKS! I was thinking about the Dunston's on Harry Hines (chop shops, pawn shops, bail bonds, check cashing, strip clubs, "massage" parlors, "tanning" salons, and generalized multi-ethnic criminality). I had no idea that they had another store on Lover's @ Inwood - a lovely 'hood where we enjoy breakfast & lunch at Breadwinner's and the occasional limited release film at the old Inwood Theatre.

Remember that Dakota's is a Friday - Saturday night treat when the crowds aren't so big. It's a real treat both for the eye and the palate.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Sudden Death in Dallas! 2008/06/23 17:12:18 (permalink)
    Jim, I have head nothing but good about Dakota's. It's on my " to go" list now.

I used to hustle pool on Harry Hines. I am REAL lucky to be alive!

The Lovers Dunston's location is the original location. Twinwillow has an office just around the corner, hint... hint. Due to family health problems I missed getting to meet Ellen and Twin there, shoot!
    Joe
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1