Sugar Wafers Have Vanished!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Michael Stern
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1026
2004/03/21 19:28:45 (permalink)

Sugar Wafers Have Vanished!

There have been no Nabisco Sugar Wafers ("Biscos") on grocery store shelves in my neighborhood in the last two weeks. And no explanation from the store managers I've beseeched for help. Does anybody know what's up? Is it only here in Fairfield County, CT? (I've looked in stores from Westport to Danbury, to no avail.) This is terrible; I'm Jonesing bad...

55 Replies Related Threads

chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/21 20:49:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

There have been no Nabisco Sugar Wafers ("Biscos") on grocery store shelves in my neighborhood in the last two weeks. And no explanation from the store managers I've beseeched for help. Does anybody know what's up? Is it only here in Fairfield County, CT? (I've looked in stores from Westport to Danbury, to no avail.) This is terrible; I'm Jonesing bad...

Wow, that is tough. Nabisco sugar wafers and fig newtons are the only "store bought" cookies we have in our household. I will investigate in our stores tomorrow and let you know what is going on here.
    KimChee43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/21 21:06:32 (permalink)
    MICHAEL: I'm in the Chicago area; I'll check out my local grocery store tomorrow for you.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/21 21:58:56 (permalink)
    MS, How do you stay so thin
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 08:20:01 (permalink)
    Michael.. The Krogers here in Louisville are stocked.. take a road trip... theres more to Louisville then Lynn's...
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 08:53:24 (permalink)
    I'm pretty sure I saw some in one of the grocery stores here, (I shop at a few different ones). If you need, I will check and send some to you. If you'd like.
    Michael Stern
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 09:23:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by angelfood

I'm pretty sure I saw some in one of the grocery stores here, (I shop at a few different ones). If you need, I will check and send some to you. If you'd like.

Thanks, I may need to take you up on your offer, but before we get into bootlegging Sugar Wafers , let me see if I can figure out what's going on here.
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 09:33:35 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by angelfood

Thanks, I may need to take you up on your offer, but before we get into bootlegging Sugar Wafers , let me see if I can figure out what's going on here.

LOL, okay.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 10:01:26 (permalink)
    It's was funny to see this post today. I stood in a grocery just last night & debated over picking up Nabisco sugar wafers or vienna fingers, the fingers won out.
    Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 10:10:31 (permalink)
    Nabisco sugar wafers are evil. Evil, evil, evil. I have to close my eyes or look the other way when I walk past them in the store. Even then, I hear them whispering nasty things to me as I pass. If only women seemed so eager to go home with me...

Michael Stern
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 10:33:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bill B.

Nabisco sugar wafers are evil. Evil, evil, evil. I have to close my eyes or look the other way when I walk past them in the store. Even then, I hear them whispering nasty things to me as I pass. If only women seemed so eager to go home with me...

Now, there's a comparison I dare not extend , considering my will-power issues with these beguiling creme-filled dainties. I must agree with you, Bill B.: When it comes to me and Sugar Wafers, one is too many and three stacks are not enough.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 10:58:45 (permalink)
    quote:

So...Mr. Stern is hooked on the (sugar) smack. Shocker.

Let's see, numerous books, magazine and on-line contributions, appearances and nearly daily travels...and you all thought he was simply an "over-achiever." Well, then, if an esteemed albeit rogue author is in a delirious state and in the fetal position behind Polly's Pancake Parlor with a day-old coating of white (sugar) around his mouth and nose is an over-achiever, than labels be damned.

Who's with me in altering next month's "Crabcake Meet & Greet" in Baltimore to an intervention for Michael? Mayor, could you doctor-up a letter from the Domino Sugar Company inviting the addict, er...author to accept some type of "award" in Baltimore next month?

And signman, rather than tables at G&M that day, could you simply have them arrange 40 chairs in a circle where, that day, we could all tell Michael that: the "white fiend" is not his friend; that we all care for him; and that each recovery journey begins with the first step?

People, we have a comrade in trouble here. We can either sit on the sidelines and continue to watch his "sweetner spiral" steer him away from this gateway drug and into full consumption of creme brulee and other even stronger intoxicants or -- and with the help of a methadone-like-aspartame treatment -- we can help our brother simply "say no."

The choice is ours.
    chezkatie
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 12:41:57 (permalink)
    Went to 4 different supermarkets this morning and they all have your "bisco's" on the shelf. Believe it or not, in the 3rd store, there was actually a Nabisco person putting cookies on the shelves. I told him of your problem in not finding any in your area. His answer was that different areas of the country have different Nabisco products in stores than in others. He said if a certain item does not sell that well, it is no longer sent to that distribution center. He also said that Nabisco wafer cookies are not really great sellers in any area.

They are very costly compared to the other creme filled wafer cookies on the grocery shelves. A store brand selling for $1.29 per pound. A brand name one sells for $3.29 per pound and the Nabisco wafers sell for an average price of $6.89 in this area. This might just be the reason that they are not "big sellers".
    i95
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 12:52:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

there was actually a Nabisco person putting cookies on the shelves

As Michael apparently knows all too well, this is gang code for "pusher."
    Michael Stern
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 12:53:41 (permalink)
    i95... I will give up my Sugar Wafers when they pry them from my cold, dead hands. And forget Aspartame Wafers: they're like alcohol-free vodka! I NEED the real thing. [|)]
    i95
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 13:06:29 (permalink)
    Forget forty chairs in a circle for Baltimore next month, folks. Looks like we're gonna need 80, a whole mess of coffee and maybe the channeled love of everyone to save this lost soul.

It's going to hurt. It's going to be painful. But an intervention is not about us. It's about rescuing poor little Michael Stern from the "white demon" which is refined sugar.

Domino be damned !!!!!!!
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 13:21:40 (permalink)
    i95, are you sure you don't write for a living? That sure was a beautiful (and hilarious) bit of prose!! Hee hee!!
    i95
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 13:29:15 (permalink)
    quote:

i95... I will give up my Sugar Wafers when they pry them from my cold, dead hands. And forget Aspartame Wafers: they're like alcohol-free vodka! I NEED the real thing. [|)]

By the way, Mr. Stern, don't think that any of us don't get your above use of the following drug-culture icons ([|)]) to communicate to your fellow deviants that,"you love to party until you get disoriented or confused then drowsy before vomiting only to then consume 8 packets of table sugar" before starting the entire cycle of addiction all over again.

My God, are you a future guest for Dr. Phil, or what ?

Or better yet, a gorilla-style interview next time you're on NBC's "Today" show with Matt Lauer introducing you as:

"Our next guest is part of a team that has made the term 'road food'
    as popular of an American icon today as it was in the days
    when interstates were just introduced in this country.
    Today, to talk about his latest 'list' on epicurious.com is
    Michael Stern. Michael, welcome. Before we get started
    though, tell me about what I hear is your sucrose addiction..."

ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 749
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 13:44:33 (permalink)
    I think folks here have been consuming SOMETHING..in excess...and I don't think its Sugar Wafers....
    KimChee43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 13:54:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

I think folks here have been consuming SOMETHING..in excess...and I don't think its Sugar Wafers....

I never thought I'd use Sugar Wafers and "conspiracy theory" in the same sentence.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18257
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 14:51:45 (permalink)
    There be Nabisco Sugar Wafers in Krogerland.
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 14:56:38 (permalink)
    Guess what I just bought via Piggly Wiggly...an 81/2 oz. box of Biscos Sugar Wafers for $3.69 USD. MMMMmmmm.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 15:20:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Michael Stern said:
    i95... I will give up my Sugar Wafers when they pry them from my cold, dead hands. And forget Aspartame Wafers: they're like alcohol-free vodka! I NEED the real thing.

Michael, alcohol-free vodka? Isn't that also known as water ???

I know what you mean, most of the cheaper store brand sugar wafers are not as good as the Nabisco ones, although I am partial to the Voortman ones Wegman's carries in the generic/bulk food section. The Voortman windmill cookies and the chocolate covered sugar wafers. YUM !!
    FredC
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 15:44:47 (permalink)
    Perhaps they have gone the way of the marshmellow sandwich (a marshmellow between two vanilla wafers)--I checked with Nabisco and they no longer make the marshmellow sandwich which was my favorite.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 15:57:39 (permalink)
    Stick with what you like. The Nabisco product is the tastiest, while the Italian ones are pretty good. However, I bought some coconut flavored wafers that were from Taiwan in a Chinese grocery here in San Francisco, and while they were cheap, I kept wondering, "Did they use any sugar?" They tasted "coconutty" enough but simply weren't sweet. The cheap domestic ones leave a greasy feel to the roof of my mouth. Thus, here are two definitions of "false economy."

Please be sure to tell your grocer what you want. How else will they know?
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 16:05:08 (permalink)
    My name is Lone Star, and I like to eat junk. Lots of it. And I am proud.
    i95
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 16:17:03 (permalink)
    Welcome Lone Star. We all like to eat junk. We are not here to judge. Everyone of us is special and his or her own way.

Now, let's get out our Courage Journals and list five things that we find positive about ourselves.

ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 16:39:54 (permalink)
    If we can get Michael here to Baltimore, I understand that Hopkins has a great sucrose treatment center. The big problem is getting him past Vaccarro's on the way to Hopkins.
    chezkatie
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/22 17:16:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ocdreamr

If we can get Michael here to Baltimore, I understand that Hopkins has a great sucrose treatment center. The big problem is getting him past Vaccarro's on the way to Hopkins.

I really cannot imagine him at Vaccarro's.................He would forget his sugar wafers in 5 minutes!
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Sugar Wafers Have Vanished! 2004/03/23 09:08:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:
    Originally posted by ocdreamr

I really cannot imagine him at Vaccarro's.................He would forget his sugar wafers in 5 minutes!

Yeah, I would definitely take one of their pignoli cookies over a sugar wafer anyday!!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1