Sugardale Super Dogs

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5030
2008/08/06 15:20:00 (permalink)

Sugardale Super Dogs

My local Piggly Wiggly has[url='http://www.sugardalefoods.com/Wieners.aspx']Sugardale Super Dogs[/url] in the 5-lb. package but I have no interest in trying them. They have a highly processed look (for some reason I almost want to say they have a vinyl-y appearance) and the color just doesn't seem quite right, and IIRC they're made from a beef/pork/chicken mixture. I'm curious to know if anyone here's ever tried them (in a different thread CCJPO mentioned working at one time for Sugardale) and if I'm accurate in thinking that they'd taste bland and have a mushy texture. In fact, they kind of remind me of overgrown canned Vienna sausages...

Brad

4 Replies Related Threads

David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: Sugardale Super Dogs 2008/08/06 16:32:34 (permalink)
    I have seen those Sugardale franks sold in those poor people's supermarkets in the Bronx. They go for the equivalent of $1.25 a pound. These same places sell Bronx-produced Sabrett franks for $3 a pound, cheaper if on sale. Brands like Sugardale appeal to the price conscious market. I think you are correct in assuming they are bland and have a mushy texture. From the looks of them, I have no desire to try them either. I would be surprised if any regular on this forum raved about them.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Sugardale Super Dogs 2008/08/06 17:13:09 (permalink)
    I haven't tried the franks, but I like to go to Piggly Wiggly to buy my chickens. Most chickens in the grocery are around 4 pounds. At PW you can still buy 2.5 to 2.75 pounds, ... this is how they USED to be. Trust me, the size makes a huge difference when it comes to frying and BBQing.

Dennis in Cary
    gschwim
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Sugardale Super Dogs 2008/08/07 02:41:46 (permalink)
    If you want a good, cheap hotdog (about $3.00/pkg. where I bought them), try Stahlmeyer's. At least, I liked them.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: Sugardale Super Dogs 2008/08/07 15:17:42 (permalink)
    I end up watching many out-of-market baseball games with my youngest son. There are some Sugardale (pictured) advertising boards/displays behind home plate, during many games.

Whenever they pop up, he laughs and reminds me to never ever ever buy those sick plastic-looking hot dogs, no matter what!!! Put it on the list (not that I really wanted to buy them) right next to the Carl Budding sandwich meat, that looks equally appealing. Ick!!

When I combine a sale (especially in the summer) with coupons from the weekly newspaper, the result is many quality items, for very reasonable prices. It is very possible to save tons of money, without sacrificing quality. If you have a store that doubles or triples mfr. coupons, you can feed an army, on any budget!!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1