Suggestion to the Contingent

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
boyardee65
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1460
Re:Suggestion to the Contingent 2010/01/03 05:12:11 (permalink)
  I don't have any social networking accounts nor do I want to have any, so this is a no brainer for me. Count me out. I would much rather read about it here on the original site.
  The older generation (including me) have a hard time navigating the WEB as it is. To add another site that I have to visit just to get info on meet and greets seems like overkill to me.

As always, J.M.H.O.

David O.

ChuckL50
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
Re:Suggestion to the Contingent 2010/01/03 14:45:10 (permalink)
boyardee65

I don't have any social networking accounts nor do I want to have any, so this is a no brainer for me. Count me out. I would much rather read about it here on the original site.

Don't worry Dave. I'm not sure why the "totally unclear on the concept" response has been  posted by some here. There is not now, nor has there ever been a movement by anyone to break away from Roadfood.com. This has always been, as far as I can tell, about communicating in a timely manner with each other when something new is happening, as well as bringing new folks in. Everything points back to Roadfood.com.

The older generation (including me) have a hard time navigating the WEB as it is. To add another site that I have to visit just to get info on meet and greets seems like overkill to me.

As always, J.M.H.O.

David O.

I wonder how old Jobs, Woz, and Gates are?
Like I said, nothing has changed. It will all still be here.
Enjoy!
Chuck

ChuckL50
Hamburger
Re:Suggestion to the Contingent 2010/01/03 15:17:36 (permalink)
Davydd,
I'm looking forward to meeting you at one of the Contingent's Eat and Greets soon. We can sit around and reminiscence about the good ol' days of UUNET, Usenet newsgroups, and the joys of setting up code strings in the registers on 300 baud acoustic coupled modems.

But to the present (and future). I'm afraid that your analysis of Web 2.0 or the social web pretty much reminds me of the response by many dead tree newspaper owners to the demand for online news. And we all know how well that's playing out now.

And with all due respect, I believe that you've completely missed the point. As any SEO worth his non-existent profession will tell you, it's all about driving the traffic. Having additional PM capability greatly improves the communication within this tiny walled garden. And for that I'm thankful. I am not one of the folks who sign on and stay on here all day. Many times I've been emailed by others here asking me why I haven't responded to something. It's because I didn't know about it. Now I will.

Even the good folks who are behind this recognize the reality of today's web. Hence the following: Roadfood or Roadfood New Orleans or even Roadfood123 and Kathrinecurry .

And now this: The Contingent

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
Re:Suggestion to the Contingent 2010/01/03 17:19:29 (permalink)
ChuckL50
And now this: The Contingent

I don't think my comments were off. Like I said I suspect I was an earlier adopter of Facebook and Twitter before most here in Roadfood.com. But my premise. The Contingent was coined here on Roadfood.com and has had some success with gatherings. But now there are two Contingents, one here and one on Facebook. Are the members of the Facebook Contingent regular contributors here? Will the Roadfood.com Contingent be regular contributors to Facebook? Already that seems to be a split as discussed in this thread. Now which Contingent is the official one? Which one takes the lead? Will it eventually split off into two distinct groups? Will dividing weaken one or the other or both? Will people get frustrated with conflicting information and messages between the two? Those are all real questions. As I mentioned over the past year I've been watching this happen with the RV.net Class B RV rally attenders.

One problem with Facebook Groups and Fan Pages I see are they are too passive. Yahoo Groups seem to generate more message interactivity as they seem more like the modern version of Usenet Newsgroups. People join Facebook groups but they don't participate as actively in message boards as they do on Roadfood.com. For sure there are just as many passive people on Roadfood.com reading boards here but the posters are the "actors" that provide the action. Actors don't seem to emerge on Facebook as readily. I think the shotgun anarchy like posting to group walls rather than the discussion boards contributes to the passivity. Notifications lack as well on Facebook.

I did mention the model may eventually supplant dedicated forums like Roadfood.com but right now Facebook is a friend driven system and the action takes place on peoples' individual Walls and the Home page that consolidates comments. That alone is an interesting dynamic because everyone's Home page is different than others. It is quite an interweb of intrigue. My wife's is entirely different than mine though we share numerous friends. When I had my little episode three weeks ago my wife wrote on her Wall to update our common friends. Upon waking and having the breathing tube removed I had to prove with my heart stopped for several hours that I still had some cognitive sense to instruct her how to post to my wall to inform the rest of my friends.

Facebook is in its infancy as well. It keeps changing and not always for the better. I think one of its downfalls may eventually be lack of control by individuals being dependent on Facebook's whims. Facebook quickly supplanted the early leader MySpace. Many think Twitter is more the future than Facebook. My problem with Twitter is too much babble and too many people that can't present coherently in 140 characters. So I follow very few and rely more on search or periodically go to the profile of an individual (rather than follow) to find things of interest to me when I feel like it.
ChuckL50
Hamburger
Re:Suggestion to the Contingent 2010/01/03 20:44:29 (permalink)
First, let me say that I sincerely hope that all is well with you now, and that you are fully on the road to recovery and on that road to some great eats.

While I believe that your analysis of the current social web is at least 2 yrs out of date, and could have easily been written by John C. Dvorak, (and then later on refuted by him as well),  let's get to the actual issues here.
Your argument that it's "either or" is a false dichotomy. There is no split other than some Roadfood forum users do not want to use Facebook. So be it. The purpose as stated clearly is not to supplant Roadfood.com in any way. It is to draw in more users. It is to provide the Contingent members who are not regular visitors to this site an early warning that something is happening here. And, just so you know, there are a great many who enjoy our Eat and Greets, but as of now don't participate in this forum. I know this by the hit count I have whenever I use Twitter/Twitpic/Facebook to document our Eat and Greets. Hopefully they will now. By your logic Roadfood.com itself should take down it's own Facebook fan pages. This site will continue to be the "home" of the Contingent since this is, as you correctly stated, were it started, and many of it's lead members do not use Facebook. There are already people on the Facebook page who are not here yet, but they will be. Again, all postings on Facebook point back to here. The purpose is more frequent communication among all of us, not just the usual suspects.
And on a side note, you mentioned the use of Yahoo groups. Folks who know me IRL would agree that I'm pretty good at spotting trends, so I'll say for the record that I expect Yahoo.com to join Netscape.com and AOL.com in the "remember when" category in the next 5 years.
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 689
Re:Suggestion to the Contingent 2010/01/07 19:25:39 (permalink)
I created a Facebook page called Hot Dog Nation.  Hot Dog Nation originally started here with the annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tours.  The ability to create and post organized events is very useful and they can be set as private or open to thousands of Facebook users.  Please check us out both here, there and everywhere we can post.  Variety isn't just for food..
Tastytoo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 271
Re:Suggestion to the Contingent 2010/01/25 22:18:39 (permalink)
I'd rather use roadfood.com to learn about the eats and greets. I don't need to log into MORE sites and get less work done!
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
Re:Suggestion to the Contingent 2010/01/26 00:50:15 (permalink)
I'm sure I missed something, but I've been hanging around Roadfood for a while now and have no idea who "the Contingent" is, and I certainly have no need to look beyond Roadfood for information on gatherings. I was talked into creating a Facebook account. I never do anything with it, nor do I want to. Roadfood ain't broke, and I don't want to fix it.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4274
Re:Suggestion to the Contingent 2010/01/26 01:18:46 (permalink)
Rick, The Contingent is the name chosen by a group of Roadfooders from the Chicago/Milwaukee area.  We get together frequently to explore and share the many Roadfood offerings in and around both cities.

Mayor Al suggested that we should come up with a name for our group, not unlike The Glee Club group that meets up frequently.  Since many of our Eat & Greet threads were addressed to "The Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent" we decided, after much discussion,  to shorten that moniker to simply, "The Contingent" .

In addition to our core members, who are all Chicago and Milwaukee area residents, we have a handful of honorary members from other parts of the country who have joined us for some of our tours.  Among our honorary members are buffetbuster, The Travelin' Man, wanderingjew, Mayor Al, and Buffalo Tarheel (sorry if I missed anyone.  Feel free to correct me).

Rick, you or any other interested parties would be welcome to become honorary members.  Just keep your eyes on the Eat & Greet forum for the next Contingent get together.  We post full information on the thread as to where we will meet and where we'll be going for the day.  Just drag yourself up for the next tour and you're in!  At the moment I am working on a warmer weather tour of Chicago that will focus primarily, but not exclusively on places where we'll eat "ala trunk" (my favorite kind of dining!).

This discussion regarding Facebook relates to some of our members who wish to have an additional outlet for dispensing information and attracting new members to Roadfood in general and to our group in particular.

Hope we'll see you on our next run!

Buddy
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2129
Re:Suggestion to the Contingent 2010/01/26 08:25:52 (permalink)
Are you guys are aware that you can subscribe to threads and receive daily, instant, weekly etc. updates? That gives you pretty much the same functionality (better, IMHO) than Facebook etc. for collaborating and notifying people on events.  Give it a shot - I do it with other web sites like AVSForum.com
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 943
Re:Suggestion to the Contingent 2010/01/26 09:25:37 (permalink)
But, unless you know what to look for, you miss threads - especially when they're in the wrong forum, or have a title that really doesn't give a clue to what the content of a thread is. Or, if you're not on 24/7. The casual lurker or poster, who only goes on Roadfood.com once a day, or even once a week, will miss things.

I get notifications, sure, but only to threads I've already posted in. If I haven't seen/posted in it, it might as well be invisible. I can't subscribe to what I don't know about.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Suggestion to the Contingent 2010/01/26 09:32:42 (permalink)
Rick F.

I'm sure I missed something, but I've been hanging around Roadfood for a while now and have no idea who "the Contingent" is, and I certainly have no need to look beyond Roadfood for information on gatherings. I was talked into creating a Facebook account. I never do anything with it, nor do I want to. Roadfood ain't broke, and I don't want to fix it.

Again, I don't know why people aren't getting this, but The Contingent Facebook page is NOT replacing Roadfood.com. It's simply a supplement, as well as a way to post pictures and communicate with lurkers, occasional posters, and people who hang out more often on Facebook than Roadfood. It's also open to whomever wants to join. If you want to join in, great! If you don't, that's fine too. Nobody's twisting your arm. Relax.

And the fact that you, living in LA, don't know about The Contingent, a group based in WI and IL, is understandable. Then again, I've heard of The Glee Club, and I'm not in that part of the country. It's what you pay attention to, which goes back to why we created a Facebook page for The Contingent.

X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Suggestion to the Contingent 2010/01/26 09:34:06 (permalink)
Furthermore, Roadfood.com has a Facebook page, as well as a Facebook page for Roadfood Festival. Gonna criticize Roadfood for that, too, or is it only reserved for The Contingent?
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
Re:Suggestion to the Contingent 2010/01/26 10:17:06 (permalink)
Thanks to all who explained this to me. Much as I'd love to get back to the Chicago area, I doubt it will happen any time soon. I'm sure I'd be as welcome there as others are to the Glee Club!

I'm not criticising any person or organization for having or using a Facebook [or other social networking] page. I just don't use it myself.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1