Suggestions for Honolulu (I'm not kidding)

Author
gimmepork
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2003/05/16 17:49:18 (permalink)

Suggestions for Honolulu (I'm not kidding)

My colleague from work is headed from Indianapolis to Honolulu this weekend to teach a seminar on Monday & Tuesday (flying back on Tuesday). I'm thinking he'll want something a little more substantial than shaved ice and Malasadas, although the Malasadas look swell.
Thanks!

3 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Suggestions for Honolulu (I'm not kidding) 2003/05/16 18:22:24 (permalink)
    Pretty slim pickens when I was there, but I probably could have looked harder. I had enjoyable meals at Charley's steakhouse and Benihana, both massive chains however. If he likes Spam, you can get these Spam on rice things (they look like sushi) all over. Pretty darn tasty if he's into that. Other than that, we found some fruit stands...
    wrfc5
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: Suggestions for Honolulu (I'm not kidding) 2003/05/26 21:35:39 (permalink)
    You have to try the Like Like Drive-in. Not a drive in anymore, but a Honolulu institution. They have the best bananna pie I've ever had. Very much a locals place--its been around forever. Prounounced "leekay leekay", by the way.
    Richard Brooks Alba
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Suggestions for Honolulu (I'm not kidding) 2003/05/27 18:19:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by gimmepork

My colleague from work is headed from Indianapolis to Honolulu this weekend to teach a seminar on Monday & Tuesday (flying back on Tuesday). I'm thinking he'll want something a little more substantial than shaved ice and Malasadas, although the Malasadas look swell.
    Thanks!

First place to go: Ono Hawaiian Foods, (808) 737-2275, 726 Kapahulu Ave. [less than a mile from Waikiki, nearly across the street from Leonard's Bakery, where they have the best malasadas!] - great authentic Hawaiian eats, incl. lau-lau or kalua pork, lomi-lomi salmon, etc., etc., etc.

On the other side of town, closer to the airport (and close to Hilo Hattie's - if your colleague needs to pick up some locally-made aloha shirts on a budget, this is THE place), is Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch & Crab (808) 545-7979, 580 N. Nimitz Hwy. - Sam is a hot local chef, and the prices at this place are quite reasonable; unique selection of Island-style omlettes for breakfast.

Ubiquitous there are the ABC convenience stores, and for a quick cheap and substantial snack, try the spam musubi [spam & rice wrapped w/ a little nori] in just about any of 'em
    Aloha,
    Richard
    Berkeley/SF, CA
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1