Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA

Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10424
2012/06/06 15:08:10 (permalink)

Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA

Yeah, I know there are several threads already on Charlottesville, but I started a new thread because:

a) Most of them are four or more years old
b) They asked specific questions that really don't fall into what we are looking for.

We need suggestions for dinner Saturday night and breakfast Sunday morning near Charlottesville, where we are spending the night.  Nothing high end or anything we have to get dressed up for.  Fried chicken, bbq or Southern food is preferable, but we are open minded.  And any chance there is a good place to get pie in town?

Any thoughts on Pig N Steak in Madison, VA?  How about Bluegrass Grill and BakeryWhite Spot for a Gus Burger?  Barbeque Exchange in Gordonsville? 

We will also be visiting Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, so a dinner suggestion near there instead might be a good idea. 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/06/06 16:40:34

18 Replies Related Threads

hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1098
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/06 16:31:22 (permalink)
    Last July, my wife and I had an excellent brunch/lunch at The Pigeon Hole which is right near the campus.  I had a homemade sausage biscuit sandwich with a homemade ale based mustard.  My wife got shut out of the mac and cheese but seemed very please with the country ham and eggs that she ended up with.  There were many things that looked great on other people's (warning mostly students trying to sound intelligent which since it is UVA they probably are) tables.

The website says open on weekends from 9-3. 
    NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/06 16:59:52 (permalink)
    I _hear_ the Bluegrass Bakery is really really good, especially if you like bacon. 
    But I have never been able to get in it, since I have young kids and every time I have gone, it has been long lines. Maybe now with college out its a bit easier to get in though.  Last time it was a 30 minute wait just to get into the line lol. (not sure how long it was once you were in the line)
    NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/06 17:02:31 (permalink)
    I have always found decent (and reasonably cheap) pie at the Fried chicken joint,  Wayside Takeout  Last time I went their chicken had lost something from previous visits, but they still had good pie in the rotating cooler next to the door.   Pie seems to be getting harder to find these days it seems.
    NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/06 17:04:14 (permalink)
    As far as BBQ Exchange - that is somewhere I need to get to soon and have pretty much only heard good things, one person didnt like the ribs so much, another wasnt that enamored with the pulled pork, but generally positive reviews.

I want to go for the simple fact they have fried green tomatoes, about my favorite food.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 576
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/06 17:23:00 (permalink)

I enjoyed the fried chicken at Wayside Takeout last fall.

Glenn

rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/06 17:49:46 (permalink)
    The Pig and Steak isn't bad...I've never had the Steak side of the house, only the BBQ.

Tried a Pulled Pork sandwhich and a group of us split a rack of ribs.....nothing special, just OK BBQ. I like a little more smoke on my Q.....

They claim to have fresh cut steaks....better yet just up the road a bit at the Culpeper AG Center Saturday night there is a tractor pull to benefit a local child with a heart defect....BBQ and Tractor pull now that's a Saturday night!!!

If you decide on The Pig and Steak shoot me a PM....I'm just up the road a piece in Culpeper.

I've not had good luck with The Wayside....I know I'm in the minority, but I just don't think it's all that good.
    There is also a new place in Culpeper called The Culpeper Cattle Company in the Stable....haven't been yet but have heard nothing but good things!

http://www2.starexponent.com/news/2012/mar/31/you-dont-have-be-main-street-ar-1806663/

post edited by rebeltruce - 2012/06/06 17:54:44
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/06 23:31:30 (permalink)
    hatteras04-
    Thanks for the tip on The Pigeon Hole.  The menu looks very interesting and right upour alley.  The one negative is that they don't open until 9:00AM on weekends.  We are early morning people and hope to be at James Monroe's Ash Lawn-Highland when it opens at 9:00.  But, who knows, maybe we will actually sleep in for once.

NascarDad-
    Very appreciative of your replies.  The lines at Bluegrass Bakery most likely won't scare us off, since we would probably be there early.  Wayside Takeout may be perfect if we are tired and just want to take food back to the hotel.  And glad toknow you have heard good things about Barbeque Exchange.  If she is in the mood for bbq, then that may be our first choice.

rebeltruce-
    Thanks for the first hand report about Pig N Steak, even if it didn't make a great impression.  It sounds like it wouldn't be worth the extra drive.  
    Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/07 11:08:49 (permalink)
    You're coming to Virginia and you didn't email me? Harumpf!

You mention wanting early morning fare (it would help knowing the area of town you're staying in). Terry and I have enjoyed breakfast at Blue Moon Diner on Main st. Small quirky place. Don't be in a hurry. We also like The Nook (http://www.thenookcville.com/)  Home made corned beef hash.

Most places I'm familar with are on the downtown mall.
    Marco & Luca make wonderful fried dumplings and seaseme noodles.
    Chaps has good ice cream and there is also a gelato place.
    The Flat on Water St. makes savory & sweet crepes.
    Across Ridge Rd. there's Shebeen - a South African pub.
    Sorry, I've never eaten fried chicken or BBQ in C'ville - to many interantional delights!
    Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/07 11:25:39 (permalink)
    Might be a bit too far out of your way, but unique: Tanglewood Ordinary
    http://ordinary.com/

NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/07 11:40:29 (permalink)
    Not roadfood, but If you are in the mood for something different, definitely try Peter Chang's China Grill.  (no relation to PF Chang's, Peter is a renown chef and former chef at the Chinese Embassy in DC and the former personal chef to the President of China) But despite that resume, the place is not super expensive, maybe a buck or two more than a regular chinese joint.

If nothing else try the Dry Fried Eggplant app. Not sure if their menu is the same as the Richmond location, but if they have it, also try the Deep Fried Pork Belly app.  Both of these have a considerable amount of heat with them though, I usually counter them with Coriander Fish Rolls.  I would eat at Peter Chang's for the appetizers alone.  I want to try the Peter rolls but they don't have them at the Richmond restaurant. Peter runs both places and drives between the 2, spending more time in Richmond these days since that is his newest store. 

NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/07 11:43:59 (permalink)
    Williamsburger

Might be a bit too far out of your way, but unique: Tanglewood Ordinary
    http://ordinary.com/

That is in my neck of the woods.  Or close, anyhow.   You are right about out of the way, its probably 30 minutes on 64 then another 15 minutes on 522 to get to the Ordinary from Cville.

I don't go there much anymore, maybe because I like leftovers and of course, no such thing there. Also last time we went it was sort of disappointing. 
    Still a pretty unique experience, family  style dining meets a meat in 3, in a way that I would bet was much more like how tavern dining of old used to work, so if you will be going that way it can be worth a stop.
    post edited by NascarDad - 2012/06/07 11:46:09
    Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/07 13:20:22 (permalink)
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/07 15:01:04 (permalink)
    buffetbuster, if the White Spot is still open (it's been over 15 years since I've been to Charlottesville), you definitely have to squeeze in a Gus burger (or a one-eyed Gus burger with fried egg) while you are there.
    Littleman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 590
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/07 17:32:55 (permalink)
    Here's a few suggestions.
    Bluegrass Grill and Bakery @ 313 2nd St. SE, Charlottesville, VA 434 - 295 - 9700.
    Maya Restaurant @ 633 West Main St., Charlottesville, VA 434 - 979 - 6292.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/08 15:00:31 (permalink)
    A big thank you to everyone for the helpful suggestions.

Williamsburger-
    Sorry, I didn't contact you, but it doesn't look like we will be near your end of the state.  Tanglewood Ordinary sure looks likemy kind of place, but looks too far away.  Instead, we will probably end up with dinner at Charlie's Chicken, which is situated perfectly geographically speaking.  Thanks so much!

NascarDad-
    I really like the suggestion for China Grill and if she is craving Chinese, we may go in that direction.  I had no idea it was there, so much appreciated!

rebeltruce-
    I am going to send you a private message.
    danimal15
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1092
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/08 16:58:28 (permalink)
    We had wonderful fried chicken after visiting Monticello in 1992, but for the life of me I can't remember what the restaurant was called.
    Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/08 17:51:07 (permalink)
    danimal15

We had wonderful fried chicken after visiting Monticello in 1992, but for the life of me I can't remember what the restaurant was called.

Might it have been Michie Tavern, just down the road from Monticello? We ate there after visiting and were pleasantly surprised that it was so good. They also had some really nice stewed tomatoes on the menu.
    http://www.michietavern.com/

http://souptonutsblog.blo...riginal-road-food.html
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Suggestions needed for Charlottesville, VA 2012/06/11 11:26:40 (permalink)
    Just wanted to thank everyone again for all the helpful suggestions.  We did end up eating dinner at Charlie's Chicken in Amherst.  I more or less left it up to her and being a fried chicken lover, this was her choice.  We thought the chicken was about a B, but some of the sides deserved an A.  I will post some photos when I get a chance.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1