Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Sunday Morning Breakfast

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 62
sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Wed, 04/5/06 9:50 PM (permalink)
AndreaB
I'm a little tired of being disappointed with the Cohiba brand .............. for one a Cohiba to be any good must come from Cuba and not the Dominican line .......... and two there are so many counterfeit Cohiba's around that I wont even bother any more. Three Cuba no longer hold the market on fine cigars.
I at one time did smoke Romeo and Julieta's but in the last three years that brand has been "green" not aged properly. I have a few boxes that I bought 2 years ago and they are just now coming into a half way descent smoke. I like Romeo's in the tube for travailing
And as for " Graycliffe in the Bahamas!" sorry to report that I never heard of them, must be a east coast specialty thing.
I think the finest cigar rolled today is a Fuente Fuente OpusX and my favorite size in that smoke is a FFOX Perfecxion #2 6 3/8x52this is my Sunday smoke.

During the week in my studio I'll light up a Nat Sherman 6x52 or a Punch Gran Puro Pico Bonito 6x50 or a Hoyo de Monterrey (Rothschilds) EMS 5x50
I buy my cigars from Mike's in Miami http://www.mikescigars.com/index.cfm no tax if you live outside of Florida.................. tell them Frank sent you ...lol

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Thu, 04/6/06 1:27 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tsores

Sunday morning means a trip to the bakery/deli for lox and bagels. This means plain or poppy seed bagels, plain cream cheese, nova lox. The deli I frequent makes one of the best chocolate covered doughnuts so I may bring one home. Brew a pot of coffee, add the Sunday paper and the morning is complete. We rarely deviate from this routine. It is not as elaborate as the above descriptions, but it sure is a tasty breakfast that I look forward to every week. This has been a tradition ever since I can remember my father taking me with him as a tiny tot.

I used to enjoy the identical breakfast routine until I moved to Wisconsin. Finding good lox and cream cheese is no problem. The lox out here is as good as Chicago's. Locating a decent bagel is like looking for a lost child in Time's Square on New year's Eve when the ball drops. Unless I drive to Benji's in Milwaukee or head south to Illinos, it's not going to happen. If Fannie's, NY B&B, or Kaufman's would only open a Wisconsin store, my life would be complete.

CSD
    Born in Chicago
    Escaped to Wisconsin
    Still looking for the ultimate bagel

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
      RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Thu, 04/6/06 4:40 PM (permalink)
      Re the cigars, the last Cohibas I had were in Haiti, and yah they were Cuban and good Re the Graycliffe cigars, they're from the Graycliffe Hotel in the Bahamas and can be found at Liquor Barn. They're somewhat expensive but much better than the Romeo Y Juliet or the Cohibas from the Dominican Republic. And yah, they are nice after the Sunday brunch!

Andrea

mtgreen

• Total Posts: 25
        RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Fri, 04/21/06 2:06 PM (permalink)
        fresh sliced tomatoes is more than welcome on many breakfast plates down in dixie,please include lots of black pepper

Roy

• Total Posts: 131
          RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Thu, 07/13/06 12:11 AM (permalink)
          My idea of a great Sunday breakfast is an omelet made at home for the missus and me. I believe that diner omelets are an overcooked variety as they mix everything in the egg mix and let it fry out flat till the last minute. Easy on the fry cook but not the best result.
          I precut/ chop,green peppers, onions, fried (not microwaved)bacon, sliced tomato, sliced Velveeta cheese and then make the egg mix in individual small bowls...two eggs and a little water (never milk).
          Add a small amount of chopped peppers and onion to the mix then pour over a preheated and buttered fry pan for each one. A level burner is important to get a level result. After a minute or so at medium to low heat, add more raw onion, pepper, chopped bacon, two or three tomato slices topped with an equal amount of velveeta on one side of the omelet only
          a shake or two
          of dill weed
          the wife does not like it so that is a personal decision.
          Put a pan lid over the whole pan(s) and let cook for about a minute till egg is opaque. Then, the hard part..flip the side which is unadorned with the toppingsover the side that is so they line up perfectly. I have found this to be a entire upper body exercise...you cannot do it with a wrist alone...it takes moving the entire body while holding the spatula.
          After the flip on each frypan, put the cover back on for 45 seconds at low medium heat and then slide the deliscious devils onto the plates with the pre-buttered hot toast and serve with coffee and a glass of tomato juice.
          I have never been able to get an omelet this way in a diner, at a custom made brunch or anywhere else.
          I know it works for us. Nice and moist in the center.
          I wish I had the talent to do decent home fries at home to complement the omelet but I have had a hard time duplicating some of the great Greek diner offerings at some places. Needs well done potatoes, spices (lots of papricka)edges are crispy and
          you have to see the skillet do a full toss frequently. yum!!

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
            RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Thu, 07/13/06 12:44 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by mtgreen

fresh sliced tomatoes is more than welcome on many breakfast plates down in dixie,please include lots of black pepper

Tomatoes with eggs, etc., ROCK!!!

Let me tell you about a dive bar, hole in the wall, in a bad neighborhood, but rocking breakfast in Cincinnati. The 1132 Bar on Race and 12th Sts. in Over the Rhine, across from Washington Park, does a great breakfast, on the cheap [for those not familiar, Washington Park is home to the homeless, and most of Over the Rhine is 'shady' to say the least}. The bar is owned by an ex-cop named Carl. He boils potatoes in the morning, and slices, and cooks them to order. His standard breakfast includes the potatoes, 2 eggs any style, meat, toast and sliced tomatoes. Great stuff!! And Weidemann on tap. Not open on Sunday, though.

CasperImproved

• Total Posts: 59
              RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Thu, 07/13/06 7:17 PM (permalink)
              When I was in the Army 1980 ~ 1990 (Signal Core), and receiving training in Augusta, GA. (twice for 1 year each).... the night time breakfast was most excellent. Omelettes on demand were the *best*. I would order an Omelette (2am ~ 7am when the shift training accommodated) with everything... better then any truck stop I ever visited with my truck driving step-dad while young...

Three/four fresh eggs, sautéed bell pepper, onion, bacon, tomato, mushrooms, cheese (American), parsley, etc.... and a side of 1/2 dozen pieces of bacon... with buttery wheat toast & preserves can't be beat (in my memory). Took less then 10 minutes to hit the table, and with a couple of glasses of whole milk.... I can say, that other then the field time w/o a mobile kitchen, was some of the best eats I ever had. Of course, C-rats, were rather bad :-)

For you olbies... I went to basic for 16 weeks (the Army was experimenting on basic training), and trained using the M14 with the flip leaf sights... loved that rifle with it's heft (grew up hunting squirrel & rabbit from the age of eight), switched to an M203, and had fun in basic with that. Good memories like the live night fire course where I did exactly what the drill sargent said not to do... I fired at the tank (and in full auto) from the bunker. The sight of the rounds bouncing of the tank were memorable... Caught a lot of heck for that, but was forgiven based on the weapon switch. Eighteen is a good age... of course, being in the Signal Core, and being brigade level support or above... I have many good memories of the time I spent in the military... like being in Germany, and my first experience with German pizza included sliced boiled eggs on it.. I first thought "that is gross" but after the first couple of bites, realized that it was an "excellent" idea... eggs go great with pizza sauce.

Sorry to go on like that... but the breakfast thing, and the egg thing had me thinking about good times.

Casper

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Sun, 07/16/06 6:01 PM (permalink)
                Breakfast for me would be Rye Toast with sausage links, and a bowl of grits..
                Or pigs in a blanket.
                I RARELY eat eggs...
                It would have to be something real special on the menu to get me to order them.
                There used to be a diner in Marlborough, Mass named Bumpy's that had a killer breakfast menu. And, damned if I cannot remember what it was called. Very similar to Eggs Benedict style, but I always got the eggs soft scrambled instead of poached.
                I know it had fresh spinach, brocolli, eggs and a fantastic very lemony hollandaise sauce over english muffins. No meat... I had sausage on the side.
                I lived there for a bit in 2002/03.. That was the last time I ordered eggs for breakfast.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                  RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Tue, 07/18/06 12:40 AM (permalink)
                  Typical Sunday breakfast here at Casa Capitán if I cook:

Either Farmer John extra hot chorizo or Farmer John Firehouse Hot Sausage, fried, drained and scrambled with 8 eggs.
                  Steamed corn tortillas or grilled flour tortillas.
                  Fresh pico de gallo and/or Pico Pica sauce.
                  Waffles with huckleberry syrup or jam.
                  Hazlenut coffee.

If I don't cook I make the 1 minute trip to Farmer Boys and order:

Chile-cheese omlette with hash browns, dry sourdough toast with orange marmalade.
                  Hazlenut coffee.

If I happen to find myself in England I go with the full English brekkie, grill the tomatoes please. Coffee, no tea. I'm an American dammit.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Mon, 07/31/06 2:16 PM (permalink)
                    Because we eat and stay up so late Saturday night, Sunday morning breakfast has never been special in my home, but a big early noon-1pm "Sunday dinner" is.

njkim

• Total Posts: 142
                      RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Thu, 08/24/06 4:42 PM (permalink)
                      Talking about omelettes made to order - I spent a majority of this year in a hospital for several surgeries, and hospital food in general is just bad. But one morning the nice girl who delivered the trays heard me grumbling and told me that i could get a ready to make omelette. Well, these omelettes were the best that I have ever, ever had. Better then any diner, restaurant or even home made! Not only did I write a rave review about the chef when I received my 'how did we do' survey from the hospital, but upon being discharged, I found him and tipped him.

fhoran

• Total Posts: 185
                        RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Tue, 08/29/06 10:39 PM (permalink)
                        You all know those days when you wake up thinking that your arteries have been working way too efficiently lately? My Sunday breakfast cure is a sausage patty on english muffin with poached egg on top smothered in sausage gravy. Homefries on the side with more gravy and homemade buttered raisin bread toast with boysenberry preserves. Black coffee too (because cream and sugar aren't good for you). Fred

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
                          RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Wed, 08/30/06 10:22 AM (permalink)
                          Fred,

Not to get too personal, but where did a Horan from metro Boston pick up this sausage gravy kick? And what's your version? (and have you tried making it with bangers or linguica?)

I heard of sausage gravy as a kid only because my step-grandfather was from North Carolina. But by the time I came along a series of coronaries had put his sausage gravy days well behind him. Always been on the list of forbidden foods for me, but sometimes I live on the wild side.

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Wed, 08/30/06 11:21 AM (permalink)
                            Sunday mornings are one of the absolute joys in my life.

Ess-a-Bagels, hand cut nova lox, cream cheese, onions, tomatoes, great coffee, Sunday New York Times. Perfection.

fhoran

RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Wed, 08/30/06 6:15 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Ashphalt

Fred,

Not to get too personal, but where did a Horan from metro Boston pick up this sausage gravy kick? And what's your version? (and have you tried making it with bangers or linguica?)

I heard of sausage gravy as a kid only because my step-grandfather was from North Carolina. But by the time I came along a series of coronaries had put his sausage gravy days well behind him. Always been on the list of forbidden foods for me, but sometimes I live on the wild side.

Ashpalt, not too personal at all. I grew up on Irish breakfasts in Dorchester and later in West Roxbury where my family moved when we became what my grandfather called "two toilet Irish" which wasn't like Lace Curtain Irish but still moving up in the world) As an adult, I used to do a fair amount of traveling doing consulting work. The first place I had sausage gravy was at a Bob Evans in Tenn. I told a kind person I was working with about that experience and he took pity on me and brought me to a Roadfood kind of place where I discovered the joys of a real Southern breakfast. When I make sausage gravy, I just cook some sage flavored sausage and then make a medium white sauce for it. Never tried it with linguica or bangers but have made it with smoked salmon. Fred

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
                                RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Thu, 08/31/06 10:26 AM (permalink)
                                Makes sense. My Dad travelled a lot. Textile industry. So we had a lot of Southern influence (at least by Rhode Island standards where Southern usually meant Sicilian ).

Sundancer7

RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Thu, 08/31/06 11:59 AM (permalink)
                                  I have recently enjoyed meeting a friend at the Atlanta Bread Company in Maryville, TN for coffee, newspaper and a breakfast roll at 7:00AM. Very relaxing.

http://www.atlantabread.com/

Paul E. Smith
                                  knoxville, TN

fhoran

RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Thu, 08/31/06 6:32 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I have recently enjoyed meeting a friend at the Atlanta Bread Company in Maryville, TN for coffee, newspaper and a breakfast roll at 7:00AM. Very relaxing.

http://www.atlantabread.com/

Paul E. Smith
                                    knoxville, TN

Paul, I think Tennessee invented breakfast. No slam on any other place but I've had the best breakfasts in a bunch of places between Knoxville and Nashville. Unfortunately I don't remember their names. I do know that the original Cracker Barrel got it's start there as well and it's my place to go when traveling and not able to find roadfood. Fred

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                                      RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Fri, 09/1/06 2:28 AM (permalink)
                                      Mr. Horan, you ain't lived until you've had your sausage gravy made with Farmer John's Firehouse Hot breakfast sausage. The meat is red with cayenne and has plenty of dried chile pieces and seeds mixed in. I know you can't get Farmer John back East, but I'm sure the product is duplicated locally. If you like a bit of heat, try it in your gravy.

fhoran

RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Fri, 09/1/06 5:11 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by enginecapt

Mr. Horan, you ain't lived until you've had your sausage gravy made with Farmer John's Firehouse Hot breakfast sausage. The meat is red with cayenne and has plenty of dried chile pieces and seeds mixed in. I know you can't get Farmer John back East, but I'm sure the product is duplicated locally. If you like a bit of heat, try it in your gravy.

Captain, thanks for the tip! Fred

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                          RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Sat, 09/2/06 2:49 PM (permalink)
                                          When I was growing up, we never had the traditional Sunday dinner at Grandma’s. But we did have Sunday breakfast after mass on a rotating schedule of my aunts’ and uncles’ houses. I haven't thought about it for years but remember it in detail.

The first Sunday of the month was at Aunt Honey’s, who would make a traditional breakfast of bacon and/or ham, fried and scrambled eggs, home fries, toast and juice. Occasionally, she’d make what is still called “farmers’ breakfast” or “country eggs” in diners. A big panful of fried ham, potatoes, onions (and sometimes green peppers) with a bunch of beaten eggs poured over it and cooked. I guess it’s really a frittata but never heard that term then. That was my favorite week because she’d always set up a table for us kids in the living room so we could watch the Bertie the Bunyip show.

Next week was our house, where my mom would serve scrapple and sausage, French toast or pancakes with a variety of syrups and a big crystal bowl of mixed fruit cup. Children got French toast cut into animal shapes (we still have bunny FT every Easter morning).

The third week was when my bachelor Uncle Donnie cooked at my grandparents’ house because his apartment was too small to accommodate all of us. He’d make some ‘gourmet’ surprise like Eggs Benedict, quiche, or omelets that I suspect were “morning after” breakfast recipes from Playboy magazine. That was the only week alcohol was served – Bloody Marys or Mimosas or some other AM cocktail.

Week four was Aunt Nancy’s turn. She made dried beef gravy and hers was great! She served it over toast with fried potatoes on the side or vice versa. I like mine (and still do) on the potatoes with toast on the side. Once in a while, she’d make mashed potatoes and we’d have the creamed chipped beef in a MP crater. She also would make miniature sized muffins or sticky buns as an appetizer while we were waiting for the potatoes to cook, because she made “raw fries” rather than “home fries”.

If there were 5 Sundays in the month, we’d all go out for breakfast at a diner on that Sunday.

fhoran

RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Sun, 09/3/06 10:05 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by RubyRose
                                            [Week four was Aunt Nancy’s turn. She made dried beef gravy and hers was great! She served it over toast with fried potatoes on the side or vice versa. I like mine (and still do) on the potatoes with toast on the side. Once in a while, she’d make mashed potatoes and we’d have the creamed chipped beef in a MP crater.

My brothers and I went to my sainted mother's house this weekend to do a lobster boil; (clams and shrimp too) and just picked corn cooked on the grill. My brother, the retired Navy Chief, started getting all misty eyed remembering chipped beef in Chief's mess. We had just finished breakfast (cheddar and garlic sausage, scrambled eggs with sauteed onions and portobella mushrooms with fresh dill and rosemary) with homefries, finished off with Dunkin Donuts when he started telling us about his love for chipped beef. I've never had it so couldn't share this tender moment but I always thought it was something that you got as a bad school lunch. I can't tell if this is really a dish worth trying (do you make it or buy it?) or if it's somthing like Spam that people know is really a horror show on a plate but eat it to demonstrate their willingness to laugh at death. (For those of you who like Spam, no offense meant - at least it's not lutefisk.)Fred

tarragon

• Total Posts: 354
                                              RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Mon, 09/4/06 1:05 AM (permalink)
                                              RubyRose, you must be from the Philadelphia area! It wasn't the reference to scrapple that caught my eye but the kids watching Bertie the Bunyip ... on WCAU, Channel 10, right?

My stomach is grumbling now, trying to tell me it's hungry (when I know that it isn't, really!). *laughs* That's what I get for reading all these posts about wonderful breakfast food!

Lately, I've been using the Egg Beaters, which I've found to taste just as good as eggs (really, I can't tell the difference!); you can get them with garden vegetables & herbs, cheese and chive, and there's another that I haven't tried yet. Makes pretty decent omelettes. I've also tried the whole grain Thomas' english muffins, which aren't too bad (I like the whole wheat-oat ones)--it takes a while to get used to the whole grains, though, especially if you're not used to eating them. [:O)]

Guess what I'm going to have for breakfast in the morning? LOL

RubyRose

RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Mon, 09/4/06 7:44 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by fhoran

quote:
                                                Originally posted by RubyRose
                                                [Week four was Aunt Nancy’s turn. She made dried beef gravy and hers was great! She served it over toast with fried potatoes on the side or vice versa. I like mine (and still do) on the potatoes with toast on the side. Once in a while, she’d make mashed potatoes and we’d have the creamed chipped beef in a MP crater.

My brothers and I went to my sainted mother's house this weekend to do a lobster boil; (clams and shrimp too) and just picked corn cooked on the grill. My brother, the retired Navy Chief, started getting all misty eyed remembering chipped beef in Chief's mess. We had just finished breakfast (cheddar and garlic sausage, scrambled eggs with sauteed onions and portobella mushrooms with fresh dill and rosemary) with homefries, finished off with Dunkin Donuts when he started telling us about his love for chipped beef. I've never had it so couldn't share this tender moment but I always thought it was something that you got as a bad school lunch. I can't tell if this is really a dish worth trying (do you make it or buy it?) or if it's somthing like Spam that people know is really a horror show on a plate but eat it to demonstrate their willingness to laugh at death. (For those of you who like Spam, no offense meant - at least it's not lutefisk.)Fred

Here's a thread re: chipped beef from a few years ago, including my recipe for making it.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=308&SearchTerms=dried,beef

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                                  RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Mon, 09/4/06 8:33 AM (permalink)

Go here:

http://www.jalanjalan.com/ericbeef/ericbeefarc/2004_03.html

And look forMarch 25, 2004
                                                  "In the Kitchen with Eric"

fhoran

RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Mon, 09/4/06 8:37 AM (permalink)
                                                    [quote

Here's a thread re: chipped beef from a few years ago, including my recipe for making it.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=308&SearchTerms=dried,beef

Thanks RubyRose

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                      • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                      RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Mon, 09/4/06 9:53 AM (permalink)
                                                      Still eat creamed chipped beef to this day.I have fond memories of Mom serving it for dinner when our budget was tight.By the way, besides a good home made version, Stouffers still has a decent frozen chipped beef....

RubyRose

• Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
                                                        RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Mon, 09/4/06 10:16 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by tarragon

RubyRose, you must be from the Philadelphia area! It wasn't the reference to scrapple that caught my eye but the kids watching Bertie the Bunyip ... on WCAU, Channel 10, right?

Although I don't remember if it was channel 10, we only got channels 3, 6 and 10 so it was one of the three. Yes, I grew up in the land of Bertie the Bunyip, Chief Halftown and Sally Starr.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                                          • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                                                          RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Mon, 09/4/06 11:26 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by annpeeples

Still eat creamed chipped beef to this day.I have fond memories of Mom serving it for dinner when our budget was tight.By the way, besides a good home made version, Stouffers still has a decent frozen chipped beef....

I always thought is was good, as long as it was made from dried beef, vs. ground beef, aka USMC.

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
                                                            • Joined: 10/18/2005
                                                            • Location: albuquerque, NM
                                                            RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast Mon, 09/4/06 11:48 AM (permalink)
                                                            Ruby,
                                                            you left out happy the clown

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 62

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com